Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mallet Putter?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rkangrah

rkangrah

What are you looking for???!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

I see Putters have two kind of models.  Blade style and Mallet style.   What kind of Golfers is more suitable using mallet putter?  Type of putting stroke?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Chris92009

Chris92009

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92152
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

I believe it has to do with the style of the stroke...SBST or Swinging Like A Gate....if you like SBST then a mallet is usually perfect since they are more face balanced in many cases perfectly face balanced such as Scotty Cameron Kombi.  On the hand there is a visual aspect one should consider...the mallet may look large and cumbersome...one can have some blades made to accomodate a SBST stroke...such as the Scotty Cameron Newport 2.7.  Just some thoughts from my perspective...I love them both so you may need to experiment on the putting green!  Enjoy

#3 rkangrah

rkangrah

What are you looking for???!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

View PostChris92009, on 14 October 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

I believe it has to do with the style of the stroke...SBST or Swinging Like A Gate....if you like SBST then a mallet is usually perfect since they are more face balanced in many cases perfectly face balanced such as Scotty Cameron Kombi.  On the hand there is a visual aspect one should consider...the mallet may look large and cumbersome...one can have some blades made to accomodate a SBST stroke...such as the Scotty Cameron Newport 2.7.  Just some thoughts from my perspective...I love them both so you may need to experiment on the putting green!  Enjoy

How do you describe swinging like a gate?  compared to usual putting stroke?

#4 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

I prefer mallets as my stroke is more SBST. I've tried LOTS of blade putters and the only ones that come close are center shafted and face balanced. I went from off set to center shaft a couple of  years ago and it helped dramaticaly.

A "gate" swing will have the club head arc during the stroke so that you have to time it perfectly to get the head square at impact. Ball position can have a huge affect too. Too far back and you push the putt and if too far forward you'll pull them. I think most people have more of a "gate" type swing but you will have to test to figure out what your's is. Picture the putter moving away from the ball on the back stroke, then back through impact and then the follow through. If the club goes to the inside of the line on the back stroke, you have a "gate" swing. If it follows the line, it's SBST. Pretty basic but sometimes hard to tell. Having someone view your stroke from behind the ball will help.

Best thing to me is to go to a Golf Galaxy or some other store that has a putting green and lots of different style putters and try as many as you can. You'll find out pretty quickly which fits you the best.

#5 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14457
  • Ebay ID:choeppner99
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I don't think it would be fair to say a blade or a mallet is more suited to any specific stroke type.  What matters is what the toe hang is on the putter.  

Most people that are SBST will use something that is face balanced which can be done by a Long Neck, a Goose Neck, a Heel Shaft Stub for Souble Bend Shaft or a Center-Shaft.

Most people that are classified as having a gate stroke will use necks like a Plumber Neck, or Santa Fe Style Neck which will have more toe hang.

Of course, there are always exceptions to each rule. LOL

I'd start looking at what head shape is most visually pleasing to you and then working on finding one that has the neck/toe hang that you need.

-Chris

Posted Image

Please feel free to contact me at:
Choeppner@Doglegright.com

#6 mattclar1

mattclar1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62177
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

The style of putter is not indicative of the type of stroke.  If a person has a straight back straight through stroke they should have a putter that has a head that is head weighted, not toe weighted
Driver: Callaway FT-Tour
3-wood: Cleveland classic xl tour
Hybrid: Titleist 910 H 18* Fuji Motore X
Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone J40CB Project X
Wedges: 52* + 58* Cleveland RTX CB

#7 BENNYSUPREME

BENNYSUPREME

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37544
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have a SBST putting style and use SeeMore putters.  Both Mallet style.  Then I also use a New Port Select 2.5 that works for me even though its not face balanced, I think :secret:
Adams Tour LS 9.5(10.5*) w/DI6x
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-PW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 converter
52*/56*/60* 2 Dot Cleveland Reg 588 CBs
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors