Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TM Burner 2.0 Irons - How to choose between stiff vs. regular ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DjPiLL

DjPiLL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127808
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

Ok so I am new to the game.  Been playing consistently since early May.  Shoot somewhere in the 100-120 range, although every week I am improving.  

I bought a set of TM Burner 2.0 irons 4-AW off a guy on craigslist.  They were stiff steel shaft irons.  I really wanted regular flex graphite, but I got a super sweet deal that I couldn't refuse and I wanted a new set of irons so I snagged these up.

Anyways I have been hitting them, but just recently I also picked up a set of regular flex graphite TM 2.0 irons (more or less the same, just different shafts).  

How do I know which irons I should be playing with?  My swing speed definitely isn't more than 90.  I'd say usually around 80-85.  I am just trying to swing a little slower so I can get more control and technique down.  I know I can bring both sets to the range and then see which ones "feel better".  But at the range I am usually only hitting 30-50% of my shots properly anyways so it's tough to tell.

I am leaning towards just selling the steel shaft irons and going with the graphite regular flex ones.  I have a set of Ping G15 hybrids (17, 20, 23) in graphite regular flex so I don't need to carry a 4 iron.  I also just bought a set of Cleveland wedges so I don't need the AW either.  

Thanks in advance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

@HitEmTrue1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
GolfWRX Likes : 480

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

I would just like to point out that the graphite shafts may be quite a bit lighter than the steel ones, and that regular flex steel shafts might be actually best for you.

#3 inmens

inmens

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55261
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

I play those clubs flex stiff. But i was on a fitness sesion with a pro, who measured my swing speed (100-105 mph) and recommended that flex. For your swing speed i guess you need a regular flex.

#4 pingB

pingB

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129023
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

Go with whatever you like the most.  I have regular flex in my whole bag.  I can hit my 7 iron about 165 on a calm day.  The main difference I've seen from a stiffer flex is the flight.  The ball with my softer flex goes way up in the air which I like.  It's actually a littler harder for me to hit knock down shots, but I like the real high flight with a soft landing.  I have a set of stiff that I honestly see no difference in what direction the ball ultimately goes, primarily the ball flight is lower with the stiffer.  And they just don't feel as good.  I tend to want to over swing them.. where as with my regular flex if I can get into a good rhythm I can't hit them bad..

Then again I'm using ping g15s which are very forgiving and have a lot of weight on the sole of the head which give me a lot of feel of the club head.  Some people like to feel the club as an extension of their arm vs just feeling the head..

all about feel.  Especially as a high handicapper.  When you get into the 70s then you might start fine tuning..  But for now get something that feels good to you and make sure the head is angled properly for your height..

Edited by pingB, 12 October 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#5 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

The right shaft should be apparent in the fitting.  The ball will fly better with the better shaft for you.  Hit them both and see which performs better.  If you can't tell, then you need another pair of eyes.

#6 Golfalot702

Golfalot702

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137353
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Id go get professionally fitted. I play those irons in a stiff and am able to hit them further than a regular set I tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors