Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

KBS C Taper going higher and shorter than KBS Tour

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dropnbassonu

dropnbassonu

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104741
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

So, here is my problem:  I currently play Titleist 710 AP2 3-6, CB 7-PW with KBS Tour Stiff... I have on order Titleist 712 CB 3-6, MB 7-PW KBS C Taper Stiff to help lower ball flight and spin.  Today I hit the 712 AP2 with the C Taper Stiff and they were consistently 5-8 Yards shorter than my current clubs.  Not only were they shorter, but I also hit them higher.  This completely blows my mind, because the C Tapers are supposed to go lower and further..... this was true across the board with every club I hit.... also, another thing I noticed was the shaft felt alot lighter and the swing weight felt a lot heavier with the C Taper....any idea what the heck could be going on?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mizgoodie

Mizgoodie

golf happy! golf good!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45596
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

the distance  loss could be from lack of spin...   the high ball flight could be a sub conscious thing to get more spin on the ball.     ctaper  will only go farther for people who are high spin players with px,dg, and kbs tour..  the kbs tour are a little more back weighted than the c taper    same head in a swap form kbs tour to c taper the ctaper will have a higher swing weight..

#3 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Different shaft bend profiles can create different impact locations on the face.  Combine that with a different weight/balance, which can do the same thing, and you have the potential for the "opposite effect" to occur from what a shaft design is advertised to do.  

It does happen for some players and if a softer tip section just gets the clubhead returning to the ball in a "better" position for you, then it can definitely produce a stronger ball flight.

#4 dropnbassonu

dropnbassonu

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104741
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Yeah you guys are right.....the problem is I spin the ball too much with my KBS Tours....into the wind is a definite ballooner.  I wish I could just have GD Tour AD-DI's in all my clubs, b/c they are perfect in my woods and hybrids  :-(

#5 phizzy30

phizzy30

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106656
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

C-tapers definately do not launch higher nor do they spin more than the kbs tour, but you corrected yourself in your previous post.  Your most likely experiencing lack of spin.  Too many people think that the c-tapers will fit them without knowing enough about their own swing and spin.

#6 oneaugusta

oneaugusta

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14191
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Sounds like they are to stiff for your swing as well.  Stiff in KBS tour is not the same as KBS C-Taper.  I love the C-Tapers but they really could have done better with the stiffness info.
Titleist 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi purple
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZTX2's Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
Byron Morgan DH11 Mixed Metal Rincon
Byron Morgan 612 Mixed Metal Rincon

#7 racmbs

racmbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8051
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

View Postoneaugusta, on 09 October 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Sounds like they are to stiff for your swing as well.  Stiff in KBS tour is not the same as KBS C-Taper.  I love the C-Tapers but they really could have done better with the stiffness info.

I'm currently playing C-Taper S, soft-stepped once in my MC/MB combo set and am finding a loss in yardage since moving from KBS Tour. I opted to soft-step after hearing some of the reviews from other posters, and mostly went with my gut after having tested plenty of other shafts in the past and knowing what to expect from the C-Taper. I personally feel they play a lot firmer than stated, and wish I had done R+ as I feel they would have been the perfect fit for me and reduced the spin that I was experiencing with the KBS Tour Stiff I had pulled.

I will say though that as far as consistency is concerned the C-Taper are unmatched to any other iron shaft I've played to date, I'm just finding it hard to "suck it up" on most occasions when I've been comfortable with yardage "X" playing the KBS and have lost some distance since switching....at least 10 yards in some instances.

And I know it's not only me, as I've had a few buddies who are good ball strikers try my bats and they all say the same thing and notice the same results.

#8 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

View Postphizzy30, on 08 October 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

C-tapers definately do not launch higher nor do they spin more than the kbs tour, but you corrected yourself in your previous post.  Your most likely experiencing lack of spin.  Too many people think that the c-tapers will fit them without knowing enough about their own swing and spin.

+1

#9 Mizgoodie

Mizgoodie

golf happy! golf good!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45596
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

View Postjaskanski, on 09 October 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

View Postphizzy30, on 08 October 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

+1

+2     spin on irons is the average golfers friend keeps the ball in the air...  ballnooning and ballnooning into the wind are to different things..

#10 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

View Postracmbs, on 09 October 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

View Postoneaugusta, on 09 October 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

I'm currently playing C-Taper S, soft-stepped once in my MC/MB combo set and am finding a loss in yardage since moving from KBS Tour. I opted to soft-step after hearing some of the reviews from other posters, and mostly went with my gut after having tested plenty of other shafts in the past and knowing what to expect from the C-Taper. I personally feel they play a lot firmer than stated, and wish I had done R+ as I feel they would have been the perfect fit for me and reduced the spin that I was experiencing with the KBS Tour Stiff I had pulled.

I will say though that as far as consistency is concerned the C-Taper are unmatched to any other iron shaft I've played to date, I'm just finding it hard to "suck it up" on most occasions when I've been comfortable with yardage "X" playing the KBS and have lost some distance since switching....at least 10 yards in some instances.

And I know it's not only me, as I've had a few buddies who are good ball strikers try my bats and they all say the same thing and notice the same results.

The bend profile of the C-Taper doesn't fit you well, which it won't for many players.  Just go back to the original KBS Tours and your problem is solved.  

The latest and greatest for one segment of players, will be worse for other types.  This is why many players still play the Dynamic Gold that's been around for many decades....the weight and bend profile simply fits them well, so there's no reason to "upgrade their technology".  It's just a steel tube with a weight and overall flex characteristics.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 ksgolfguy007

ksgolfguy007

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117364
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

I started this year playing DG TI S400 in my MP63 and loved the flight and was consistent with the distances of each club. Just last week I received my new set of clubs MP69 with the C taper stiff. I too was worried that it would be too stiff from what I read here. well all I can say is I love my new clubs and the shaft stiffness works for me. I feel that I do spin the ball a lot and as a result they reduce my spin and thus am able to hit it further.

#12 charl rogers

charl rogers

Rookie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93445
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

look whats your handicap, unless your below 2 in my opinion you cant judge shaft differances,  too many golfers talk their games up, but no way in hell does the c tapers go higher, must be your swing. plus dont buy if you dont go on trackman, stock shafts are decent too you know. dg are prob best in world, i use c tapers and they lowerd my ball flight fine, still hit bad shots with them sometime and if i come out of a long iron it will go high and right so it wil be a swing issue for you most definate

#13 idrive

idrive

gone golfin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31830
  • Ebay ID:golfer84770
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

View Postcharl rogers, on 01 November 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

look whats your handicap, unless your below 2 in my opinion you cant judge shaft differances

I don't agree with this at all.

over a 100,000 people here on Golfwrx would probably agree with me.....

EDIT:

What I was going to say until I saw that...

My club builder who is a KBS dealer talked me out of the C-tapers and stay with the
Tours for my next set.

Edited by idrive, 01 November 2011 - 05:52 PM.

Epon Technity 380 10.* w/ TRPX Ravie
OnOff Labospec F358 18* w/onoff mp613f
TM Gloire Ute's 21-24* w/fuji GL2200
Epon Copper 301's w/kbs tour
Epon Copper Technity 52-58* w/kbs tour
Epon Zen Putter

#14 word

word

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89762
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

To say that a player over 2 can't feel the difference in shafts is ridiculous. I think there is is a cutoff, like very, very new players but it certainly is much higher than a 2.

#15 1980 PLAYER

1980 PLAYER

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131533

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

I have also lost some yards with the C-taper but I think the shaft is to stiff so I just got done soft stepping the stiffs in C-taper so I will find out shortley and maybe get back to this thread.

#16 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

I managed to gain yardage with my change over to C-tapers. Went from S400s to S straight in.

I do fall into the 'high spin' category though.
Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#17 tx33

tx33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98844
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

View Postidrive, on 01 November 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

View Postcharl rogers, on 01 November 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

look whats your handicap, unless your below 2 in my opinion you cant judge shaft differances

I don't agree with this at all.

over a 100,000 people here on Golfwrx would probably agree with me.....

EDIT:

What I was going to say until I saw that...

My club builder who is a KBS dealer talked me out of the C-tapers and stay with the
Tours for my next set.

LOL, based on claims made by those same WRXers in other posts, there are no 100K members with less than a 2 handicap....  :cheesy:. FWIW, I agree that you don't have to be a <2 hcp to feel shaft differences, but I do think you have to have certain swing characteristics  to actually benefit from various bending profiles. The Ctaper is a great shaft, IF IT FITS YOUR SWING. You did the right thing in working with a good fitter who seems to understand these shafts.

#18 motrhd

motrhd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139345

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Don't buy c-tapers just beause its the new hot shaft everyone is talking about.   Yes, it looks cool and is a conversation piece when you bring them out on the range.However , you still have to play them.   Go get fit before you stick something in your clubs unless you know your stats and know exactly what you need.
you will not find the answers to your problems on this site.    I switched to c-tapers X flex into my adams mb2 irons, from my 710 mb and x-100 that i have used for years.   I gained 15 yards of carry, and the ball hops and stops great.   It is a fantastic shaft, but not for everyone.  get fit.

#19 squishyy

squishyy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95354
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I've always felt that KBS Tour shafts play stiffer than stated. I used to play a S300 and went KBS Tour R+ flex. I'm now able to hold more greens due to the increased spin. However, sometimes I feel that it spins too much or flies too high. When it's windy out I won't even keep score. At this time I don't know what else to do. I like the spin (could be a little less) and flight (could be a little lower). In the end, I sometimes miss my old S300s. My fitter recommended KBS Tour 90 Stiff but I wanted a little more weight due to my tempo.

As for the OP, I'd recommend being fitted.
Cobra BioCell+ 10.5* GD Tour AD BB 6s
Cobra BioCell+ 14.5* Whiteboard 73s
Cobra BioCell 17.5* Hybrid
Epon AF503 4-PW w/ Nippon SPB
Titleist Vokey SM4 52*/58*
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback
WITB Link

#20 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

they dont fit your swing. easy as that.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55587
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostMizgoodie, on 08 October 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

the distance  loss could be from lack of spin...   the high ball flight could be a sub conscious thing to get more spin on the ball.     ctaper  will only go farther for people who are high spin players with px,dg, and kbs tour..  the kbs tour are a little more back weighted than the c taper    same head in a swap form kbs tour to c taper the ctaper will have a higher swing weight..

Exactly how much more at the same length, assuming both at S?

#22 BC7

BC7

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75951
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postdropnbassonu, on 08 October 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

So, here is my problem:  I currently play Titleist 710 AP2 3-6, CB 7-PW with KBS Tour Stiff... I have on order Titleist 712 CB 3-6, MB 7-PW KBS C Taper Stiff to help lower ball flight and spin.  Today I hit the 712 AP2 with the C Taper Stiff and they were consistently 5-8 Yards shorter than my current clubs.  Not only were they shorter, but I also hit them higher.  This completely blows my mind, because the C Tapers are supposed to go lower and further..... this was true across the board with every club I hit.... also, another thing I noticed was the shaft felt alot lighter and the swing weight felt a lot heavier with the C Taper....any idea what the heck could be going on?

I have had the exact same problems with my AP2's.  I was so excited to get them and have been playing the KBS's for a number of years and launch it mid to high so I figured the Taper C's would help on windy days.  Since I've had the set I still hit it by my group by 10+ yards and yet I hit the same or more club into par 3's since the switch.  I lvoe the feel and set up of the AP2's but hate the loss of distance.  Just doesn't seem right.  Anyone else have this issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors