Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My dog was just struck and killed by the FedEx guy

73 replies to this topic

#31 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Really sorry to hear about this.  The FedEx guy that delivers to my area drives extremly fast.  It's just a metter of time before he injures someone.  FedEx probably won't do anything, but it can't hurt to report the guy.  I'd also call the police and report him for his reckless driving.  Again, the police probably won't do anything, but it can't hurt to report him.  Accidents happen, but the guy seems like a real hero.  What if it's a little kid next time?? I feel bad for you and your mom.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80461
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

My dog runs after trucks all of the time well tries to if it wasn't for his leash. I feel so sorry for you because as many of us on here have dogs and understands sometimes your dog can be trained, but still have some faults. I feel so bad for you and your family. Obviously the driver has a cold hart and what goes around comes around. I think you should report this story to some news, to fedex, and just let the police know he was speeding and killed your dog. No charges as you will lose, but get some awareness out. Once again I am sorry and I hope you find happiness in memories and that Grant is in a happy place knowing he loved his owner and his owner loved him

#33 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 587

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

To be honest, I'd try to grieve over the dog, and after that, I'd try to forget about this incident and focus on the good memories with him.  If it'd make you feel better, write a letter to corporate (IMO, letters to corporate offices are more personal than a call to a regional office, and they'd possibly care a little about how their driver is reflecting upon their company more, because of corporate greed).  Once you've done that, I'd try to wash my hands of the situation and find myself another dog.  Life is too short to get mad at idiots, focus on those (pets included) that make the positive memories in your life.

#34 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Sorry to hear about that bud.

I don't have an advice about what to do with the FedEx guy, but I wish you the best in moving on over the loss of your buddy.

I've got a soft spot for hounds... I'd be a crying mess if something happened to my little buddies.

#35 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13492
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

View Postlittlepingman, on 30 September 2011 - 10:01 AM, said:

Sorry to hear about Grant.  I love dogs more than most people and the loss of a pet can be difficult to deal with.

Unlike UPS, Fedex drivers are independent contractors.  The drivers pay for their own trucks, gas, uniforms, maintenance, etc.  They are paid on a per package system and are not employees of Fedex but are contracted by Fedex to drive for them. I'm pretty sure Fedex can't do much to the guy because he doesn't really work for them. I hate Fedex because of how crappy their service is and this doesn't surprise me at all.

That is Fedex ground, the overnight delivery guys are employees of Fedex.

Unless the dog ran out from btwn cars or similar the driver is responsible to some degree.  It shouldn't be that hard to stop in a 20mph zone if you're doing 20 mph or less.  As awful as it is losing a dog let's be thankful it wasn't a kid.

#36 stratkidp38

stratkidp38

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28205
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

Guys, I really appreciate all the well wishes and condolences.  I just arrived back in my hometown tonight to bury Grant tomorrow.  Coming home just wasn't the same not being greeted by those big floppy ears and that yooooope yoooooope bark that I'm usually greeted with. On a more positive note, I visited the local pizza shop tonight and  HOLY CRAP...this story has spread like wildfire via word of mouth. News travels fast in a small town. Everyone is really getting together to pitch in and help us out.  Several local FedEx employees have stepped up to the plate with invaluable information for us to contact multiple levels of FedEx, and have told us his actions are DEFINITELY grounds for dismissal.  Several local business owners have told us that this man delivers to their businesses, and his actions didn't surprise them a bit.  Apparently he has quite the reputation around town for having such a poor attitude.  I'll keep you updated.  Thanks again everyone!

Edited by stratkidp38, 30 September 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#37 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:36 PM

This thread will not last long should any here continue with posts in reference to doing bodily harm or damage to another's property.  None !

Just because this is the 19th Hole, and non golf related discussions doesn't mean that "The Rules Of The Forum's" are not in place.  Be mindful of the rules.

Thank You

MP
:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#38 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126286
  • Ebay ID:sfilak
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Damn, cold hearted.
D: King Cobra 460SZ 9*
FW: Ping G15 4w
H: Ping G10 21*
I: Ping Eye 2's 4-PW
W: G15 U, Eye2 SW, Hogan Apex 60
P: old Ping Anser 2 w/ Superstroke 1.0

#39 ironmikes

ironmikes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43602
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

View Poststratkidp38, on 30 September 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

Guys, I really appreciate all the well wishes and condolences.  I just arrived back in my hometown tonight to bury Grant tomorrow.  Coming home just wasn't the same not being greeted by those big floppy ears and that yooooope yoooooope bark that I'm usually greeted with. On a more positive note, I visited the local pizza shop tonight and  HOLY CRAP...this story has spread like wildfire via word of mouth. News travels fast in a small town. Everyone is really getting together to pitch in and help us out.  Several local FedEx employees have stepped up to the plate with invaluable information for us to contact multiple levels of FedEx, and have told us his actions are DEFINITELY grounds for dismissal.  Several local business owners have told us that this man delivers to their businesses, and his actions didn't surprise them a bit.  Apparently he has quite the reputation around town for having such a poor attitude.  I'll keep you updated.  Thanks again everyone!

Sorry to hear about the accident that has happened. maybe something good  will come out of this . if this person is known to be driving very fast and not obeying the rules of the road fate will catch up with them. maybe if enough people voice their dealing with the person the higher ups in Fedex will listen. like others have said it could be a kid next time  . sounds like word is traveling fast . good luck getting through this, we  are here to listen.

Edited by ironmikes, 01 October 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#40 gibbyfan

gibbyfan

Do Work Son!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2969
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

As a fellow basset owner, I am really sorry about your loss. However, I am sure that there are Basset Rescues in/near your area. They are always looking for good homes to place the dogs. It won't lesson your feelings, but it will give you an opportunity to have another Basset and give a dog a great family.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 stratkidp38

stratkidp38

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

View Postgibbyfan, on 01 October 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

As a fellow basset owner, I am really sorry about your loss. However, I am sure that there are Basset Rescues in/near your area. They are always looking for good homes to place the dogs. It won't lesson your feelings, but it will give you an opportunity to have another Basset and give a dog a great family.

I know a lady involved in www.bellyrubs.org.  They are a basset rescue, and I donate to a local shelter where I'd actually looked at adopting a basset buddy for Grant before all this happened.  I'll definitely be adopting when I'm ready.  

We just buried Grant, it was tough, but hopefully gives me some closure.  Flyers are going up in windows around town, people are are taking them faster than I can print them, and people are well aware of who this driver is.

#42 stratkidp38

stratkidp38

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

I really appreciate it man...even though you're a War Damn Eagle and I'm a Volunteer.  The mods said they'd lock this thread up if anyone else mentioned bodily harm, and I don't want to see that happen.  I'd like to keep this open to keep you all posted on what's going on because you've all been very supportive.  I just came in from taking a few pulls off the bottle by his resting spot, and pouring a few Grant's way while letting him know I'm doing everything I can to make sure his life wasn't taken in vain.  I really appreciate everyone's advice and condolences.

Edited by MrParr1Noid, 02 October 2011 - 08:50 AM.
Threatening quote deleted.

#43 glauser

glauser

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133073
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

statkidp38 -- So sorry to hear about your loss.  It took me a few days to get the courage to read this.  I'd be crushed if this happend to my dog :(

#44 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Sad story.  Driver sounds like a jerk.  However, this is the problem with dogs being confined all day and having no sense of where boundaries are when they get loose.  I feel for your loss, but some training may have averted this tragedy.

#45 bwiley

bwiley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96158
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:30 AM

sorry for your loss. as difficult as it might seem, i think you should direct most of your thoughts/emotions towards dealing with your grief/moving forward than possibly going through the channels at fedex. their lack of responsiveness and empathy is only going to make things worse on you and i don't see it ever helping you find solace or peace. some might say that there's a level of 'justice' that needs to be done but you should be thinking about your own welfare/emotional health first and foremost.

#46 markheardjr

markheardjr

Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Everyone loves a new puppy! I'd take a personal crusade to contact that guys boss every day forever. At the very least the company should trasnfer him to a different route. They have a liability on their hands the day that guy delivers a package to your house...
'07 Burner TP 8.5 w/ RUL60x
'08 Burner 14.5/17.5 w/ p9003x
Vsteel 7W 21 w/ Oban Devotion 75x
Cleveland 588MB w/ Modus 130 Proto
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 48/52/56
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach

#47 jdhallissey

jdhallissey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24316
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Alright guys let put a end to this. I love dogs as much as any one. My dogs (rotties) do what I do sit were I sit and if you like the spot on the couch and the dog is there well tough luck find another spot. Yes it sucks to see your dog get ran over. It sucks to have a dog die. I have put down many. We have one side of the story yes can I believe that side well yes to a point. The problem here is you are trying to get a guy fired from a job he is busting his but at to most likely provide for a family. Could he of helped, not much you can do when you run a animal over with a truck that weighs right around 30,000 pounds. Then even if he is speeding it is unfortunately your mothers fault for not keeping the dog on a leash or in the yard. Is that a terrible place to put blame yes but that is the honest truth...

IT goes back to the same thing that happened in california a few years ago. Two guys were street racing down the street at over 120 mph. Car pulled out in front of one of the cars driving at that high speed. 2 people in the car that pulled out died. The person who pulled out was blamed for the accident. It sucks because in a way it was not her fault just like your moms. Get another pup, move on it hurts but it will get better. Then also stop trying to ruin somebody's life. It was a accident. Accidents happen all the time.

#48 coozapalooza

coozapalooza

Let's go Mountaineers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36507
  • Ebay ID:arsenalforever10
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

View Postjdhallissey, on 03 October 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

Alright guys let put a end to this. I love dogs as much as any one. My dogs (rotties) do what I do sit were I sit and if you like the spot on the couch and the dog is there well tough luck find another spot. Yes it sucks to see your dog get ran over. It sucks to have a dog die. I have put down many. We have one side of the story yes can I believe that side well yes to a point. The problem here is you are trying to get a guy fired from a job he is busting his but at to most likely provide for a family. Could he of helped, not much you can do when you run a animal over with a truck that weighs right around 30,000 pounds. Then even if he is speeding it is unfortunately your mothers fault for not keeping the dog on a leash or in the yard. Is that a terrible place to put blame yes but that is the honest truth...

IT goes back to the same thing that happened in california a few years ago. Two guys were street racing down the street at over 120 mph. Car pulled out in front of one of the cars driving at that high speed. 2 people in the car that pulled out died. The person who pulled out was blamed for the accident. It sucks because in a way it was not her fault just like your moms. Get another pup, move on it hurts but it will get better. Then also stop trying to ruin somebody's life. It was a accident. Accidents happen all the time.

Surely this must be the FedEx driver who ran the dog over.

Yes, it was an accident.

You missed the point, though.

#49 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

In way of replying to your posting, I'm sure you know there's practically nothing legally you can do. Drivers simply don't have a responsibility to ensure that they don't run over pets, and without some sort of duty, there's no negligence. Additionally, there's no affirmative duty to help someone in need/danger/trouble/etc. Although you can be a horrible human being for it and have no friends, the law does not require someone to help "or else."

View Poststratkidp38, on 29 September 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

Golfwrx Community,

I know above all else this is a golf forum, none of you come here to hear stories like the one I am about to tell, but I am desperate for help.  

My 6 year old basset hound, Grant, escaped from the boundary of his underground fence Tuesday morning.  My mom saw that he was out of the boundary in our yard, went into the house to get his leash, and came outside to bring him back.  As she was walking off the porch the FedEx guy rounds the corner.  We live in a subdivision with lots of kids and pets running around, the street has a posted speed limit of 20 mph, and tons of "slow children playing" signs posted everywhere.  My mom said she noticed the guy was speeding but thought nothing of it.  

As he approaches Grant starts to chase the truck (typical dog, why do they all chase the delivery trucks?).  As he approached Grant, she said she heard the engine accelerate and the package car began going faster.  At that moment, he hit Grant.  She said he never so much as tapped his brakes, and hit him with the back tires just as hard as he'd hit him with the front tire.  My mom frantically ran to the road to help Grant.  She said she screamed and yelled for help, but no one was outside at the time...just the FedEx guy.  She begged and pleaded for the man's help, but none was offered in return.  She asked why he had hit the dog to which he replied,"I didn't hit your dog".  She told him she had seen everything, then he changed his tune and said there was nothing he could've done.  Again, she's crying hysterically laying in the road with Grant, petting him, talking to him, and trying to keep him alive as he slowly dies.  She asks the FedEx man to knock on the neighbor's door for help, he declines again.  So she is forced to stay with Grant and try to keep him alive, or make a dash for the neighbor's house to get help in taking the dog to the vet.  

She decides to go to the neighbor's house, and while she is there beating on the door, the FedEx guy walks up behind her with a package.  He looks at the package and say's,"Oh, this isn't the right address", then walks next door.  The neighbor comes out to help, they make it back to Grant, but by the time they walked back Grant had passed.  He died alone in the street because the FedEx guy refused to help.  My mom and neighbor both told me the FedEx guy never offered to help, never said sorry, never asked if the dog was ok, never came to look at Grant...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!  The man continued to deliver packages and eventually left.  He didn't think she could report him with any accuracy, so he didn't think he'd get in trouble.  Little did he know that the neighbor got a picture of his license plate which easily identified him.  Another neighbor heard the driver screaming at my mom, and came over to tell him,"you don't talk to a woman like that, son."

I'm not bashing FedEx by any means.  There are a lot of great people with that company, and my beef is with this particular driver.  I'm sure some of you work at FedEx, and I would love any help/advice you could give me.  Thank you all.

Attachment grant.jpg

#50 jdhallissey

jdhallissey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24316
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

View Postcoozapalooza, on 03 October 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

Surely this must be the FedEx driver who ran the dog over.

Yes, it was an accident.

You missed the point, though.

No I got the point. No I was not the fedex driver. Nor am I a fedex driver. Everybody wants to make everybody feel good these days and give them a false sense of security. I understand this to a point but how do you know the fedex guy didn't feel bad? Maybe he was freaking out inside. Ever play poker? You can be stone cold but a nervous wreck on the inside. I am more made at the fact the way this nation is going to try and get somebody fired for a accident. How don't you know he didn't say sorry? He said his mother was running around screaming. There are a lot of points left out. I understand the pain but you're trying to ruin somebody's life. That is the part that is making me tell you the facts of the matter.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13492
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

JD if even half the stuff that the OP said was true the driver was careless and callous.  When you wear company colors and drive a company rig(no matter if it's the Geek squad in a VW or an Atlas Van lines semi) in the general public your actions do count and do matter to the firm that is being represented.  If many creditable reports about the driver regarding this incident and his attitude in general effect his superiors enough to fire him so be it.  If they decide that they want to keep him that's their business.

#52 stratkidp38

stratkidp38

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

View Postagainstthegrain, on 04 October 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

JD if even half the stuff that the OP said was true the driver was careless and callous.  When you wear company colors and drive a company rig(no matter if it's the Geek squad in a VW or an Atlas Van lines semi) in the general public your actions do count and do matter to the firm that is being represented.  If many creditable reports about the driver regarding this incident and his attitude in general effect his superiors enough to fire him so be it.  If they decide that they want to keep him that's their business.

Exactly.  I represent a company in traveling sales, and if I got reported for something like this I'd be fired.  Not because what I did was illegal, but because my company wouldn't want someone like me out there being the face of their company.  In a tough economy like this, I'm sure there are a lot of good people out there that would love to have this job, and could offer FedEx more than this guy.  It boils down to who you have representing your brand, how they represent your company, and as an employer making sure you have the very best employees/products to offer your customers.

This guy has lied to his employer telling them that there were multiple people there helping my mom (which isn't true) and that's why he left.

I'm a big boy,  no one has to be PC or try making me feel better, but if FedEx chooses to turn a blind eye to their driver's actions then I'll be sure to let everyone know what kind of customer service FedEx offers to their customers.  There is supposed to be an article in the paper today with this story.

#53 Bob57

Bob57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103973
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Probably the only satisfaction you will get is if everyone in your area bands together to give this driver grief when he delivers their package (no violence please) because they know your story.  If it is like most areas drivers have certain routes.  Also order something yourself that requires a signature so he can't deliver  and run and you can give him a piece of your mind about his lack of compassion..

The problem with getting him fired is it is a he said she said unless you have other eye witnesses' on your side (generally family members aren't helpful--who else would they side with argument).  Plus they can always fall back on your dog was loose.  I doubt they would even agree he was callous as any admission would open them up to a lawsuit..  At most they might just change his route which is why I think the people in your area need to know the story and give him constant grief..

Edited by Bob57, 06 October 2011 - 11:16 AM.

#54 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 738

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Nobody says he even saw the dog before it decided to run under the truck.

Working or not, underground fences for dogs who have a tendency to chase things are not the best idea.

It is totally the owners fault this terrible event occurred, and transferring that to the person who happened to be driving by at that instant really isn't fair.

Not being there, no way to know if the one side of the story is being presented accurately, but it seems the driver could use some more people skills, the others should understand there is a limit to what anyone can do in that situation.

In reference to an earlier post, dogs are not "somewhat" trained. You either train your dog never to run into the street, period, or you, the owner, make sure your failure to train is addressed with all necessary precautions.

Edited by HAWKEYE77, 06 October 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#55 GatorNate11

GatorNate11

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117979
  • Ebay ID:gatornate5
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

Wow, sounds like a major tool. I'm not sure how FedEx does it, but the UPS guys here can and have been fired multiple times for things such as knocking over a flowerpot while walking on the porch. The smallest thing and they're gone. That guy and myself would not get along well, in a situation like that, I certainly would have had some caring words for him as well.

#56 dercot

dercot

Cola War Veteran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52606
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:43 AM

Wow if everything happened the way you say he should lose his job asap. As far as the comment about ruining the guys life over an accident that is not the point. Its the way he conducted himself after the accident. I understand that some people couldnt care less about a dog and there was probably nothing that could have been done to save the dog but if the driver acted as described then that shows that he really isn't right in the head and doesn't need to be driving a 10 ton delivery truck. It shows sociopathic tendencies in my opinion.

#57 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

View PostHAWKEYE77, on 06 October 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Nobody says he even saw the dog before it decided to run under the truck.

Working or not, underground fences for dogs who have a tendency to chase things are not the best idea.

It is totally the owners fault this terrible event occurred, and transferring that to the person who happened to be driving by at that instant really isn't fair.

Not being there, no way to know if the one side of the story is being presented accurately, but it seems the driver could use some more people skills, the others should understand there is a limit to what anyone can do in that situation.

In reference to an earlier post, dogs are not "somewhat" trained. You either train your dog never to run into the street, period, or you, the owner, make sure your failure to train is addressed with all necessary precautions.

Sure it's the owner's fault for trusting an underground fence, but the driver should share some of the blame if he was speeding and driving wrecklessly.  He also could have shown some sort of compassion or willingness to help the guy's mom in some sort of way.  That's what most people are upset about.  Accidents happen, but the driver certainly could have handled this better.

#58 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 738

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:10 PM

Nothing about driving recklessly, mom thought he was speeding, never quantified.  I'm not really buying into this. Mom probably felt really bad, understandable, and the story seems to reflect that.

Good lesson for all dog owners. Train your dogs not to run into a street.

#59 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 587

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostGatorNate11, on 07 October 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

Wow, sounds like a major tool. I'm not sure how FedEx does it, but the UPS guys here can and have been fired multiple times for things such as knocking over a flowerpot while walking on the porch. The smallest thing and they're gone. That guy and myself would not get along well, in a situation like that, I certainly would have had some caring words for him as well.

UPS drivers are union workers, they may be reassigned but I can assure you that they wouldn't lose their job for knocking a flowerpot over, the union wouldn't stand for that nor let it happen.

To the OP, let this go. I understand you're upset over your dog, and it's understandable. I got mad over one of my past dogs getting stolen. I'd spent a ton of time training him as a hunting dog, etc. Lots of money too. In the long run, I never found him and eventually my anger subsided. It's also the last dog I ever owned. I've had dogs get ran over and lots of other things happen (had one get mauled as a pup by a raccoon at night while in his kennel, and he died). At the end of the day it's much easier to remember the good times with the dog. There's no reason, especially in these economic times, to try and get this man fired for your Mother's negligence in containing the dog within the confines of your property. Is there proof he was speeding? I doubt it. Was your mother hysterical when it happened? Quite likely. Could her memories be colored by her involvement? Again highly likely. She wants someone to be accountable for the electric fence not containing the dog. Why not go after the company manufacturing the electric fence? Their product failed and your dog got out. See how easy it was to shift blame?

It was an accident. Accidents happen. I understand you're broke up about your dog dying. Get a new pup and enjoy the company and remember the good times with your old friend. With this happening, you've developed a resentfulness for the driver which has evidently manifested itself into retaliation desires. This shows mental instability on your part. Instead, think of the positives such as the time you had with your dog. Accept this for what it is and forgive the guy. There's no way he left home that morning thinking about running over a dog. It was an accident. He wasn't obligated to even stop, legally, but he did anyway. Your mother reacted with hysteria that he could've misinterpreted as aggression or any other type of emotion befitting his and her mental states. The sooner you forgive him, the sooner you'll be able to move on. Nothing you do will bring your dog back, don't let it ruin your outlook on life.

#60 Johnny4379

Johnny4379

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97333
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

I remember that !

Sorry about your dog man, I understand you wanting some sort of justice, but revenge isn't going bring him back or make it any easier.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors