Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Taylormade Ghost vs Est 79 putters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sjster

sjster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118244
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:07 PM

Has anyone tried both ? If so which one did you like ?

I have rolled both a few times at the stores and the only difference I have noticed is that the 79 series insert is a little softer. Is there really a significant difference between these two lines except for the price point/paintjob ?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 melo

melo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66044
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have an est 79 tm-880 right now and i actually prefer it to the ghost. The only thing i would like is a little more weight to it, but in my opinion, especially on fast greens the est 79 has a better feel and insert.

#3 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, seems like alot to pay for white paint when the black one is 100 bucks.

#4 generalpatton

generalpatton

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16215
  • Ebay ID:klassicgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, seems like alot to pay for white paint when the black one is 100 bucks

It's not just the color difference, the Ghost putters have the 4 interchangeable weights and a different insert.  Whether that's worth the $50 extra is up to you.  I've owned both and preferred the insert in the Ghost, which is a little firmer, to the Surlyn insert in the EST 79, which felt a little mushy to me.  That's a personal call though as they're both nice putters.

#5 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
GolfWRX Likes : 1256

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

not a fan of the inserts in either to be honest.  I wish they had kept the AGISI red insert in them.

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#6 gooner21

gooner21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117528
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

I have the 79 model and I think it puts a great roll on the ball.

#7 Jerrytink4

Jerrytink4

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121698
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

I tried both, but went with the Ghost 880. I liked the roll and the feel better with ghost, but the 79 models were fine.

#8 Splitter

Splitter

The truth is out there....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63256
  • Ebay ID:salemander
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Ya, it's insert md cosmetics.  You can change the weights but I don't think many people do.

As has already been said, the 79 is softer but some people like that.  IMHO, the ghost insert gets the ball rolling faster/better.

There was a guy that had a 79 with the ghost insert in it on the BST.  If you like the look of the 79 but the feel of the ghost I'd search it out in case it's still available.

As an aside, there is one ghost that does not have the titanium insert.  The spider.  For some reason TM put the surlyn insert in the spider.

Edited by Hit em' Str8, 25 September 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#9 sjster

sjster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118244
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

View PostHit em, on 25 September 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

Ya, it's insert md cosmetics.  You can change the weights but I don't think many people do.

As has already been said, the 79 is softer but some people like that.  IMHO, the ghost insert gets the ball rolling faster/better.

There was a guy that had a 79 with the ghost insert in it on the BST.  If you like the look of the 79 but the feel of the ghost I'd search it out in case it's still available.

As an aside, there is one ghost that does not have the titanium insert.  The spider.  For some reason TM put the surlyn insert in the spider.

How did he manage to get the ghost insert in the 79 ??

The part about the ghost getting the ball rolling faster is interesting , I think I will pay attention next time I am at the store :D . Personally I buy an insert putter for a softer feel on faster greens. If one wanted a firmer feel wouldn't a non insert putter be a better option ? I am not saying one is better than the other , just thinking out loud....

#10 Splitter

Splitter

The truth is out there....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63256
  • Ebay ID:salemander
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

The insert cavity is the same for both series.  I think he said it came off a nationwide guy, so maybe he got it swapped out in a tour van somewhere.

Firm feel is so subjective it's hard to say.  A firm insert may feel harder than deep milling to somebody, etc...  But ya, generally non-steel inserts feel softer. :-)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors