Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to refinish Ping Zing 2 irons (stainless)?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138830
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

If you want to skip my long and likely unimportant backstory, skip to paragraph 3 or 4.  

I'm just getting back into golf (and clubmaking) after about 3-4 years away from the game.  I'll likely only be playing 2-3 times per month through the fall and then winter all depends on the number of warm days that mesh with a busy work and family schedule.  With work and kids I don't see myself being more than a weekly golfer (at best) again any time in near future.  As such, I decided to sell my player's clubs (Armour 845cm forged cavity/muscle mixed set) and move to my game-improvement irons (Ping G5) full-time.

I've also decided that to get in more golf during the week (i.e. after work) I should walk the executive course near work.  Having not really walked since my high-school golf team days, I was without a stand-bag.  I decided to go looking for a cheap older Ping Hoofer at some of the local Goodwill stores as I've seen them there from time-to-time.  Insteat of a Hoofer I came across a very small and light Crospete Torpedo for just $5 in excellent condition.  That wasn't the best find of the day, however...

I also decided peruse the club rack just to see what people were donating.  Much to my surprise, mixed in with other random single clubs, was a near complete set of Ping Zing 2 Black Dot irons, each individually priced at $1.81 each.  The 4,5,6,7, and W were there, but not the 8 & 9.  After digging a little more I came across an 8 & 9 "Calcutta" which was an obvious clone of either the Zing 2.  It became more apparent that they were donated along with the partial Zing 2 set because all of the above had been reshafted with TT Lite XL shafts (Labled R flex) and Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips with a decent amout of life left in them.  Not one to pass up a deal, I walked out with the Crospete bag, the Zing 2 / Calcutta irons, and a couple of Ashworth polos for under $30.  

Now to the crux of my question.  While the irons are in good core physical condition (very few dings or rock chips, 90% paint in-tact, decent grooves, just a tiny bit of surface rust) the stainless finish has grown a deep dull grey patina (as most Zings/Eyes do).  What is the best way to restore the finish back to at least a light grey clean stainless look, if not a more brushed or polished luster?

I experimented with a scotchbrite pad on the Calcutta 9-iron and that did a pretty decent job of bringing it back to a natural stainless look, but I've seen plenty of Zings out there with much more luster.  Is there a polish or polishing compound you would reccomend?  I was thinking Brasso, but didn't know if the stainless would require something more agressive.  I don't want to spend a fortune on product to restore these since I have so little invested already and they're not a complete matched set, but it seems they have the potential to shine up real nice... just wanted to know what the known best products and methods were!

I'll also likely re-grip these with 7 of the 9 remaining Golf Pride 50th Anniversary Victory grips I have on-hand since they're one of my all-time favorite grips and they seem period-appropriate for these without being dylagrips or the god-awful green you saw on so many early-mid '90s clubs.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Jerry H

Jerry H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73554
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Ping Zing irons have a tumble finish. If you are looking for a high luster ( if this means polished ) finish this is not a true ping finish. To repair the finish on your irons you have to remove the heads and place them in a tumbler and this will restore the Ping look

#3 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

Given the price paid and incompleteness of the set, I guess I'm looking more for an inexpensive DIY refinish than a costly but accurate refinish.  More than anything I want to move away from the extremely deep grey color (almost gunmetal) cause by age.  

I did some more work with the Scotchbrite and followed on with some Brasso on a rag and the results or leaps and bound better.  The Scotchbrite got through to the original tumble finish but the discoloration was still fairly dark.  The Brasso brought out some luster while maintaining the scuffed, for a better word, texture left by the Scotchbrite.  I may buy a polishing wheel/ball and do some testing on the 3-iron to see how I like the results and if it's worth the effort.  

If not, the current condition is certainly a marked improvement and great for a loaner set, travel set, or maybe even primary use if I end up hitting them better than my G5s.

#4 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 926

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

You are on the right track.  Use Scotchbrite and Barkeepers Friend, which has oxalic acid in it.  The red scotchbrite pads are coarse and gray are fine.  The fine will bring out more shine but if the heads are really tarnished you may have to start with red first and then go to gray.  The oxalic acid will eat off any old iron/rust particles which may have become embedded into the metal and will help with the shine.  

Good luck

#5 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have dabbled in refinishing my Ping ISI's which are basically the same material and the best finsish I got was by bead blasting them. See photo below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And if you want to take it a step furthur, pull out the torch and you can have this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

I love the bead blasted finish, as that's what my G5s have.  My dad has a small sand-blaster, but only has sand as a medium... and idea what kind of finish that would produce?  I'm not opposed to experimenting on the Calcutta 8 or 9 iron, but he lives in KY and it will probably be Thanksgiving before I'm up that direction again.  Thanks for the pics!

So far I've only used green Scotchbrite, but I'll try the others.  I do have some deeper scuffs on some of the soles that I'd like to get out but I'm not hell bent on it either.  I know my local Home Depot has grey and black scotchbrite but I don't remember seeing red.  

Where should I look for Barkeeper's Friend?  What stores and what sections?  

Thanks again!

#7 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostIsleOfMan, on 15 September 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

I love the bead blasted finish, as that's what my G5s have.  My dad has a small sand-blaster, but only has sand as a medium... and idea what kind of finish that would produce?  I'm not opposed to experimenting on the Calcutta 8 or 9 iron, but he lives in KY and it will probably be Thanksgiving before I'm up that direction again.  Thanks for the pics!

So far I've only used green Scotchbrite, but I'll try the others.  I do have some deeper scuffs on some of the soles that I'd like to get out but I'm not hell bent on it either.  I know my local Home Depot has grey and black scotchbrite but I don't remember seeing red.  

Where should I look for Barkeeper's Friend?  What stores and what sections?  

Thanks again!

Sand will be a little more aggresive than the glass beads that I used. Just be carefull and slow about it and you'll end up with something very similar. Does not take long at all to get the finish I posted above. Maybe 2-3 minutes per head tops.

#8 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

View PostSteveL1, on 15 September 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Sand will be a little more aggresive than the glass beads that I used. Just be carefull and slow about it and you'll end up with something very similar. Does not take long at all to get the finish I posted above. Maybe 2-3 minutes per head tops.

I think I'm going to give this a try first chance I get to make up to my dads.  Is there any chance I could do this without removing the shafts as long as I use ample tape-wrap for protection?  

After the re-finish I'm thinking about getting funky with the paint-fill... maybe alternating red-white-blue in the grooves and lettering/numbering... of course then I'll want to put Red/White/Blue grips on them (maybe the Karma knock-off NDMCs)... this is adding up to a lot of work and money for a $13 set of irons, but I think I'm going to love the results!

#9 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

I spoke with my dad and he still has his sandblaster, but he only has playsand for blasting media.  Will this be aggressive enough to put any kind of finish on the clubs and remove the paint fill?  Will it just take longer to do so?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors