Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Non-conforming 3 woods

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 semi

semi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138552
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hi - I can find a list of non-conforming driver heads but nothing for 3 woods or fairway woods...I find it hard to believe that all fairway woods (3 woods) are conforming.  I have purchased a second hand 3 wood and I would like to check and make sure it is conforming before I put it into my son's bag.  Does anyone have any information with regards to this?

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 eqman

eqman

Whynot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124602
  • Ebay ID:No oob
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

You know I could be wrong with this I believe there was never a COR rule made for fairway woods but something keeps telling me that it`s not correct, I think there was a conversation about that some years back, anyway someone will come in with the correct info.

#3 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.3
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1367

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

Try This....

http://www.usga.org/...ubsDB/index.asp
RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#4 vinny809

vinny809

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109748
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Im not sure how you can make a nonconforming 3 wood.  Make it 49", w a 500cc head, shave the face and name it a 3 wood maybe.

#5 wfrogge1

wfrogge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88478
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Rumor is the TEE 3 woods would be non-conforming if there was a test

#6 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 1138

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought 3 woods fell under the same rules as drivers.  I know Wishon had some 3 woods at the COR limit, but I'm not aware of any over.

And speaking of the COR limit, it's more difficult to get the spring effect off a small sized face such as on a 3 wood.  Even if the club head does approach the limit, only the very center would do so.

#7 semi

semi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostRRFireblade, on 10 September 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply and link but this site only checks clubs for conforming groove limits - that's the way I understand it.  

What I don't get is...if there are no say 3 woods that are non-conforming, why don't they just say it somewhere?  

Very frustrating!

#8 semi

semi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

View Postsemi, on 10 September 2011 - 06:01 AM, said:

Hi - I can find a list of non-conforming driver heads but nothing for 3 woods or fairway woods...I find it hard to believe that all fairway woods (3 woods) are conforming.  I have purchased a second hand 3 wood and I would like to check and make sure it is conforming before I put it into my son's bag.  Does anyone have any information with regards to this?

Thanks
I found this mentioned on some website that they were talking about non-conforming 3 woods...the funny thing is that's the club I purchased.  I have also read that any club with a degree of 15 & 13  or less had to meet the standards...but this is just what people are saying - I'd like to see some hard facts...

Every club, so you can theoretically make .830 9-iron.

If there are nonconforming woods then it will likely be titanium  faced. The Tour Edge Exotics XCG fairway wood is maxed at .830 COR.  

#9 semi

semi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am very surprised that it is that hard to find information on whether a club is conforming or not...one would think that this information would be readily available...it's a bit unbelievable to me! I guess if other people have questions about conforming clubs and can't find an answer  just play them or buy something new...

Thanks

#10 abc

abc

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106115
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

View Postwfrogge1, on 10 September 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Rumor is the TEE 3 woods would be non-conforming if there was a test

Highly doubtful.

If it's true, then I can kiss my chances of playing in the US Open goodbye.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 saupere

saupere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 337415
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:Jaromir1
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

I have a basic question.   Initially I thought that it was the spring-like or trampoline affect in some driver heads that cause them to be above a 0.830 COR and thus be non-conforming.   But if a club's COR is also dependent on a clubface's hardness couldn't that also make a club non-conforming?   I remember some old infomercials touting certain fairway woods (and other clubs) as having some new space-age material called "maraging steel".   Would they not be non-conforming if their numbers exceeded .830? I personally own a couple fairway woods made from another peculiar material that allows me to "punch a hole in the sky".   It was a fairly well known brand that even had a few tour pros endorsing them.    Unfortunately the company went belly up a number of years ago but I'm still able to find their products on eBay.

#12 riehlg

riehlg

Lets Go Pens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291709
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:griehl
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

I make sure my clubs are only made of Valyrian Steel. They are all cannons. Probably not legal.
Cobra AMP Cell Driver 11.5
Callaway FT Optiforce 5W 19
Cobra AMP Cell 3H 21
Cobra AMP Forged (4-G)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 54.14, 60.12
SeeMore FGP w/ SS 3.0 - TM Lethal
WITB Link

#13 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 1138

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

That "maraging steel" stuff is killer strong.  Because of that a thin face can be fashioned that will flex on impact, thus increasing COR due to the "trampoline effect".  A hard but thick face would not flex on impact, thus no trampoline effect would occur.  I tend to doubt any of the older 3-woods exceed the COR limit.  It's only been fairly recently that club manufacturers have been applying spring face technology to fairway woods at all.

#14 73monte

73monte

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3106
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

This is the only one I know of, but I haven't read any reviews.

http://www.tourspecg...ec-fairway-wood
Honma TW717 460 10.5
Adams XTD-ti 13.5d. fairway
Adams Super LS 17d. hybrid
Mizuno MPH4 4-pw
Callaway Jaws 54d. 58d.
Odyssey white hot tour #2

#15 TomWishon

TomWishon

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
GolfWRX Likes : 1439

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks

The USGA only maintains a public listing for conforming and non conforming drivers and some irons and wedges based on the 2010 scoreline rule change.  All other clubhead types are not publicly listed for conforming or non conforming status.  But the iron list is really confusing because it does not list irons that are conforming which were introduced before the new groove rule went into effect in 2011.

Yes, it is confusing as heck the way they chose to do this because it leads golfers to sometimes ask the very question you have.  You can't know for sure if any of the other clubhead types are officially conforming unless you call the company or the USGA to specifically inquire.

All of the rules that correspond to driver conformity also apply to fairway wood conformity as well.  Including the COR/CT of the face.

#16 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

Keg Stand Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
  • Handicap:35?
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

View Postriehlg, on 20 October 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

I make sure my clubs are only made of Valyrian Steel. They are all cannons. Probably not legal.

I bet one was used to kill a Stark too
Wyoming Cowboys

#17 riehlg

riehlg

Lets Go Pens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291709
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:griehl
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostKingcat990, on 21 October 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

View Postriehlg, on 20 October 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

I bet one was used to kill a Stark too
I'd never let such a thing happen.
Cobra AMP Cell Driver 11.5
Callaway FT Optiforce 5W 19
Cobra AMP Cell 3H 21
Cobra AMP Forged (4-G)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 54.14, 60.12
SeeMore FGP w/ SS 3.0 - TM Lethal
WITB Link

#18 TomWishon

TomWishon

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
GolfWRX Likes : 1439

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Postsaupere, on 20 October 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

I have a basic question.   Initially I thought that it was the spring-like or trampoline affect in some driver heads that cause them to be above a 0.830 COR and thus be non-conforming.   But if a club's COR is also dependent on a clubface's hardness couldn't that also make a club non-conforming?   I remember some old infomercials touting certain fairway woods (and other clubs) as having some new space-age material called "maraging steel".   Would they not be non-conforming if their numbers exceeded .830? I personally own a couple fairway woods made from another peculiar material that allows me to "punch a hole in the sky".   It was a fairly well known brand that even had a few tour pros endorsing them. Unfortunately the company went belly up a number of years ago but I'm still able to find their products on eBay.

The ability to have the face flex inward a bit more to increase the COR is NOT I repeat NOT a product of the hardness of the face alloy.  It is all about the relationship of the yield strength with the modulus of elasticity (Young's Modulus) of the alloy.  The higher the strength of the alloy, the thinner you can make the face to get it to flex inward slightly more to increase COR.   Add to that a low modulus, meaning more elasticity in the alloy, and you make the job of increasing face flexing even easier.  

Maraging steel is simply a CLASSIFICATION of certain steel alloys based on characteristics related to their chemical and crystalline structure.  It is not a specific alloy on its own.  Most all maraging steels do have higher Yield strength which can qualify them as being able to be thinned to increase the COR of a face design.

When the COR rule first went into effect in 98, it was created specifically for heads of 15* loft and lower, meaning it was aimed at drivers, chiefly because the USGA believed wrongly at that time that it would be impossible to make a fairway wood or any other head type to have a high COR face.  They felt that the typically smaller size/area of fwy wood heads, iron heads, etc would never allow designers to achieve as high of a COR as was possible with drivers with their far larger size/area for the face.

That was proven wrong in 2004 so from that point on, the USGA's COR rule was extended to cover ALL clubheads.  So it is possible today for a fwy wood, or a hybrid or even an iron to be designed with a COR in excess of the 0.830 limit and if so, it will be declared to be non conforming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors