Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Edwin Watts to CLOSE several Sears locations

45 replies to this topic

#31 drewspin

drewspin

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15821
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Which EW Sears locations are closing?  

I do like the guy who works in the one closest to me (Seven Corners, Falls Church, VA).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Bobcat43

Bobcat43

E+R= O-H-I-O

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13602
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

After reading this whole thread it's very clear why this country (world too) is such a mess.

I will refer everyone to the first couple sentences the OP typed. In a nutshell a corporation made a poor business decision and corrected it before it got to be too much of a burden. They did the responsible thing as far as I can tell. We all make mistakes, right?

Unfortunately, there are human employment casualties (jobs lost). But apparently they were not fullfilling employment, unless you wanted to be a bathroom attendant. One employee was just hired about 2 weeks prior to the announcement of the store closing. Surely a shame for that employee but did he really want to guide folks to "the Can" all day? (maybe?). But to point fingers at Edwin Watts, without any knowlege of the real timing of this decision is ignorant.

Bottomline: Edwin Watts can't just print money to overpay bathroom attendants for Sears. They made a bad business move and corrected it. Our employers may be doing the same thing with our jobs as we speak. So let's all grow up and grow a spine.

#33 Bobcat43

Bobcat43

E+R= O-H-I-O

• 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13602
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

BTW: I'm going to my Sears today to see if we have one of these EW's. OP... Thanks for the head's up.

#34 shootermcgavin2

shootermcgavin2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134202
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

that sucks, esp for the guy who just took the job. i for one didn't even know there were sears locations with an EW inside. only EW stores around here that i know of are standalone stores.

#35 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3052

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

View Postjmt0313, on 06 September 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 05 September 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

View Postlander215, on 05 September 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

If you would please show me where any employee was mistreated, I'd be happy to make a personal observation on that point. However, nobody has shown any in this thread. The stores are clearly not profitable based upon the OP's own comments about how they only tell people where the restrooms are. So, EW has chosen to close them and end this experiment in business models. Their attempt failed.

There's really not enough information here to determine the true facts. We only have the biased post of a part time employee to go by. If there is other evidence to show how EW was mistreating their employees, I'm all ears.

Please don't put words into my keyboard. Thanks.

Bringing on a new full time employee only to close two weeks later? That is bait and switch, which I consider mistreatment and is generally considered unethical in terms of human resource management. Since you chose to overlook this part of the post, it seems you have no sympathy for these people.

I highly doubt a manager of an EW location inside a Sears would be privy to executive directional change 10 days prior to the announcement.  It is also very possible the decision was finalized within 10 days of the announcement to employees.

If this were true, the ethical thing to do would be to offer the employee a similar position somewhere else. OP didn't indicate that any such offer was made.

Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#36 PennsyltuckyMike

PennsyltuckyMike

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89943
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

View Postrubob21, on 05 September 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

I don't appreciate you telling me that I don't understand business.  I came here to notify those who have passion for golf about a change in the golf retail landscape. Heaven forbid I address the human tragedy of being a casualty of corporate decision making.
You are right, not the smartest decision to leave a job right after becoming a father, but to be honest we don't even know the guy well enough to know if there could have been more to his story. Perhaps he was facing trouble at his old job and saw Watts as an opportunity to start over. It's a damn shame because he has real passion for the game.

I had another guy completely ignore my point and ask when the clearance sale begins. I probably said a few things that will get me banned from this site actually. So do me and everyone else a favor and dont make assumptions of anyone's knowledge of 'business.'

You posted this in Deal or No Deal. Why would you curse a guy out for asking about a clearance sale from a going out of business golf shop. When you see Borders going out of business and having an 80% off sale do you go in and buy a book or do you sit and cry about the thousands of people who lost their jobs. Like they say "When your neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. When you lose yours, it's a depression". I feel bad for your recently hired co-worker, but you shouldn't post this here and be shocked and outraged when somebody asks about the "deal".

#37 jmt0313

jmt0313

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61423
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 06 September 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

If you would please show me where any employee was mistreated, I'd be happy to make a personal observation on that point. However, nobody has shown any in this thread. The stores are clearly not profitable based upon the OP's own comments about how they only tell people where the restrooms are. So, EW has chosen to close them and end this experiment in business models. Their attempt failed.

There's really not enough information here to determine the true facts. We only have the biased post of a part time employee to go by. If there is other evidence to show how EW was mistreating their employees, I'm all ears.

Bringing on a new full time employee only to close two weeks later? That is bait and switch, which I consider mistreatment and is generally considered unethical in terms of human resource management. Since you chose to overlook this part of the post, it seems you have no sympathy for these people.

I highly doubt a manager of an EW location inside a Sears would be privy to executive directional change 10 days prior to the announcement.  It is also very possible the decision was finalized within 10 days of the announcement to employees.

If this were true, the ethical thing to do would be to offer the employee a similar position somewhere else. OP didn't indicate that any such offer was made.

If the current employees weren't offered this, then I would consider it unethical to offer this to a new employee.

#38 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

Huh.. Never knew EW did something like that.. The whole Sears thing... I haven't been in a mall with a Sears in a while, but pretty interesting concept.

#39 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3052

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

View Postjmt0313, on 06 September 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 06 September 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

If the current employees weren't offered this, then I would consider it unethical to offer this to a new employee.

I would be inclined to agree.

edit: However, the situation was created by EW and the responsibility is theirs to resolve it, or not.

Edited by MadGolfer76, 06 September 2011 - 08:15 PM.

Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#40 AP2 712

AP2 712

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104278
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

OP... which location did you work at?

I stopped by one a few months back and saw it was a bad business model doomed to fail at the expense of many good workers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 JTK37

JTK37

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4032
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

View PostTP Ghosted, on 07 September 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

I stopped by one a few months back and saw it was a bad business model doomed to fail at the expense of many good workers.

Sounds like the Livingston location

#42 AP2 712

AP2 712

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

View PostJTK37, on 08 September 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostTP Ghosted, on 07 September 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

Thats kind of what I was thinking

#43 AP2 712

AP2 712

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Still curious to know.....

#44 Pweb44

Pweb44

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67268
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostFATC1TY, on 06 September 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

Huh.. Never knew EW did something like that.. The whole Sears thing... I haven't been in a mall with a Sears in a while, but pretty interesting concept.

Actually I thought it could have been a good move by EW to partner with Sears (at the time it was announced) to open up EW shops in Sears. I thought it would have been better to go to cities that did not have any major stand alone golf stores within a certain radius. There are plenty of places that have Sears stores but little to no choices for golf retailers with out having to drive an hour+ to find a Golf Galaxy/Golfsmith/Dicks Sporting Goods etc. EW took the risk and it failed to produce the desired result when they partnered with Sears to expand their brand and gain more of the market share for golf equipment sales.

It is sad that the stores are closing and people are loosing their jobs. I agree that EW should have sent a memo to these stores stating to suspend hiring until further notice if closing announcements were pending. It is a shame that the OP's co-worker is going to be out of work so soon after being hired but that could happen to anyone. There are still plenty of unknowns, such as if they will offer employees the option of relocating to other EW stores or how long before they close the doors for good. I'm sure we'll hear more as the next few weeks/months progress.

#45 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

I never even considered going to EW in Livingston, but I made many visits to GG and Golfsmith on Rte 10 during the same period, so I guess that is one small example of why this concept failed.  I guess I didn't miss anything.

TM R9 Supertri TP 10.5*, Fubuki 63 R
Cobra Bio Cell 3w and 5w
Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 22* Hybrid
Ping G25 Irons 5-UW, CFS S
TM Tour Preferred 54* and 58* Wedges
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2 CM Putter

#46 AP2 712

AP2 712

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postjeffrey r, on 09 September 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

I never even considered going to EW in Livingston, but I made many visits to GG and Golfsmith on Rte 10 during the same period, so I guess that is one small example of why this concept failed.  I guess I didn't miss anything.

Ive worked in a SWAS (store within a store) for a wireless carrier.
Unless you offer specific promotions that can't be had at outside locations, you will not draw traffic into your location. I can't say that EW did this, but if they did, they failed in their marketing attempts poorly.
If anyone from EW is reading this.. please contact me to help turn around your business model ;)

Edited by TP Ghosted, 09 September 2011 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors