Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Edwin Watts to CLOSE several Sears locations

45 replies to this topic

#1 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138166
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

Just found out a few days ago that Edwin Watts will be closing several of their Sears locations which opened just over a year ago...how did I learn of this? Well I work at one.

I can't even begin to explain what a poor decision it was on behalf of this company to 'experiment' with these satellite stores. We might as well have been in a closet. No one shopped our department, all advertising efforts were a waste.  There is a Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy within 3 miles of my location. It is almost as if they didn't do any research. My guess is they went for the Sears that offered the cheapest rent.

Three smart, knowledgeable, golf people spent a year telling people where the restrooms were.

And so now several dozen people are out of work. Thanks, Edwin Watts, stay classy.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ForeRL

ForeRL

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12400
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:59 AM

We never had any in northern California. Golfsmith rules here and some golf marts

#3 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65964
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

So were you unemployed when you took the job? Or were you working at another EW store and get transferred to the Sears outpost?

#4 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

View Postlander215, on 05 September 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

So were you unemployed when you took the job? Or were you working at another EW store and get transferred to the Sears outpost?

I was lucky enough to be a part time employee. I have a full time job elsewhere.

The real kicker for our branch was that they had just hired a full timer less than two weeks ago! This poor guy left a steady job just a few weeks after his wife had a baby to come work for Watts and they didn't have the decency to notify our manager to put the hiring process on hold knowing there may have been something in the works.

#5 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

View PostForeRL, on 05 September 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

We never had any in northern California. Golfsmith rules here and some golf marts

You aren't missing anything by not having EW in your area. Golfsmith is 100 times better.

#6 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

View Postrubob21, on 05 September 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:

I was lucky enough to be a part time employee. I have a full time job elsewhere.

The real kicker for our branch was that they had just hired a full timer less than two weeks ago! This poor guy left a steady job just a few weeks after his wife had a baby to come work for Watts and they didn't have the decency to notify our manager to put the hiring process on hold knowing there may have been something in the works.

I don't think you understand how business works. You probably are probably on the side that feels your employer owes you something other than your paycheck.

Sorry people lose their jobs...happens every day. You take a chance...sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Sounds like it was a pretty bad decision for the dude to change jobs just after a child is born. That's not smart on his part. It also sounds like by making the announcement now, before they close, they just notified everyone to not hire anyone else. Just bad timing for those that were hired. Again..roll of the dice.

#7 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

I don't appreciate you telling me that I don't understand business.  I came here to notify those who have passion for golf about a change in the golf retail landscape. Heaven forbid I address the human tragedy of being a casualty of corporate decision making.
You are right, not the smartest decision to leave a job right after becoming a father, but to be honest we don't even know the guy well enough to know if there could have been more to his story. Perhaps he was facing trouble at his old job and saw Watts as an opportunity to start over. It's a damn shame because he has real passion for the game.

I had another guy completely ignore my point and ask when the clearance sale begins. I probably said a few things that will get me banned from this site actually. So do me and everyone else a favor and dont make assumptions of anyone's knowledge of 'business.'

#8 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Why not? It's obvious you're oblivious to corporate America. They are not there to give you a job..they are there to make money. When they cease making money, they leave. Simple.

... So I'm gonna move along now.

#9 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Are there still stand-alone Edwin Watts stores or did Sears buy them out?  They used to be decent about 10-15 years ago.

#10 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3067

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

View Postlander215, on 05 September 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

View Postrubob21, on 05 September 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:

I don't think you understand how business works. You probably are probably on the side that feels your employer owes you something other than your paycheck.

Sorry people lose their jobs...happens every day. You take a chance...sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Sounds like it was a pretty bad decision for the dude to change jobs just after a child is born. That's not smart on his part. It also sounds like by making the announcement now, before they close, they just notified everyone to not hire anyone else. Just bad timing for those that were hired. Again..roll of the dice.

You mean like common decency? There is a philosophy of business/organizational theory which reasons that if you take care of your employees, you will improve their productivity and improve profits. Just because it is a matter of business doesn't mean people should become comfortable with writing off the mistreatment of employees as "just business."

Sorry to interrupt your tea.

Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

Thank you madgolfer, I appreciate a thoughtful response.

#12 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

If you would please show me where any employee was mistreated, I'd be happy to make a personal observation on that point. However, nobody has shown any in this thread. The stores are clearly not profitable based upon the OP's own comments about how they only tell people where the restrooms are. So, EW has chosen to close them and end this experiment in business models. Their attempt failed.

There's really not enough information here to determine the true facts. We only have the biased post of a part time employee to go by. If there is other evidence to show how EW was mistreating their employees, I'm all ears.

Please don't put words into my keyboard. Thanks.

#13 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't know if it would be considered mistreated, chances are to a bottom line "people are worthless cogs"
... it does not, but they authorized the hiring of a full time employee less than 10 days before informing the employees of the impending shut down. As I said earlier, and was echoed by madgolfer, if EW had any decency they would have asked our manager to tell his applicants there would be a delay in the hiring process.

#14 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 929

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Many are by now "trained" to accept corporate wrongdoing as the "wonderful hand of the markets."  Sort of like Goldman Sachs does "God's work" in the words of their CEO.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#15 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

View Postrafal, on 05 September 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

Many are by now "trained" to accept corporate wrongdoing as the "wonderful hand of the markets."  Sort of like Goldman Sachs does "God's work" in the words of their CEO.

Still waiting for someone to point out what EW did wrong or how they mistreated their employees.

Jump on the bandwagon if you like...but you're making assumptions not based upon any facts presented here.

Perhaps a union would have saved the jobs no longer needed at the Sears stores of EW?

LOL!

Thanks...I needed a good laugh this morning. Cya.

Edited by lander215, 05 September 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#16 vwgolfer

vwgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5955
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

I always find it sad and pathetic when people justify the stupid moves that coporate america makes. And then basically say well it's the poor employees fault for being a schmuck and taking a job. Edwin watts is stupid they should have never opened up in sears stores and never hired someone and then close shop in 2 weeks that is totally lame and very poor management.
my bag is full of J40s.
piretti putter

#17 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,379 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

View Postlander215, on 05 September 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

If you would please show me where any employee was mistreated, I'd be happy to make a personal observation on that point. However, nobody has shown any in this thread. The stores are clearly not profitable based upon the OP's own comments about how they only tell people where the restrooms are. So, EW has chosen to close them and end this experiment in business models. Their attempt failed.

There's really not enough information here to determine the true facts. We only have the biased post of a part time employee to go by. If there is other evidence to show how EW was mistreating their employees, I'm all ears.

Bringing on a new full time employee only to close two weeks later? That is bait and switch, which I consider mistreatment and is generally considered unethical in terms of human resource management. Since you chose to overlook this part of the post, it seems you have no sympathy for these people.
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#18 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

View Postcristphoto, on 05 September 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

Are there still stand-alone Edwin Watts stores or did Sears buy them out?  They used to be decent about 10-15 years ago.

There's one here. Good selection but they keep too many clubs, including putters, in the plastic. Also sucks cause half the guys that work there are a bit pretentious, but that's life.

#19 cantill2

cantill2

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83767
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Not to butt in here, but what does this post have to do with golf equipment?

#20 mr75204

mr75204

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135823
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

For the record, the Edwin Watts stores in Texas are fantastic

Edited by mr75204, 05 September 2011 - 11:32 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 ajgoodal.704

ajgoodal.704

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96379
  • Ebay ID:ajgoodal.704
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

I'm starting to see why so many advanced members and the like are leaving this site or not posting anymore.  Its turned into every other forum on the web where people come to trash each other.  I'm a huge fan of Edwin Watts, I do all my golf business with them, but not putting a hiring freeze out when this move was known to be coming is pretty poor ethics in my opinion.  I can understand the business move, but show a little class in doing so.
Callaway X2HOT - Fubuki ZT
Adams XTD Ti - Matrix Red Tie
Adams Pro Hybrid, Adams Pro DHY
TM Rocketbladez Tour - KBS C-Taper
Callaway MD2 Slate  (50,58) - KBS V-Spec
Odyssey Versa 9

#22 mr75204

mr75204

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135823
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

I thought the guy said he has a full time job? Why is he so up in arms over this?

#23 rubob21

rubob21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the support to those who understand what I was trying to say.

To the one who said I have a full time gig and not to worry about it I do worry about it, because it isn't fair to the guy who really got screwed. I'm the least liberal person I know, but I do believe in decency, and if that gets me up in arms over injustice done to someone else then so be it.

#24 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 05 September 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

Bringing on a new full time employee only to close two weeks later? That is bait and switch, which I consider mistreatment and is generally considered unethical in terms of human resource management. Since you chose to overlook this part of the post, it seems you have no sympathy for these people.

No, didn't overlook that at all. But I think you misread what the OP said. This other employee was hired, and then two weeks later EW announced they were going to be closing the stores within Sears. There is a difference. When are the stores actually closing? We don't know...we've only been told that they will be closing. Bait and switch? Really? So the new employee was given a job opportunity after EW closes? Nice. That or you've mixed your analogies. :)

And here's what we don't know...when was that decision made to close the stores? Everyone is assuming EW knew for those two weeks that they were...when perhaps it was simply one of their options in a down economy. When the decision was made and announced, then I would have issues with EW if they continued to hire for a store that was going to close.

What else don't we know? We don't know if EW offered the employee's at the stores that are closing jobs elsewhere within their organization. That would be a common situation, but everyone wants to BMW about evil corporate America (you know....like those that probably everyone here works for...evil evil evil) that nobody is asking those questions.

And why didn't this new employee do his homework on his potential new employer? Because it's easier to be sympathetic with him than ask the tough questions?

No...it's just way easier to jump on a bandwagon and make assumptions. After all...the truth usually adversely affects those positions that don't seek them out.

That's what's sad.

Cya.

#25 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,379 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

View Postlander215, on 05 September 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

No, didn't overlook that at all. But I think you misread what the OP said. This other employee was hired, and then two weeks later EW announced they were going to be closing the stores within Sears. There is a difference. When are the stores actually closing? We don't know...we've only been told that they will be closing. Bait and switch? Really? So the new employee was given a job opportunity after EW closes? Nice. That or you've mixed your analogies. :)

And here's what we don't know...when was that decision made to close the stores? Everyone is assuming EW knew for those two weeks that they were...when perhaps it was simply one of their options in a down economy. When the decision was made and announced, then I would have issues with EW if they continued to hire for a store that was going to close.

What else don't we know? We don't know if EW offered the employee's at the stores that are closing jobs elsewhere within their organization. That would be a common situation, but everyone wants to BMW about evil corporate America (you know....like those that probably everyone here works for...evil evil evil) that nobody is asking those questions.

And why didn't this new employee do his homework on his potential new employer? Because it's easier to be sympathetic with him than ask the tough questions?

No...it's just way easier to jump on a bandwagon and make assumptions. After all...the truth usually adversely affects those positions that don't seek them out.

That's what's sad.

Cya.

Whether the store closes in two weeks or six months is irrelevant. The employee took the job in good faith that there would be a reasonable term of employment. EW had an ethical responsibility to freeze hiring or at least give a head's up to their stores about a such a decision so they could take appropriate action. I don't know what I am supposedly confused about? If you offer someone a job (which they take), and then announce that the job will soon be disappearing, that is bait and switch.

In any case, perhaps the employee shouldn't have been so trusting of such an "evil corporation" if he was offered a job only to be told soon after that it was going to disappear that quickly. People don't expect others to do something so unethical, which is refreshing, really. I also think you presume too much that these corporations are so integral to life that we must all work for them. It was a naive comment that plays into corporate self-importance.

You talk about unanswered questions: the fact that OP (an employee) doesn't know the answer to the (hypothetical) questions you posed might indicate that the employees don't know the answers to those questions either, meaning EW hasn't offered them any other alternatives. Again, unethical practice.

You can choose to defend such practices to your heart's content (and shame yourself in so doing), but your arguments hold no substance.

Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#26 GwrxMod

GwrxMod

Tour Winner

• Marshals
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Rules

Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

• •While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

Cleaned up the mess.

Please post within all of our forum rules, thanks.

#27 GwrxMod

GwrxMod

Tour Winner

• Marshals
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postajgoodal.704, on 05 September 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

I'm starting to see why so many advanced members and the like are leaving this site or not posting anymore.  Its turned into every other forum on the web where people come to trash each other...
Please use the REPORT! button when rules are broken.

We'll deal with the few bad apples appropriately.

The trashing of other members will not be tolerated -- as directed by our Goals:  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

#28 Foreleft

Foreleft

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3786
  • Ebay ID:Iflyfishletort
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

What struck me about this is . . .

Sears is still business?

Think I was last in one, oh, about 25 years ago.  Can't possibly imagine who thought putting golf equipment in there could possibly be a good idea.  Makes about as much sense as Lane Bryant putting merchandise in Pep Boys.

Craftsman driver, anyone?

Edited by Foreleft, 05 September 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#29 AC in TX

AC in TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94799
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

View Postmr75204, on 05 September 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

For the record, the Edwin Watts stores in Texas are fantastic
+1 for the Round Rock store. Great folks working there!
Ping G25 10.5*/ 16.5* woods
Ping G25 20*/ K15 23 hybrids
G25 5 - UW irons
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54/58
SeeMore PCB 34"
Srixon Q-Star / Neo X / Bionic

#30 jmt0313

jmt0313

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61423
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

View Postlander215, on 05 September 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

I highly doubt a manager of an EW location inside a Sears would be privy to executive directional change 10 days prior to the announcement.  It is also very possible the decision was finalized within 10 days of the announcement to employees.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors