Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What do you guys think about Honma

68 replies to this topic

#61 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostWinetemplar, on 19 January 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Bankruptcy. This keyword reveals a lot of info...

They went into building golf courses. That is where they lost all the money they made making clubs.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 chasemyaccord

chasemyaccord

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56073
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

My dad received a Honma driver about 15 years ago and continues to game it to this day. I hit it a couple times back then and I didn't really notice anything special. I know they are ridiculously expensive for what you get compared to a domestic equivalent.

#63 Winetemplar

Winetemplar

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222053
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postxxio, on 20 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

They went into building golf courses. That is where they lost all the money they made making clubs.

Had no idea. Thanks.

http://www.japantime...20120828a3.html

#64 10sgr8

10sgr8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190062
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

With a full set of 5 stars coming in at around $32,000, these are the ultimate clubs for posers like Marc Anthony on his honeymoon with J-Lo in Hawaii where it is said he bought a whole set to play his first round of golf.  Having said that, I bought a used demo 3 star driver and could not have been more impressed.  The stability of the head was amazing no matter how hard the swing.  So I am constantly on the eBay search for used wood shafts.  You can use an R flex, which for US markets is apparently a SR, swing easy and gain distance with great control.  For me, another manufacturer's R is too torquey and hard to control, while an S offers control without the distance. All my buddies have really commented the same when trying them. So I think alot of us are playing too stiff a shaft and sacrificing distance in order to control an unstable shaft.  Not much difference in performance between a 3 and 4 star, and the 4 stars start looking pretty cheesey with the gold sheen.  Have not tried the irons. But it seems most comments are pretty biased as, for example, the really expensive Miura 9003's blow away the feel and performance of any Mizuno; just because they are outrageously expensive, we can't write them off; we just can't afford them.

#65 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 638

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostScuderia, on 18 January 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

certainly not like they used to be.  Post bankruptcy, they product started getting flashier and cheezy looking!   Gone are the days of the lb series!
If you are still reading this thread 4 years later, I've just picked up a full set of LB-708's and talk about them in rounds with a vintage bag forum

Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older, like me, we're comfortable together

Regular bag:
Driver: TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*

Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Fairway: Spalding Exec 7W 25*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop LW
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic collection:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7 PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1 PGF Aristocrat Tour #3 PGF Little Slammer #5 Slazenger Gary Player #2
Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear mkIII #4 Spalding Executive #7 Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-SW Hogan Apex Plus E 46* Lovett Tour Standard chipper 59* Karsten PING PAL2 Knox Bullseye MacGregor bag

#66 RickPro

RickPro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481492
  • Handicap:36
  • Ebay ID:ric715
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

View Postseoulbrother, on 03 September 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

My pops just got a set of Honma Beres Irons and he claims they are the best irons out. I don't much about them except their gear is hella expensive and I see old folks always playing them. I'd put my MP-68's against pretty much anything out there, but when the Honma price tag is double the price of my Mizuno's...

absolutely nothing special about them. they are overpriced and overrated, but my friends stand by them. they also have been tested and were only a silver, while mizuno is gold every year. I play mizuno mp69, also a japanese club, but not even in the same field. If you think honma is bad, you should see all these other rip off japanese clubs out there. He tried to explain to me that my clubs are like a bmw m3, while his honma are like a ferrari. I laughed at him and told him he should of used that money to get lessons instead of buying clubs that won't help your game. He loses to me everytime, but we have a great time with giving each other a hard time. one thing he can't argue is numbers (my driving yardage, my iron distance, and my golf scores) LOL

Get what you like i guess, but if something cost twice, 3, or 4 times more then what i have, it better put me on the fairway 100% of the time, or put me within 3 feet of the flag every time.  

just my $0.02

#67 95124hacker

95124hacker

Rare putter collection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356977
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

The Tour World range means business and just as good as Mizuno & Srixon. Their Vizard graphite shafts are up there with Fujikura, Mitsubishi Rayon/Chemical, UST Mamiya, ...  I wished they were 100% made in Japan though. Their resale value kinda sux

#68 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Nothing but quality in every Tour World product I've owned. Their graphite shafts are every bit as good as overpriced aftermarket offerings. Their drivers unknown bombers especially the 445 model. Srixon is decent quality as is Bridgestone. Owned 1 set of Mizunos that wasn't a collection of various values of tip plugs (never the same in a set) and that was a TN87 set I bought in Japan. Mizuno product in the U.S. must be a no scrap policy. The "best" set of all times was the MP100 anniversary set. Must have been a contest to see if they could use every denomination of tip plugs available 1 gram plastic to 14 gram brass with varying values of lead plugs in between.  On a whim I bought a set of JPX 900 tours last year and changed shafts and voila brass plugs in every shaft. These were better as the difference was only 6 grams from the highest to lowest.  As far as the other expensive brands like Miura and Epon I found they are only as good as the club maker you are using, but at least supply consistent head weights in clubs.

Edited by sandy, 12 September 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#69 orangeruffy

orangeruffy

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55662
  • Handicap:3.0
  • Ebay ID:none
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

Just purchased a set of Honma 737vn. Got them today. I am use to buying clubs, bringing them home, measure the swing weight and then put on my Mitchel machine and check loft and lie. Then deconstruct and build to specs. This is the first time I have bought clubs that where spot on. Swing weights were all D5. Everyone! Loft and lies spot on as well! I was shocked. The length of the clubs were in .5" increments. Not 3/8's" or 1/4"......... Hit them on the range few weeks ago. Have not played these yet, but will as soon as back heals.

I will say they feel/sound better to me than my 900 tours, at least the one's I hit a few weeks ago. I have the Modus 3 120X in these 737's and I am excited to put in play. The mizunos were out of spec...man were they!!! The p790's I just purchased I started to check tonight and they too were out of spec but I wont hit these until next spring after the long michigan winter. I didnt feel like messing with them and put away in my golf room.

As far as QC, the best I have ever seen and I have seen a lot over the last 20 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors