Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Should I shorten all my clubs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JamieLuu

JamieLuu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137381
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

So recently I've been thinking about if getting my clubs shorten will improve my hits and let me feel more comfortable using them, but I read some stuff about it messing with the SW, will it affect it enough that I can feel the difference or mess my hits up?

My specs:

I'm 5'4 or 163cm tall, wrist to floor is between 30.5-31".

I have: All TM R9, but Wedges are Callaway

Irons 3-PW

38.75" - 38.25" - 37.75" - 37.25" - 36.75" - 36.25" - 35.75" - 35.50"

Driver 45"

3wood 43", 5wood 42.5"

Wedges 35"

Apparently I need around -0.75" to 1" shorter, so would that be ok, or better off leaving it as it is?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

Clublength is much more about the right lie angles and the right trade-off between distance and control (for your swing), than it is about 'personal geometry'. From what I have seen over the past few years, the average driver shaft length on the LPGA is longer than it is on the PGA Tour (for example).

And while VJ is close to a half a foot taller than me, he can obviously hit clubs (like his 8i, 9i, etc) that are shorter than my 5i. So there is no reason to think that if you put my 5i head on his 9i shaft, then suddenly he could not hit the ball any more

EXCEPT

1) the lie angle is probably WAY off for him (something that can be adjusted, within reason and that would include SW or MOI)

2) The club would probably no longer 'fit' within his distance targets

So the 1st thing that I would do is to verify the lie angles (particular clubs 3i and shorter). This is easy to do if you have access to a range with mats. Just hit a dozen balls or so - enough that you get a 'layer of green stuff' on the bottom of your club. If the 'center' of the green stuff is more than 1/4" off the center of the sole of your club, then your lie angles are off enough to matter. This can be adjusted by bending the clubs (or possibly club length changes).

The 2nd consideration is your distance gaps. However, loft is a bigger factor here than is clublength (not the same as saying that clublength does not matter).

IMHO, the 'wrist to floor' vs. length charts are more about matching standard lies to you than they are about finding the 'right length' for you.

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC, 29 August 2011 - 08:57 AM.

#3 dsales

dsales

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62564
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

The numbers you're talking about reflect static measurement and the golf swing is a dynamic motion.  What's more important is find out what the club is doing in the downswing and at impact.  What the chart says from a static measurement to that of actually hitting the ball could dramatically change while swinging the club. A dynamic fit is way more important then just measuring your height and wrist to floor.  Find a good fitter and have him fit you.

#4 Strapping Young Plaid

Strapping Young Plaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105257

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

I am not much taller than you are and getting fit is the best advise. Like DaveLeeNC, the issue is probably more one of lie angle than length. My clubs are standard length but 2 degrees flat and to me it makes a world of difference.

#5 inmens

inmens

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55261
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

Why don't you just grip short?

#6 JamieLuu

JamieLuu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137381

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

Forgot I made this thread... Well I don't think the problem is length anymore, and could be lie angle, like DaveLee said. I read that my hands should be sorta under my chin (I don't know if thats true or not) but when I do that my long irons head rest on the heel, and when I try to get the lie to be flat, it feels like my hands are too far and up away from me. I'm probably gonna hit the range tomorrow to confirm it, but say it was lie angle, would it be safe to bend them since I'm pretty sure mine are cast?

Maybe I could just be over thinking everything? I just started golfing around 5 months ago, I rarely can hit 2 good nice straight shots with my long irons in a row (I practice with the 4 the most), usually I'll top it or hit it to the left (I'm right handed), but when I do hit it it goes about 200 yards.

Edited by JamieLuu, 15 September 2011 - 05:58 AM.

#7 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

@HitEmTrue1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

View PostJamieLuu, on 15 September 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

I rarely can hit 2 good nice straight shots with my long irons in a row (I practice with the 4 the most)

You can get a lot of mileage, in improving both your long and short game, by practicing half-shots mainly with a wedge.  Learn how to make consistent, solid-contact.

Welcome to the game and the forum.

#8 bmlh29

bmlh29

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132914
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

View Postinmens, on 29 August 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

Why don't you just grip short?

I was told this by a salesperson when i bought my last set of clubs since my arms come just at the cutoff for standard length. He said it's not worth the price of having the shafts cut down when I can just choke up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors