Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fastest Swing Speed with Regular Flex Shaft?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Regular Flex Shafts (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Whats your Driver Swing Speed

1. 90mph and Under (6 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. 91-95mph (19 votes [41.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

3. 96-99mph (8 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. 100-102mph (5 votes [10.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

5. 103 mph and over (8 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 wn1998

wn1998

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80935
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I played golf with a buddy from College that can really rip his drives. He said he has never had his swing speed checked but was bombing 275 yard drives with an old 10.5 degree Callaway Big Bertha driver with a  Regular Flex Shaft. He really has a great swing and I would have guessed his SS would put him in a Stiff flex shaft but he was crushing them dead straight.

I know my SS is in the 93-95mph range  I typically hit my drivers in the 220-240 range with my 10.5 degree R7 with a Aldilia  DVS stiff Shaft. I am toying with the idea of going back to my stock regular flex shaft. Would the regular give me much more distance?

Edited by wn1998, 22 August 2011 - 12:46 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Jimbud

Jimbud

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67683
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I think a honest 245 to 255 is a hell of a drive for a person with a low 90's swing speed.  You are probably losing some distance with the stiff shaft. Again (probably)  Don't know enough about your swing. I would guess you're not producing enough spin to keep the ball in the air with the stiff shaft.
TM RBZ Stage 2, Matrix Ozik Xcon 10.5
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5 Fairway
Adams Idea Tech V4 19 & 22 Hybrid
Mizuno MP53 & MP63 combo iron set
Vokey 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Camron Kombi S

#3 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

I would go back to R at least for a trial. I can get it out about that distance in metres with an R flex and play with a few guys that fly me 20+m still with an R flex, they are damn good golfers though, very smooth swings.

I think the issue will be dispersion, you might pick up yards but start to spray more

#4 TomWishon

TomWishon

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
GolfWRX Likes : 1403

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

wn1998, on 22 August 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

I played golf with a buddy from College that can really rip his drives. He said he has never had his swing speed checked but was bombing 275 yard drives with an old 10.5 degree Callaway Big Bertha driver with a  Regular Flex Shaft. He really has a great swing and I would have guessed his SS would put him in a Stiff flex shaft but he was crushing them dead straight.

I know my SS is in the 93-95mph range  I typically hit my drivers in the 220-240 range with my 10.5 degree R7 with a Aldilia  DVS stiff Shaft. I am toying with the idea of going back to my stock regular flex shaft. Would the regular give me much more distance?

WN:

First of all, there is no standard in the golf industry for how stiff any of the letter codes for flex are.  Thus it is a fact that the R flex in one company's shaft model can be the same stiffness as the A flex or S flex from other companies.  It is also a fact that within the same shaft company, the R flex in one shaft model can measure to have a different stiffness than the R flex in another shaft model from the same company.  Yes, I know this really sounds screwed up, but anyone who does a lot of precise shaft stiffness measurement work will verify this.  It's just the way it is because each company is free to determine how stiff any of their letter flex designations for shafts are created and made.  

Second, you have the situation in which what feels "stiff enough" or what feels "too stiff" or "too flexible" to one golfer is not going to feel that way to another golfer.  We golfers all acquire over time and hitting lots of different clubs, a different set of "feels" for our golf clubs from which we determine what feels good and what feels not as good.  Just because two golfers might have the same swing speed, or because a golfer may have a swing speed that is higher or lower than what the swing speed rating is for a shaft, that has nothing to do with whether that shaft ends up feeling good or not so good to a golfer.  

Third, swing speed alone is not the only determining factor for how much a set swing speed actually bends the shaft during the swing.  How much the golfer actually bends the shaft during the swing is also a product of how forceful their transition move is when they start the downswing, how aggressive their overall downswing is, and how early to late they unhinge the wrist **** release on the downswing.  Thus it is VERY common to see two golfers with the same swing speed who because of swing differences in these specific swing areas, will very definitely need or do better with totally different shafts from a stiffness design standpoint.  And that doesn't account for what shaft bending FEEL differences the two golfers may have acquired over the years of hitting shots with different clubs and shafts.  

There is no question that for some golfers who do have the ability to feel how much and when a shaft bends during the shot, and who have developed a preference for when and how much the shaft bends, it is VERY IMPORTANT for these types of golfers to end up with a shaft that falls right into this "wheelhouse" of preferred bending feel.  For such golfers, if they play with a shaft that feels too stiff by some amount and at some point in the swing, their natural tendency is then to swing harder to make the shaft feel like they want it to feel.  Conversely for a golfer who plays with a shaft that feels too flexible in some manner for their bending feel preferences, their natural tendency might be to try to swing smoother to make the shaft feel like they want it to feel.   Net result in such cases is that whenever we make some swing adjustment to make the shaft feel "better" to us, we make more swing mistakes and we don;t hit the ball as consistently solid, straight or long.  

At the same time, get a golfer with a specific shaft bending feel preference into a shaft that is just right, and the result more often is a full, free, unrestricted, unmanipulated swing and full free release of the club to impact that often results in a little higher swing speed and more distance and a more solid feel.  

In the case of your buddy, I'm betting that even if he can't specifically identify the bending feel of this shaft in the BB driver, there is little question it falls into whatever shaft bending feel "wheelhouse" that allows him to swing free and unrestricted to get the distance and results you see from his shots.  Were you to slip a stiffer or more flexible shaft into this same driver, it's very likely you would not see the same results because either consciously or sub consciously he would start to detect a difference that would then eventually show up in the form of a less free and unrestricted swing.  

TOM

#5 phizzy30

phizzy30

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106656
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Tom is spot on with his post.  I've tried stiff flex tipped up to an inch before in the past with my swing speed(115+) and find that x flex untipped works better for me overall, although distance is better on solid hits with the stiff tipped.  Regular flex may be the right choice for you at your swing speed, but I personally think that tipping it a bit will help keep the spin down and possibly help with dispersion as well.

Tour issue R1 v2 w/matrix hdz-70x
Tour issue Rzr Hawk 15* fuji-105x proto
Deep face TM proto 16*, 20*, mrc thump x
Scratch ar-1 and sb-1 combo c-taper S+
Scratch 54*/RC 58* c-taper S+
2008 Scotty Cameron Button Back

#6 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

I think it is fairly safe to say that more golfers are in the wrong shaft going too stiff, versus the reverse situation.  It certainly can't hurt to try R flex and see what happens.

#7 lukesmurf59

lukesmurf59

Look at me, look at me... WHA-PANG!! LET'S GO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122208
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Once you reach the 90's you need a stiff, I'm not kidding when I say I gained about 10 yards from a switch from reg to stiff once I realized my swing speed had gone up.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT 60S
Titleist 913f 13.5 Diamana S+ 72 S
Callaway Razr X Tour 18 Fubuki AX 400h X
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18 PXi 6.0
Callaway TA X Prototype PX Flighted 6.0
Odyssey Metal X #7 Arm Lock

#8 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts