Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

ADAMS SPEEDLINE LP Review

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

I've been what I call "fairway wood challenged" for years.  Although I've played a few in the past years that I've liked, they never inspired much confidence in me. I've told several of my friends, the last 3 wood that I really liked was probably an old "tour" TM V Steel that I stupidly gave to my brother in law.  Since that club my 3 wood spot has been a revolving door. Even when one stayed in there, I'd rarely ever use it favoring my hybrid almost eighty percent of the time when it was questionable and driver off the tee figuring I had a higher percentage chance of keeping the ball in play than my 3 wood.  I've used 4+ fairway woods and they probably came the closest to staying in the bag but alas, I was still better off choking up a driver for the tight spot tee shots where I needed the yards my 4+ didn't give me.

I've tried three 3 woods this year. Cobra Baffler...nice but always too high no matter the shaft installed. TM R11..nice but not consistent enough. Maruman Shuttle...just couldn't get used to the size of the head. The R11 probably stayed in the bag the longest of the three yet there was still something missing that would cement it in the bag.

One of the golf shops I frequent is an Adams fitting center.  During one of my visits, the local rep was there showing the new product line. He was extremely excited about the new LP. He has known about me being fairway wood challenged and as soon as I walked in the door he showed it to me and said, "Reid, this is the fairway wood for you!". I laughed and said, yeah right...there's no such thing!  Well he explained the design to me and said I'd be able to get the ball up consistently, get longer shots with their Velocity Slot Technology and have the great forgiveness that Adams is known for.  Yadda, yadda, yadda I thought. I've heard it all before. Heck..I'm a GolfWRX moderator, part of my qualifications is being a ho and trying everything made! :D  

I looked at the stock shaft and thought to myself...please 55 gram shaft. I'm not a senior citizen...yet. :blush: Close but I don't want to admit it.  My Rep told me, that was the secret to my happiness. A light weight club with a light swing weight, stable shaft and forgiveness.  Again..yadda, yadda, yadda...BUT like any proud GolfWRX member, without much reasonable thought and need for convincing, I told him to order me one.

The day came a few weeks ago when my club arrived.  DISCLOSURE: I bought it at the retail price from my usual store.  Since I had seen the club in person when the Rep was bringing his samples around, I knew what it looked like. I now only needed to know how it felt. A quick step to the hitting bay was all I needed to learn this.

REVIEW

Adams Speedline LP
3 wood/15 degree
Radix 5.5 Shaft

PRO'S
Forgiveness without looking like a huge shovel of a 3 wood.

CON'S
Velocity Slot Technology on the crown which will take some getting used to.

BOTTOM LINE
This club works. Maybe too much for guys who aren't fairway wood challenged like me...but for those that are, you won't find an easier club to hit long and straight.

LOOKS

The Adams Speedline LP has a traditional shaped head that appeals to me. Although I've tried the big stretched out heads in an attempt to finding a 3 wood that agreed with me, I've never liked using them because I couldn't stand the looks.  The LP has a nice simple shape and black paint.  Probably the only thing I don't like is the bright blue paint on the shaft.  Velocity Slot Technology on the head...it's not pretty to look at but after you hit this club, you'll forget about it.

PERFORMANCE/PLAYABILITY

A 3 wood that actually knocked the yadda yadda yadda out of me!  For once, the rep wasn't just saying what he learned to say at the product meeting.  The LP does what it's supposed to do. I know people have said this about many clubs but I really feel the ball comes off faster off the face of the LP. For me, easily faster/hotter then my R11 and Baffler.  The Maruman was not even close in comparison.  The launch was perfect for me, high but not overly ballooning.  

As I said earlier, my hybrid was my usual go to club. I'd long given up on going for Par 5's in two as I knew my consistency was better put towards trying to knock one stiff with my 3rd shot then trying to carry water, or other hazards to get on on two.  My first round at my usual course, I found myself going for every Par 5 with the LP. Even on the hole I'd usually choke up a driver, I blasted my LP down the middle.  It did everything I wanted it to do. Curve, fly high and go far.  

At the driving range...even my buddies giggled when I hit the LP. Unanimously they said, I'd be a fool to ever change 3 woods. They also said even when I hit it fat the ball still went. :blush:

FEEL

Another overused word.."hot"..but this club feels hot to me.  The ball flies off the face quickly, launching into the air.  The feel is very solid which goes well with the solid sound at impact. No clang, high pitched tink. Just a nice solid sound.  It will appeal to many for sure.

BOTTOM LINE

I don't get paid to write these reviews. I don't get paid to play the LP. I just felt that it was that good I had to tell more about it. The LP works for me. A spot in my bag that has been a rotating black hole that's sucked all my wallet money to fill with 3 woods that haven't worked has been filled. I usually can't say that about many clubs..but after over a month with the LP, many range sessions, my Rep and my friends are right. I'd be an idiot to attempt a change.  I've been more then willing to show the LP to my friends at the range and offer them to try it.  I'm pretty sure they're sick of me talking about it...but since they've all played with me for years, they know the challenges I've had with past 3 woods. :blush:  Three have also ordered LP's for themselves. :yes:

If you've found your 3 wood spot a tough place to fill, go out and demo the LP.  I think you'll be pleased.

PIC's........................

IMG_5595.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG
IMG_5597.JPG
IMG_5599.JPG
IMG_5598.JPG
IMG_5600.JPG

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kekoa

kekoa

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 463

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

Is it as shallow faced as she looks?

#3 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

View Postkekoa, on 22 August 2011 - 02:41 AM, said:

Is it as shallow faced as she looks?

Odd...just looked at the pics and noticed it does look more squished then in life. Check out this link with comparison shots I took when I first saw the clubs.

ADAMS

#4 KPH808

KPH808

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135322
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for the great review. I'm the same way, very hesitant with my 3 wood off the deck on par 5s and only use it off the tee.

Edited by KPH808, 22 August 2011 - 03:15 AM.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* w/ Fuji TS 7.2x
Still searching for a new 3 wood
Titleist 712u - 2 iron w/ DG TI X100
Miura CB 501 4-9 w/ Nippon SPB X
Odyssey Versa BWB #1 Wide 35"
47* & 51* SM4, 55* TVD K, 59* TVD M

#5 mach 1

mach 1

"We're going to CRUSH them!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1017
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:08 AM

I played a couple rounds with the Adams LP 3 wood and man this is the easiest 3 wood to hit.  The velocity slot makes the 3 wood feel very hot and if you catch it thin it helps it get the ball up in the air.  If you need a 3 wood that feels hot, gets the ball up in the air, forgiving, and just stupid easy to hit then this is the fairway wood for you.

#6 Sakman

Sakman

@ryansako

• Marshals
  • 5,714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1687

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

Nice write up Reid.

I too have been on the hunt for the 'perfect' 3 wood and this may be worth looking into. Not a fan of the velocity slot, but the shallow profile looks promising.

You didn't have any issues with the shaft being too light?

#7 pitch

pitch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2118
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

Nice review. First one I bought was the 5 wood, almost a 4 wood. Now I own the 3 and 7 as well. Easiest fw I've hit since the old Callaway Steel head and early Adams.
If you're in the market for easy to hit fw's give these a try.

#8 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

View PostSakman, on 22 August 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

Nice write up Reid.

I too have been on the hunt for the 'perfect' 3 wood and this may be worth looking into. Not a fan of the velocity slot, but the shallow profile looks promising.

You didn't have any issues with the shaft being too light?

Thanks Ryan. :drinks:  Initially when I first saw the demo, I thought I'd have some issues with the shaft. After hitting it, I was pretty surprised. Although the swing weight felt light and my thoughts were that this club would be going high and heavy right for me, those problems never occurred.  Oddly the shaft really holds itself well together in the swing. I don't feel any massive torque on it that I would have expected.  Really, a total surprise that has worked really well for me this past month. Pretty much a record for me in 3 woods in my bag. :blush:

View Postpitch, on 22 August 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Nice review. First one I bought was the 5 wood, almost a 4 wood. Now I own the 3 and 7 as well. Easiest fw I've hit since the old Callaway Steel head and early Adams.
If you're in the market for easy to hit fw's give these a try.

LOL...I actually messed around with an old Steel head that I had during my tribulations.  A friend of mines is considering also getting the 5 wood to replace his hybrid. He liked the length better and the flight.

#9 da master 808

da master 808

Weeeeeeee!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22335
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

After watching the Pitbull hit his LP, I told him "you're an idiot if you get rid of this".  This is the best I've ever seen him hit a three wood...high penetrating trajectory, solid sound and LONNNGGGG!  I was so impressed with the LP after hitting it that I ordered one for myself.

#10 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

View Postda master 808, on 22 August 2011 - 08:00 PM, said:

After watching the Pitbull hit his LP, I told him "you're an idiot if you get rid of this".  This is the best I've ever seen him hit a three wood...high penetrating trajectory, solid sound and LONNNGGGG!  I was so impressed with the LP after hitting it that I ordered one for myself.

LOL..yes you did say that...more then once too. :blush: I get it already. You can stop it every time we play and go to the range. :tongue:  By the way...I no longer call myself fairway wood challenged. It's now the fairway wood savant. :D

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 freed0m

freed0m

Thugged Out Since Cub Scouts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72296
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

I hope there will be a Ti version of this model.

#12 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

We are the Old Dark Navy Blues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44148
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:55 AM

Nice review. I have the LP as well with the stiff Radix HD. Heres my take on it: it's a high launch monster. I swing about 108-113 with my driver but with the current Radix, it's just balloons and spins. Not good. As a comparison, my gamer is a Callaway DET shafted with a Miyazaki C Kua 43S and that launches lower.

Sound: It's interesting some call this a "solid sound". However, for my LP, the sound is muted, compared to the "lively ting" sound from the DET. This was the biggest disappointment with the head, I was expecting it to sound livelier. Kinda reminded me of the Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood, muted...but it does go.

I really wanted this head to work for me so I have since re-shafted the LP with a Talamonti x-stiff PD-70 and that's just a killer shaft. Love it! Dispersion is just so much better than the Radix! However, the LP still launches higher than I like to see for my 3 wood. Conclusion: it's the head. If this was 14*, it would have been perfect (except for the sound)!

LP is a great low profile head but if you want a lower launching 3 wood low profile head, this is not your head.Head is hot though :good:

Edited by SwingBlues, 23 August 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#13 swampcat18

swampcat18

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 622

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

Great review. I do have a question. How is this club different from the F11? I was thinking about picking up a F11 but would like to know what makes this one better?

#14 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,544 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

View PostSwingBlues, on 23 August 2011 - 02:55 AM, said:

LP is a great low profile head but if you want a lower launching 3 wood low profile head, this is not your head.Head is hot though :good:

That's why one of my friends is picking up the 3+/13* head to get it lower launching.

View Postswampcat18, on 23 August 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

Great review. I do have a question. How is this club different from the F11? I was thinking about picking up a F11 but would like to know what makes this one better?

Basically...for ME...I hit the LP better consistently over the F11.

This club may not be for everyone..especially one who is NOT fairway wood challenged.  If you are, this may be for you like it is for me quite a joy to own. :yes:

#15 hashrogers

hashrogers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138069

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Just tried it at the golf store. Both the F11 and the LP. Nice feel but very high launch and somehow the ball was going right! Maybe I was tired or something. But will give it another go. Comparing these to the Titliest 910FD

#16 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

Just like 'pitbull', I've been 'challenged' and haven't had a 3 wood in the bag for years.  I had long ago given up on going for par 5's in 2, opting to bunt it up the fairway with a 3 hybrid or 7 wood (whatever I'm carrying that day).  After reading this review, I ordered a Speedline LP 15* with Radix 5.1 r-flex in the blind.  Took it out for my first round last week, and hit the 5 best 3 wood shots of my life.  Only mis-hit it once (fat), but that still went straight just lost 20 yds or so.  May be the 'honeymoon' effect, but I hit my first par 5 in 2 shots since the late '90s!  Very excited to have a 3 wood in the bag again!  And I tried to sell this thing after a disasterous episode at the driving range with it, I've got to stop hitting off the dang mats.
Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*
Cleveland TA5 3-P
Cleveland RTX CB 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3 (Bridgestone e6)

#17 Dead Solid Perfect

Dead Solid Perfect

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23405
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:39 AM

If it's as easy to hit as the Adams Fast 10 then it's Got to be good. I love the ease of use of Adams Fairway woods!

#18 MKSmith

MKSmith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55064
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hate to be picky, but would love to hear about swing speeds and distances and some launch monitor results with some different clubs, to see some numerical differences. Sorry, thanks for taking the time and effort to review.

#19 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

View PostMKSmith, on 26 September 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

Hate to be picky, but would love to hear about swing speeds and distances and some launch monitor results with some different clubs, to see some numerical differences. Sorry, thanks for taking the time and effort to review.

No launch monitor results for me with this club, but my driver swing speed is about 90mph.  During my first round with the LP, I estimate that I hit the LP about 210-215 yds carry.  Course was soft that day and there was no roll to be had.  On one shot in particular I was right next to a sprinkler head that was marked 217 yds to the back of the green, my ball mark on the green was about 3-4 yds before the back edge, so I estimate that I flew it 213 or so.  Hit two other real good shots that day where I had a good idea of the distance and carry was estimated to be 210-215 yds.  That distance is pretty good for me, better than I've done with a 3 wood in awhile because I've had trouble getting the ball to carry and typically push them out to the right.
Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*
Cleveland TA5 3-P
Cleveland RTX CB 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3 (Bridgestone e6)

#20 mcduff

mcduff

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55936

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

I definitely fall into the category of "fairway wood challenged."  Currently playing an Adams Fast 10 draw, which I hit better than any other fairway I've played. Recently, I've been hitting it better, i.e., more consistently and straighter, than ever, but I'm still in search of the ever elusive "perfect" 3W.  I think the Speedline LP may be a good candidate.  The lower profile looks more like my hybrids (the 2008 model TaylorMade Burner Rescue) that I hit really well.  So I'm thinking that may be the difference between being fairway wood challenged and not.  Will need to go to Golfsmith or Dick's to hit the LP on the simulator and see how it compares to my Fast 10.  If it's as "easy" to strike bell consistently as my hybrids, I might have to give it a go.  The only "concern" I have is how high the ball flight is.  My Fast 10 has the OEM Aldila Wasabi shaft which is mid-launch and gets the ball up there.  Between the launch characteristics of the low profile head and the Matrix Radix high launch shaft, I might end up with a "too high" ball flight.  If that's the case, I'd just do what I did with my TaylorMade Burner Rescues, which had a really high ball flight with the OEM shafts so I put Aldila NV (low-mid launch) shafts in them.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 World'sGreatestHacker

World'sGreatestHacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124862
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

great club and great looks too

#22 mcduff

mcduff

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Well, I couldn't resist the temptation of eBay and bought myself a Speedline LP 3W (draw).  The shaft is REALLY BLUE!  I should be able to hit it side-by-side with my Fast 10 tomorrow.  If not tomorrow, then over the weekend.  It will be interesting to see how the LP compares to the Fast 10 in terms of ball flight and distance.  But what I'm really hoping is that it's as easy to hit off the deck as my TaylorMade hybrids.

#23 mcduff

mcduff

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

OK, I'm a Speedline LP convert.  Hit it at the range today back-to-back against my Fast 10.  I can't say that it's the be all-end all for being fairway wood challenged, but I definitely hit it more better.  In other words, the Speedline LP can't make a bad swing good.  But it is easier to hit off the deck (for me) than the Fast 10 (and the Fast 10 was easier for me to hit than any other fairway wood I've played).  And it was eezy-peezy to hit teed up (and, as others have noted, you don't have/want to tee it up very high due to the low profile face).  Distance was longer than my Fast 10, but not hugely so.  The biggest revalation was the Matrix shaft.  I was worried because it's a high launch shaft that the ball would balloon.  I hit some pretty "towering" shots when I had it teed up, but almost all my shots off the deck were more a mid-flight trajectory with the height coming in the second half of the ball flight.  So, at least for starters, the Matrix shaft is a keeper.  I'll know for sure as I practice and play with it more whether I'll want to swap it out for something else.

#24 mcduff

mcduff

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

After hitting a lot of balls on the range and playing with the Matrix shaft, I decided that the ball flight was a little too high to my liking.  Not really ballooning per se, but just higher than I'd like.  So I re-shafted with the Aldila NV 65R.  Much better.  The ball flight has come down (especially the initial part of the trajectory) and I'm probably longer too.  And the NV just feels more smooth/stable than the Matrix.  All in all, I think I've finally found a fairway wood I can have confidence in being able to hit.

#25 Qqq123xx

Qqq123xx

I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264022
  • Handicap:XX.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1331

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Well even though last post was over year ago thought I would put my two cents in. Actually have not hit this club, that said a online golf store has this club for $38 and change. Definitely thinking of pulling the trigger for that price.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9  4-gw. TT  reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
Nxt Tour.
Cleveland Classic #4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors