Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Medium Width Golf Shoes Vs Wide Width

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GIR LOL

GIR LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125155
  • Ebay ID:bbay055
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Im looking to buy a pair of Footjoys but I can only find the shoes i want in wide. Is the difference enough that i shouldnt buy them?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1357

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

The ones you buy will either fit or not. The only way to know for sure is to try them on. For sure the "wide" FootJoys will not fit the same as "medium" ones. So if you're certain that the "medium" fit properly I'd think sticking to "medium" is best. It's not just a label, the shoe will definitely be a different width.

Keep in mind also that FootJoy uses several different lasts (foot-shaped forms around which the shoe is built) among their different models of golf shoe. So some will be narrower in the front and wider in the heel, some the opposite, some more curved than others. That has as big an effect on fit as "medium" vs. "wide".

#3 kiteman

kiteman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128941
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

M fits me better than Wide.  try online at 3balls.com.  i actually just received the FJ Contours today with the BOA technology.  they fit fantastically and i only paid $63 with free shipping.  

also i will tell you that the reason i bought them is because i was wearing a poorly fitted Nike shoe for about 3 months and it caused a stress fracture in my foot and i have not been able to play golf for 2 weeks now and still taking time off.  for a period of that time i even had a slight limp.  so, make sure the shoes you get fit as good as they can, because a foot injury can put you out for a while.

#4 albatrosser

albatrosser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73432
GolfWRX Likes : 512

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

footjoys run fairly wide in many instances (with exception of the Synr-G in my opinion) compared with the Nike and Adidas brand.

Try them on with the style of socks you'll be wearing before purchasing just to be sure.
T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* w/ Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* w/ Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5 (A.L.E.)w/ Aldila ATX Blue
Cobra S3 Pros CB/MB 5-P w/ XP105's
WITB Link
Odyssey ProType #3
B-stone West coast design 52/58

#5 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

The FootJoys I've owned run particularly wide in the heel. Which is why I don't wear them any more. If I get the "wide" width, which is necessary to give my toes enough room, the middle and back part of the shoe lets my foot move around too much. There are some lasts that are bit fuller in the forefoot and snugger in the heel (maybe one is called "Laser" IIRC) and those work OK but still not as good as Eccos which are pretty much designed from the get-go for feet like mine.

#6 Stanley Mayhem

Stanley Mayhem

Rookie

• Spam
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136683
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

get what you need.  Too wide and you feel like you are sliding and no balance.

#7 EBgolf

EBgolf

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75432
  • Ebay ID:erburn77

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

I did the same thing I bought a pair of Classics when they were getting rid of all of them and the only one they had in my size was a wide.  I bought them anyway and they are a little to wide.  They are not uncomfortable by any means but I can definitely tell a difference in them vs. the medium width.  It is not to bad for me as I am really in between the medium and the wide.  The mediums are a touch to narrow but the wide are to wide.  If the mediums fit perfect then I would say the wide will be way to wide.

EB

#8 Stanley Mayhem

Stanley Mayhem

Rookie

• Spam
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136683

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

They will stretch correct?  So better to start narrow.

#9 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

I've never had a pair of golf shoes get any bigger than they are the first time I put them on. Well, when they get slap worn out the area around the heel sags but other than that, nothing.

My feet, conversely, have definitely stretched over the last 10 years or so. Used to be somewhere in the 10-1/2 to 11 range in most brands and now 12's tend to be a little on the snug side.

#10 sgniwder99

sgniwder99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107399
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

I've had success with a pair of Footjoys in a wide size that were a half-size smaller than my normal size. But I only went with them after trying them on to make sure this would work. Otherwise I would only buy my standard size. Plus, as Fourmyle says above, different FJs have different fits regardless of width. More than any other brand of shoe that I've found, you have to try on FJs before you buy.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 13 & 16.5 (RIP S)
Titleist 910H 19 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-9 (C-Taper S)
Nike Forged 48, 53, & 58* (DG S)
Cleveland Classic HB 1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, they must have as many different lasts in the FootJoy range as Nike, Ecco, Adidas and Etonic combined.

#12 shootermcgavin2

shootermcgavin2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134202
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

i've always typically worn 1/2 sz larger in nike bc they always tend to be narrower fit. i have short but wide feet so it's the only way i could get into some shoes without it being extremely uncomfortable up front. with the folks that make wide sizes though, i can wear my actual size.

#13 PattonFrench

PattonFrench

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108448

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

View PostStanley Mayhem, on 17 August 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

They will stretch correct?  So better to start narrow.

+1.  They'll likely stretch and FJs do tend to run wide, so I'd go M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors