Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

LEARN FROM A PGA CHAMP: A breakdown of Keegan Bradley's swing and putting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Hennessey

Steve Hennessey

• Golf Digest Publications
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135126
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

You see it all the time -- a golfer goes from playing mini tours to graduating to the PGA Tour. Ian Poulter went from being an assistant pro in England and a 4-handicap to being one of the world's elite players.

Well, now it's Keegan Bradley, who was playing on the Hooters Tour just a couple years ago. Fast forward to this weekend, and Bradley is now one of the front-runners for PGA Tour Player of the Year after his win at the PGA Championship (his second win of the year).

What kind of changes did the PGA champ incorporate in his game? Golf Digest's Managing Editor, Roger Schiffman, spoke with world-class instructor Jim McLean about the changes he helped Bradley make.

See how they can help you improve your game, and let us know what you think: Monday Swing Analysis: How Keegan won the PGA

---

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Stryker

Stryker

Opposing Forces

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127729
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

From the Full Swing section of the article..

His hips would also "twist" or "reverse" in his backswing, meaning his  left hip would get closer to the target while his upper body moved too  far off the ball.

Read More http://www.golfdiges...l#ixzz1VCVYwTjH

I just made a new topic yesterday when I noticed I am doing the exact same thing. My hips are moving towards the target and my upper body is moving away during the back swing. Wish he would of gone into more detail on how they made this change. Anyone have any thoughts?

#3 Aquelarre

Aquelarre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43873

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

This seems to be an error: "Jim said he wanted Keegan to get his lower half and upper half more  "stacked" on top of each other, essentially the opposite of what Stack  and Tilt promotes." Actually, keeping both COG's stacked is precisely what S&T promotes and the reason for the "S" part. Difficult to spot what Jim or the editor tried to say.

#4 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53473
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

View PostAquelarre, on 16 August 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

This seems to be an error: "Jim said he wanted Keegan to get his lower half and upper half more  "stacked" on top of each other, essentially the opposite of what Stack  and Tilt promotes." Actually, keeping both COG's stacked is precisely what S&T promotes and the reason for the "S" part. Difficult to spot what Jim or the editor tried to say.
Haha, is that talking about the backswing?

Edit* read the article and apparently he wants the hips to move back with the upper cog to get "stacked." A, good luck with that and B, yea that's definitely different.

Edited by cbrian, 16 August 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#5 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 521

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

View Postcbrian, on 16 August 2011 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostAquelarre, on 16 August 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

Haha, is that talking about the backswing?

Edit* read the article and apparently he wants the hips to move back with the upper cog to get "stacked." A, good luck with that and B, yea that's definitely different.

Yeah, McLean has always advocated a sway loading/lateral move in the backswing, aka "loading over the right leg."  Similar to Ballard or even Leadbetter.  I guess Bradley was reverse hip shifting, aka "backshifting" with too much axis tilt in the backswing for Jim's liking and more like what Sean Clement does.

#6 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yea but the lower cog is never going to move back enough to be stacked.

#7 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 521

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

Right, swaying over the right leg and simultaneously having the Cg's "stacked" sounds dangerously close to a reverse pivot to me and would require more timing, not less, IMO.  This is probably more an issue with the explanation in the article rather than what he actually worked on.

Edited by hoganfan924, 16 August 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#8 bl3

bl3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130740

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

So what type swing does Keegan have (1 plane, 2 plane, S&T,ect.)? And I'm just a lowly scratch golfer and by no means a teacher, but I think he has the best looking and repeating swing in golf... I love his spine angle at address, he really bends at the waist and allows his arms to naturally hang. Just a great repeating swing in my opinion...

#9 Soupster

Soupster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129593

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

what is your definition of swaying?

#10 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

View PostSoupster, on 16 August 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

what is your definition of swaying?

Don't know who you are asking, but both COG's moving would be pretty good start at defining a sway.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors