Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

dynamic gold s300 vs x100

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mwmilk

mwmilk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4052
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

i am currently playing s300 in my irons. (5 iron=38.5")  my ball flight is VERY high.  i feel enough so that i am losing distance. i am wondering how much stiffer are x100 shafts. when i was fit on true temper shaft lab i was into the x100 flex level, but i am afraid of these shafts being too hard to play.  also if your iron flex is too soft will it challenge your contact consistency? i am thinking abou trying dg super lite x100 because i would also like to lighten my club weight.  any opinions, any help would be great.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 RSchaffer29

RSchaffer29

Los Angeles, CA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2807
  • Ebay ID:ryantechseller
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:27 PM

I am also wondering the same thing

#3 matt411

matt411

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 529

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

mwmilk, on Aug 16 2005, 08:13 PM, said:

i am currently playing s300 in my irons. (5 iron=38.5")  my ball flight is VERY high.  i feel enough so that i am losing distance. i am wondering how much stiffer are x100 shafts. when i was fit on true temper shaft lab i was into the x100 flex level, but i am afraid of these shafts being too hard to play.  also if your iron flex is too soft will it challenge your contact consistency? i am thinking abou trying dg super lite x100 because i would also like to lighten my club weight.  any opinions, any help would be great.

why don't you try softstepping the x-100's??? That might work perfect for you. matt

#4 mwmilk

mwmilk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:41 PM

keep it comin guys

#5 MrBig

MrBig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1044

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:49 PM

It might take some getting used to, the stiffer flex that is. If you were fitted for x100s than there is nothing better than playing the right equipment IMHO. Nothing beats confidence in your equipment, except maybe confidence in your swing. Personally I think they go hand in hand. If you still have trepidations about fitting your entire set with new shafts have one club re-shafted. Try it out and compare. Better yet find a club identical to your current set up with x100s and demo them next to each other. In my non professional opinion its not too out of control to jump to x100s, not much heavier and as lively for me as the s300. A little tighter on all aspects, dispersion and trajectory. Good luck, happy hunting...
G

#6 surferdave2000

surferdave2000

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2705
  • Ebay ID:surferdave2000

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

what kind of clubs do you play?
have you had the loft checked?
some blades such as Nike have weaker lofts
otherwise, I go soft-stepped x100's

#7 mwmilk

mwmilk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:20 AM

i play 690.cb, the newer version.  by the way i had s400 in an original set of 690cb and they were still extremely high.

#8 Golfdog

Golfdog

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2350
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:26 AM

First of all, don't be afraid of the X100s. I went to them a couple years ago and never looked back. I find them to be more accurate than S300s, and didn't see any difference in distance or trajectory when I switched.

Which brings me to my second point: changing shafts isn't going to solve your trajectory problem. Changing the lofts on your clubs will do the most to bring your trajectory down (not to mention that it will cost way less than reshafting) But the real cause or your problem is a swing issue (adding loft at impact, perhaps by flipping it at impact). I would suggest finding a good pro and having him take a look before sinking any $$$ into equipment.

#9 MrBig

MrBig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1044

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

I'm with Maui. I thought that I would get lower ball flight automatically, not the case. I still hit it high, a bit more penetrating if anything and tighter dispersion. My buddy made the switch fro s300s to x100s with the thought being he would bring his ball flight down. Didn't happen. He bent his lofts 1-2 degrees stronger and viola he still hits it high. More penetrating but with a good amount of height. At the end of the day I don't feel its the overall height of the apex rather how it gets to that height. Does it spin up and climb quickly only to drop steeply and fast? Ballooning. Or is it more of a flat yet high trajectory? Penetrating. Ideally you want the versatility of hitting the high soft shot with the ability to bring the trajectory down when the shot requires it. Good luck, happy hunting...

G

#10 mwmilk

mwmilk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:33 AM

i am a big guy, 6'1", 250lbs., ihave a very steep swing. i have come to the conclusion that at my size i will never be able to swing around my body and have a shallower swing.  it took alot of work to get my swing to come even slightly through the inside.  most importantly, i do not flip or cup at impact, i actually hold on too long and hit a very high fade.  it works for me well enough to get my handicap down to a 5.6.  so back to the main point,  is there a big difference between s300 and x100?
p.s. mr.big at impact the ball gets up quick,  from a physics point of view, i think the ball expends too much energy going up fighting gravity, maybe what i should  be looking at is launch angle, by decreasing the angle of ascent the ball would be using less stored energy  thus increasing distance. now when you factor in speed and aerodynamics......  just kidding guys thanks for your input!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 KeilwerthSX90R

KeilwerthSX90R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3242

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

I'm having a similar problem as well with the 690.cbs that I play. I don't mind the height but my shots have a  ballooning trajectory that I don't like that. I recently got a hold of a set of clubs (RAC combo tour) that has X-100 in them. I was surprised how much more I liked the X-100. The ballooning wasn't affected much but in general I think a move to X-100 is a great choice - I felt I had more control and the dispersion of my shots seems to agree with that feel.

As far a trajectory, if it's a huge problem lead tape is also a possibility. Expertly apply some lead tape to you irons to raise the COG.

#12 micjonga

micjonga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3424

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

I was hitting a set of Mizuno MP32s with S300s and found them to be higher than normal.  I then tried a set of RAC MB tour issues with soft step x100s and I found them to be perfect.  I have always used x shafts in my woods and hybrid but I guess you don't see many sets of irons in x100 shafts.  I usually would buy off the rac.  I've changed that mindset and recently purchase a beautiful set of tour issue RAC CBs in a Satin finish that have x100s Soft stepped.  I LOVE them.  I did have the lofts changed to where my MP32s was and I found NO loss of distance and I have a very boring trajectory which I like.   Additionally an upright swing will produce a higher ball flight. The x100 is a great shaft and not nearly as stiff as you might think.

#13 captaincheat

captaincheat

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3260
  • Ebay ID:captaincheat

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

I agree. I did the same thing and you will have no trouble. The flight is slightly lower. they don't 'upshoot like the 300's did.

Maui19, on Aug 19 2005, 05:26 AM, said:

First of all, don't be afraid of the X100s. I went to them a couple years ago and never looked back. I find them to be more accurate than S300s, and didn't see any difference in distance or trajectory when I switched.

Which brings me to my second point: changing shafts isn't going to solve your trajectory problem. Changing the lofts on your clubs will do the most to bring your trajectory down (not to mention that it will cost way less than reshafting) But the real cause or your problem is a swing issue (adding loft at impact, perhaps by flipping it at impact). I would suggest finding a good pro and having him take a look before sinking any $$$ into equipment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors