Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway RAZR X Forged review

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gmachine

Gmachine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130104
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

i recently purchased a set of callaway razr x forged irons and i wanted to share some of my thoughts and observations on these irons.

first, let me tell you i typically go through a handful of iron sets per season.  yes, my local golf galaxy employees know me by name and know i constantly buy new equipment.  i just love trying new clubs and buying the latest and greatest (i need to get an intervention, i know).

in the past 2 years, i've owned and played these irons:

taylormade RAC MB
taylormade tour preferred
taylormade burner 1.0
taylormade burner 2.0
titleist AP2
ping i-15
mizuno JPX 800 pro
callaway diablo forged
callaway razr x tour

not to mention demoed every other iron out there.  again, intervention.

i typically liked the thinner topline, player-type irons, but the burners got me fixated on the easy distance clubs.  and then i got into the forged-zone.  RAC MBs were just too much of a blade and i started seeing my greens in regulation go down, so i swapped those out.  the titleist AP2's were a great forged feel and the mizuno JPX pros were the best of forged and easy distance.  

i'm an avid golfer (played 48 rounds last season) and currently an 8 handicap.  i average 250 yards off the tee and my 7-iron goes 150 yards.  so not a big hitter type.

i just bought the new razr x forged and at first i never thought about these clubs because i thought they were too blade-like (and would suffer the same experience as the RAC MBs).  my swing speed on a 6 iron is around the 88 mph mark so i wasn't sure if i could generate the speed needed for thin clubs like these.

but i was wrong.  these razr x forged clubs are truly amazing.  i was reading about the japanese endo forging on these and they truly feel great.  maybe a hint better than the mizuno JPX 800 pro forged and definitely better than the AP2s.  what i was thrilled to learn was how forgiving these clubs are.  not that they are game-improvement forgiving, but forgiving enough that toe-hits will still get you there (or close to there) better than other player clubs i've tried.  also, i was worried about losing distance, but i'm hitting these just as far as the razr x tours and just as far as the mizuno JPX 800 pros.

i have no problem hitting any club from 6-PW, it's just some clubs i have trouble with the 4 and 5 iron (like the mizuno mp 53s for example).  however, the 4 iron on the razr x forged turned out to be such an easy club to hit.  probably one of the better 4 irons i've ever used.

and the thinness of the sole and compact heads really look great at address and in the bag.  a serious sense of pride to play these clubs.  

these come standard with project X shafts and i read about people that love these shafts and i've read about people that hate these shafts.  i guess it all depends on swing speed and how you swing (digger vs non-digger).  i'm a non-digger so i went with a lighter shaft to help increase my swing speed and went with the Nippon 990s.  i had these shafts in my diablo forged irons and loved them.  definitely know these shafts help me launch the ball and get the distance i'm getting in my 4 and 5 irons.

anyway, just wanted those out there that have similar taste to not  overlook these clubs.  they are player irons yet have a great amount of  forgiveness and great distance that many blade and player irons simply  don't offer.  and the forged feel is just tremendous.  try them.  these will definitely stay in my bag for a long while.

photo.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

Agree terrific irons. I have the KBS Tours in mine and while I am not in love with the thick topline the performance has been so good there was no need to take them out of the bag. Enjoy hopefully these will stay in your bag for some time to come.
9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#3 tucker500

tucker500

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113879
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

How would you compare the forgiveness to the I15 and the 800 pro?  I know there isn't GI type forgiveness in any of these, but those 2 I have a little more experience with.  I've had the AP2's also but found them to hit VERY high and the feel just wasn't great.  Almost felt like the ball slid around on the face of the AP's and I never felt like they were very accurate.  All in my head, as are many many other bad things when I play.

I haven't tried these Cally's but I went looking for a set of the X tour to try yesterday.  Oddly enough neither course I went to carried a demo iron!

#4 Gmachine

Gmachine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

i never found the i-15's to have a good sense of feel or forgiveness.  the JPX pros are definitely more forgiving than the razr x forged, but the JPX pros also have a taller face and wider from heel to toe.  almost looks oversize compared to callaways.  

so, to answer your question, i would put the razr x forged in the middle of those two clubs in regards to forgiveness.

View Posttucker500, on 13 August 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

How would you compare the forgiveness to the I15 and the 800 pro?  I know there isn't GI type forgiveness in any of these, but those 2 I have a little more experience with.  I've had the AP2's also but found them to hit VERY high and the feel just wasn't great.  Almost felt like the ball slid around on the face of the AP's and I never felt like they were very accurate.  All in my head, as are many many other bad things when I play.

I haven't tried these Cally's but I went looking for a set of the X tour to try yesterday.  Oddly enough neither course I went to carried a demo iron!

#5 tucker500

tucker500

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113879

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

i haven't found the I15 to be all that great either.  They do alot of things well, but nothing really stands out for me.  Feel is pretty muted for sure but they do feel soft for a cast club.  I think they would need a perfect shaft to really come alive, because I've seen a big difference in various shafts.  I really want to like the 800 Pro but they just seem average for me as well.  I have to admit that the Adams CB2 I tried was  more impressive than either of these.  I'm not crazy about the light weight KBS shaft though, so I'd love to try it with something different.

I'm going to hunt down some Razr Tours and Forged for a test run.

#6 jj3putt

jj3putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1298
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:jj4280

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

Can't get over the weird cavity....like the skull though.

#7 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

They are great irons. I love mine, but the kbs experiment is over.
Titleist 915D3 9.5 Rogue
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana S+
Titleist 915HD 20.5 Diamana D+
Nike Vapor Pro 4-P/ Pro Combo 4-A
Titliest Vokey SM5 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron My Girl 2014

#8 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1657

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'm late to this party, but thanks for the review. I was fortunate enough to be given a set by GolfWRX and Callaway to test, and these are very impressive irons indeed. I will say that after months of ownership, I'm not a fan of the look of the cavity, but you don't see it when you're hitting the ball and these irons just perform great for me, especially the long irons. The KBS Tours didn't quite work for me, even though I like the feel of those shafts, so I had mine reshafted to Dynamic Golds. It seems that most who have tried the Razr Forged have liked them.

Here's my review thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.golfwrx.c...ssions-reviews/

*end of shameless self promotion*
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*, GD DI-7x
TEE CB5 15*, Fujikura Rombax P95
TEE CB Pro-h 21*
Callaway X-Prototypes, DG
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#9 tbowles411

tbowles411

Belen Mozo - A Killer "B"...She sure is!

• 19,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 2155

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

View PostPuppetmaster, on 30 August 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

I'm late to this party, but thanks for the review. I was fortunate enough to be given a set by GolfWRX and Callaway to test, and these are very impressive irons indeed. I will say that after months of ownership, I'm not a fan of the look of the cavity, but you don't see it when you're hitting the ball and these irons just perform great for me, especially the long irons. The KBS Tours didn't quite work for me, even though I like the feel of those shafts, so I had mine reshafted to Dynamic Golds. It seems that most who have tried the Razr Forged have liked them.

LOL!  You ain't right!

#10 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• 7,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1657

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 30 August 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

View PostPuppetmaster, on 30 August 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

LOL!  You ain't right!

Hey, I honestly did like this review! Was just trying to add some extra insight for anyone interested, since I did an update to my own review this morning.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*, GD DI-7x
TEE CB5 15*, Fujikura Rombax P95
TEE CB Pro-h 21*
Callaway X-Prototypes, DG
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 l3maggio

l3maggio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97992
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

I play the MP-52s, any of you guys know how the Razr x forged compare to those in terms of forgiveness & distance

#12 gaffs

gaffs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129507
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:06 AM

I have picked up a set of these with s300 shafts from ebay.

Any more thoughts on the Razr X Forged? Im currently playing the AP2.

#13 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

More thoughts about these irons is i wish mine would hurry up and turn up. I tried the AP2 and thought they were really poor feeling and the feedback was terrible compared to the 09x forged. just my thoughts and what feels good to me may feel like rubbish to others.  The new rxf by all accounts feels just as good if not better then the 09 x forged.
Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

#14 gaffs

gaffs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

My Razr X Forged arrived yesterday. I bought them for about half of the retail price from ebay. Clubs have hardly any wear.

I got them with s300 shafts - 3 to PW. I was lucky enough to find a set with the shaft I wanted with the right length and lie.

Took them out for a range session and for a practice round yesterday.

Early days, but I couldn't be happier with them. I love the penetrating ball flight that I get from them - a far stronger flight than my old AP2s. I also think they are pretty forgiving - you can tell when you haven't hit it off the sweet spot, but distance is still good. They are also really soft feeling - even with range balls, yet they feel really solid.

I was a little worried about the topline being thicker and squarer than other clubs i was looking at - like the Titleist CB or Mizuno MP68s - but when you are playing them you really dont notice.

I also think they may spin more as i was hitting wedges, 8s and 9s that were checking up much quicker than my ap2s, despite the lower flight.

#15 MikeG

MikeG

That's no ordinary rabbit.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11754
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

View Postgaffs, on 08 December 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

I also think they may spin more as i was hitting wedges, 8s and 9s that were checking up much quicker than my ap2s, despite the lower flight.

I've read other posts about the increased spin in the RXF short irons. Have you lost distance or seen any ballooning in the wind with them?

#16 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

View PostMikeG, on 08 December 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

I've read other posts about the increased spin in the RXF short irons. Have you lost distance or seen any ballooning in the wind with them?

I have seen no issues in the wind with my rxf and kbs tour combo, Infact it may be one of the most stable ballflights in the wind I have ever had.
9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#17 MikeG

MikeG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 08 December 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

View PostMikeG, on 08 December 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

I have seen no issues in the wind with my rxf and kbs tour combo, Infact it may be one of the most stable ballflights in the wind I have ever had.
Thanks. Sometimes increased spin = ballooning. BTW reading your review/thread last night is what got me interested in these...

#18 gaffs

gaffs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Tahoma">I don't feel that I have lost distance (though i will probably pick that up over the next few weeks with more&nbsp;on course&nbsp;play)  and they certainly are not ballooning. My AP2s often did - i also had them with the s300).<br style="font: normal normal normal 12px/normal arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; "><br style="font: normal normal normal 12px/normal arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; ">There was a strong cross wind when I was at the range on Wednesday and the ball kept its line really well.</font>

Edited by gaffs, 09 December 2011 - 05:38 AM.

#19 gaffs

gaffs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:42 AM

Do the Razr X Forged get bashed up quickly?

I carry my clubs so am a little worried that they will get some nasty dints and scratches from club chatter.

#20 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

View Postgaffs, on 09 December 2011 - 05:42 AM, said:

I carry my clubs so am a little worried that they will get some nasty dints and scratches from club chatter.

They don't have to be pretty ro play good.

Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 davevandyk

davevandyk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1099
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

I really like the look of these sticks, can anybody compare to the R9TP's?

#22 gaffs

gaffs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

View PostJB lefty, on 09 December 2011 - 07:41 AM, said:

They don't have to be pretty ro play good.

I have met a few women that you could say the same about!!!

#23 Gmachine

Gmachine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postdavevandyk, on 09 December 2011 - 08:21 AM, said:

I really like the look of these sticks, can anybody compare to the R9TP's?

i demoed the R9TPs back in the day when i was thinking about buying them.  i can tell you they are worlds apart.  the R9TPs have a muted feel.  these razr x forged have a soft and tender feel.  not even close, razr x forged is the way to go--hands down.

#24 tugv23

tugv23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150209
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

had my set of razr x forged for a few months got fitted best irons that i have played personally

#25 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

Carrying clubs is always going to be easier on them than riding in a cart.  Any forged clubs are going to get chatter but people who use riding carts will see much more than someone that walks.  Just snake  a towel through them and you'll be fine.

#26 Simp

Simp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8393
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

^^^100%^^^ Forged clubs love being carried. Carts absolutely kill them with the whipping motion though.

#27 MikeG

MikeG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Hit the 6 iron demo along with the Razr Forged MB at the local GG today. These are great feeling clubs. Even with shafts that normally give me fits (PX 5.5 and 6.0 respectively) I hit both Razrs better than the Mizuno MP-59 and 63s that I also demoed. Still can't get over how good they felt.

#28 gaffs

gaffs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

A month later, im still in love the the Razr X Forged.

They feel so solid, yet really soft of the face. The feedback is so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors