Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

G20 Irons: A Noob's Review


37 replies to this topic

#1 Nicco79

Nicco79

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125707
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

To start off with, a bit of insight into how bad I am:  I am a 23 handicap, and have only recently started breaking into the 90's.  I told myself I'd get a set of clubs fitted as soon as I started hitting the 90's, so I started looking for sets mid-July.  I found the G20's to be beautiful clubs, and right in my range of skill and price.

I was fitted by Steve Russell @ Leonard Golf Links, the same range that Nike uses for their R&D program (their shops are behind the range), and pretty much the best range in Fort Worth, TX.  Steve was great, and while he couldn't fit me with the official G20 kit, he used G15 gear.

The static fitting said I was a green, and we ended up at white, + 1/2" in length, and standard white grips on the stiff shafts.  I ordered the 4 through PW as well as the U, and  I had the U moved to 49* from 50* to better suit the other wedges in my bag (53 and 58's from Scratch).

I was hitting the G15 fitment club in this configuration beautifully - truly I'd have bought a set of G15's, I was that excited to finally hit consistently down the line with a great ball flight.  Errors in my swing aside, the club performed beautifully and felt amazingly better than the TM Supersteel's that I'd gotten passed down to me from a golf buddy.  Flat out, I was sold on Ping right there.  And that's even after I was sold on them based on their company history and goals.

I paid my money, and was told they'd be here by the 11th.

Fast forward to today, and I get a call that they're in, so I head down, and we unbox them and I take a bucket out to the range.


Here's what I found:

Oh my baby jesus what have I done.  These things are smooooooooooooth, both on mishits - which with my swing comes along pretty often - and on perfect swings.  I hit every club from the U through 4, and on getting used to them (and the swing, and the grip changes that I've been practicing indoors), I was putting balls down the middle, with a few errant slices here or there (again, mishits).

Enough with the wetworks, let's get to the specifics:

Feel:

Soft like butter, smooth like a babies behind.  MIs-hits are noticed, but not shocking.  Hitting it fat doesn't hurt my wrists - in fact, it's similar hitting out of a well-kept sand trap.  And this is on dry - but well kept - grass with Texas soil under it.  I won't be looking to play these deep into the ground at the muni's, but I won't be concerned about trying to get the perfect divot now either.  I could go for some of the Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips, though, as I had gotten used to those on my set of SuperSteels.

Looks:

It's a game improvement, so it's going to be thick on top when at address.  Get over it.  The club itself is great looking, especially compared to the G15's.  The muted finish is superb and really helps with the glare - especially in direct sun like it was this afternoon when I was at the range.  One thing I can definitely appreciate is the club number on the face - it's the little things in life, I find, that make the biggest differences, but I tend to verify the club I'm hitting when on the course, and this saves me from looking like an idiot on course.

Oh and of course the back of the heads are awesome.  Photos can tell you that, though, and in person they're just as impressive.

Performance:

They were apparently going for high ball flight.  They did it, and then some.  When I hit them correctly, they performed flawlessly.  Even when I screwed up, it was generally from hitting it thin, which still resulted in straight but obviously low ball flight.  Wasn't gauging distance, but I noticed my 7i going a bit further than usual, but I didn't bring my SuperSteels with me to compare.  I may amend this later to include a side by side, but I seriously doubt anyone else on the site plays SuperSteels.



Worth It Factor:

You'd better believe that they're worth every penny of the $760 I spent ($699 + tax), especially since Leonards does the fitting for free when you buy from them.  They're beautiful, they perform, and they're great for someone like me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 wn1998

wn1998

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80935
  • Joined: 04/22/2009
  • Location:Illinois
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

great review! Good luck with your Game!

#3 Interpol

Interpol

    POWWWWWW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34463
  • Joined: 07/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the review.  I've got a 4-PW set of G20s arriving next week and I can't wait.  May I ask what you were gaming before the G20s, and how would you compare them?

#4 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 748

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Great review!  Thanks for sharing.:partytime2:

#5 256ctf

256ctf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123278
  • Joined: 03/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Posted ImageNS TO KNOW


#6 zukszoo

zukszoo

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29198
  • Joined: 05/19/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Nice review sir. Good luck with your game and with the new irons. I think I enjoy reading reviews of people in your handicap range the best. Seeing how a good fitting can help anyone is awesome. Keep up the good work.

#7 Nicco79

Nicco79

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125707
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

View PostInterpol, on 12 August 2011 - 06:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the review.  I've got a 4-PW set of G20s arriving next week and I can't wait.  May I ask what you were gaming before the G20s, and how would you compare them?

I was playing a set of TaylorMade Burner Supersteels - a hand me down from a buddy which he bought in 1999.  As for how I would compare them...the SuperSteels aren't bad (especially given that they were outside of my needed * of lie), they just aren't as advanced as recent clubs.  Plus, they were rather heavy, so it was tough to generate the swing speed that I was able to on newer clubs.  They also were very hard when hit - and by that I mean they weren't really crisp or soft, but literally hard, no matter what ball I was hitting, be it a range ball, Titleist NXT Tour, a Pro V1, etc.

About the closest I can compare them to are a set of MX-300's that I tried for a bit - they are a bit softer off the face when compared to the 300's, meaning that the 300's feel much more 'crisp' on a good hit.  Only reason I didn't stick with them is that I wanted them fitted to my swing, else they were actually quite nice.

I tried the JPX800's, and they were decent, but a bit tougher for me to handle, either from not being fitted or my own bad swing (more than likely my bad swing).  These days I assume it's the swing, but after hitting these G20's, I'm not so sure anymore.

Edited by Nicco79, 12 August 2011 - 10:45 PM.


#8 dieselG

dieselG

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40735
  • Joined: 10/12/2007
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

I had a set of G10s, good heads but the AWT shafts killed them. Probably the most exciting thing about the G20's for me is the rebirth of the Z-Z65 shaft now in 3 flexes. Some G20s with X flex might be the ticket.

#9 PT1911

PT1911

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11655
  • Joined: 02/10/2006
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

I agree with ya. I had a set of G15's with X flex AWT's and now a set of G20's with stiff CFS shafts and to ME they seem close on stiffness, that is just my feel though.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell + Fairway
Cobra Bio Cell Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Gorge Tour 54* & 58*
Odyssey Tour Black #9

#10 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 748

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

View Postdieselglen, on 13 August 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

I had a set of G10s, good heads but the AWT shafts killed them.

Another shaft snob.:ok:

I like the AWT's.  CS Lite was okay by me too.  Mark Wilson won two PGA events this year with CS Lite shafts in his i10's.  It cracks me up when so many GWRX folks bash them.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 dieselG

dieselG

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40735
  • Joined: 10/12/2007
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

I'm not bashing them, they just didn't work for me. I like the stiffer tip profile of the z-z65. AWT launched way too high for me and didn't have the right tip profile for my release.  I am currently playing TT-Lite iron shafts ($8 per shaft) so I think you might be a little off base labeling me as a "shaft snob".

#12 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 748

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

View Postdieselglen, on 13 August 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

I'm not bashing them, they just didn't work for me. I like the stiffer tip profile of the z-z65. AWT launched way too high for me and didn't have the right tip profile for my release.  I am currently playing TT-Lite iron shafts ($8 per shaft) so I think you might be a little off base labeling me as a "shaft snob".

Sorry man, I took your comment to be a condemnation of the AWT shafts in a general sense. :friends:

Glad you found something that works for you.

#13 Norboo

Norboo

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34535
  • Joined: 07/13/2007
  • Location:Northern VA
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostNessism, on 13 August 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postdieselglen, on 13 August 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

I had a set of G10s, good heads but the AWT shafts killed them.

Another shaft snob.:ok:

I like the AWT's.  CS Lite was okay by me too.  Mark Wilson won two PGA events this year with CS Lite shafts in his i10's.  It cracks me up when so many GWRX folks bash them.


If someone doesnítí like what you like, they are snobs?  To each to his/her own, that is the reason why we have so many different shafts on the market.

#14 Meanmachinemoe

Meanmachinemoe

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15279
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:mohler1
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

Congratulations on your new irons. I have been playing golf for 30 years and I consider myself a pretty good player (10hc) but iron play has always held me back. I am experiencing the same love affair with my G15s. I can only imagine the 20s are even better. Have fun watching your scores go down.
Cobra Bio Cell Black 9.5D Project X 6.0
Ping G25 17* TFC 189H
Ping G25 20* TFC 189H
Ping G15 4-W,UW,SW CFS w/Cushin
Titleist Vokey Design SM5 60.11K
Ping Nome TR

#15 pingman1

pingman1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
  • Joined: 09/25/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Excellent review.  Good luck with your new irons, and you will never regret purchasing PING irons.  You make me want to upgrade to G20's from my beloved G15's.


#16 timbo08

timbo08

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105122
  • Joined: 03/21/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Great review!  Very tempting to pick up a set of these!  Currently playing a little less than I used to and feel like I would enjoy myself more if I ditched my X-Forgeds (09's) for something significantly more forgiving.

#17 AC in TX

AC in TX

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94799
  • Joined: 09/19/2009
  • Location:Austin, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

Many thanks for the review. As a NOOB who has gone through 7 iron sets in three years and finally broke 100 twice this year with a set of used G10s (AWT Regular), I have been waiting for the G20's to buy new. I did get to hit them a bit at Golfsmith this past week, and loved the feel of Regular CFS G20 7 iron and 4 iron vs my own Regular AWT G10 7 iron and 4 iron (oh, and the G20 hybrids felt nice too).

I will wait for Ping to renew the Military Appreciation rebate program after 8/15/11 (verified by Ping via e-mail yesterday) before ordering G20's 5-UW (thinking CFS Soft R from Discount Dan's) -- then it's off to get a series of lessons to take the next step.

Good luck with the new sticks!
Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Ping G25 5 - UW
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54/58
SeeMore PCB 34"

#18 stuart374

stuart374

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63603
  • Joined: 08/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

I can't wait to try them. Thanks!

#19 lee707

lee707

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44706
  • Joined: 12/29/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Great Review!!!!  Did Ping indicate when renewal of the Military Appreciation rebate program would begin after current 8/15/11 deadline?

#20 AC in TX

AC in TX

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94799
  • Joined: 09/19/2009
  • Location:Austin, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

No. Only that it would be renewed, would include the G20 line, and that Ping was mailing rebate forms to their accounts. I'm checking their web site daily to see when the program starts again.

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Ping G25 5 - UW
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54/58
SeeMore PCB 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 rob8

rob8

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132414
  • Joined: 07/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

I hit the g20 irons this past friday.  I currently play g15 stiff awt shafts.  My main goal was to find out if I was playing the right shafts and to hit the new cfs ping shafts.  I guess there supposed to play closer to the ping zz65 shafts.  Was on trackman and the fitter had me hit my g15s and then g20s stiff and xstiff.  7 iron swing speed was 92-94 and was told by the fitter I should be in xstiff iron shafts.  I normally hit a draw with my irons and xstiff g20 made it more playable.  I loved the g15s but g20 just seemed a little more accurate for me.  Most of which was likely due to swinging the correct shaft.   Placed my order for 5-lw with discount dans on friday.  Now i play the wait game looking out the window for the delivery guy.

#22 ericm007

ericm007

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36361
  • Joined: 08/03/2007
  • Location:Midlands of SC
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:dgolfer007
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Nice, hopefully these will get you down into the 80s. I love my S56s so far and can't wait to see what Ping comes up with next.

#23 jj3putt

jj3putt

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1298
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:Mississippi
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:jj4280
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Nice review. I'm loving my G15's and was surprised at how much more I liked the looks of the G20. The cavity is just much nicer to me. I'm not sure I don't like the darker finish on the G15's better though.

#24 svs

svs

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119235
  • Joined: 12/22/2010
  • Location:Central California
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

Nicco, have you had any more time with the G20's ?

Can you give us an update, I'm on the fence with these.

Thanks!

#25 cxissi

cxissi

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Joined: 08/03/2005
  • Location:western Canada
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

I bought a set as soon as they came out last week, based on hitting my friends g15 irons. I love the look of the g20's but didn't care for the way they played .  I beleive the problem was with the shaft
my friends irons had graphite and the 20's  had the cfs steel shafts. The graphite seemed to fit my game better.  Anyway if your looking for a set of left hand g20's they are now on ebay.
gb

PING G30 9.5 sft tec
Callaway X Hot 3 wood
Cobra Baffler 3 & 4 Hybrids
Taylormade Speedblade 5-AW,SW
TM Rac TP LW
TM 770 38" Putter

#26 whitetiger21

whitetiger21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27262
  • Joined: 03/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Glad to here you like your irons. I'm a scratch golfer who just ordered a set of g20 irons. I went with kbs c-tapers x. Hope I like mine as much as you like yours.

#27 OptomMN

OptomMN

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9906
  • Joined: 01/15/2006
  • Location:Twin Cities, MN
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

I received my G20s last Friday from Discount Dan's.  My last set of Pings were i3OS and since then I've played MX-23s and FT irons.  I went with their stock graphite shaft (played graphite in the last two sets).  

I only have 2 rounds on them but do like them very much already.  They have a very distinct feel coming off of my previous irons.  They are extraordinarily forgiving.  The swing weight is a bit different from my last set and I'm adjusting around the greens but I'm very happy with my decision to go back to Ping!  I'm sorry to repeat myself but I have to say one last time that Discount Dan's is fantastic!!!!

#28 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
  • Joined: 10/09/2005
  • Location:SoCal
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

I'll add my 2 cents, or $699.00 +tax:

First round with my G20's today, 4-UW stiff CFS shafts black dot. Coming from my trusty Eye2+'s w/ ZZLite but D2 swingweight. I had hit 2 small buckets at the range previous to my round today with the new irons. Irons are very solid, very forgiving, and I hit them slightly lower than my Eye2+'s on a flatter trajectory. Definitely more solid feeling than the G15's but not by much. If I had G15's, I don't think I'd spring for the G20's. My brother has G15's w/ KBS so I know what those feel like.

I had to get used to the slightly lighter feeling head vs. my Eye2+'s and I hit some squirrely iron shots for sure, but overall, I like them very much. Great "upgrade" from Ping. I don't know if they'll sell very well because honestly, the G line improvements are very minimal and most people who have previous G line irons probably won't be impressed. They are just a bit better in every regard to my Eye2's. More solid, better feeling, more forgiving, and love the cleaner lines at address. I do have 2 concerns with playing these clubs.

First, the feedback is good but not as good as the Eye2's. This is a minor point though, and one that's not really an issue. But I just thought I'd mention it because the G20's are really solid, even when slightly missed and the Eye2's will let you know in a harsher way that you were just a little off. That can be a good thing but it can also be hard on your psyche and arms, esp. for older folks....like me..lol.

2ndly, the touchy-feely shots, the partial shots are alot harder to hit vs. the Eye2's.  JMHO, but the entire G line of Ping irons are best played when swingin' out full. Not out-of -control full but hard. The 60% swings are tougher, at least for me, because of the sole. That wide sole don't blast thru the turf like it does on full shots. The Eye2+ sole can be opened up and cut-shots and softer shots are alot easier to hit. I wonder if the sole of the G-line could be slightly tri-beveled like the Titty DCI line or double-beveled like the Eye2+. Just wondering...anyway, these are both minor issues and ones that would I'm sure go away if I kept them in the bag for a year, or longer than 3 weeks, which is tough, because I'm an iron ho and ho'in irons is what I love.  I'm going to add lead tape to the back of the G20s and get the sw up to D2 and see if that helps with the overall feel and balance of the club when I swing.  

Shot an 81 with 4 doubles. Uhhgggg......got screwed on a couple of holes with impossible lies and 2 other holes I just plain f'd up. Next round I'm going to put both the G20s and Eye2+'s in the bag and see what happens. Hit 2 balls with each club and get some more feedback. So far I like them alot, but I don't know if I like them $699 + tax alot, know what I mean? I could use that $$ for a whole lot of other stuff... Posted Image

Sorry for the ramblin' and scatter-brain post. Just came back and threw this post up as fast as I could.

#29 svs

svs

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119235
  • Joined: 12/22/2010
  • Location:Central California
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:56 PM

View Postsharkiesj, on 15 August 2011 - 11:11 PM, said:

I'll add my 2 cents, or $699.00 +tax:

First round with my G20's today, 4-UW stiff CFS shafts black dot. Coming from my trusty Eye2+'s w/ ZZLite but D2 swingweight. I had hit 2 small buckets at the range previous to my round today with the new irons. Irons are very solid, very forgiving, and I hit them slightly lower than my Eye2+'s on a flatter trajectory. Definitely more solid feeling than the G15's but not by much. If I had G15's, I don't think I'd spring for the G20's. My brother has G15's w/ KBS so I know what those feel like.

I had to get used to the slightly lighter feeling head vs. my Eye2+'s and I hit some squirrely iron shots for sure, but overall, I like them very much. Great "upgrade" from Ping. I don't know if they'll sell very well because honestly, the G line improvements are very minimal and most people who have previous G line irons probably won't be impressed. They are just a bit better in every regard to my Eye2's. More solid, better feeling, more forgiving, and love the cleaner lines at address. I do have 2 concerns with playing these clubs.

First, the feedback is good but not as good as the Eye2's. This is a minor point though, and one that's not really an issue. But I just thought I'd mention it because the G20's are really solid, even when slightly missed and the Eye2's will let you know in a harsher way that you were just a little off. That can be a good thing but it can also be hard on your psyche and arms, esp. for older folks....like me..lol.

2ndly, the touchy-feely shots, the partial shots are alot harder to hit vs. the Eye2's.  JMHO, but the entire G line of Ping irons are best played when swingin' out full. Not out-of -control full but hard. The 60% swings are tougher, at least for me, because of the sole. That wide sole don't blast thru the turf like it does on full shots. The Eye2+ sole can be opened up and cut-shots and softer shots are alot easier to hit. I wonder if the sole of the G-line could be slightly tri-beveled like the Titty DCI line or double-beveled like the Eye2+. Just wondering...anyway, these are both minor issues and ones that would I'm sure go away if I kept them in the bag for a year, or longer than 3 weeks, which is tough, because I'm an iron ho and ho'in irons is what I love.  I'm going to add lead tape to the back of the G20s and get the sw up to D2 and see if that helps with the overall feel and balance of the club when I swing.  

Shot an 81 with 4 doubles. Uhhgggg......got screwed on a couple of holes with impossible lies and 2 other holes I just plain f'd up. Next round I'm going to put both the G20s and Eye2+'s in the bag and see what happens. Hit 2 balls with each club and get some more feedback. So far I like them alot, but I don't know if I like them $699 + tax alot, know what I mean? I could use that $$ for a whole lot of other stuff... Posted Image

Sorry for the ramblin' and scatter-brain post. Just came back and threw this post up as fast as I could.


Thanks for sharing your experience so far. By the sounds of it, it looks like with some more playing time the G20's will really start to shine for you.  I just placed an order for 5-UW Black Dot with Discount Dan's, and am pretty pumped to put these bad boys in play!
(Just an FYI, you should really consider Discount Dan's on your next golf order. They have some of the best if not the best pricing anywhere around.)

Keep us posted on the outcome of your G20 & Eye2 experiment, sounds like it could be very interesting?

Enjoy your new sticks!

Edited by svs, 15 August 2011 - 11:58 PM.


#30 collingsom1a

collingsom1a

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13616
  • Joined: 03/22/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:c10sbg
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

View Postsvs, on 15 August 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

View Postsharkiesj, on 15 August 2011 - 11:11 PM, said:

I'll add my 2 cents, or $699.00 +tax:

First round with my G20's today, 4-UW stiff CFS shafts black dot. Coming from my trusty Eye2+'s w/ ZZLite but D2 swingweight. I had hit 2 small buckets at the range previous to my round today with the new irons. Irons are very solid, very forgiving, and I hit them slightly lower than my Eye2+'s on a flatter trajectory. Definitely more solid feeling than the G15's but not by much. If I had G15's, I don't think I'd spring for the G20's. My brother has G15's w/ KBS so I know what those feel like.

I had to get used to the slightly lighter feeling head vs. my Eye2+'s and I hit some squirrely iron shots for sure, but overall, I like them very much. Great "upgrade" from Ping. I don't know if they'll sell very well because honestly, the G line improvements are very minimal and most people who have previous G line irons probably won't be impressed. They are just a bit better in every regard to my Eye2's. More solid, better feeling, more forgiving, and love the cleaner lines at address. I do have 2 concerns with playing these clubs.

First, the feedback is good but not as good as the Eye2's. This is a minor point though, and one that's not really an issue. But I just thought I'd mention it because the G20's are really solid, even when slightly missed and the Eye2's will let you know in a harsher way that you were just a little off. That can be a good thing but it can also be hard on your psyche and arms, esp. for older folks....like me..lol.

2ndly, the touchy-feely shots, the partial shots are alot harder to hit vs. the Eye2's.  JMHO, but the entire G line of Ping irons are best played when swingin' out full. Not out-of -control full but hard. The 60% swings are tougher, at least for me, because of the sole. That wide sole don't blast thru the turf like it does on full shots. The Eye2+ sole can be opened up and cut-shots and softer shots are alot easier to hit. I wonder if the sole of the G-line could be slightly tri-beveled like the Titty DCI line or double-beveled like the Eye2+. Just wondering...anyway, these are both minor issues and ones that would I'm sure go away if I kept them in the bag for a year, or longer than 3 weeks, which is tough, because I'm an iron ho and ho'in irons is what I love.  I'm going to add lead tape to the back of the G20s and get the sw up to D2 and see if that helps with the overall feel and balance of the club when I swing.  

Shot an 81 with 4 doubles. Uhhgggg......got screwed on a couple of holes with impossible lies and 2 other holes I just plain f'd up. Next round I'm going to put both the G20s and Eye2+'s in the bag and see what happens. Hit 2 balls with each club and get some more feedback. So far I like them alot, but I don't know if I like them $699 + tax alot, know what I mean? I could use that $$ for a whole lot of other stuff... Posted Image

Sorry for the ramblin' and scatter-brain post. Just came back and threw this post up as fast as I could.


Thanks for sharing your experience so far. By the sounds of it, it looks like with some more playing time the G20's will really start to shine for you.  I just placed an order for 5-UW Black Dot with Discount Dan's, and am pretty pumped to put these bad boys in play!
(Just an FYI, you should really consider Discount Dan's on your next golf order. They have some of the best if not the best pricing anywhere around.)

Keep us posted on the outcome of your G20 & Eye2 experiment, sounds like it could be very interesting?

Enjoy your new sticks!
I must admit to being a club Ho.  In fact, I'd run out every 2 years and get the latest set of Ping irons when they came out.  I didn't really need to change from the 5's to 10's amd then 10's to G15's....but being the club Ho that I am, I did. I eventually ended up with Rapture V2's.....now, that was a real step forward, as I thought the V2's were for "hack's". (I'm a 5 handicapp).  But, I changed to the V2's and never have looked back.  The feel of the titanium face and the tungsten insert are intoxicating, they feel SO good.

With this jaded history in mind, I went out to a Ping demo day last Friday (V2's in hand for comparison).  Without getting into specifics, I didn't buy a set of G20's (that's a first - I thought I would).  My reasoning for not making the change is becasue the G20 (grpahite shafts) lacked the solid, butter - like feel of the Rapture V2's.  The G20's felt like shattered glass when I hit balls with them.  A real hard, harsh feel compared to the V2's.  I was expecting the G20's to have allot of the V2 ball flight characteristics, and I was right about that - they do indeed hit the ball higher than the G15's - more carry, more distance - but the lack of feel was a deal killer to me.  I also hit the G20 Hybrid, and like its G15 brother, it is a hook machine - can't stand that look, never have - never will.  The fairway woods seem to have a nice "rainbow-like" trajectory and are very solid, as is the driver.  The heads have a lower spin rate over the G15's as proven by the Ping Trackman.  Distance over the G15 driver was about + 3 to 5 yds, not more.  Again, the Ratpure V2 driver and fairway woods continue to be longer than the G15's and G20's.  I've always hit my V2 driver about 10-20 yds longer than the G15.  Not much change with the G20.  I do like the looks of the G20 - sits very sqaure, very handsome.

I'm not making a change in clubs and won't replace my V2's with the G20.  Preformance and feel win out with the V2's.

I did like the fact that the Rustique wedges now come in a wider range of lofts and they also added the "TS" in the Rustique.  I did buy a set of 3 of these.  They are awesome wedges - like them better than the Answers, mainly becasue for some reason I like the fact that they rust......plus, the Rustiques feel really good and spin the ball like crazy!!!!!!!!!

Ping ddidn't hit a home run with the G20's, but they did improve on the looks of the irons and fairway woods, driver.

Edited by collingsom1a, 16 August 2011 - 09:15 AM.

Hey man, I'm the dude

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors