Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shoulder turn in the downswing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geo0113

geo0113

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29202
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

So I've been playing really well so far this year. Had my first round in the 60's in years and i've consistently been shooting below 75. But when i have a bad day....it's a really bad day. my swing will feel so out of sorts i lose all confidence in where the ball will go and i try to guide it and then things get worse. what is happening is that my shoulders begin to turn perpendicular to the ground during the downswing, which is causing an awful over the top move. When i get in a funk i can't seem to get away from this move. Happened last four holes in last round and last night at the range. Any specific thoughts i can focus on to get my right shoulder swinging more down the line than around my body? Once my shoulder turn gets level in the downswing i'll hold off my release so i won't hit it way left, the shank comes into play, i start humping the goat....everything just feels way off. Please help me to rid myself of this plague.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Colum

Colum

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127872
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

I am just back playing a few months from over a decade layoff and have this same issue ruin many a score, sub-par rounds followed with 80's. I am getting it under more control now I have fully identified it. What often works for me is to focus on the right elbow leading the downswing, for me this stops the right shoulder coming over which misses everything right, try it on the range for a few swings. When I think of the right elbow on the downswing most shots are well hit, provided the swing is kept smooth. Good luck.

#3 abc

abc

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106115
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

geo0113, on 12 August 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

So I've been playing really well so far this year. Had my first round in the 60's in years and i've consistently been shooting below 75. But when i have a bad day....it's a really bad day. my swing will feel so out of sorts i lose all confidence in where the ball will go and i try to guide it and then things get worse. what is happening is that my shoulders begin to turn perpendicular to the ground during the downswing, which is causing an awful over the top move. When i get in a funk i can't seem to get away from this move. Happened last four holes in last round and last night at the range. Any specific thoughts i can focus on to get my right shoulder swinging more down the line than around my body? Once my shoulder turn gets level in the downswing i'll hold off my release so i won't hit it way left, the shank comes into play, i start humping the goat....everything just feels way off. Please help me to rid myself of this plague.

I'd be happy to help.

I also used to have a terrible over-the-top move on the downswing, which would result in pulled shots, slices, or pulled snap hooks (the worst with my clubhead lag and wrist action).

The key is to remember that once you reach the apex of your backswing, you MUST SLIDE YOUR HIPS LATERALLY towards the target and left side of your body (assuming your right handed). This lateral hip slide to your left will automatically drop your hands, arms, and clubshaft into the proper swing plane. Your right shoulder will also dip lower than your left as a result. Then turn your hips, waist, shoulders, arms, etc. and complete your golf swing and followthrough.

The dipping of your right shoulder will prevent you from casting the club with an over-the-top move. Instead, it will promote an inside-outside swing path on the downswing.

Everything clicked into place for my golf swing once I incorporated this key missing element into my golf swing.

Edited by abc, 12 August 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#4 bmlh29

bmlh29

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132914
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

I actually was having a similar problem, but mine seemed to be happening in my address. Apparently working with my driver so much screwed me up enough to think that lowering my shoulder was standard for every club. :fool:

Edited by bmlh29, 12 August 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#5 geo0113

geo0113

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29202
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

thanks guys for the tips. i solved the issue tonight at the range...only took about 50 balls before i stumbled upon it. i was getting so frustrated i was overlooking the basics, trying to modify all these body positions during the swing. instead the fix was pretty simple in the end. my mishits are happening when at the start of the downswing my head is dipping down. it's probably in an effort to swing too hard in frustration. i usually do this when i try to load up my lower body and it causing my head to dip significantly. reminds me of bad tiger...only i don't have the world class hand eye to save it. i was just spinning out in an effort to clear space for my hands. back on track now. maybe this tip will help anyone out there fighting this problem. Thanks again for the help

#6 Wood511

Wood511

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114842
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

Glad you got it fixed. I've never understood how Tiger makes that move and is (was) so consistent. It's definitely not a move that anyone should copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors