Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How To Select a Driver Shaft?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4601

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows how to select a driver shaft? I have no way to try out different shafts so it would be hit or miss. All I do know is I'm looking for a mid-launching shaft that's not to heavy and doesn't generate a lot of spin. That's not much to go on. My other shaft snapped at the tip and the driver head went flying down the tee box.

My swing speed is around 90 mph and I play a 47-inch shaft, so I play a stiff flex.

Thanks for your time.

Hey...be nice.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 r1champ529

r1champ529

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133235
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

Not to hijack, But I would also love information oh how to do this.

#3 christiger1986

christiger1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78534
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

Get fit. There are too many variables. I found out that the way you unload and load in your swing will determine if you need a tip stiff shaft or a butt stiff shaft. I believe whiteboard is butt soft and tip stiff. My swing speed is around 108-109 and smash factor right at 1.5. I had the Ahina in my R11 and it gave me bad numbers. It was very inconsistent and a i had a lot of shots going left (it was untipped). I tried the RIP 60x and it straigtened all my shots. I have a soilid swnig but I never swing any harder than i need to. 108-109 was consistently the number with spin rate in the mid 2000 (i believe, lol i can't recall but in 2000). Your launch angle needs to be ideal too as you want to maximize your carry and roll. Last comes feel. I loved the 757 and the whiteboard feel but the RIP was a stout shaft. However it gave me the ideal numbers and so I am sticking with it. I have the v2 in my hybrid and was killing with it. Lesson I learned is that you can't always go with what people say, like, or whatever because the shaft might be amazing for some people and even most people but it won't be for you. anyways good luck finding the right one

#4 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

There are a lot more guys on this site with a lot more expertise that me, but I can tell you how I went about finding a replacement shaft.
First, what are the characteristics of your current shaft (aside from being in 2 parts)? launch, spin, feel, bend profile
What do you like, dislike about current shaft? Do you want to launch the ball higher/lower? Does your current shaft feel too boardy/flimsy?
How much do you want to spend?
Look at all the websites of the major manufacturers to see what fits the characteristics you're looking for. For instance, a shaft in the mid launch category would be a Grafalloy PL Platinum, GD Aura Gold, Matrix Ozik Code6, etc... I believe Miyazaki has a chart with bendpoint profiles of many shafts, which will give an idea if a shaft will be tip stiff, tip soft, butt stiff, etc..., so if you like the feel of a certain shaft, but it's too pricey, look for a similar profile in a less expensive model.
If you have a fitter nearby, take your list to him, and, hopefully, he'll have a few of those shafts available to hit and/or recommendations for other options based on what he sees.

#5 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

The issue with getting fitted is finding a good fitter, very rare. I get better advice on here than the local fitter at Dicks's or Golf Galaxy.

Go to either and try different shafts that come with the Taylomade, Titelist or Callway fitting carts to get you in the ballpark. Find a couple you like and then read on here whether  that shaft is a "made for" or a "real shaft". Example Taylormade Matrix HD6 is the same whether it has TM graphics or is after market. Now it is a Rip then my understanding is the "made for" are different than the "real deal" but some like them. I found a line I liked Matrix and have been happy using different shafts over the years as my swing speed and traj needs have changed.

Then buy it, install and have fun. If you don't like it buy another club with a differnt shaft and sell the first one. This goes on until you find the right one, give up or go broke. Welcome to GOLWRX!

Cobra Encore ZL ust chrome 50 reg
Mizuno JPX 825 tour x or recoil 95
Callaway X2 Hot 4/7 Diamana Blue 63
Callaway x2 5/6 hybrid Tour Blue
1993 Merit SW, betti bb32 counter

#6 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

View Postjohnnythunders, on 09 August 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

The issue with getting fitted is finding a good fitter, very rare. I get better advice on here than the local fitter at Dicks's or Golf Galaxy.

I hear ya. There are a lot of 'feet on the ground' swinging lots of different shafts on this site.
To the OP, remember that what works for the > 110mph SS guys doesn't usually work for us. Spin is not the enemy - spin creates lift. Best driver shafts that I have tried, Matrix Radix HD5 and Grafalloy PL Axis blue, are both high launch, high spin.
Good luck.

#7 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies! I'll see if I can find a decent fitter. There are too many shafts to just guess at it.
Hey...be nice.

#8 csl928

csl928

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124025
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

if you cannot get fitted for whatever reason, at least try and get some launch monitor numbers.  Go to a store during off hours and spend some time in the LM and either write down or print out the numbers then post them on here and you will get a shaft rec.  Besides that the only other way is trial and error.  

P.S.  Unless you are completely attached to such a long shaft, ditch the 47 inch for something in the 44-45 range.  I just went to a 44 inch driver from a 45.75 and im hitting the ball just as far with tighter dipersion.

#9 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

View Postcsl928, on 09 August 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

if you cannot get fitted for whatever reason, at least try and get some launch monitor numbers.  Go to a store during off hours and spend some time in the LM and either write down or print out the numbers then post them on here and you will get a shaft rec.  Besides that the only other way is trial and error.  

P.S.  Unless you are completely attached to such a long shaft, ditch the 47 inch for something in the 44-45 range.  I just went to a 44 inch driver from a 45.75 and im hitting the ball just as far with tighter dipersion.
Thanks CS. The 47-inch driver was recommended (I'm 6'5" with relatively short arms), and the smash factor with the driver was between 1.45 and 1.48. I tried a shorter driver and struggled hitting it. It just felt way too short.

I'll see if I can find a store that will let me use a LM.
Hey...be nice.

#10 csl928

csl928

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124025
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

View PostSean2, on 09 August 2011 - 04:29 PM, said:

Thanks CS. The 47-inch driver was recommended (I'm 6'5" with relatively short arms), and the smash factor with the driver was between 1.45 and 1.48. I tried a shorter driver and struggled hitting it. It just felt way too short.

Well then if it works it works.  If you have a big box store around you then they should definitely let you use the LM.  Otherwise pay for a driver fitting somewhere like gofl galaxy strictly for the numbers.  The price you spend on the fitting you will saveby ordering a shaft online at a fraction of the cost.  Golfsmith has a bunch of graffaloy shafts on sale for dirt cheap as well if you want to go the trial and error path

Edited by csl928, 09 August 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

View Postcsl928, on 09 August 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 09 August 2011 - 04:29 PM, said:

Well then if it works it works.  If you have a big box store around you then they should definitely let you use the LM.  Otherwise pay for a driver fitting somewhere like gofl galaxy strictly for the numbers.  The price you spend on the fitting you will saveby ordering a shaft online at a fraction of the cost.  Golfsmith has a bunch of graffaloy shafts on sale for dirt cheap as well if you want to go the trial and error path

Thanks!
Hey...be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors