Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pros/cons 55g vs 65g driver shaft

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 onetime19

onetime19

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122469
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

Does it have to do more with swing speed or ?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 catch2285

catch2285

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121831
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Recently went from a stock 50g to 65 in my driver as it felt way too light. Like the 65 better, because it feels like I am able to time my body and swing up better.

#3 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

The lighter shaft will tend to produce slightly faster swing speed, higher trajectory, higher spin. Generally also looser dispersion/lower accuracy.

#4 BeanieAZ

BeanieAZ

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128067
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Heavier shaft usually means more accuracy. However, too heavy of a shaft and you'll lose swing speed and distance.

#5 Jaggie99

Jaggie99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128683
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

just changed my PING K15 from stock 55g Regular to a 65g Stiff (lessons this year changed my Avg Driver SS from 93 to 104). Results playing this week - bombing driver straight with mid/high trajectory, just the way i like it. Kicking myself for not having changed earlier.

Swing weight went from D3 to D8, but driver feels very "solid" and dispersion of the shots was great - 11/14 fairways hit today, with my longest drive at 296

#6 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

I went to a lighter shaft (Speeder 569) with no control or trajectory issues.  No distance gains but feels solid and lighter.
Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
MacGregor JNP 3 thru PW, SW
Nike Method Mod 90
WITB Link
Swift X bag & MG Tour C4 balls

#7 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Jaggie99, on 07 August 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

just changed my PING K15 from stock 55g Regular to a 65g Stiff (lessons this year changed my Avg Driver SS from 93 to 104). Results playing this week - bombing driver straight with mid/high trajectory, just the way i like it. Kicking myself for not having changed earlier.

Swing weight went from D3 to D8, but driver feels very "solid" and dispersion of the shots was great - 11/14 fairways hit today, with my longest drive at 296

The stock TFC is 55 g in an R, 60 g in an S.  If you were swinging an R TFC (maybe even the S!) at 104, you wouldn't have liked it at ANY weight.

#8 onetime19

onetime19

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122469
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

I have always played a 65 gr driver shaft. I had a recent trackman fitting and was told I would be better off in a 55?

Edited by onetime19, 15 August 2011 - 03:23 PM.

#9 TomWishon

TomWishon

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
GolfWRX Likes : 922

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

onetime19, on 05 August 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

Does it have to do more with swing speed or ?

OneTIme:

The weight of the shaft is the predominant controller of the TOTAL WEIGHT of the club. Meaning how many grams or ounces does the whole club weigh.  Total weight is fit to the golfer on the basis of their downswing transition force, their downswing acceleration aggressiveness, and also on the basis of how physically strong is the golfer and do they use that strength in their swing.  The idea is you want the weight of the club to match the tempo, aggressiveness and strength of the golfer so as to end up with more shot consistency, better swing tempo consistency, and a higher percentage of on center hits.  

The more forceful and aggressive the swing, the higher the total weight of the club should be - which means the heavier the weight of the shaft should be.  And vice versa, the more passive and rhythmic and smooth the swing tempo, the lighter the total weight should be and lighter the weight of the shaft needs to be.  

It is also true that the lighter the total weight of the club, meaning the lighter the weight of the shaft, the golfer should be able to see a little higher clubhead speed and from it, more distance.  However, it usually requires the golfer to drop the weight of the shaft by at least 20-25 grams before they see a 1mph increase in clubhead speed.  Then you have the matter of can you still hit the ball on center the highest percentage of the time with a much lighter total weight in the club.  If the lighter weight club results in a higher percentage of off center hits than before, any clubhead speed increase from going lighter is never going to turn into more distance than before.  

Typically when you have a strong, aggressive golfer who uses a very light shaft such as sub 60g or sub 50g, they can tend to get even more quick with their swing tempo and from this, suffer from a higher percentage of off center hits or suffer from a worse swing path movement through the ball.  It IS possible to offset some of this "too light feeling" of a more aggressive golfer using a very light shaft by increasing the swingweight (headweight) of the club and still keep the total weight of the club lower than if you used a heavier shaft.  Adding weight to the head can give such a golfer the sense that there is enough weight out there so they might not end up getting too quick.  

The difference between a 55g and 65g shaft to most golfers is minimal and hardly shows up.  This is because of 2 reasons.  For one, the obvious one, 10 grams is just not very much weight and many golfers just cannot feel that reduction in weight over the whole length of the club.  Drop 10g from the head and sure, they feel that.  But 10g of shaft weight is over the whole length of the shaft so most golfers don't feel it.   The other reason is because if you switch from a 65g to 55g shaft and you want the club with the 55g shaft to play to the same swingweight as you had it before, you'll have to add some weight to the head once the 55g shaft is installed.   This weight addition to get the swingweight back to where it was then acts to reverse some of the lighter total weight obtained from the 10g drop in the shaft weight.  

For most golfers, to really experience a visible and perceptible change in the weight of the club from a shaft weight change, that shaft weight change has to be closer to 20 grams or more.  

TOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors