Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Whats your level of education?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Education (345 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your level of education

1. Doctorate Degree (36 votes [10.43%])

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

2. Masters Degree (87 votes [25.22%])

Percentage of vote: 25.22%

3. Bachelors Degree (139 votes [40.29%])

Percentage of vote: 40.29%

4. Associates Degree (13 votes [3.77%])

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

5. Trade School (6 votes [1.74%])

Percentage of vote: 1.74%

6. Student (46 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

7. Degree not required in industry (please post industry) (6 votes [1.74%])

Percentage of vote: 1.74%

8. Other (12 votes [3.48%])

Percentage of vote: 3.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JP Page

JP Page

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105704
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Well, like the title says.  Did you go to college, trade school, or are you in an industry where there is no benefit in a degree?

For example, I went to school and have a BS in Supply Chain Management.  I work in the defense industry and a degree is nearly always required.

My brother is a lighting designer (major concerts, laser lights, really cool stuff) and there is not a degree that would advance his career.  As I talk with him I am very impressed as his level of experience in management, budgeting, negotiating, and several other key areas that would make him an excellent program or project manager.

It is interesting to me because while I spent 5 years in college working at a tire shop my brother was out building real world experience and building his name in the industry. (Had a few articles published in an industry magazine)

I'm not complaining or saying I "wasted" my time in school.  I am very happy in my current position and I am set up for a long and prosperous career.  Just two very different paths to achieve successful careers.

Please vote and if you would like share your experience or opinions.  Thanks

Edited by JP Page, 05 August 2011 - 02:48 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 havoc01

havoc01

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120757
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

20+ yrs military

school of hard knocks

experience over education any day

#3 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

I did a joint 3 year MA/MBA degree after undergrad.  To say which was more instrumental in being where I am today I think my coursework on theory and spending 7 years learning the true fundamentals of how and why are equally important with the actual experience gained from interning and working.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#4 OpusX20

OpusX20

The balance. The poise. The finish. It's like a dance.

• 1,633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84036
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

There are numerous ways to skin the "education" cat.  There is certainly no universal right answer.  Personally, I got my BA in Economics and after working in the "real world" for4 years, I went back and got my MBA.  Part of what the "right answer" for a certain person is, will depend on what they are looking for.  From a practical job perspective, a degree in economics is of little use.  But, I wasn't specifically going to college to get job or trade training.  My hope was to become better educated and more well rounded.  There are certainly other ways to become better educated and more well rounded, but this was the path I picked.  I also worked full-time during the last 3 years I was in college, to pay my way.  I felt this was a great experience.  In a sense, I got to do both experiential learning and theoretical learning side by side.
BB Alpha 9*, Proforce VTS 7X Silver
Cal Razr Fit Xtreme 15*, Fuji Motore F1X
Adams 9031, AxivCore Tour Black 102X
Tour Issue Adams A4, Aldila NV 85-X
Ping Anser 52*, 56* & 60*
Bettinardi BB54

#5 bub72ck

bub72ck

Major Winner

• 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29752
  • Handicap:+1.4
  • Ebay ID:ifly330
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

I have a BSBA but don't use much of what I learned in any college classes for my insurance career.  It's all about experience and product specific classes I have taken since starting to work.  I think the best things I learned in college were to be independent, understand time management, and develop relationships.

Titleist 913 D3 9.5* Fuji Motore TS 6.2X
Taylormade HFS Diamana Blue 83X
Taylormade Rescue 09 TP Aldila XVS9
Titleist 714 AP2 TT DGX100 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Kombi S
TM 50, Vokey SM5 54* and 60* TT DGS400

#6 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

MA, starting to look at Ph.D. programs.

Edited by mac94, 05 August 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#7 jujohnson43783

jujohnson43783

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95996
  • Ebay ID:jujohnson43783
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

I have a Bachelors in Accounting and a Bachelors in Political Science.  Work as a Financial Analyst at a printing company.  I used to be a field director for the Ohio Republican Party...then my party left their moorings and I am no longer part of the party.

#8 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Some college no degree, I work as an Insurance agent. I plan on completing some industry recognized programs in agency managment and underwriting that will get me just as far as any degree would have, plus my company gives me a bonus for completing them :clapping:
9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#9 shuddleston

shuddleston

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132450
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Masters in taxation and a CPA.

#10 studatnu

studatnu

Tour Winner

• 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 938
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

Bachelors of Science = Mechanical Engineer and a minor in Manufacturing/Industrial Engineering and working on my Project Management Professional Certificate.

Callaway RFX 10.5* & 16.5* w/ Fubuki
TM Burner 19* w/ Matrix Altus
TM MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125
TM XFT 48* 52* & 56*
TM Spider 14gx14g @ 33"
TM Lethal

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 bmorejared

bmorejared

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128405
  • Ebay ID:jaredbmore1972
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

Mine is certainly strange. I have an Associate's Degree in Funeral Service Business Management. I am a licensed funeral director and embalmer and in my state an Associate's Degree from an accredited mortuary science program is all that is required (as well as an internship and passing a State and National Board Exam). My problem is that I want to switch careers. I wanted to go back to school, but there isn't a four year college out there that will recognize any of my credits because they don't recognize my school's accreditation. Currently I am in B2B sales in the funeral industry. I have years of very successful management experience, but companies don't see how management skills in my industry can transfer to theirs. They won't even talk to you without a BA or BS, regardless of the fact that I have been working full time for 22 years.

#12 slice_oftheday

slice_oftheday

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65923
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

student working towards BS in computer engineering

#13 LUMA

LUMA

Too Hard On Myself

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114517
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

No degree. Work in wealth management and insurance.
Titleist 910 D3 / Diamana Ahina 72 S
Taylormade R9 / OTR S
2005 Taylormade Rescue / OTR S
Titleist 710 CB PW-4 / DG S300
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant
Titleist Vokey 54/58 DG

#14 sschull

sschull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131734

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

one year left BA in accounting. Going for my CPA after that. At the firm I interned for my boss actually was the one who got me into golf. Always talking about how important of a networking tool it is. I ended up going out and playing one day and was hooked right away.

#15 mr.haha

mr.haha

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71568
  • Ebay ID:fishngolfguy
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

MST and 75% through the CPA exam. one more baby.

just as a side note, i think too many people go to 4 year undergraduate degrees. given that higher education costs are rising greater than the rate of inflation, i find it troublesome that the potential debt incurred by current students is too much to overcome by the average measly salary. this also worries me because we need people like teachers, who require alot of higher education but the financial rewards are not always there. furthermore, i believe the current unemployment rate for college students (graduated within 3 years) is around 20% or so.

i hope we do not see a higher education debt bubble similar to the mortgage crisis that we experienced not too long ago.

it is unfortunate that most Americans feel that they need to go to a 4 year school without considering 1) military service 2) 2 year schools 3) trade schools.
if i had to do it all over again knowing i was unsure of my career path, i would have joined the military right out of high school. i was lucky that i chose acctg but not every high school student knows what they want.

i could go on for even more but i need to get back to cpa exam studying.

S-Yard  T.388 9.5*
Epon AF Tours - Monaco Shafts
PRGR Egg HD 15*
Yururi Raw Gekku 50*, 54*, Geotech 58*
Machine Damascus M10

#16 bmorejared

bmorejared

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostOpiumpipez, on 06 August 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

just as a side note, i think too many people go to 4 year undergraduate degrees. given that higher education costs are rising greater than the rate of inflation, i find it troublesome that the potential debt incurred by current students is too much to overcome by the average measly salary. this also worries me because we need people like teachers, who require alot of higher education but the financial rewards are not always there. furthermore, i believe the current unemployment rate for college students (graduated within 3 years) is around 20% or so.

i hope we do not see a higher education debt bubble similar to the mortgage crisis that we experienced not too long ago.

it is unfortunate that most Americans feel that they need to go to a 4 year school without considering 1) military service 2) 2 year schools 3) trade schools.
if i had to do it all over again knowing i was unsure of my career path, i would have joined the military right out of high school. i was lucky that i chose acctg but not every high school student knows what they want.

i could go on for even more but i need to get back to cpa exam studying.

I agree with you completely, but most hiring managers don't. A four year degree is pretty much mandatory just to get your foot in the door for an entry level office job. The military is great, but many have trouble finding work when they get out, unless they have a degree. Trade schools tend to be a huge rip-off. Most trades tend to be best learned on the job, but again that relies on employers giving people an opportunity.

I think we are coming to a point where the bachelor's degree is just going to be a prerequisite for any type of success, somewhat like the high school diploma was to my generation. A bachelor's may even become part of the public education system. It is unfortunate that many Americans do not have the mental fortitude to complete such a program, so these degrees will inevitably become "dumbed down". Since we really don't build anything in this country there really isn't any living wage paying work for those that aren't able to demonstrate educational proficiency. It is quite sad. "Kids" will be living at home until they are near 30 before they get the educational credentials necessary to sit in front of a hiring manager for an interview. The WWII generation accomplished fantastic things, most with just an 8th grade education. IMHO real life experience and intelligence trumps multiple degrees.

#17 flyersfan25

flyersfan25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134658

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

View Postslice_oftheday, on 05 August 2011 - 08:44 PM, said:

Computer software engineering for me.  I go to Drexel as well!

#18 JP Page

JP Page

Advanced

• 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105704

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

View Posthavoc01, on 05 August 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

20+ yrs military

school of hard knocks

What was your primary role in the military?  Are you still in the military, if not, what do you do?

Edited by JP Page, 06 August 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#19 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 534

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm a self-taught software developer (c#.net mostly) that only has a HS education.  Lack of degree was never an issue except back in the day when automotive required one to be hired direct. My software speaks for itself, so I don't even mention it in job interview or on a resume (been at this for 20 years).

#20 slice_oftheday

slice_oftheday

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

View Postflyersfan25, on 06 August 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

cool man, where do you play?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostOpiumpipez, on 06 August 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

I'm glad that at least some schools offer full rides to students who enter their teaching programs and agree to a minimum of five years of teaching upon graduation. Certainly easier on them if they come out debt free with a guaranteed job.

#22 flyersfan25

flyersfan25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134658

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

View Postslice_oftheday, on 07 August 2011 - 11:36 PM, said:

View Postflyersfan25, on 06 August 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

cool man, where do you play?

I play in the Chester county area usually because I commute to school.  

My most played courses are Kimberton, and Pickering Valley. How about you?

Edited by flyersfan25, 09 August 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#23 slice_oftheday

slice_oftheday

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

View Postflyersfan25, on 09 August 2011 - 12:27 AM, said:

I play in the Chester county area usually because I commute to school.  

My most played courses are Kimberton, and Pickering Valley. How about you?

I play Cobb's Creek a lot since it's only one septa ride away from my apartment, but sometimes get to play Montgomery county courses when I have the time.  

We should play sometime, I don't know any golfers up here, just moved last year from FL

#24 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:54 AM

I think for most careers a degree is overrated.  I actually don't like the idea of college but in today's competitive job market if you don't have one you are behind.  Experience imo is a much better indicator of how you can perform.  I did get my bachelors degree but that's only because even though not required its preferred in most environments.  My degree is in Criminal Justice and I work for the County Sheriff.
Driver: Adams Speedline Super S
3 Wood: TEE XCG6 15*
Hybrid: Adams 9031 20*
Irons: Nike VRS Forged 5-P
Wedges: Cobra Trusty Rusty 50*/55*
Putter: Yes i4-Tech Stephanie

#25 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

One should go to college for the purpose of becoming an educated person, not for job training. It's too bad college has become viewed merely as vocational preparation.

#26 AZPhys13

AZPhys13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101362
  • Ebay ID:greenfielde
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Starting my 5th year as a graduate student in physics this fall.  Once I get my PhD I hope to teach university physics...or R&D in the golf industry.
905R 10.5*
909F2 15.5*
909H 21*
DCI 962 4-PW
Scratch DD 53*, 58*
Anser Milled 0

#27 markheardjr

markheardjr

Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

I have a double BS in Business Administration and Human Resources. I'm a financial/business analyst at a top defense contractor. Honestly here on the business side the school makes little difference. Everyone starts at the same $$. It's personality that wins the job. On the engineering technical side school matters more.

#28 shinysticks77

shinysticks77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69752
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

View Posthavoc01, on 05 August 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

20+ yrs military

school of hard knocks

+1000

I'm currently a law student and have been in private schools all my life (including college). But totally agree with you man and am actually thinking of bagging the legal profession for a while and hitting naval ocs right after graduation. I feel like I'll learn more vital sh** there from structured individuals in a year than I will have ever learned in all of these schools listening to liberal dorks who were too scared to ever make it in the real world themselves...no offense to all you professors out there (and liberals)

#29 bmorejared

bmorejared

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

View Postmac94, on 09 August 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

One should go to college for the purpose of becoming an educated person, not for job training. It's too bad college has become viewed merely as vocational preparation.

A library card is free and can also make you an educated person.

#30 mastapp

mastapp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95520
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

A college degree isn't a bad thing.  Experience is valuable and important, but to dismiss a college education as unnecessary or frivolous is neither fair nor accurate.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors