Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Got hit in the face

128 replies to this topic

#121 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

I was hit once in the face by a golf ball.  I was at work, talking to a guy in the sim, and he hit a bad shot and recoiled really fast back down to where the balls normally rest.  He was hitting a Nickent hybrid, and caught a ball perfectly square in the back of the club.  It sent the ball sailing into my lower right mandible just beneath my canine and incisors.  It hurt a fair bit.  It may have even done a little hairline fracture but I never got it checked out.  

He kept asking me questions so I just stayed there massaging my jaw as he was talking to me.  The people waiting for the sim saw it hit me and just started laughing (they were teenagers).  So there I was explaining to him that he needed a different shaft or loft as my eyes were watering and my ears were ringing, and I had people laughing that I got hit behind me.

I don't think he bought the club...

PING G25 - TFC189D
Callaway Big Bertha '14 - RIP Phenom
Callaway X-Hot Utility - PXv
PING i3 3-Pw  - Dynamic Gold
Nike VR Pro II 50 & 55 - DGS400
PING Anser Zero

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#122 XFelon

XFelon

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163441
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Did I miss all the pics.....?

#123 divotbeltran

divotbeltran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113682
  • Ebay ID:12ozzz

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostXFelon, on 11 April 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Did I miss all the pics.....?

Ye, you didn't miss much, just looked like Tyson broke my cheek with a quick right.

#124 amir169

amir169

Shooting lower and lower!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164079
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Guess what, I was trying out some clubs at a store, which had a new testing area set up. The place was all so nice, the clubfitters were even wearing labcoats. So then as I had finished testing, my dad then tried to hit a demo Cleveland with the Miyazaki shaft, with me standing behind him, to the right (a little outside of the area). Somehow the net did not absorb the impact of the golf ball, rebounded off the wall behind it and hit me directly above my lip, below my nose, just to the right of it.

Walked off with a huge bruise, and a tear inside my mouth, bleeding so badly while me and my dad went to the clinic to check it up. Up til now,the tear in my mouth left me eating in smaller portions since I couldn't eat - it was like having a really huge ulcer in your mouth. The bruise was so bad it's like a chewing gum was stuck in your upper lip for a whole week(still feels like it's there). This happened last Friday.. the guys working there didn't even say sorry :beee:. Lucky to not hit me in the eye or nose.

Edited by amir169, 20 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#125 bmaas03

bmaas03

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25837
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

I was hit just above the eye last summer. My playing partner and I were in a blind corner in the rough that is shared between two holes. We made a point to walk into the other fairway and wave to make sure the group teeing off on the next hole knew we were there. They even waved back to acknowledge us.

I hit my ball and waited in the cart while my partner hit his. Maybe 45 seconds later I heard the faint flick of a leaf and a ball hitting me on my eyebrow. It was a tee shot, on the fly, with a driver.

My first instinct: I screamed at my playing partner and asked if my eye was still there.
It swelled immediately and we assumed the group would approach us as we gathered ice in a towel and put it over my eye. But they never came...my partner told them they hit me and their only response was "we couldn't see you". No apology, no "hey man, hope you're ok", no nothing. That's what upset me more than them not yelling fore when they knew we were in the direction of their tee shot.

I only received two stitches to close the wound above my eye, but it sends chills up my spine to know that I was 1/2" from losing an eye, or 1/2" the other direction from being hit squarely in the temple and possibly dying.

Needless to say, I'm extremely skiddish on the course these days.
It doesn't cost anything to yell "fore".

#126 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1191

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

View Postdivotbeltran, on 24 July 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

As the topic name reads, I got hit in the face with a line drive, and to cut the boring the stuff,  this is what happened. My friend and I were visiting/playing the Olmos Basin Golf Course in San Antonio, TX, we managed to get to #3 par 3 and waited in the cart for the green to clear. About 10 seconds later a ball flies straight into my face. I sit in my cart for a second and realize I just got hit in the face/cheek and my face started to severely swell. The only person that saw me get hit was my friend next to me. According to him the guy had a hybrid out trying to hit the #2 green and was anywhere from 100-150 yards form our cart. Our playing partners came up to us and asked what happened, and by this time I had gotten my golf towel to cover the bleeding coming from my face and nose. I told them I got hit in the face and since no one had been in this kind of situation, I just told my friend to go to the pro shop.

When we took off to the pro shop, that is when the guy that hit me came up to our group, but I just wanted to leave the course as soon as possible, so we ignored him and my friend just told him that he hit me in the face. All I received from the head pro was a bag of ice and filed a report of incidence. I drove myself to a Medical Clinic, and found that my sinus cavity was severely fractured.

So now I am waiting until tomorrow to see if I need surgery or not. Anything similar happen to any of you? And if so what plan of action did you take?

EDIT: What my face looks like.

The guy whose golf ball hit you is liable for your injuries and expenses.  

I
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#127 divotbeltran

divotbeltran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113682
  • Ebay ID:12ozzz

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

View Postbmaas03, on 20 April 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

I was hit just above the eye last summer. My playing partner and I were in a blind corner in the rough that is shared between two holes. We made a point to walk into the other fairway and wave to make sure the group teeing off on the next hole knew we were there. They even waved back to acknowledge us.

I hit my ball and waited in the cart while my partner hit his. Maybe 45 seconds later I heard the faint flick of a leaf and a ball hitting me on my eyebrow. It was a tee shot, on the fly, with a driver.

My first instinct: I screamed at my playing partner and asked if my eye was still there.
It swelled immediately and we assumed the group would approach us as we gathered ice in a towel and put it over my eye. But they never came...my partner told them they hit me and their only response was "we couldn't see you". No apology, no "hey man, hope you're ok", no nothing. That's what upset me more than them not yelling fore when they knew we were in the direction of their tee shot.

I only received two stitches to close the wound above my eye, but it sends chills up my spine to know that I was 1/2" from losing an eye, or 1/2" the other direction from being hit squarely in the temple and possibly dying.

Needless to say, I'm extremely skiddish on the course these days.
It doesn't cost anything to yell "fore".

Very similar in the way things turned out for us, I always make it a big thing to yell "fore" as loud as I can whenever my ball is flying towards someone.

#128 TJCDAS

TJCDAS

I was cured, all right!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77417
  • Handicap:Me
GolfWRX Likes : 745

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

View Postdivotbeltran, on 24 July 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

As the topic name reads, I got hit in the face with a line drive, and to cut the boring the stuff,  this is what happened. My friend and I were visiting/playing the Olmos Basin Golf Course in San Antonio, TX, we managed to get to #3 par 3 and waited in the cart for the green to clear. About 10 seconds later a ball flies straight into my face. I sit in my cart for a second and realize I just got hit in the face/cheek and my face started to severely swell. The only person that saw me get hit was my friend next to me. According to him the guy had a hybrid out trying to hit the #2 green and was anywhere from 100-150 yards form our cart. Our playing partners came up to us and asked what happened, and by this time I had gotten my golf towel to cover the bleeding coming from my face and nose. I told them I got hit in the face and since no one had been in this kind of situation, I just told my friend to go to the pro shop.

When we took off to the pro shop, that is when the guy that hit me came up to our group, but I just wanted to leave the course as soon as possible, so we ignored him and my friend just told him that he hit me in the face. All I received from the head pro was a bag of ice and filed a report of incidence. I drove myself to a Medical Clinic, and found that my sinus cavity was severely fractured.

So now I am waiting until tomorrow to see if I need surgery or not. Anything similar happen to any of you? And if so what plan of action did you take?

EDIT: What my face looks like.

The guy whose golf ball hit you is liable for your injuries and expenses.  

I

This is simply not true.  Even if they did not yell fore, liability can not be easily determined.  The courts determined fore is etiquette not a legal requirement.

#129 PockyStick

PockyStick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125784
  • Ebay ID:jetinfreak
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

hope you get better and nothing is seriously damaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors