Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Otey Crisman Putter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DEnsign33

DEnsign33

Devyn.Ensign33

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130962
  • Ebay ID:densign1990
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

I have an old Otey Crisman 30 H Putter, looking at a few online stores I couldn't find my exact model, but it looks like these range from $25-$80 or so, anyone know what my 30 H model might be worth? It has the original Kingswood Calf grip and hickory shaft.

Edited by DEnsign33, 21 July 2011 - 05:40 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DEnsign33

DEnsign33

Devyn.Ensign33

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130962
  • Ebay ID:densign1990

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

DSC_0741.JPG

#3 wufpack

wufpack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134063

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

I recently got a Otey Crisman mallet putter witha hickory shaft. It's stamped USA on the bottom and has a signature, like the one pictured, and HB 70 on the back. I began researching the club and believe the HB stands for Hillerich and Brasby which later went on to become Powerbilt but was earlier a part of what is now Louisville Slugger (bat mfg). I have sent a message to Louisville Slugger to find out if I am on the right track. I have read that Otey Crisman III has a putter plant today in Selma, AL that still makes mallet head hickory shafted putters but am still searching for confirmation. In checking a few websites; Youtube; e-Bay; and others it appears that these putters were used in the 1940's and into the 60's and were quite popular. I haven't tried mine yet but will this week. Prices range from around $20-$60 but the markings on what I have found have many variations and not sure what they mean or understand their history and significance. There's more info on www.usamericainc.com page 6 I found. Here is the link to Youtube on the man himself.  
Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded in the summer of 1946 when Otey Crisman, Jr., a touring professional golfer from Selma, Alabama, was preparing for the US Open qualifier which was to be held that year in Birmingham, Alabama. He was scoring poorly with a blade putter commonly used at the time, but had an idea for a mallet style putter which he felt might correct his problems. He whittled a model of what he had in mind, took it to a foundry in his home town of Selma, had them cast him a head of soft aluminum, stuck a hickory shaft on it and proceeded to qualify fourth in the nation for the 1946 U.S. Open.

What he had stumbled upon was the concept known today as face balance and enlarged "sweet spot." As he went around the Country playing tournaments that year the local club professionals would ask him to send them a dozen for their shop if he decided to market them. After several months on tour taking orders for his mallet he realized he could make more money selling his putter then playing with it. Thus Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded, and 51 years later Otey's son, Otey Crisman, III, runs the shop and continues to make hickory shafted putters the way his father taught him.

Today's players use steel because they feel it gives them a "technological" advantage. Wrong! Of course steel and graphite give a substantial advantage over hickory on the Irons and Woods where one wants to generate speed and power. However putting is feel and control. And nothing transmits the feel of stroking a putt and softly striking the ball like hickory. Also, hickory putters are extremely beautiful.

Otey Crisman Golf Company is the last company that makes acknowledged "tour quality" hickory shaft blade and mallet putters. And a May 1993 Golf Digest article on famous putters listed the Otey Crisman "...gooseneck mallet shapes, accompanied by a trademark hickory shaft and leather grip" with the likes of Bobby Jones' Calamity Jane, the Wilson 8802, and the Titleist Bulls Eye as putters to "have entered the realm of legend over the years." In fact 5 masters have been won with Otey Crisman putters, and at the 1957 Masters, of the 85 contestants participating, 27 played with Otey.

Otey Crisman putters are still hand crafted in Selma, Alabama by their skilled craftsmen, some of whom have been with the Company over 30 years. So when you own an Otey, whether it was made in 1946 or 1998, you own a legend.

Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded in the summer of 1946 when Otey Crisman, Jr., a touring professional golfer from Selma, Alabama, was preparing for the US Open qualifier which was to be held that year in Birmingham, Alabama. He was scoring poorly with a blade putter commonly used at the time, but had an idea for a mallet style putter which he felt might correct his problems. He whittled a model of what he had in mind, took it to a foundry in his home town of Selma, had them cast him a head of soft aluminum, stuck a hickory shaft on it and proceeded to qualify fourth in the nation for the 1946 U.S. Open.

What he had stumbled upon was the concept known today as face balance and enlarged "sweet spot." As he went around the Country playing tournaments that year the local club professionals would ask him to send them a dozen for their shop if he decided to market them. After several months on tour taking orders for his mallet he realized he could make more money selling his putter then playing with it. Thus Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded, and 51 years later Otey's son, Otey Crisman, III, runs the shop and continues to make hickory shafted putters the way his father taught him.

Today's players use steel because they feel it gives them a "technological" advantage. Wrong! Of course steel and graphite give a substantial advantage over hickory on the Irons and Woods where one wants to generate speed and power. However putting is feel and control. And nothing transmits the feel of stroking a putt and softly striking the ball like hickory. Also, hickory putters are extremely beautiful.

Otey Crisman Golf Company is the last company that makes acknowledged "tour quality" hickory shaft blade and mallet putters. And a May 1993 Golf Digest article on famous putters listed the Otey Crisman "...gooseneck mallet shapes, accompanied by a trademark hickory shaft and leather grip" with the likes of Bobby Jones' Calamity Jane, the Wilson 8802, and the Titleist Bulls Eye as putters to "have entered the realm of legend over the years." In fact 5 masters have been won with Otey Crisman putters, and at the 1957 Masters, of the 85 contestants participating, 27 played with Otey.

Otey Crisman putters are still hand crafted in Selma, Alabama by their skilled craftsmen, some of whom have been with the Company over 30 years. So when you own an Otey, whether it was made in 1946 or 1998, you own a legend.

#4 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Does it have the gold "It's an Otey" shaft band under the grip?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors