Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 19 votes

New and Improved Shaft Chart

794 replies to this topic

#781 mgm101990

mgm101990

mgm101990

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133152
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

Howard Jones, on 01 August 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Ben Martinez, on 01 August 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

smoky25, on 18 July 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Howard Jones asked me to help him post his new and improved shaft chart. Enjoy. Click the chart to enlarge.
Any idea on the FCM of the C-Taper Lite X no stepping? Hit one in the golf shop the other day and loved the added swing weight, just want to see what it is comparable to.

I dont have a exact FCM value, but its in line with KBS TOUR R+ 115 grams taper (or a cpm or 2 stronger) so it should be in the area of FCM 5.6 to 5.7.

I never measured one myself, so i cant be more precise, but CPM measured butt side only, dont tell anything about the rest of the shaft, so never think that 2 shafts with the same FCM number will feel the same.

Interesting. I was using a project x 6.0 and my fitter told me we needed to go closer to a 6.5. i ended up liking the c-taper x lite more. The c-taper x felt harder to feel the head. I have a pretty fast swing speed. Do you think i'm getting too flexible of a shaft for my swing speed. My fitting had me at 100-102mph with 6i. Just seems odd to go softer than my 6.0.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#782 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 3360

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

mgm101990, on 01 August 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Howard Jones, on 01 August 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Ben Martinez, on 01 August 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

smoky25, on 18 July 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Howard Jones asked me to help him post his new and improved shaft chart. Enjoy. Click the chart to enlarge.
Any idea on the FCM of the C-Taper Lite X no stepping? Hit one in the golf shop the other day and loved the added swing weight, just want to see what it is comparable to.

I dont have a exact FCM value, but its in line with KBS TOUR R+ 115 grams taper (or a cpm or 2 stronger) so it should be in the area of FCM 5.6 to 5.7.

I never measured one myself, so i cant be more precise, but CPM measured butt side only, dont tell anything about the rest of the shaft, so never think that 2 shafts with the same FCM number will feel the same.

Interesting. I was using a project x 6.0 and my fitter told me we needed to go closer to a 6.5. i ended up liking the c-taper x lite more. The c-taper x felt harder to feel the head. I have a pretty fast swing speed. Do you think i'm getting too flexible of a shaft for my swing speed. My fitting had me at 100-102mph with 6i. Just seems odd to go softer than my 6.0.

If shaft weight is right, dispersion good, and feel is good, the shaft is good for you.

You are in the higher end of club speed, so it would be natural to think you need a rebar of some sort, but that depend on your swing more than clubspeed, because its not about how fast you swing, but how you swing fast.

A smooth swing player can play almost anything without dispersion problems, while the brutal one, needs a stiffer shaft to handle the forces he puts on the shaft.

Weight, dispersion, feel....
If all 3 is good, the shaft is a good fit

#783 BlackM00Nlight

BlackM00Nlight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422626
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1224

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

Crazy that the CTL shaft has a rating that low.
Nike Vapor Fly 10.5 Tensei Blue 55 X
Nike Vapor Fly 15 Tensei Blue 65F X
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3up)
Nike Origin B1-01 35" putter
Nike RZN Tour Platinum
Nike TW 71 White/Pure Platinum
Nike TW 71 Wolf Grey/University Red
Nike TW 15 University Red/Black

Nike TW 15 Metallic Silver/Black
Nike TW 15 Black/University Red
Nike TW 15 Midnight Navy/Black
Nike Lunar Vapor Storm Black/Solar Red
Nike Performance Cart IV Black/Silver
Nike Vapor Fly Umbrella
Bag Boy Tri-Swivel II Push-Cart Black

#784 Tamimwrx

Tamimwrx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439750
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

I have a Tour Issue FUJIKURA MOTORE SPEEDER VC 7.2 TOUR SPEC that has a taylormade R11s label on it. It was made for that specific Taylormade driver, Iím wondering if itís a ligit motore speeder? Is it worth installing on my favorite driver head ping g30 ls tec? Or should I get the motore speeder that does not have a taylormade label bc theres is a substantial difference? Your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Edited by Tamimwrx, 29 August 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#785 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

Tamimwrx, on 29 August 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

I have a Tour Issue FUJIKURA MOTORE SPEEDER VC 7.2 TOUR SPEC that has a taylormade R11s label on it. It was made for that specific Taylormade driver, I'm wondering if it's a ligit motore speeder? Is it worth installing on my favorite driver head ping g30 ls tec? Or should I get the motore speeder that does not have a taylormade label bc theres is a substantial difference? Your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

why dont you post that question in the forum, it dont belong to this tread at all

#786 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6742

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:21 AM

Howard Jones, on 30 August 2018 - 03:27 AM, said:

Tamimwrx, on 29 August 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

I have a Tour Issue FUJIKURA MOTORE SPEEDER VC 7.2 TOUR SPEC that has a taylormade R11s label on it. It was made for that specific Taylormade driver, I'm wondering if it's a ligit motore speeder? Is it worth installing on my favorite driver head ping g30 ls tec? Or should I get the motore speeder that does not have a taylormade label bc theres is a substantial difference? Your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

why dont you post that question in the forum, it dont belong to this tread at all

He did start another thread with the same question.

http://www.golfwrx.c...speeder-shafts/

Edited by Stuart G., 30 August 2018 - 05:22 AM.

#787 Tamimwrx

Tamimwrx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439750
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Apologies for the mishap. Yes I did create a new thread. Thank you

#788 rlee323

rlee323

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109788
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

Can you add the AMT Red and Black to the chart? I wasn't able to find any info in the postings.

#789 DRRicks

DRRicks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43733
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1061

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

How do DG105 and Modus 105 compare?
Driver: Titleist TS2, Graphite Design AD-IZ 60
3 Wood: Titleist TS2, Rogue Black 70
3 Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 21* loft. Atmos TS8
4 Iron: Titleist TMB, Nippon Modus Tour 120
5-W: Titleist 718 AP2, Nippon Modus Tour 120
GW: Titleist SM7 Jet Black 50.08, Nippon Modus Tour 120
SW: Titleist SM7 Limited Edition Jet Black 54.10, Dynamic Gold Onyx
LW: Titleist SM7 Limited Edition Jet Black 60.04, Dynamic Gold Onyx
Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Edition 5MBS
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

#790 Wardonation

Wardonation

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

Is there an updated chart since the one from 2011 on 1st page? If so, can someone point in the right direction? Thank you...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#791 Entrada

Entrada

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4511
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

#792 BirdieBirdieX

BirdieBirdieX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485064
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:28 PM

Love to see a new one!

#793 golfinrig24

golfinrig24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126085
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

Great info
Any info on c taper lite ?

#794 lonscicles

lonscicles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165899
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:54 PM

Super insightful and helpful.  Thank you!

#795 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

I can see that this tread is still found of interest from many users, but im afraid that most of you who ask for a update is unaware of how little value a chart like this actually have, so before i put any energy into making another with models who came to the marked the years after this chart was made, and some from that time like Nippon who was not on that chart at all, i would like to both tell you all about a few things, and ask you all a few questions before i decide if i will make another or not.

About the FCM flex system
The FCM system or frequency matching system for shaft flex is a invention from Brunswick Royal Precision, and it is NOT compatible for judgement of any other shafts......Its made to compare Rifle vs Rifle from shaft to shaft, or flex to flex, and the shaft design itself is made for that. The only other shaft on the marked i know who is based on the same judgement system is KBS Tour Parallels, who uses the same tip trim instructions, flex slope and flex chart for judgement.

That means all the other shafts on the marked is NOT really compatible with this system at all, so when we try to judge all shaft on the marked this way, we do them all wrong, and would be almost like we put a beginner on the back tee...he want have a fair chance to show off what he can do, the judgement becomes unfair.

The problem is, that since RIFLE has the same profile for all flexes, so each zone in the shaft is progressively softer or stronger, we dont need to check them for anything else than butt CPM to figure out "who they are"....
Thats NOT the case with "all the other" shafts on the marked, not even a shaft like Dynamic GOLD has the same actual profile zone to zone from R to S or X like Rifle has.

That means, when we only measure butt CPM like the Rifle FCM system is based on, thats the only part of the shaft we get to know, we know nothing about the rest, so unlike RIFLE (or KBS Tour) the return number is NOT a indication of "how strong feel will be" because we have not measured more than a tiny little part of the shaft and still know nothing about the rest.

If the compare we base it all on is uncut shafts, we make this even worse and even less useful, because we never play a shaft to full length, we always cut some of the butt section off. Example A typical players club built to "standard" play length using Dynamic Gold Tapers will need a butt cut down to play length of about 2.25"

Now imagine this scenario...we measured the shafts uncut using the RILFE FCM standard and 2.5" inch clamp like the original FCM standard is, and KBS is still using, and built the clubs to standard play length using DG Tapers.

How much is left of the butt we measured to find the shafts we wanted to use? 2/8" inches is the answer
Do you really think the upper 2/8" of the shaft is so important, that we should have a chart like this as pinned topic? Neither do i.

Next problem with a chart like this, now using shafts cut to play length and built with standard head weight where we use a 5.0 clamp and actually measure 5 inch of the shaft that we would play would be like i wrote above, we dont know anything about the rest of it, so if this is a shaft that will feel stiff or soft, we still dont know, but thats not all, its more to it still, because now e also have to talk flex SLOPE......

As shafts goes shorter from one club to the other, measured BUTT CPM (Cycles pr minute) will go up, but how much is a question of how the designer of the shaft wanted that to be.

RIFLE FCM is designed with a flex slope of 8.6 CPM pr.inch as Standard Flight, and 11.88 as Flighted, so even Rifles need 2 different charts to be judged right, ONLY their #6 iron has the same butt CPM, and that means no matter other shaft model we try to compare to Rifles chart, "they want fit", but that DOES NOT mean that the shaft is "off flex", because a shaft like DG X100 Tapers has a design that when we measure butt CPM ends up with a slope above 10 CPM pr inch, so its the chart on the wall from Rifle who is wrong, not the shaft, its designed to be that way.

The last issue is, that i no longer run my shop, so i no longer has access to shafts like i did, and need the help of others or collect them from the net or other users.

The question is, when you know all what i told you now ( ive done that several times in this tread), and say the chart was made to help advanced club makers, NOT to help players to find the right shaft or shaft flex, do you really feel the need for a update?

Edited by Howard Jones, 06 December 2018 - 10:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors