Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Putt---looking at the hole

75 replies to this topic

Poll: Putting looking at the hole (210 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever tried putting looking at the hole?

1. Never (59 votes [28.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.10%

2. Only on the putting green (64 votes [30.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.48%

3. yes, but quit (48 votes [22.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

4. I currently putt this way (39 votes [18.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 BNich0622

BNich0622

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87233
  • Ebay ID:BNich0622
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I played with a guy last week that did this. An older gentleman and had been putting that way for 30 years. Not a bad putter either.

Big Bertha Alpha 9* w Speeder VC 6.0
X2 Hot 15* 3w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65s
X2 Hot 18* Hy/Aldila Tour Green 75s
Apex 3-PW UST Recoil 110 F5
Mack Daddy 2 52* & 58* C Grind
Metal X Milled 330 Mallet 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 1170

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well, after not putting very well I tried this toward the end of my
round, with an unforgiving blade putter. First putt sank a 30  ft
putt. Next hole had another long putt, missed, but distance
control was right on; ball 3 inches past the hole.

I've always picked a spot 4 inches in front of the ball to line up
to but always putted looking at the ball. I'm going to try looking
at that spot next time and see how it compares to looking at
the hole.

This is certainly not for everybody but I think in my case
getting myself hole, or spot, focused is going to work. One
of the problems I've had is finding myself looking at the putter
going back and through and becoming obsessed with
squaring the blade. When I do this I almost always leave putts
well short.

I'm actually a little giddy about getting out for my next round.

#63 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 23 May 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Well, after not putting very well I tried this toward the end of my
round, with an unforgiving blade putter. First putt sank a 30  ft
putt. Next hole had another long putt, missed, but distance
control was right on; ball 3 inches past the hole.

I've found the same type of result when trying this out periodically.  It seems foreign and yet as a scratch bowler, I've spot bowled my entire life; that's how I was taught a a junior.  The key is to develop a dependable stroke and set up square to the target line.  The best part is that you don't seem to have this preoccupation with stroke mechanics and squaring the putter face when you aren't focusing on the impact point.
Callaway Diablo Octane 11.5
Callaway Diablo Octane 4W
Nickent 3DX DC 20/23/26
Ping i25 6-PW w/TFC 189
Nike SV+ 52, 58
Seemore PTM3, 35"

#64 Fade to Black

Fade to Black

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128981
GolfWRX Likes : 395

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

I have found that looking at the hole has helped TREMENDOUSLY with my lag putts. I was always all over the place with my lags, could never get distance right. Started looking at the hole and my distance control is leaps and bounds better. I will occasionally push the ball when I do this, but for those long putts distance is more important then line for me.

Now, inside 10' I will be focusing on the ball so that I make as pure contact as possible.

Had the best week of putting last weekend using this method. Not a single 3 putt which is very unusual for me.

#65 gin and tonic

gin and tonic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186744
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Along with so many others, I am currently struggling with my putting. Have been experimenting with several different techniques. Have done the looking at 4 inches in front of the ball, at the hole...and others...are there others??? Heh.

Currently have been really focusing on the line spending the majority of my time over the ball looking at the hole and the line. Rarely looking at the ball. Am going to try and just pull the trigger once I have let my brain decide the best line and speed and just let it go. We'll see how this goes. Also haven't need taking practice stokes...and my speed has been much better.

#66 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

I have tried this alot!

And I think it is  a bad idea. To practice something that will be different from your normal routine is not beneficial. If anything it just adds confusion, and mis trust. Secondly to focus on a small target means you are not focused on your starting line. Which means this is at best a drill for perfectly straight putts?
Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#67 Asiz

Asiz

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 242087
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Or perhaps it means keeping your eyes on the target. If the target is a point at which you aim to break the putt then wouldn't that be the same as looking at the hole on a perfectly straight putt?
GI to Blades to SGI= Golf is now fun

#68 Left53

Left53

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152265
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Jim Thorpe putts this way

#69 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

I read the book and tried it. Here is my review

Fatal Flaw - Equivalent to a hunter staring at the meat freezer,
April 27, 2013
This review is from: Instinct Putting: Putt Your Best Using the Breakthrough, Science-Based Target Vision Putting Technique (Hardcover)
I give it a 1 star because nothing ventured anything gained. Trying always helps in some way even if totally wrong. Otherwise I would give the book zero stars because the idea is fatally flawed.

A person could observe that other people LOOK AT whatever the object of their desire is (target) and then have some sort of eureka moment that they should putt that way as well with a false thought that the hole is the object to look at.

However the fact is a person putting has a long stick in hand REQUIRING that he look at the TARGET - WHICH IS THE BALL - NOT THE HOLE. People can fantasize all they want that putting is like basketball, baseball etc but this is false and the fatal flaw in this concept. The target via the fact of the long stick in hand is the ball, not the hole.

This Instinct Putting idea would be equivalent to a hunter staring at the meat freezer while fantasizing that the bullet will magically strike the deer that he is NOT looking at. The goal of putting meat in the freezer would not take place.
A better comparison would be a baseball hitter staring at the left field fence when trying to hit a baseball. Such a technique would result in ZERO hits. Any accidental contacts would be weak and feeble, easily handled by the defense.

Really I find it hard to believe that an intelligent person would have bought into this idea enough to make a book. But then again intelligent people figure out ways of making spending money - hmmm - Maybe they don't believe it either - just making a livin ...

I did try the method to see if some cosmic force would generate putting success only to confirm the above obvious flaws. It is a really nice little book with a a nice dust cover. I will keep it just to remind myself of the content. I make notes in all my golf books to find key points faster for later review. I made not one single note in this book, but for about $6.30 NEW with shipping it can be added to your golf library at little expense. (price as of this writing) I would pass at $6.30 if I had to do it again.

#70 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 1170

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

View PostJon Robert, on 14 April 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

I read the book and tried it. Here is my review

Fatal Flaw - Equivalent to a hunter staring at the meat freezer,
April 27, 2013
This review is from: Instinct Putting: Putt Your Best Using the Breakthrough, Science-Based Target Vision Putting Technique (Hardcover)
I give it a 1 star because nothing ventured anything gained. Trying always helps in some way even if totally wrong. Otherwise I would give the book zero stars because the idea is fatally flawed.

A person could observe that other people LOOK AT whatever the object of their desire is (target) and then have some sort of eureka moment that they should putt that way as well with a false thought that the hole is the object to look at.

However the fact is a person putting has a long stick in hand REQUIRING that he look at the TARGET - WHICH IS THE BALL - NOT THE HOLE. People can fantasize all they want that putting is like basketball, baseball etc but this is false and the fatal flaw in this concept. The target via the fact of the long stick in hand is the ball, not the hole.

This Instinct Putting idea would be equivalent to a hunter staring at the meat freezer while fantasizing that the bullet will magically strike the deer that he is NOT looking at. The goal of putting meat in the freezer would not take place.
A better comparison would be a baseball hitter staring at the left field fence when trying to hit a baseball. Such a technique would result in ZERO hits. Any accidental contacts would be weak and feeble, easily handled by the defense.

Really I find it hard to believe that an intelligent person would have bought into this idea enough to make a book. But then again intelligent people figure out ways of making spending money - hmmm - Maybe they don't believe it either - just making a livin ...

I did try the method to see if some cosmic force would generate putting success only to confirm the above obvious flaws. It is a really nice little book with a a nice dust cover. I will keep it just to remind myself of the content. I make notes in all my golf books to find key points faster for later review. I made not one single note in this book, but for about $6.30 NEW with shipping it can be added to your golf library at little expense. (price as of this writing) I would pass at $6.30 if I had to do it again.

The analogy doesn't hold up. You can putt looking at the hole
and not miss the ball. You can't swing a driver and hit the ball
while looking at the fairway.

The difference is a.speed and b.proximity of club to ball.

You can prove the analogy false by simply putting looking
at the hole. It's not for everyone but it can be done with
success by some.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 mannlygolf

mannlygolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102428
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Read this thread early this morning. Just got back from the  range and practice green. Tried putting looking at the hole. I found.........from 5 foot it is like magic, at 6 feet the magic fades a bit. By the time I got to 8 to 10 feet I couldn't hardly pull the trigger! I don't understand. It is the exact same putter stance at 5 feet as it is at 10 feet. I think the concept, when successful, is a lot like only thinking "TARGET" when over a full shot. It was fun giving it a try, but me thinks the thought will stay on line and distance.     Hit em good,   Mike

#72 resnor

resnor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249464
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Stuart Appleby does this...like previous poster, 5 feet in, he looks at the hole.  Outside of it, he looks at the ball.

#73 sucabstunna

sucabstunna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20166
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:sucabstunna
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

I usually putt looking down at the ball and the sight line on my putter. I often look 3 times at the hole before starting my stroke.

#74 esquireking

esquireking

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 315393
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm intrigued by this, looking forward to trying this out this weekend and seeing what kind of results it will yield
New to the game but enjoying everyday

#75 StezzGolfer

StezzGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310427
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

This thread is going to make me want to try it again. I did it for a while, just at the practice green, and stopped because i felt like there is no way I could putt better looking at the hole.. no one else does. But I actually was mildly better when not looking at the ball. Main reason, i think, is i get tentative when i am about to make contact... anticipating contact. When im not looking, i have such a smooth stroke.

I had no idea so many people did this. I got the idea from some homeless guy I got paired up with. Says he golfs about 330 days a year (and i believe him). Works maybe a day or two a week.

Do you guys use blade or mallet putters when doing this? Naturally contact will suffer, but with a larger sweet spot maybe that can counter. I am still tentative to switch over during rounds though... I feel like if i were to miss it would be because i wasnt looking at the ball.

9.5* Cobra Bio Cell Matrix 6x3 Stiff
Mizuno EZ Forged 4-gw C Taper Stiff
Vokey 54.10 / 58.09
Scotty Golo 5

#76 SuperTwi

SuperTwi

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320435
  • Ebay ID:nighthike
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Never tried it. Confident in putting.

First thing I do is find where it's gonna break. Most putts for me are single breakers unless I'm far far away.

Then guess speed based on where I feel it'll break.

Then hit putt to where I think it'll break and hope that the speed is right.

I also pick out that break spot and move it a foot or two in front of the ball for aiming.  

I look at hole, then break spot, then ball then putt. But I do this all fairly quickly from first reading to putt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors