Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

USPS Boxes, Surcharged???

53 replies to this topic

#1 Joeypole

Joeypole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19986
  • Ebay ID:Joeypole
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Okay so I don't get this.  I received a club in a Priority Mail triangular box.  It was roughly 48 inches long.  Not a custom made one, but a true USPS Priority Mail 48 inch box.  So I pack it up real well as it is in really good shape.  Go to the PO to ship from NJ to CA and it comes up $16, no problem.  She measures the box and they surcharge me to $34.

So I'm asking ?  It's your box with Priority Mail all over the thing and I'm getting surcharged????

Sorry had to vent.  Topped off a wonderful day.

Edited by MrParr1Noid, 05 July 2011 - 11:50 PM.
Title edited/

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 eyeguy

eyeguy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60096
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Sorry to hear about that.  That's why I always do my USPS shipping online through ebay or paypal.  Slight discount and the post office never questions the cost.

#3 Stinger82

Stinger82

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82167
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

It must have come up as dim weight. I have had this happen to me before as well.
TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha
Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie
TM RBZ stage 2 w/ black tie
Titleist AP2 4-GW w/ dgs300
Bettinardi studio stock 5
Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

#4 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9834
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

View PostStinger82, on 05 July 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

It must have come up as dim weight. I have had this happen to me before as well.
It shouldn't if you are using one of their boxes.

I use the triangular boxes all the time and never have had a surcharge.

#5 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

I was told that is what they call a balloon charge . As expained to me if it goes on a plane the postal service pays by size. I live here in Md and was told if it goes past Miss. it goes on a plane and it asks for measurements of the box. If the total measurements go over a certain size you are hit with a balloon charge. They told me if it stayed on the East coast I wouldn't run into it. I ran into this a while back for the first time. I sold two L4V drivers and went to ship them on the same day.  One went to NC and the other out West. The Postal worker measured the one going out West and it came out to be $28. They didn't measue the other box  and it came out  around $11. After asking, that was how it was explained to me. The box going out West was a little longer. I had them put the measurement of the other box in as if it was going out West and it came up to around $13. So I left and switched the drivers and labels to the other boxes and when I returned shipped the box out West without the balloon charge and the larger box wasn't measured going to NC. Now that I am aware of the extra charges I use the larger boxes that I have for the East coast and boxes that a driver just fits into for the rest. I think it had to do with the size of the box. 48 inches probably put you over the total size and the balloon fee kicked in.

Edited by Greenie, 05 July 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#6 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 776

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

It can't be over 108 combined length + width + depth...... which translates to 48x6x6 as a max.  The people at the post office are trained to err on the side of bigger, so if it's 48.01 it goes in as 49 and what kills me is 6.01 since not all boxes are a perfect 6x6....... more so over the last year than before when they rarely even measured.  I've argued with them about it a few times when I thought I had a box perfect.

It does suck, and I've almost had to stop using them to ship drivers..... I'm always cutting down the boxes as much as possible.  TM is out of the question with the stock length.

#7 Joeypole

Joeypole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

I usually cut my boxes all down to length.  This was a no brainer.  Their box, no surcharge.

I got the response well you can try to make it smaller.  Well it has to go out today.  I'd rather pay the extra $20 then to tell a buyer, yeah sorry the post office is trying to bend me over so I'm gonna do it tomorrow.

Doing all my shipping through Paypal now.  I'm done with getting bent over.  

Atleast there you stand a chance of finding out what is too long.

With the way they describe it, 48 + 6 + 6 does not add up over 108

The bad thing is my father in law is a postal carrier and I know what they are dealing with, but I stop at this Post Office 3 times a week on average to ship clubs, ah yes the life of a club ho.  I dropped $85 in there last week on 5 boxes and thought that hurt.

#8 Johnny T

Johnny T

GolfWRX True Temper Test Panel

• 1,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77624
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

My buddy just shipped me a driver from west TX to VA and used one of the priority mail triangular boxes and got hit with that surcharge.  After getting hit with that dimensional weight a couple of times myself, I always check prices/buy shipping online before shipping something that may be close to the 108".  When I returned the driver to him, I shipped UPS and it saved me about $10.
Callaway Big Bertha V - Tour AD DJ-6
Callaway X Hot Pro - PXv
Nike Covert Tour - Kuro Kage 80
Titleist AP2 714 - Modus3 130
Nike VR Forged 54/58 - S400
Odyssey Versa #2 WBW

#9 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

View Posthighergr0und, on 05 July 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

It can't be over 108 combined length + width + depth...... which translates to 48x6x6 as a max.  The people at the post office are trained to err on the side of bigger, so if it's 48.01 it goes in as 49 and what kills me is 6.01 since not all boxes are a perfect 6x6....... more so over the last year than before when they rarely even measured.  I've argued with them about it a few times when I thought I had a box perfect.

It does suck, and I've almost had to stop using them to ship drivers..... I'm always cutting down the boxes as much as possible.  TM is out of the question with the stock length.

Yea, I like how the err on the side of bigger. I do mine online and I err on the side of not rounding it up when it is 48.01 or 6.01.

#10 vinny809

vinny809

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109748
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Where can you find those triangular boxes?  Are they free?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Stinger82

Stinger82

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

View Postvinny809, on 05 July 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

yep they are free. Just go to www.usps.com and you can order them and they will deliver them right to your house...NO CHARGE
TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha

#12 vinny809

vinny809

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109748
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

View PostStinger82, on 05 July 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postvinny809, on 05 July 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

yep they are free. Just go to www.usps.com and you can order them and they will deliver them right to your house...NO CHARGE

AWESOME!  Thanks for the heads up!

#13 kmoff77

kmoff77

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79618
  • Ebay ID:kmoff77
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Is this the box?  https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000724&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000033&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=Y&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000724

It's the longest one I can find at 38 inches.

#14 Pondy

Pondy

Happy Fourth of July

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77685
  • Ebay ID:btl
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

View Postkmoff77, on 05 July 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Is this the box?  https://shop.usps.co...&WT.ac=10000724

I've seen guys take 2 of those and splice them together.

#15 rumessingwitme

rumessingwitme

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114788
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

Ditto , Would love a link to the 48" box

#16 Stinger82

Stinger82

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

View PostPondy, on 05 July 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

I've seen guys take 2 of those and splice them together.

yep that's what I do. Put one box together then put another one together and cut it in half with a utility knife and you can put it right over top of the other whole box. I do it all the time and have received many clubs from people boxed up this way and never had an issue
TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha

#17 RJD

RJD

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108553
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

I would also like to know about any USPS box longer than 38".  Please let us know where these are, if they do exist.
913D AD BB 6s / R1 Kiyoshi White
913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
Cobra S3 Pro / MP 53
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Hoofer
Bettinardi BB54 / Ping Redwood Anser

#18 drstroud

drstroud

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6994
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

Never knew they'd drop them off free to you.  The description?

"A quick, easy and convenient way to ship Priority Mail packages or extremely urgent shipments, via Express Mail. This dual use shipping box offers the flexibility to use either service with one convenient package. This corrugated box is the perfect size for large drawings, fishing rods and golf clubs."
Adams Fast 12 LS Aldila DVS
Callaway Steelhead 3 ProLite
Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro Apex 4
MacGregor MT Don White 50, 54, 58
PING Anser BeNi

#19 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

i find that triangular golf boxes get hit with the surcharge most often, and square ones don't

#20 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

According to the people at both the local branch and in their customer service center for priority mail supplies, these aren't really their boxes, as I've tried a dozen times to order them.  I was finally told that they do not have or produce a 48 inch priority mail box, and the ones that I've gotten before are 3rd party that are made for specific accounts that they pay for.  Just what I was told by 2 supervisors at two different avenues.

That said, I always try to keep mine under 47.5 inches, as 48 inches seems to be the point where the prices go up.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Joeypole

Joeypole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the boxes.  This was the first 48" box I had seen.  I've seen a lot of the married two boxes to ship clubs, I just don't like using them.  

I'm a real believer in not using the online service unless it is through Ebay.  I don't use the self checkout at any store either.  I know what happens.  Some corporate YO YO sits at a computer all day and runs reports decides they don't need the current staff they have and cut back, I've seen it happen.

Like I said earlier I have family that works for USPS and I always like to use the counter in person to make the transaction.  It looks better for them and I don't have a problem with paying a couple extra dollars to help keep them working and Saturday mail delivery.  But after this one I'm done.  Everything is getting processed online and I'll drop it off on my way home.

My advice is to not use the triangular boxes.

#22 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostJoeypole, on 06 July 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

Thanks for the heads up on the boxes.  This was the first 48" box I had seen.  I've seen a lot of the married two boxes to ship clubs, I just don't like using them.  

I'm a real believer in not using the online service unless it is through Ebay.  I don't use the self checkout at any store either.  I know what happens.  Some corporate YO YO sits at a computer all day and runs reports decides they don't need the current staff they have and cut back, I've seen it happen.

Like I said earlier I have family that works for USPS and I always like to use the counter in person to make the transaction.  It looks better for them and I don't have a problem with paying a couple extra dollars to help keep them working and Saturday mail delivery.  But after this one I'm done.  Everything is getting processed online and I'll drop it off on my way home.

My advice is to not use the triangular boxes.

I commend you on your outlook about the corporate Yo Yo looking to cut jobs. I won't use the self checkout at stores either.
When it comes to my local Post Office the employees there don't want to do their jobs, some are rude and the service is bad. The one women always complains I havn't measured the box myself and have the measurements to give to her. They usually have three of the four counters open but when a long line forms two of the employees will always go on break. When I asked "why do you all go on break when it is busy" the one guy said "why would I want to take my break when I am not doing anything?' As someone mentioned they always err on the side on long with the measurements. A friend from work has had the same issues at his Post Office. He switched to online and loves it. I now do mine online. If they want me to do their work for them anyway, then I don't have a problem measuring the box, printing out my label, dropping it off without having to wait in line and getting a discount for doing it. I am all for saving jobs but you have to do your job  and give good service. I still think using USPS is the best way to ship but going to the Post Office to ship it the service is lousy.

#23 Joeypole

Joeypole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Here is a good one.  I sold a pool cue on Ebay about a month ago and I processed the shipment going to Canada through eBay.  Take it and drop it off at the post office.  Get a call from my father in law who says I have to come pick up up cause as of that morning they are no longer taking packages for Canada until the strike is over.

So I pick it up and was told to just bring it back when they came off strike.  I then contact the buyer and he says to hold it as it should last about a week.

They start accepting packages again and I drop it off at a different PO.  The woman (the friendly one from above) looks at the date on the package and says no I can't accept this.  I stated that I was instructed to bring it back after the strike was over.  She grabbed and supervisor and he just said no.  Didn't call anyone or look anything up just said no.  How's that for customer service?  

Basically I took I gave it to my father in law and told him to give it the guy who accepted it and returned it.  No problems, changed the date and good to go.  Now was that hard?

Online for me.  Doing one for this afternoon.

#24 hogan234

hogan234

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34358
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

USPS often charges a dimensional weight charge on rectangular boxes. On triangular boxes (if the clerk measures correctly), there is no charge. If you used a proper USPS box, it might have a barcode. Scanning the barcode might correct any surcharges. I actually had to teach my local Postal clerks to scan the code to get the proper size of the triangular boxes. I now ship anything heavy (set of irons) or drivers via UPS because of this possible surcharge.
Wishon 919THI 11*
TM Burner T3 14.5*
PRGR 200i 17*, Cobra Baffler 22*
Cleveland TA5 4-PW
Ping Eye 2 W, SW
Kingston KP1

#25 Joeypole

Joeypole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

I've sent 8 packages since then and they all have been done online.  Atleast I can see the surcharge.

I screwed around with measurements online to get an idea.  I shipped from my zip to 90210 (funny for those old enough to remember Dylan) from NJ and put measurements up to 52 x 6 x 6 and only cost $25.  So go figure.

I'm done with Walk-In blind shipping.  Everything is done online know.  If I'm over now I can find a smaller box or modify the one I have.

#26 Pondy

Pondy

Happy Fourth of July

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77685
  • Ebay ID:btl
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

"I'm done with Walk-In blind shipping.  Everything is done online know."

Totally agreed.  My experience recently has been that if you go in blind and hope the clerk doesn't rip you off, you are going to be disappointed.  Sad to say, but they seem to have been trained to screw you, if they can.

Sad day.....

#27 fiveltrstang

fiveltrstang

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53813
  • Ebay ID:6549george
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Same thing happened to me the other day.  Shipped a driver and got blindsided. Promised I would ship the club asap so I took a hit. Lessoned learned.

#28 pianoman0123

pianoman0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108157
  • Ebay ID:Lindseyrollings2009
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

I agree with online... just had this argument yesterday at the counter... I almost always use online but my printer ran out of ink and I needed to get the box out...  When I told her how much cheaper it was online she said it shouldn't be... and that the receiver should be getting a postage owed bill... NEVER had that happened to me, UNTIL yesterday when I got home a buyer emailed me and said they had to pay $3.30 to get the package!!!  I was like WOW... so I refunded him $4.00 and apologized... so make sure you post the correct weights and dimensions and online will ALWAYS be cheaper...

#29 willpeoples

willpeoples

THE WILL PEOPLES!

• Sponsors
  • 2,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53003
  • Ebay ID:The_Tour_Van
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have tried getting the 48" boxes from USPS.  Golfworks is the only company with them.  I finally found of how to get them from USPS, if you place an order for something like 16 pallets full! I asked how many that was and they said a Semi truck full...  haha. Ridiculous, they should offer them online.

And I agree, always do your labels online...

#30 saylor99

saylor99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118940
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

View Postwillpeoples, on 14 July 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

I have tried getting the 48" boxes from USPS.  Golfworks is the only company with them.  I finally found of how to get them from USPS, if you place an order for something like 16 pallets full! I asked how many that was and they said a Semi truck full...  haha. Ridiculous, they should offer them online.

And I agree, always do your labels online...

i don't have a good source for 48" triangular boxes, but I use ULINE for the 4 X 4 X 48 boxes and they are $1.00 each, minimum order 25, and I pay $15 shipping via UPS.  So I pay about $40 for 25 good quality boxes.   May not work for the occasional shipper, but works great for us higher volume guys.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors