Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 6 votes

favorite golf clothing brand?

348 replies to this topic

Poll: favorite golf clothing brand? (1145 member(s) have cast votes)

favorite brand

1. Nike (TW) (222 votes [19.39%])

Percentage of vote: 19.39%

2. Adidas (163 votes [14.24%])

Percentage of vote: 14.24%

3. Oakley (42 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

4. Puma (112 votes [9.78%])

Percentage of vote: 9.78%

5. Under Armor (83 votes [7.25%])

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

6. Travis Mathews (103 votes [9.00%])

Percentage of vote: 9.00%

7. Footjoy (52 votes [4.54%])

Percentage of vote: 4.54%

8. Ashworth (52 votes [4.54%])

Percentage of vote: 4.54%

9. PGA Tour (7 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

10. Other (123 votes [10.74%])

Percentage of vote: 10.74%

11. Lindeberg (62 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

12. Polo (85 votes [7.42%])

Percentage of vote: 7.42%

13. Hugo Boss (30 votes [2.62%])

Percentage of vote: 2.62%

14. Tommy Bahama (9 votes [0.79%])

Percentage of vote: 0.79%

when you play do you want to....

1. stand out (462 votes [40.35%])

Percentage of vote: 40.35%

2. blend in (322 votes [28.12%])

Percentage of vote: 28.12%

3. draw attention (143 votes [12.49%])

Percentage of vote: 12.49%

4. stay under the radar (218 votes [19.04%])

Percentage of vote: 19.04%

Vote

#61 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46727
  • Ebay ID:fisherj14
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

The Under Armour comment is regarding their entire line. They built their line on their double knit Cold Gear outerwear. Now, most tech companies have copied that, but UA still insists on using the least amount of yarn technology possible claiming that the "UA logo sells their clothes"...who can argue with them on their sales, but the quality of their stuff is awful.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

Ralph Lauren and Lacoste.

#63 808Grinder

808Grinder

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130628
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:29 AM

Where's Sansabelt and Pringle? hehe. The Hugo Boss and Bobby Jones stuff is nice.

#64 sgniwder99

sgniwder99

I'm chock-full of inner demons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107399
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

View PostChilidog, on 20 July 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

The Under Armour comment is regarding their entire line. They built their line on their double knit Cold Gear outerwear. Now, most tech companies have copied that, but UA still insists on using the least amount of yarn technology possible claiming that the "UA logo sells their clothes"...who can argue with them on their sales, but the quality of their stuff is awful.

Meh. I'd have to disagree with you there. My UA heat gear stuff performs better than any other similar product I've tried, and I've tried several. And I've had UA shirts and underwear last several years, so I'm not seeing any lack of quality in the construction, either. But to each his own, I guess...
Titleist 910D3 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 13 & 16.5 (RIP S)
Titleist 910H 19 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-9 (C-Taper S)
Nike Forged 48, 53, & 58* (DG S)
Cleveland Classic HB 1

#65 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

I work with their designers and merchandisers on yarn design in, so I pretty much know who is cheapening up a product to save a penny and who is not. UA is notorious for this. Their heat gear performs due to yarn size and construction. You'll notice that after you wash it several times, it doesn't wick like it once did and you'll notice your getting a little more wet in your shirt than you used to. That's because the wicking agent has been washed out. Nike and Adidas make VERY comparable products to UA. Your smaller end companies like Saucony, Brooks, etc. make much better products.

View Postsgniwder99, on 21 July 2011 - 05:57 AM, said:

Meh. I'd have to disagree with you there. My UA heat gear stuff performs better than any other similar product I've tried, and I've tried several. And I've had UA shirts and underwear last several years, so I'm not seeing any lack of quality in the construction, either. But to each his own, I guess...

#66 eagles1

eagles1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68674
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

I think Antigua "Desert Dry" line is very good stuff (and highly underrated).

Chillidog - I value your opinion.  For winter time I have Coldgear stuff by UA and think it is very good.  Do you agree or have they cheapened that line as well?  If so, who in your opinion makes the best product for cold weather gear that is similar to to UA in that it is not bulky?

Thanks in adance.

View PostChilidog, on 21 July 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

I work with their designers and merchandisers on yarn design in, so I pretty much know who is cheapening up a product to save a penny and who is not. UA is notorious for this. Their heat gear performs due to yarn size and construction. You'll notice that after you wash it several times, it doesn't wick like it once did and you'll notice your getting a little more wet in your shirt than you used to. That's because the wicking agent has been washed out. Nike and Adidas make VERY comparable products to UA. Your smaller end companies like Saucony, Brooks, etc. make much better products.

#67 Openwater22

Openwater22

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78259
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Just got a couple pair of Stromberg slacks that are awesome. Also wear tropical weight wool slacks from Jos A Bank, Zanella, Canali.

Addidas shorts fit the best. Any shirt brand in a fabric, pattern, color that catches my eye. Really like the new FJ base layer  for cold weather.

Cobra Bio Cell+ RT Technologies Ares LT
14* Yonex RT Technologies Ares LT
712 U 24*Modus and Muira 20* Fuji Fuel
714 AP2 5 thru PW Modus 120
Betti Triple Black BBZero Dass
Scratch 50* & 54* (SPN) 58* (LFC)

#68 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

eagles,

I actually wear their cold gear as well....along with Nike, Mizuno, Patagonia, Polartec, etc. They are one of my customers and I have to try everything out. They kind of reinvented cold gear when they first came to market, but the only thing that makes it special is the fabric construction, which is a hefty double knit with spandex. Since then, everyone in the industry has copied it, so their are a ton of brands that now have the same construction. A double knit construction is simply two fabrics that are knitted together so that it leaves a space between each fabric (which you would recognize as hefty or a little cooshier than other fabrics). Honestly, I haven't found anything better than what Polartec is doing. They specialize in cold gear and live and die by it's performance as a company. That's why they are the sole outfitters of our military when it comes to cold gear.

View Posteagles1, on 21 July 2011 - 08:32 AM, said:

I think Antigua "Desert Dry" line is very good stuff (and highly underrated).

Chillidog - I value your opinion.  For winter time I have Coldgear stuff by UA and think it is very good.  Do you agree or have they cheapened that line as well?  If so, who in your opinion makes the best product for cold weather gear that is similar to to UA in that it is not bulky?

Thanks in adance.

#69 phi435

phi435

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115507
  • Ebay ID:phi-435
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

almost exclusively adidas but mainly because i spend many weekends near an adidas outlet store. picked up some adipure salesman sample polos a few weeks back for $20. really like those.

#70 sgniwder99

sgniwder99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

I haven't noticed what you're talking about with the increased wetness, but in fairness I sweat to beat the band--to the point that it's something of a running joke among my friends, and source of horror to my girlfriend when I come home from the course or a joke and try to hug her--so I doubt any product would keep me anything like dry. If it just wicks the sweat to my outer layer where it can evaporate I'm pretty happy with that. And, like I said, UA does that better than anything else I've worn. But--again in the interest of fairness--I haven't worn things by Saucony or Brooks, and don't have the insider information that you do. So I'm sure you'd know more about that than me.

But when it comes to things like quality of construction, I'd still disagree with you on UA's quality. Little things like seam strength and durability of elastic waistbands are MUCH better in UA stuff than in other brands I've tried, and it's actually difficult to imagine anything being any better, since I've got several UA pieces that I've had for years and washed hundreds of times, and they still hold their shape and stretch perfectly. At any rate, if there is something out there that's better it really wouldn't be a difference that made a difference in that respect.

Cleveland Classic HB 1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

When I talk about quality, it's more to color than anything when it comes to construction. Most of these guys are using the same mills to run Nike, UA, Adidas, etc. If you want proof, just go to your local Dick's to the t-shirt table for the UA Tech tee. They'll be folded and stacked on each other. Look at the color of the rainbow you'll see in color shades. It's an inside joke in the industry that people actually will buy that when seeing the drastic color differences.

#72 sgniwder99

sgniwder99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostChilidog, on 21 July 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

When I talk about quality, it's more to color than anything when it comes to construction. Most of these guys are using the same mills to run Nike, UA, Adidas, etc. If you want proof, just go to your local Dick's to the t-shirt table for the UA Tech tee. They'll be folded and stacked on each other. Look at the color of the rainbow you'll see in color shades. It's an inside joke in the industry that people actually will buy that when seeing the drastic color differences.

That makes sense I suppose, since they all cost basically the same from what I've seen. And like I said, I'm sure that you know more about the yarn quality and such than I do. So I believe you (:hi:).

But, then, if they do all cost the same and have the same kind of fabric, then stuff like seam and elastic quality does start to matter, because the UA stuff is definitely better than those other brands in that sense. I've also found--for what it's worth--that UA's line is more varied in terms of fit, cut, and color (which does matter to me when it comes to a base layer).

So I guess all I'm saying is that I believe you that little companies like Brooks and Saucony are probably making better stuff (that is how little companies tend to survive, after all), but of the big brands that you are likely to find easily at the local big-box, I think UA is still putting out the best product. That may be faint praise after all, but it ain't nothing.

:drinks:

/threadjack
Cleveland Classic HB 1

#73 richster66

richster66

Always Under Par

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71928

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

There are way too many companies. For style there is peter millar and polo etc but those are pretty expensive. But also companies like dunning, puma etc make nice clothing for a decent price...and then theres loudmouth lol.

#74 robbo32

robbo32

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109629
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I love to look good when I go out on the course and I seem to always love what Adidas, Nike and Under Armour have to offer but my bank account doesn't always allow me to buy their products. I usually end up a Kohls getting a few of the polos or shorts made by Grand Slam Brand. It's still comfortable and looks good to me and for the price it suits me just fine.

#75 GolfBrotha#1

GolfBrotha#1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131494
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

Nike for me hands down. I live near a Nike outlet and get previous years merchandise for a crazy discount. Easily 50% off or more.

Edited by GolfBrotha#1, 22 July 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#76 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

I buy Zero Restriction whenever possible.  Their stuff is so functional and well made.
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#77 typhoonoid

typhoonoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133481
  • Ebay ID:typhoonoid
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

ricky fowler made me love puma lol

#78 chicagoben

chicagoben

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106954

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

I'm a big fan of the Ralph Lauren and RLX brands, because they're a nice balance.  They're a stylish twist on a very classic look.  Also, for me personally, they fit well.  I'm short (5'6") and most golf shirts have too much material.  These don't look good on someone of my (lack of) height - they look very baggy and shapeless.   The Polo and RLX shirts are cut a little trimmer and are much more flattering.  A good choice for shorter and/or thinner players.

#79 golferoz

golferoz

It's not how you play, but how you handle how you play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73985
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Gotta love the SWOOSH!!!!

#80 danpass

danpass

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39304
  • Ebay ID:danpass
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

just ordered another UA boxer short (9in) and two of their HeatGear caps.  How are the regular khaki shorts?

Edited by danpass, 26 July 2011 - 03:42 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 Biskit72

Biskit72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99090

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

What about SubSeventy that have great clothes

#82 Phelpz

Phelpz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131519
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

Cross sportwear australia for me

#83 jaygalindo

jaygalindo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49746
  • Ebay ID:izzysdaddy253

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

From head to toe Nike is most complete brand of golf clothing with Adidas a very close second.

#84 alexthegrrr8

alexthegrrr8

Aim high....score low!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4338
  • Ebay ID:cobragolffan

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Out of the list it would be Puma for me as I love their shoes and the hats aren't too shabby either although I do not wear the Monoline.

Sligo for me is the brand as they perform and fit well. Although I am wanting to give site sponsor Sub 70 a shot as well now that they are over here on this side of the pond... see Atlantic.

Alex

#85 greatish.ten

greatish.ten

White-tees & Nike-es

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129596

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

I don't really have a favorite brand... the only thing made for golf that I wear on the course are my hat (never wear baseball caps otherwise) and my shoes (Adipures).

And I still end up looking like a golfer. I already wear fitted dark plaid pants/khakis, even an off white pair. Just a fitted plain logoless t-shirt or bright Lacoste polo like I did before I ever even swung a golf club.

Even got the G-mac cardigans. Like I said, even before I ever considered golfing cool.

Posted Image

#86 LUMA

LUMA

Too Hard On Myself

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114517
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

Gotta say Puma and Sligo.
Titleist 910 D3 / Diamana Ahina 72 S
Taylormade R9 / OTR S
2005 Taylormade Rescue / OTR S
Titleist 710 CB PW-4 / DG S300
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant
Titleist Vokey 54/58 DG

#87 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1056

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

Nike and Travis Matthew
Sldr White
3w
Titleist 913H 17 Fubuki
Titleist AP2714
Titleist Vokey 54M 60S Indigo
Newport Select 2014

#88 shuddleston

shuddleston

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132450
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Adidas for me

#89 Uberish

Uberish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134998

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

I just started going out on the course but being a bit of clothes whore I've amassed enough to wear something new for at least a few outings.

Shirts - overall I like Puma, just wish they had a bigger selection that wasn't so Fruit Stripe gum looking. Also wish they'd offer more tech fabric selections as the ones I like tend to be cotton blends (I'll never wear cotton again since leaving the range looking like I took a bath). Nike shirts are a good middle of the road, albeit a bit boring. Under Armour is hit or miss for me, both in terms of style and fit. I like a lot of the Hugo Boss shirts design wise except for the giant Boss logo, totally ruins it for me. Once I get better I'll allow myself to look at the pricier options like JL, Sligo etc.

Pants - Hands down, Dunning. Every other brand I've tried on felt like I was in parachute pants. So bummed that they're in the process of selling the company and in limbo. Really hope whoever picks them up doesn't ruin it.

Shorts - Anything where the inseam isn't ridiculously long. I have shorter legs and really don't want to have to pay to get shorts hemmed. Kills my wallet and my self esteem. Tried on some JL's that were super nice but not willing to pay $60(sale price) for shorts...

#90 Stanley Mayhem

Stanley Mayhem

Rookie

• Spam
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136683
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

I look for comfort and color.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors