Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Ginty

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flipstah

flipstah

My clubs are older than I am.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131609
  • Ebay ID:flipstah2k3
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Does anyone still uses this in their bag?

I'm curious who's still "vintage" here at GolfWRX. I still have mine in my bag and I absolutely LOVE the club! Gets me out of the rough easier than any hybrid I've used.

:clapping:

Praise the real wood!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ping Player

Ping Player

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16175

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

Does the Louisville Niblick count? If so I play with mine often, the 4 wood is a great club!

#3 bamboobender

bamboobender

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

Don't have one , but (IMO) the Ginty was/ is a great trouble club. Ahead of it's time.

#4 honketyhank

honketyhank

Uncle Horace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68488
  • Ebay ID:honketyhank
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

I've got one stashed away somewhere. The original "trouble club". Seven wood loft, four wood shaft,  heavyweight boat keel sole. I am pretty sure that Callaway bought the patents from Stan Thompson (or his estate?) and then began the "warbird sole" models. Back in the day, they were deadly out of the rough from long distance. Nowadays we have hybrids. You can even find a ginty every now and then on eBay. Still worth having if you mess around with it and find its niche.

#5 flipstah

flipstah

My clubs are older than I am.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131609
  • Ebay ID:flipstah2k3

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I updated my Ginty for 2011 with a Crossline midsize grip and I absolutely LOVE it! It bombed on a Par 4.

I could've had an eagle but I choked, screwed up a crucial chip and 3-putt for a bogey.

#6 Hofnar

Hofnar

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120875
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Used mine yesterday. http://retrogolf.blo...dalig-golf.html

#7 Shallowface

Shallowface

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

View Postflipstah, on 27 June 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

Does anyone still uses this in their bag?

I'm curious who's still "vintage" here at GolfWRX. I still have mine in my bag and I absolutely LOVE the club! Gets me out of the rough easier than any hybrid I've used.

:clapping:

Praise the real wood!

I used a Ginty quite a bit in the late 70s/early 80s. It was remarkable how far one could hit those considering they had 29 degrees of loft.

Unfortunately, the sole plate went flying down the range one evening. I know in later years they put a bolt through the crown to better secure those plates.

One of my recent thrift store finds ($2 each)is a set of Cobra Bafflers (3/5/7) with the thick railed brass soleplates. The difference is, the heads on these are graphite instead of laminated wood.  

The amazing thing to me is, the 5 wood has about 22 degrees of loft, yet I can hit it further than any 18 degree metal 5 wood I have ever had.  High, straight and equally great from fairway, rough and bare dirt. The 7 Wood has about 26 degrees of loft and goes about as far as a 19 degree metal wood. And the shafts on these are shorter than what is typical today as well.

From my personal experience, I have never believed that metal fairway woods were superior to those made of wood, and they're not superior to these graphite heads either.

I would love to see an apples to apples comparison of a 43 inch steel shafted titanium driver to a 43 inch steel shafted persimmon driver.  No doubt the larger clubhead would be more forgiving, but how would they stack up against each other on dead center hits?

#8 super20dan

super20dan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

i have an old wood cobra baffler i can just kill too. for gintys i have graphite-wood and steel -even arare metal driver ginty. gintys can save you when playing from thick bermuda rough here in florida. still a use for these

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors