Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do high-end putters make a difference?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Juaneo

Juaneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125580
  • Ebay ID:Juaneo1968
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hi all, here's a silly question.....assuming a decent putting stroke, would a $30 putter make just as many putts than, say, a $330 Scotty Cameron putter?  I know people talk a lot about feel, but if you can learn to control the distance with your $30 putter correctly, shouldn't it do the same job as the $330.  Any misses would be chalked up to bad shot alignment, no?  Just wondering because I'm looking for a new putter.  Thanks for the input guys (and gals).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Putting is about confidence, and to the extent a high end putter makes you more confident over the ball, then yes, they make a difference.  That said, most guys I know are either good putters or bad putters, and a good putter can generally putt pretty well with anything that's properly fit to them.

#3 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

You mention feel and I will chime in.  

I made the switch this year to a Piretti and without a doubt...its the best club purchase I've ever made for my game.  My previous putter had an insert on the face, I couldn't really tell or "feel" where my misses where on the face.  But with my new putter, I can instantly feel where I need to correct my stroke.

So...to answer your question, I think they make a difference, esp. if they are properly fitted to you.

#4 IIdiceII

IIdiceII

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78700
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

a 5000 dollar camerons gonna putt the same as a 300 dollar cameron (assuming theyre both fit to you) and they'll both putt the same as a 50 dollar cleveland classic series. its the most personal aspect of the game. whatever works!

#5 mastapp

mastapp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95520
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

No.  I can't believe I'm saying that either, because I hit drivers less than $100 and my irons were less than $200.

But...I had my Cameron out of commission and pulled out my old Nike OZ Blue Chip mallet.  I didn't make a putt outside of 8 feet and had absolutely no distance control.  It is really worth it to have a quality putter, it doesn't have to be a $300 Cameron, but I'd at least get a name brand putter to be sure on the quality.

#6 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9834
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

I putt equally bad with any putter, but I love the feel of my bad putts with a quality putter and I enjoy picking up a cool Mills...

#7 jswaykos

jswaykos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122756
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

I'm by no means a good putter, but I can tell a difference between a $10 hunk of metal and my Odyssey 2-ball (or any putter, for that matter).  I feel like the two putters I have (the other is an older Yes Tiffany) are at least consistent in how the ball comes off the face.  When I use my buddy's cheap no-name putter the ball seems wildly unpredictable.  Probably because I'm not used to it, but I don't like it at all.

#8 tigerlipp

tigerlipp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131471
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

It is more about the feel and getting the putt right. Asthetically must appeal to you as well. Cheers!!

#9 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,977 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

High end putters don't make a difference - a fifty dollar putter plays just as well.  Obviously, high end putters give your more custom options but that isn't necessarily better.
Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#10 Fontona19

Fontona19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107912
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

I think that there is a "right" putter for everyone. It just so happens that the ones I like are above average price wise.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 fatmouse

fatmouse

AAAAAAAAAAARGH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35909
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

all you're paying for is feel and design, functionally it will do the same thing

theres probably a point of diminishing returns. to me, a $100 ping feels and looks much better than a $20 kmart putter, but i've owned a circle T and i couldn't tell the difference between that and an off the rack cameron.

#12 golfdu

golfdu

Lefties are legit!

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85814
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:15 AM

Well, it depends on aim, which is the most first important thing to getting the ball started on-line. You cannot aim every putter the same, it always depend on head shape and combinations. The best of combining those shapes, hosels, etc., is Edel Golf. Here is an Edel Putter fitting example and what they do to get the putter to match your aim squarely.

The bad thing is, it'll hurt your bank account by $375-$800 depending on which version you buy (Basic, Variable Weights, and Variable Lofts Series)  :black eye:

Edited by golfdu, 24 June 2011 - 01:18 AM.

#13 WhiZ

WhiZ

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87256
  • Ebay ID:majorwhiz8gnd
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

I'd putt with a $10 putter if it made more putts for me...

That being said, I find that the putter that tends to 'feel' the best for me also tends to be the most expensive in the store. :\ That's OK, though - my wife is the same with purses. :D

WhiZ

#14 300 Yarder

300 Yarder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131287
  • Ebay ID:EillosNivek
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

The best thing I ever did was take 34 inch putter to 32 inches. Really putting a lot better now that it fits me.

#15 swbyps

swbyps

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54354
  • Ebay ID:bkammons
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

It all boils down to this....they make a difference if you think they  make a difference. If you believe that $330 buys you more made putts  than $30, then it makes a difference. In general terms, a $330 putter  will probably be of better quality and have better feel, but if it  doesnt make more putts for you then is it really worth $330 to you? Do  you buy a putter based solely on how you putt with it, or is name,  brand, and status a factor? Its just an individual decision.

Edited by swbyps, 24 June 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#16 hacker02

hacker02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130041

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Probably not a ton of difference between a $100 name brand putter and a $300 name brand putter but I would say there is a huge difference between a cheap dunlop and a decent priced odyssey/ping/cameron/bettinardi.  If you take two golfers with the exact same skill level and gave one of them a dunlop and the other a name brand putter I would be willing to bet that you would see concrete evidence supporting the name brand putter.  That being said, you can still get the job done with either if you practice like heck with whatever you have but why not get something that feels better for a little extra cash?.

#17 Houstonhacker

Houstonhacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129048
  • Ebay ID:houstonhacker

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

My wife recently gave me a Scotty Newport 2 as a surprise. It makes me want to putt better and not write off three-putts as "just golf". Also, if you have to explain to someone the feeling you get from using a top-quality tool, then they'll never understand.

#18 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28133
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostJuaneo, on 23 June 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

Hi all, here's a silly question.....assuming a decent putting stroke, would a $30 putter make just as many putts than, say, a $330 Scotty Cameron putter?  I know people talk a lot about feel, but if you can learn to control the distance with your $30 putter correctly, shouldn't it do the same job as the $330.  Any misses would be chalked up to bad shot alignment, no?  Just wondering because I'm looking for a new putter.  Thanks for the input guys (and gals).
All a putter needs to be is - fit you and give you confidence. Cost has no bearing on either.

Edited by golfbum9, 24 June 2011 - 12:24 PM.

#19 divot46

divot46

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 552

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

I would have to say yes. I'm gaming a Never Comp Z/I Sigma that I bought for $25. Never putted better in my life. It just fits me. Although my latest acquisition might give it a run ---- a $30 Carbite ZC....

#20 boconnor811

boconnor811

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76384
  • Ebay ID:boconnor811
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

Was putting pretty well early this year with my 2-ball and oversized super-stroke grip.  My friends making fun of the putter finally got to me and I switched to a real nice Piretti, I just can't get used to it and definitely haven't putted near as well since the switch.  Moral of the story - Stick with what works, who cares what it looks like or what anyone thinks about it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Boxol

Boxol

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106472

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

I would also say YES....

If your worried about money do yourself a favor.....

Go out and buy a New Cleveland Classic with a Milled face.  They are by far the best bang for your buck ATM.  They also offer just about any shape you want and you should be able to find them for $89 bucks in most places!!!!!

http://www.cleveland...US_putters.html

#22 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

View Postfatmouse, on 24 June 2011 - 01:06 AM, said:

all you're paying for is feel and design, functionally it will do the same thing

theres probably a point of diminishing returns. to me, a $100 ping feels and looks much better than a $20 kmart putter, but i've owned a circle T and i couldn't tell the difference between that and an off the rack cameron.

That's because there is no difference, at least with the studio select line.

To the OP, really, the answer is a qualified no. If the $30 putter matches your stroke, feels like you want a putter to feel, and gives you the confidence to go out and put the ball in the  hole, it's done its job--just like every other piece of equipment. The point of all of this is to hit the ball in the hole in the fewest number of shots, not to play the most expensive equipment. However, the likelihood that a $30 putter does all that you need it to do is pretty low. For example, if the face of the putter weren't consistently flat, that would be one thing that, although you could putt fine, would make it less likely that you repeat the same shot 2 times in a row with nearly the same swing. Another example, if the aiming line weren't pointed perpendicular to the face--not likely, but it can happen with some low quality equipment.

The reason people spend a lot (and i do mean A LOT) of money on golf equipment is that they're all trying to find something that gives the right amount of feedback on mishits while not punishing you to an unacceptable extent for making a mishit. For some guys, that margin is very small (ie, people who play blade irons); for others, it's very large (ie, people who play game improvement irons).

The point of spend $330 on a putter is to get something that you perceive gives you the desired amount of feedback on both centered and off-centered hits. If a $30 putter does that--sold! If not, it may take a little more dailing in to get it just right. That's why guys on here know their desired putter loft, lie, head weight, shaft length, shaft weight, grip style, head style, and on and on and on. To get something just right, it might cost more than just $30. But, like most here said, if it works for you, that is ALL that matters.

#23 ash26600

ash26600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128181

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Mine is only a $100 Odyssey, bought as a superceeded model, but I certainly wouldn't go cheaper. I think the consistancy in production is a big factor. I have a $40 'Dynacast' at home and the aiming marks aren't even straight, also the casting is inconsistant/crooked.

#24 Kidfixer

Kidfixer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113907

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:38 AM

Of course they do, otherwise they wouldn't make them. :rolleyes:     I purchased a Byron Morgan DH 89 Damascus Putter for $3200.00.  Not only does it make me feel better about myself as a person, but now EVERY putt I hit goes right into the hole...I don't even have to aim!!   In fact, I like to kiss it before each putt...much like Judge Smails kisses his "Billy Baroo" in Caddyshack. :D

OK, I'm lying....if I dropped that kind of coin on a putter I'd be in divorce court the next day!!  
I've experimented with a few different styles of putters, but never used ANYTHING over $150.  I find (for me) a blade putter works best, and I really liked the look of the Odyssey Black Tour Series...so that's what I went with (on sale, of course).  Do I putt better with it than with my old $25 Acushnet Bulls Eye putter...slightly.  Would I putt even better with a flatstick costing two, three, or five times as much?  Probably not.

THIS is the "high-end" putter to buy...

Posted Image

Edited by Kidfixer, 01 July 2011 - 01:51 AM.

#25 OrlandoSean

OrlandoSean

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104546
  • Ebay ID:holedout2010
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

Equipment manufacturers like Scotty Cameron use tighter tolerances and more exact specs along with higher quality control standards to ensure more consitency throughout their product line then say a Snake Eyes putter. WIth that being said I think if you find a putter that works for you then by all means use it. I think SC's putters are a bit over priced because of the name. Every manufacturer uses the same head designs so its not like that some revolutionary product. Club ho's just think its cooler to have a blue tinted with custom pink paint filled putter with a white shaft and aligator grip. Go with what works for you.

#26 cmrl1986

cmrl1986

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95163
  • Ebay ID:cmrl1986
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:15 AM

I'm still putting with the same SC Mil spec that I got 7 years ago for $60 off someone. It was beat to hell, so I finally sent it in for a refurb over the winter. Now it looks as good as it feels!
PING i20 8.5*stiff
Cleveland Launcher 2006 13*
Cleveland 588CB 3-PW w/S300
Cleveland 588 chrome 50*
Cleveland 588 RTG 56 & 62
Cleveland Classic milled #1

#27 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Within reason I dont think their is much difference once you get round the $100 mark and its fitted properly, then it becomes a question of personal preference.

I am not sure but it looks like plenty of tour pros play what at least looks like a bog standard odyssey  or the like(sure its been fettled a bit), for example Luke Donald and his number 7, think its a $100 white hot, even a bit of a whacky non conventional design

#28 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

View PostOrlandoSean, on 01 July 2011 - 01:57 AM, said:

Equipment manufacturers like Scotty Cameron use tighter tolerances and more exact specs along with higher quality control standards to ensure more consitency throughout their product line then say a Snake Eyes putter. WIth that being said I think if you find a putter that works for you then by all means use it. I think SC's putters are a bit over priced because of the name. Every manufacturer uses the same head designs so its not like that some revolutionary product. Club ho's just think its cooler to have a blue tinted with custom pink paint filled putter with a white shaft and aligator grip. Go with what works for you.
Sorry, but the first half is inaccurate. Just because and OTT putter has a higher MSRP, does not mean the brand as a whole has "tighter tolerances and more exact specs along with higher quality control standards to ensure more consitency throughout their product line".... simply a huge marketing budget.

#29 taylor714914

taylor714914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132119
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

I found that the proper head shape was much more a factor than the manufacturer.  While trying different putters out, I couldn't hit a decent putt with a blade style, but once I moved to more of a mallet style, I could drain them with anything from a Nike to Odyssey to Scotty or Cleveland.  Then it simply came down to feel.

#30 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

View Posttaylor714914, on 02 July 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

I found that the proper head shape was much more a factor than the manufacturer.  While trying different putters out, I couldn't hit a decent putt with a blade style, but once I moved to more of a mallet style, I could drain them with anything from a Nike to Odyssey to Scotty or Cleveland.  Then it simply came down to feel.
Agreed. So would you say that the overall balance and how the mallet swings come into play for you as well?
I always thought they "swing" differently and also believe that the balance of the club is as important as the head shape.
When we find the one that suits our eye, swings "right" at the length which is comfortable, then it's just a matter of the correct lie angle and you're done :good:

Edited by golfbum9, 02 July 2011 - 10:43 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors