Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My chances for college golf

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nattygolf

nattygolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131324
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

I am a rising junior in high school and i hope to play college golf. Currently i am an 8 hcp but my scores are getting lower and lower as weeks go by. My last 2 scores (in the mens group at my home coures) are 79 and 76 but i shot 91 from the tips at harbour town golf links.
I work very hard on my game (went from 20 hcp to 8 in 1 year) and i am getting ready for the tournaments i will play later this summer. I practice my short game and my putting often and i love the game.
Unfortunately, i started playing last year and im worried i started too late to play college golf. I live in South Carolina and there are many small schools in my area, many of whom i am interested in playing golf for. Did i start too late to play in college? Should i bother sending a letter to any small schools in my area?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 benthegolfer

benthegolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64748
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

I would definitely ask. The worst anyone can say is no, ad even then, you could try to walk on in your later years.
Taylormade SLDR 9.5 UST Attas T2 6X
Taylormade RBZ TP 14.5 MRC Kuro Kage 70X
Adams A12 Pro 18,20 Matrix Ozik Altus S
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Vokey SM5 54, 60 Project X 6.0

#3 cmrl1986

cmrl1986

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95163
  • Ebay ID:cmrl1986
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

If you're serious about it, tell you golf coach. Have him send out your tournament scores and highlights. You should do the same yourself. The best way to get exposure is tournaments. I'm sure their is AJGA around you, look into it. It seems like your scores may still be a bit to high right now, but if you can continue to improve, a smaller school should have no problem pickin you up. If you can get it down to where you're shooting 73-76 consistently, you'll play college, maybe not D-1, but certainly D-2. Good luck!
Taylormade SLDR 430 9* w/ Tour AD-BB 7X
Cleveland Launcher 13* w/Aldila proto
Cleveland 588CB 3-PW w/S300
Cleveland 588 chrome 50*
Cleveland 588 RTG 56 & 62
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

#4 chamgel2

chamgel2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49693
  • Handicap:5.1
  • Ebay ID:ndtitanfan
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

View Postnattygolf, on 23 June 2011 - 08:41 AM, said:

I am a rising junior in high school and i hope to play college golf. Currently i am an 8 hcp but my scores are getting lower and lower as weeks go by. My last 2 scores (in the mens group at my home coures) are 79 and 76 but i shot 91 from the tips at harbour town golf links.
I work very hard on my game (went from 20 hcp to 8 in 1 year) and i am getting ready for the tournaments i will play later this summer. I practice my short game and my putting often and i love the game.
Unfortunately, i started playing last year and im worried i started too late to play college golf. I live in South Carolina and there are many small schools in my area, many of whom i am interested in playing golf for. Did i start too late to play in college? Should i bother sending a letter to any small schools in my area?

I started when I was 15, started playing the Junior Tour at 17, and did not play for the high school due to having to carry a job to pay for my auto insurance, golf, etc.., and was able to get a full ride.  Had numerous offers during my senior year, and finally accepted one the summer after my senior year.  I would start sending letters now with your past tournament results, showing improvement.   It would not hurt to make a video of your swing and put it on a disk to mail as well.  I'd follow up with a letter each quarter showing the progress you've made.  Play in as many tournaments as you can, I had NUMEROUS college coaches tell me they look at AJGA and local state junior tournaments more then the high school tournaments because of the level of competition.  Ping used to have a college golf guide that had the address most every college golf program in the country.  I also wouldn't just keep it local as you mentioned.  I'm from Tennessee and ended up playing college golf in Missouri.  If you need any advice, or anything I can do to help feel free to PM me anytime.  DO NOT let anyone tell you that you started too late.  Work hard enough and send the letters, play in tournaments, and your college education will come free of charge.

Edited by chamgel2, 23 June 2011 - 09:13 AM.

Cally 2Deep 12.5 Diamana Kai'li 70
Cally 3Deep 13.5 Diamana Kai'li 70
Ping Anser 17 & 20* Hybrid TFC 800
Titleist 714 AP2  5-PW KBS Tour
Vokey SM5 50/56/60 KBS
Seemore mFGP2 black carbon

#5 golfinguy978

golfinguy978

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2583
  • Ebay ID:golfinguy978
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

play some tournaments to get yourself acclimated to the tournament setting.  if you can become a solid low single (3 or less) i would say you have a shot at most D3 schools as a 5 man.  some of the schools down there are pretty solid though.  send a letter to coaches and ask what they are looking for too.  some schools are better than others.

#6 cwglum

cwglum

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22234
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

There are plenty of schools that have scholarships out there for varying levels of athletic ability, but you also have to consider the value of the diploma you'll be working towards.  Degrees from Ypsitucki U ... probably don't have the end job prospects that a larger school can offer.

#7 generaljhc

generaljhc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93095
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

D2, D3.NAIA in SC

Search Results Official School NameCommon School NameCityStateAllen UniversityAllen UniversityColumbiaSCAnderson UniversityAnderson (SC)AndersonSCBenedict CollegeBenedictColumbiaSCCoker CollegeCokerHartsvilleSCErskine CollegeErskine CollegeDue WestSCLander UniversityLander U.GreenwoodSCLimestone CollegeLimestoneGaffneySCNewberry CollegeNewberryNewberrySCNorth Greenville UniversityNorth GreenvilleTigervilleSCSouthern Wesleyan UniversitySouthern WesleyanCentralSCUniversity of South Carolina AikenSouth Carolina AikenAikenSCUniversity of South Carolina BeaufortUSC BeaufortBlufftonSC

Several good teams in their divisions....as stated above...shoot 73-76 in 2-3 day tournaments and you will get a look. Contact schools... you have time to get noticed by D2, D3, NAIA schols

Edited by generaljhc, 23 June 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#8 codylowrygolf

codylowrygolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7949
  • Handicap:0.8
  • Ebay ID:emo1082
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

All the advice above is good. Persobal practice, national and regional junior events, letters, coaches help. Figure out how much of all that you need and double it.

So to not be super redundant, I wanted to post mostly for added motivation.

Google JOHN KIMBELL PGA. He didn't start playing until he was 21 and now he plays full time on the Nationwide Tour. It's never too late. You just need to be insanely focused at your goal and not let ANYTHING get in your way. Expect sacrifice. Believe that you can accomplish things you have never done. Be determined to get better, every single day... You can do it.

Go get em!

#9 unc=champs

unc=champs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81562
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Best advice I could give you is play in as many tournaments that you can. Not sure where you are from but fall golf and spring golf are very different. When I went to play in college the conditions are very different.

#10 Alexxx

Alexxx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128021
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

If you are 100% completely serious:

1) Save all your money
2) Find the best teacher in your area
3) Work at a course a few days to get free golf and pay for tourneys
4) Play golf every single day, about 8 hrs a day in the summer
5) Play every local tourney, us jr am and state am
6) play with kids better and longer than you
7) workout
8)learn how to win

You do that for two years, you can have a good chance at a lot of schools

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 FarFromScratch

FarFromScratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74130
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thought I'd add some encouragement. My brother started playing golf as a senior in HS and was basically a low 90s player. He'd always been a really good baseball player and may have had an opportunity to play at a smaller college but really fell in love with golf. After 2 years of junior college he decided he wanted to go somewhere to play golf. He'd never played in any tournaments and his lowest recorded round was a 75, but low 90s was still a definite possibility depending on the day. Anyway, he just emailed all the coaches at smaller schools in our state and ended up getting a partial scholarship. Fast-forward to today and he's getting to play Pebble Beach as a golf team fundraiser trip. Definitely don't think it's impossible to play somewhere, no matter your prior accomplishments.

#12 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
GolfWRX Likes : 775

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

start off at a JC

#13 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3300

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

The difference between success and failure is persistence. Don't let anyone quote you the odds.
Mizuno Mp 630 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Aldila Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX 6.5 Satin Prototype
Mizuno Mp T5 52, 58/DG s400 black chrome
Odyssey Tank #7
WITB Link

#14 MRadix

MRadix

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts