Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Impact Snap! device, anyone used it?

134 replies to this topic

#61 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125579
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostAtrayn, on 12 June 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Here's the part about it for me that was an Epiphany....

The motion itself, makes you feel like you are hitting a hold off punch shot. You will swear that you can't possibly get the club face square. It feels like the face will remain open and you'll block it right.
However, the ulnar deviation combined with palmar flexion you create actually closes the face and gives you all the "down" you need in your swing.

Here's the part that is hard to deal with if you are a flipper.
It feels like there is a lot of hand manipulation and it will be hard to stay committed. In actuality, this device creates much more stability & consistency in the whole hands, wrists & forearm package at impact.

Do you still feel like you swing to right field?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Absolutely not. That's the advice from a PGA pro 25 years ago that got me in this predicament in the first place...
Edit - to be honest, I believe that used to be a default answer to anyone that had slice tendencies as a band aid.
That, and roll the right forearm over.

Edited by Atrayn, 12 June 2017 - 09:03 AM.

Callaway DBD w/ Aldila Rogue silver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

#63 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostAtrayn, on 12 June 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Absolutely not. That's the advice from a PGA pro 25 years ago that got me in this predicament in the first place...

I must not be using it correctly, because I fell like it takes my path left.  My instinct to combat that is swinging out to the right.

#64 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostJohn Kreese, on 12 June 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

I must not be using it correctly, because I fell like it takes my path left.  My instinct to combat that is swinging out to the right.

Are you speaking about hand path? Club head?
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#65 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostAtrayn, on 12 June 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

View PostJohn Kreese, on 12 June 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Are you speaking about hand path? Club head?

Club head.

#66 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

The club head should be square to the arc and going left naturally at impact. Done correctly, it will feel miles different than what you have previously done.
However, on full swings, everything leading up to impact must be in the correct position to have this work. For instance, if you suck the club inside without the right hip rotating back, you are stuck from the get go. Your body will outrace your arms to the ball, and your body will stall to let them catch up.

If you are a natural athlete with great timing you can play decent golf this way, however you will just lack consistency especially in your iron play.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#67 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2092

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

Just got one, pretty cool device. My release was pretty close but I really like the lag aspect with the sound. I'm having a hard time transferring to a full swing since all the weight on a real club is in the head and the way you use it is to stop right after impact.

How have you guys successfully transferred it to your full swing? Obviously you can't stop right after impact when you swing fully...
Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#68 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

IMHO,

The "snap" portion is designed basically as another tool for those that release too early. The key is the right elbow position and keeping it near the hip. If you do, and most importantly maintain your posture, especially tilt away, the release "snap" occurs almost naturally. If you come out of posture, your brain will automatically auto-correct and you'll dump it all early. This unloads the shaft and decreases club head speed. Think of the ulnar devation (uncocking) & palmar flexion (bowing) of the wrist just like what you do to crack a whip. It's that little bit of extra snap that makes whip end break the sound barrier. You can't achieve the crack by swinging your arm faster. It's the quick flick of the wrist, combined with stopping the wrist motion abruptly.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#69 scopek

scopek

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285042
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

View PostAtrayn, on 13 June 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

IMHO,

The "snap" portion is designed basically as another tool for those that release too early. The key is the right elbow position and keeping it near the hip. If you do, and most importantly maintain your posture, especially tilt away, the release "snap" occurs almost naturally. If you come out of posture, your brain will automatically auto-correct and you'll dump it all early. This unloads the shaft and decreases club head speed. Think of the ulnar devation (uncocking) & palmar flexion (bowing) of the wrist just like what you do to crack a whip. It's that little bit of extra snap that makes whip end break the sound barrier. You can't achieve the crack by swinging your arm faster. It's the quick flick of the wrist, combined with stopping the wrist motion abruptly.

Great posts, Atrayn. I purchased one and just started working with it. The release to impact part I get and will just need reps. But how do you use it past impact, if you even do?

#70 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

View Postscopek, on 13 June 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

View PostAtrayn, on 13 June 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

IMHO,

Great posts, Atrayn. I purchased one and just started working with it. The release to impact part I get and will just need reps. But how do you use it past impact, if you even do?

If you look on Youtube you'll find all sorts of videos on different ways it's used. I haven't focused on post impact because honestly, if done correctly, that final move gives you the post impact extension everyone is looking for. Just keep rotating up into a full finish position. The arms will feel like they are going more up while the elbows fold and wrists re-c0ck.

Also, keep in mind, there are several ways of getting this impact position. The latest and greatest is the extreme bowing of the left wrist at the beginning of the swing, or at the top or during transition. The impact portion may not benefit you in this case. Then it may be useful for only the "snap" feedback.

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

#TheWRX

• 7,891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6020

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Its a great training aid. Its shown me quickly that what I thought was a proper release was not.
Callaway EPIC 10* - Diamana W 60X
Callaway EPIC SZ 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ Blue 80X
Callaway 2018 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 120 (on order)
Callaway MD Forged 52, 56, 60 - Nippon Pro Modus Wedge 125
Odyssey Toulon Garage San Diego
Callaway Chrome Soft

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Srixon Z-Star Series Test Panel 2013
Tensei CK Blue Test Panel 2015
#TheWRX 2016

#72 sbark

sbark

• 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4282
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

trying to figure out a adaptor to use threads on bottom to attach a iron head for face reference to bottom of impact snap....worth messing with?

#73 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4174

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Though I don't own an impact snap, I've watched the videos on it.    I've been doing Tyler Ferrell's zorro drills and it appears to pretty much accomplishes what the impact snap does plus.

You use a club and it not only gives the impact motion but also the shallowing of the club at the top.    You do the drill standing straight up with the club in front of you and then translate it to your swing via freezers/pump/ etc.  

Tyler's golf smart academy has that drill plus loads of others and offers a free 7 day trials.

#74 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

View Postsbark, on 13 June 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

trying to figure out a adaptor to use threads on bottom to attach a iron head for face reference to bottom of impact snap....worth messing with?

View Postglk, on 13 June 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Though I don't own an impact snap, I've watched the videos on it. I've been doing Tyler Ferrell's zorro drills and it appears to pretty much accomplishes what the impact snap does plus.

You use a club and it not only gives the impact motion but also the shallowing of the club at the top. You do the drill standing straight up with the club in front of you and then translate it to your swing via freezers/pump/ etc.  

Tyler's golf smart academy has that drill plus loads of others and offers a free 7 day trials.

With all due respect, just watched the practice zorro loop he performs and at impact he is nowhere near the impact position the impact snap provides....
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#75 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4174

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostAtrayn, on 13 June 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Though I don't own an impact snap, I've watched the videos on it. I've been doing Tyler Ferrell's zorro drills and it appears to pretty much accomplishes what the impact snap does plus.

You use a club and it not only gives the impact motion but also the shallowing of the club at the top. You do the drill standing straight up with the club in front of you and then translate it to your swing via freezers/pump/ etc.  

With all due respect, just watched the practice zorro loop he performs and at impact he is nowhere near the impact position the impact snap provides....
But you haven't tried it.   Would be interested to hear about differences.

In the loop part, you get ulnar deviation and palmar flexion of the lead wrist and not really much supination of the lead forearm but then again it's not a swing when done as a drill with the first part getting you the sense of the arm movement to shallow the club in transition.       So what does the impact snap do?   I thought it was ulnar deviation, flexion and supination?   Something else?

Edited by glk, 13 June 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#76 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

View Postglk, on 13 June 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

View PostAtrayn, on 13 June 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

But you haven't tried it.   Would be interested to hear about differences.

In the loop part, you get ulnar deviation and palmar flexion of the lead wrist and not really much supination of the lead forearm but then again it's not a swing when done as a drill with the first part getting you the sense of the arm movement to shallow the club in transition.    So what does the impact snap do?   I thought it was ulnar deviation, flexion and supination?   Something else?

I did it in my office. That drill was more of a transition drill. Not really much on the supination (forearm roll) with impact snap. The right forearm needs to act more like a piston straightening the arm. There is some slight supination but this is caused by the left hand knuckles turning under. The upper arm does not rotate in the shoulder socket.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#77 ofortuna

ofortuna

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378320
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

That ulnar deviation move feels so odd.  Never did that before so I guess I never really released the club.  I'm assume with a real club, the ulnar deviation "snap" is a result of the swinging motion.

Someone mentioned the Tyler guy's golfsmartacademy site.  I've been spending a lot of time there lately and he has some incredible videos - all for free (trial).  Will check out the zorro vid now.

Any recommendations for the guy who has always held off the release?

#78 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

View Postofortuna, on 13 June 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

That ulnar deviation move feels so odd.  Never did that before so I guess I never really released the club.  I'm assume with a real club, the ulnar deviation "snap" is a result of the swinging motion.

Someone mentioned the Tyler guy's golfsmartacademy site.  I've been spending a lot of time there lately and he has some incredible videos - all for free (trial).  Will check out the zorro vid now.

Any recommendations for the guy who has always held off the release?

Have to be really careful about assigning "the UD snap" a result of the swing motion. Basically, I'm trying to push the crease of the bottom middle of my right hand into the base of the left thumb while turning the left knuckles under.
This "thought" helps to also maintain the bent right wrist thru impact.

I think I posted this before, but Martin Chuck has a good video:
https://youtu.be/IokK-da5H_Y
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#79 Shane1

Shane1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171434
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:11 AM

https://youtu.be/6_36L45RkCs
Find the extreme's and go directly in between.

#80 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261162
  • Handicap:oo
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

I have a terrible problem with flipping my wrists, hitting "at" the ball (i.e. early release). I'm always looking for tips to help me, certainly Clampett's Impact Zone approach has been one.

Is anyone familiar with "norcalgolfacademy" (https://www.youtube....h?v=FP3piLWYZV0). If so then how does this approach compare with the Impact Snap device? I found this guy's series on "Creating Lag" (I feel the title is somewhat misleading) to be fascinating, particularly when he talks about getting the club to the ground by "laying the loft on the ball" (which independently I have found to be a good thought) and about always applying force along the shaft, never across it. This is probably derived from some well-known school (e.g. TGM) but I had never heard the downswing put quite this way. So far this approach has helped me tremendously, meaning I can actually strike some shots (I'm still inconsistent applying the technique) crisply, albeit lower because I tend to deloft the club.

However, if the Impact Snap promotes this type of motion then I'm all for it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

The first half "stabbing motion" would apply to those who cast, however I can see problems with trying to apply it for many people.
I personally like Monte's lead with the right elbow instead.

The second half is the motion that the impact snap only deals with. It assumes you can get to that right elbow position near the right hip prior to impact.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#82 PJ1120

PJ1120

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Atrayn.........improved strikes and greater distance I assume?

#83 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:49 PM

"However, if the Impact Snap promotes this type of motion then I'm all for it."

It promotes the wrist conditions called out in the videos. I live near the Nor Cal Golf Academy and receive their emails (stopped by their location when they opened, but have never taken a lesson there). I used to receive emails saying they sold the Impact Snap so that probably confirms things.

#84 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

Atrayn, carrera: Ahhh, I see. I'll take a look at Monte's right-elbow tip. The thing that interests me most about those videos (although the first part is helpful as well) is the linear "pulling" and then "rotating" motion. It's a new feeling and gets me into a better position, but my tendency has always been to get there, get there and then...STOP! That is, and my back issues play a small part in this, once I get my hands past the ball to a position which I think is "far enough" I say to myself: "THIS IS IT", stop pulling with my lead arm and snap/flip with the trail.

Thanks.

#85 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Honestly, the biggest problem I see boils down to the fact that most golfers start their downswing with arms, not the hips.
And the hips in the right direction. Most of the time if they do it's a lateral slide, not diagonally back into the left heel. It's a 2D illusion...

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#86 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostAtrayn, on 15 June 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Honestly, the biggest problem I see boils down to the fact that most golfers start their downswing with arms, not the hips.
And the hips in the right direction. Most of the time if they do it's a lateral slide, not diagonally back into the left heel. It's a 2D illusion...

It's interesting you would say that, as Martin Chuck (whose video you referenced) seems to advocate a lateral slide of the hips as the initiator of the downswing.

Just my impression, of course.

#87 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2092

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

View Postnlk10010, on 16 June 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

View PostAtrayn, on 15 June 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

It's interesting you would say that, as Martin Chuck (whose video you referenced) seems to advocate a lateral slide of the hips as the initiator of the downswing.

Just my impression, of course.

Agreed it's a bump of the hips that I see advocated pretty much everywhere. The movement to the left heel is said to result in spinning the hips out
Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#88 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

Well, for me, it's necessary to have the feeling, in the downswing and once I get to the point where the club is parallel to the ground, that I'm pulling the butt end of the club directly towards the target, along the target line. In this way I avoid keeping my weight on my back foot and "spinning out". The feel is of an extended lateral slide of the hips towards the target, although I'm willing to admit that what's actually happening may be far different; e.g. it may be that it's a small lateral "bump" and the rest of the movement is a natural rotation of the hips to the left. I don't know. At least with my practice swings, the divot ends up well in front of the ball and is fairly straight. Of course transferring that to an actual swing (i.e. with a ball in front of me) is a whole 'nother thing. I continually have to fight releasing early and spinning out (so I slice or push or slam the dirt behind the ball).

#89 Doppelganger

Doppelganger

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300701
  • Handicap:10.9
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

I just picked one up for 80.

I've wanted something compact to use in my office and over the winter and I do fight with a flip. Also it looks like they hold their value very well on ebay so if it turns into a rental it shouldn't end up costing so much.

#90 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1139

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

Where to buy?

Callaway Fusion 10.5* w/44.5" Recoil 450ES
PING k15
Callaway RazrX 21* & 24* hybrids
PING G25 5-U w/DG XP s300
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
PING Ketsch
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors