Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Impact Snap! device, anyone used it?

134 replies to this topic

#31 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 524

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

I will certainly give it an extended run over the next few month and see if it helps my impact position and hopefully add some club head speed into the bargain. I am not too concerned with the exaggerated feel because I know I won't be anywhere near as extreme with a real swing.

I was just initially surprised by the amount of supination (wrist bowing)  and ulnar deviation (forearm rotation), it is certainly a sensation I have never experienced during a swing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 wichitapenguin

wichitapenguin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62608
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

It promotes a "lead hand knuckles down thru impact" that the Paulson guys always talk about.
It will help.

#33 ace036

ace036

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13928
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

Does anyone here travel for work and take the Impact Snap on the road in their carry on? I'm curious to know if it's TSA friendly?
Titleist 917D2 12° - Fubuki Tour 63x
Titleist 917F2 16.5° - Fubuki Tour 73x
Titleist 917F2 21° - Fubuki AX f75x

Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 50.08F - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 54.10S - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 58.08M - True Temper AMT Black s300
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

#34 buckeye88us

buckeye88us

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47187
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

View Postace036, on 24 February 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Does anyone here travel for work and take the Impact Snap on the road in their carry on? I'm curious to know if it's TSA friendly?

I do and after numerous flights over the past 6 months it's never been an issue.

#35 ace036

ace036

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13928
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

Great to hear! Thank you!

Titleist 917D2 12° - Fubuki Tour 63x
Titleist 917F2 16.5° - Fubuki Tour 73x
Titleist 917F2 21° - Fubuki AX f75x

Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 50.08F - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 54.10S - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 58.08M - True Temper AMT Black s300
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

#36 hoselrocketman

hoselrocketman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175370
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

I got mine delivered yesterday afternoon.  Read the instructions;  did the drill many times right in my computer room which was no problem because the device is only about 18 inches long so you can practice with it virtually anywhere you have room to stand up!  You get both audio and visual feedback because of the weighted ball in the handle which produces the "snap" sound, and the yellow ball on the arm of the device which must touch your trail forearm at the finish of the drill.  It is very uncomplicated and very effective.  I took it to the range with me this morning and used it before I hit any balls for about 5 minutes to warm up and to get used to the feeling.  Then I started with a 48 degree wedge and hit a couple of balls using the "ImpactSnap" motion and then put the club down and used the device again for a few swings.  Within about 10 minutes I was pulverizing my "48" dead straight at the target about 125 yards shot after shot.  Then I did the same with a 7 iron alternating with the ImpactSnap device and was CREAMING that club about 165 yards straight at my target.  It was blissful and amazing!  I play to an 8 handicap and I am 70 1/2 years old with a fake left knee and right elbow tendonosis from playing tennis.  I have never hit the ball so crisply as I did after training with this device!  It is convenient, simple to use, very, very helpful AND a bit costly ($90) and worth every penny.  Can't wait to work up to my 3 wood and driver!

#37 hoselrocketman

hoselrocketman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175370
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostDaveMac, on 21 September 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

I have just bought one of these and my initial reaction is how extremely rotated (closed) the lead wrist rotation feels. Is this the same feeling other users have experienced?
   Yes, I thought that, too.  When my arms fully extended past the "impact point" it seemed that the back of my left hand was facing too far left of the "target" but after a few more drills I realized that that result may have been because my left hip had not cleared enough.  When I took it to the range today for the first time, the results that I got from the training with it and then hitting golf balls trying to use the same technique was astonishingly successful!  I plan to keep that device with me wherever I go.  I can use it virtually anywhere I have room to stand up and swing!

#38 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

I bought it last week. You can go back thru my post history and see that I have spent ALOT of time on this part of the swing. I struggled with this as the last key to my swing change. To anyone that doesn't have one, 2 or all 3 of these wrist dynamics, it will be an "A-HA" moment for you. I wish I had this 8 years ago! In 2012 Martin Chuck identified the lack of UD in my swing. I did all the drills he recommended and it was still hard for me to produce consistently.

So when I saw this I had to buy it to Validate what I have been working on. Let me tell you...it's the real deal!!!
Callaway DBD w/ Aldila Rogue silver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

#39 vgidda

vgidda

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465334
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Anything can work.  

There are better ways to train impact using your body and holding a real golf club.

IMO training aids are desperation devices when:

1) Player does not know what to do and is playing poorly.
2)  Player wants some short cut instead of putting in the hard work.

#40 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2092

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

View Postvgidda, on 25 May 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Anything can work.  

There are better ways to train impact using your body and holding a real golf club.

Examples?

Isn't the point to get the feel and then put in the work? I don't think people are looking for a shortcut just the proper feel to work on. No point to put the work in when it's incorrect, right?

Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Anything can work.  

With all due respect...."anything" doesn't work.
I'm no training aid guy.
I can also tell you I've put in more hard work on the correct moves in golf over the last 8 years than most people. I also "intuitively" know "what" to do. Just some people need the feedback this device gives the brain to connect it together.
If you thoroughly understand the three moves this one device addresses then you'll understand why this device works so well. It is a "focus device". Just proper action coming into impact.
It's also not for everyone and some will discover they already do this so you can return it immediately. However if this is you I'll wager you are a very good ball-striker already.

Edit- Martin Chuck said I was a good ball-striker when I went to him initially and he discovered my lack of these conditions at impact. I told him I wanted to be a "great ball-striker" This is part of what I needed to fix.

Edited by Atrayn, 25 May 2017 - 11:43 AM.

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#42 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 443

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

I recently purchase the Impact Snap, because I've been interested in this method of releasing the club for about 15 years and have not been able to get any help from anyone optimizing it.  In my view, the product is extremely valuable, and I would list it among the top training aids I have ever seen.

The Impact Snap attempts to entrain two different but related moves.  The first is the three-part wrist release movement -- supination, flexion (bowing) and ulnar deviation -- that comprises "impact".  If you've never familiarized yourself with this movement, it comes as a revelation.  You'll probably wonder why no one mentioned it to you before.

The second move is lag, which is the "snap".  Personally, I'm not convinced that the golf swing requires as much lag as this training device requires,  and I don't advocate this much active snap.  But, there seems to be little harm in overdoing it, at least at least from a training perspective.  Once you get a real golf club in your hands, you can figure out how much is useful.

#43 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

Over the weekend I put it to the test. Two senior golfers I know. We never made it past basic pitching. The move was so counter-intuitive to how they thought the wrists and body have to move in order for this device to work. We had to forget about the "snap" portion and just work on the action to get the ball where it needed to be. It was hard for them at first. It took several hands on demonstrations but you could see the light bulb go off once they got it going. Once they had the movement down we worked on adding the snap portion.

The great thing about this is that in order for you to do the complete drill correctly, it forces the body to move the way it should. You have to have more lag....ugh hate that word, you have to "lead with the right elbow"...where have we heard that word?

It worked so well that they ordered one as soon as they got home.

I also did a bit more research and found this from Martin Chuck, I also was fortunate to get the "educator":
https://youtu.be/IokK-da5H_Y
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#44 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostAtrayn, on 30 May 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Over the weekend I put it to the test. Two senior golfers I know. We never made it past basic pitching. The move was so counter-intuitive to how they thought the wrists and body have to move in order for this device to work. We had to forget about the "snap" portion and just work on the action to get the ball where it needed to be. It was hard for them at first. It took several hands on demonstrations but you could see the light bulb go off once they got it going.

Yes!  Not just counter-intuitive to how you think the wrists move, but it's very different from how I was taught the wrists move.  Never once in my 52 years of playing golf has any PGA instructor described this method.  Not once!  It's as though it has been a secret withheld from the masses.

#45 ofortuna

ofortuna

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378320
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Anything can work.  

Or people don't know what to practice and the instructor is failing to communicate using words/video.

Many people fail at learning a golf swing using auditory or visual input.  What other way is there?  If a training device is designed extremely well, it could teach through "feel".  I'm not saying that this device does that since I've never tried one.

#46 jpcortese

jpcortese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69656
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

I don't have this training aid but asked the pro at my club about it and he stated that from his experience it's one of the better training aids around.  He also stated that he is planning to get one for his lessons for those who don't release properly.

#47 ajax5184

ajax5184

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418286
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostMountainGoat, on 30 May 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Over the weekend I put it to the test. Two senior golfers I know. We never made it past basic pitching. The move was so counter-intuitive to how they thought the wrists and body have to move in order for this device to work. We had to forget about the "snap" portion and just work on the action to get the ball where it needed to be. It was hard for them at first. It took several hands on demonstrations but you could see the light bulb go off once they got it going.

Yes!  Not just counter-intuitive to how you think the wrists move, but it's very different from how I was taught the wrists move.  Never once in my 52 years of playing golf has any PGA instructor described this method.  Not once!  It's as though it has been a secret withheld from the masses.

Can you compare the sensation to any other athletic motion? What are the biggest differences between this and the way you were taught?

#48 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

View Postajax5184, on 30 May 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Can you compare the sensation to any other athletic motion? What are the biggest differences between this and the way you were taught?

I can compare but then I would spend a lot of time explaining why and how it never meshed well with my old swing thoughts.
The biggest difference is that I was taught in the early 90's to "swing out to right field" and "get rid of the hacker's thumb"

Those two "lessons" turned me into a "pull hitter"...it was easy for me because I was also a natural pull hitter in baseball. However, I was also never taught how to hit a baseball properly either.
I was all upper body....

Monte, Martin and Iteach and TB07 and others have it correct when they say that you have to get yourself in the right position before all this happens at impact or you will never get it.
To me, it's the final move (stabilizing the wrist package that adds consistency) that slams the door shut providing the last bit of snap hitting into that imaginary wall you've created with your left side

It is also the final critical move that closes the clubface and turns what feels like an open face into the laser beam...
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#49 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118294
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1214

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

I picked up one after my elbow surgery and I'm so glad that I did. I wanted a low impact way to practice and figured the Impact Snap would do the job. I absolutely love it. I used it for about a month before picking up a club because a real club just put too much pressure on my elbow. Once I was able to pickup a club, I was amazed at how replicating the motion of the impact snap squared up the clubface perfectly every time. My first round after the surgery, I had only hit a few balls up to that point and I went out and shot 73 with my only swing thought being to do the motion of the training aid. I struck the ball that day as well as I have ever struck the ball in my life. A few putts and chips and it very easily could have been a round in the 60s. I instantly became a believer in it and have made it a part of my routine and game since. My swing thoughts are really based on the Impact Snap now. When taking my grip, I think in terms of the flat grip that's on the Impact Snap. It's really helped me gain some consistency in how I form it.  In the takeaway, I want to "carry" the ball away pretty much keeping it close to the same position until I'm past the right thigh. At the top, I use the ball to monitor the position I'm getting into. I tend to get a little cuppy at the top and I want to feel like the ball is closer to my right arm. Then of course there's the typical release motion. Even now, when I start to hook the ball which is generally my miss, I'll pickup the Impact Snap and chances are that my release is a little flippy. It's just a great, great training aid.  It's so easy for me think of the swing in terms of where that ball would be relative to my arms and I'm actually about to buy another one that I can dissect and turn it into a full club.

Edited by dornstar, 30 May 2017 - 10:45 AM.

D - Callaway XR Pro 9* (10*) - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
3W - Callaway X Hot Pro 15* - Aldila NV 85
2H - Cleveland 2009 18* - Aldila NV 85
4-GW - TaylorMade RSi-2 - Project X 6.5
SW/LW - Vokey SM5 M-Grind
P - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 counter-balanced

#50 ajax5184

ajax5184

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

Any of you that have an impact snap, also have the tour striker educator? If I turn my educator 90 degrees, would that give similar feedback to the impact snap just without the snapping part?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118294
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1214

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

View Postajax5184, on 30 May 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Any of you that have an impact snap, also have the tour striker educator? If I turn my educator 90 degrees, would that give similar feedback to the impact snap just without the snapping part?
I do have it and while it does give you a similar feel, I do not feel that it quite as "sticky". By that, I mean that it's easier for me to take the "feel" from the Impact Snap to a real swing than it is with the Educator. I personally wouldn't get much out of just using the educator. It's more of a bridge to take the Impact Snap to a full swing. I don't know why that is, but the Impact Snap just clicks for me.

I do a similar routine to Martin Chuck in his video on the Impact Snap. Usually I'll make a handful of swings with the Impact Snap working on whatever part of the swing I'm focused on, then try to replicate it with the Tour Striker Educator hitting one or two short shots and then do a handful of full swings. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by dornstar, 30 May 2017 - 11:01 AM.

D - Callaway XR Pro 9* (10*) - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
3W - Callaway X Hot Pro 15* - Aldila NV 85
2H - Cleveland 2009 18* - Aldila NV 85
4-GW - TaylorMade RSi-2 - Project X 6.5
SW/LW - Vokey SM5 M-Grind
P - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 counter-balanced

#52 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

View Postajax5184, on 30 May 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yes. However I only used it to try and train the UD portion. The impact snap makes you perform all three motions at the same time.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#53 ajax5184

ajax5184

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the replies.

#54 RattlesnakeRon

RattlesnakeRon

Student of the Game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 393004
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Dangit dornstar, I was resisting the temptation to order one just fine until your glowing review. Oh well. (fyi guys use coupon code SHAWN for 10% off at http://impactsnap.com)

Curious: is anyone using it the "wrong" way like Shawn Clement recommends?

Edited by DeadStick, 30 May 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#55 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

View Postajax5184, on 30 May 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

No, I can't compare the sensation to any other athletic motion.  When I was a teenager, I was taught to initiate the backswing by rolling my wrists to the right until the shaft was parallel to the target line, then taking the club up from there.  On the downswing, I was taught to reverse the motion and roll the wrists strongly to the left thru the ball.  The teachers called it "slamming the door".  Later in life, I was taught to hold my left wrist flat and just block it thru the ball without any rotation at all.  The first motion is powerful but not accurate.  The second motion is accurate but not powerful.  The impact snap release is both accurate and powerful.

#56 Ligolfer81

Ligolfer81

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450248
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

I bought one - I couldn't get anything out of it.  Seemed like a gimmick.

#57 jpdx

jpdx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430484
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Since I got this last Christmas, I practiced with it for about 10 min a day for the first week and each day I felt my range sessions got better and better. I have a better understanding on the feel I'm looking for at impact, and just prior to impact. I haven't been using it as much the last 2 or 3 months as the weather has improved and I'm getting out more.

I would say out of the training aid's I've tried - the impact snap and the whip's have helped me the most.

I use this to impact snap to train my wrist motion just prior to and including impact. I transition that to my sklz whip and use both of those to work on the full swing. My swing and impact feels more consistent than ever before.

Thanks for reminding me how useful of an aid this is.
Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 12.5* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -1*
Nike Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
Nike Method Matter m4-12
Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

back up/other bag in progress
Nike Vapor Pro driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
Nike Method Origin b2-01

#58 Apollo 13

Apollo 13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396192
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

I would really like to try one out. Leaving the club face open with a cupped wrist at impact is my biggest flaw. But I'm all the way down here in South Africa, and $130 is a big chunk of change. In local currency, that would get me 5 or 6 lessons with a PGA accredited couch.
Ping G20 10.5*
Callaway XR16 16*
Adams DHY 21*
Mizuno MX-17 4-SW
Vokey 50, 58
Ping Scottsdale Shea

#59 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125579
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

I've been using one of these lately, and the feel is very different for me.  When I try to implement the feel in a swing/hitting a ball, and really try to "snap" it, some of the shots are great, but majority of shots are some degree of a pull cut.  Any ideas as to what that could be?  When I use the device the ulnar deviation portion seems like it would kick my swing path to the left (I'm right handed).

#60 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

Here's the part about it for me that was an Epiphany....

The motion itself, makes you feel like you are hitting a hold off punch shot. You will swear that you can't possibly get the club face square. It feels like the face will remain open and you'll block it right.
However, the ulnar deviation combined with palmar flexion you create actually closes the face and gives you all the "down" you need in your swing.

Here's the part that is hard to deal with if you are a flipper.
It feels like there is a lot of hand manipulation and it will be hard to stay committed. In actuality, this device creates much more stability & consistency in the whole hands, wrists & forearm package at impact.

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors