Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cupped wrist


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blueblood

blueblood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5978
  • Joined: 09/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thanks ahead for any help posted, the knowledge of most of the posters on this board is impressive.
If you see the first attached picture, my left wrist is cupped at the top of my swing.
Is this acceptable or should I work to flatten it out? A flat wrist just doesn't feel comfortable.
The second picture is on my follow through. Left wrist is still cupped. Same question, is this proper?
My current ball flight is a draw, with alot of pull hooks, HC is 14
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0364-0.00.13.00.jpg
  • IMG_0364-0.00.13.46.jpg


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 keygolf

keygolf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64061
  • Joined: 08/24/2008
  • Location:Tennessee
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

The importance of the flat left wrist lies at address grip and impact. The reason most recommend "flat" throughout is that it minimizes the number os moving parts. I used to play with Moe Norman in Florida and one of his favorite sayings was -"Remember, the least number of moving parts makes the most powerful and consistent action."

#3 schlyer

schlyer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20300
  • Joined: 10/06/2006
  • Location:Wichita, KS
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:schlyer
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

A cupped left wrist isn't by itself bad - but in the photo you've posted, your clubface is wide open at the top as a result.  Strengthen your grip at address so that your comfy cupped position at the top yields a square face, and you'll be better off.

#4 Paranorml

Paranorml

    chill bro

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81317
  • Joined: 04/27/2009
  • Location:USA
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Fred couples is a prime example; he has a relatively strong grip and a  cupped wrist at the top of his back swing which leaves his club face  wide open. Post pictures of your grip before you listen to anyone about  strengthening it more. You are already hitting draws and pull hooks from this position so to strengthen it before correcting any possible swing flaws would lead to more hooks. In your follow through you appear to rely on a flippy/handsy action that makes your left elbow chicken wing, that elbow wants to look similar to your right elbow in the backswing - somewhat attached to the body and pointing downward. A good drill for you to work on that motion would be to put a towel under each arm or at least a glove under your front arm and try to hold it until you reach your full follow through - best practiced with some 9 to 3 shots to get the feeling of moving your body as a unit and holding the glove/towel the entire time.
9.5* VR Pro Ltd
15* Titleist 910 fd
Callaway Razr MB 3-PW
Byron Morgan SS DH89
VR Pro Forged 53*, 59*

#5 blueblood

blueblood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5978
  • Joined: 09/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

View Postlime56, on 13 June 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

probably hit the ball better if you didnt cover your face.. ..might fix that cup of yours.. :rolleyes:
Trust me, the world is better off


#6 blueblood

blueblood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5978
  • Joined: 09/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

View PostParanorml, on 13 June 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Fred couples is a prime example; he has a relatively strong grip and a  cupped wrist at the top of his back swing which leaves his club face  wide open. Post pictures of your grip before you listen to anyone about  strengthening it more. You are already hitting draws and pull hooks from this position so to strengthen it before correcting any possible swing flaws would lead to more hooks. In your follow through you appear to rely on a flippy/handsy action that makes your left elbow chicken wing, that elbow wants to look similar to your right elbow in the backswing - somewhat attached to the body and pointing downward. A good drill for you to work on that motion would be to put a towel under each arm or at least a glove under your front arm and try to hold it until you reach your full follow through - best practiced with some 9 to 3 shots to get the feeling of moving your body as a unit and holding the glove/towel the entire time.
Thanks, I will try this drill tomorrow

#7 blueblood

blueblood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5978
  • Joined: 09/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

View Postschlyer, on 13 June 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

A cupped left wrist isn't by itself bad - but in the photo you've posted, your clubface is wide open at the top as a result.  Strengthen your grip at address so that your comfy cupped position at the top yields a square face, and you'll be better off.
Its pretty strong now, I'll try and post a picture tomorrow

#8 sohills

sohills

    The Golf Surgeon

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129796
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

View Postblueblood, on 13 June 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks ahead for any help posted, the knowledge of most of the posters on this board is impressive.
If you see the first attached picture, my left wrist is cupped at the top of my swing.
Is this acceptable or should I work to flatten it out? A flat wrist just doesn't feel comfortable.
The second picture is on my follow through. Left wrist is still cupped. Same question, is this proper?
My current ball flight is a draw, with alot of pull hooks, HC is 14
Thanks!


There are some pretty good responses here, but be careful. This is a quick rundown.

Do check your grip. I would venture to say that if you are already drawing and pulling, it is strong enough for now. The flat left wrist conversation is completely relative to your grip position. A stronger grip, makes the left wrist appear more cupped at the top. Your clubface however, is open at the top.

Due to the fact that you say you are hitting draws from an open clubface position at the top, tells me that you have figured out a way to square the club at impact. What is more disturbing to me than your position at the top is the follow through. The extremely cupped wrist and left arm position looks as though you are likely collapsing your left side at impact and into your follow through.

For now, your grip is probably fine. You probably need to work on keeping a much more firm left arm and wrist through impact. Your left arm needs to be straight at impact. I suspect that the collapsing is probably your adjustment to square the face.

As you work on a straighter left arm at impact, you may hit a few shots to the right. Then look at your grip, and/or look at your left wrist at impact. The left wrist should actually be bowing slightly through impact.

Work on swinging only with the left arm, even without a ball, and work on using your left arm and left wrist to square and rotate the club through impact. This should allow you to fix your left side to be more firm through impact!

Good Luck!

The Golf Surgeon




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors