Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best beginner cheap driver out right now?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OGJordan

OGJordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125695
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

Well, I just started playing golf.  I bought a cheap starter set, My $300 set; since I wasn't even sure if I would like the game.  I plan to build around these piece by piece as I see the need.  I'm going to pick up a couple of wedges today; Cleveland CG15s most likely.  I'm fairly consistent with my irons (not good, but consistent), and my instructor has said there's no problem with keeping them for the time being.  But I have no wedges in that set.  Figure I'll pick up a 52 and a 58.  

But on to my question.  Apparently the driver in that set is terrible, so I just want to replace it with a decent one.  I NEVER hit the ball to the left, usually half of my driver hits are straight, and half are a super push.  I never slice the ball, I just hit it dead right.  We've figured out the issues with my swing, and as long as I concentrate on my swing, I can correct it, but if I'm NOT concentrating on it, I pull that right shoulder every time, leaving the club behind.  So, anyway, I'm looking a for a cheap, forgiving driver.  There are 2 golf shops nearby, as well as a Dick's.  There's probably 100 used drivers in both stores, but I don't know what I'm looking at to be honest.  There are a few R7 Draws in one of the stores for like $80, and a few Nike drivers that I recognize, but most are older models that I haven't heard of and don't know anything about.  So I figured just go get a new lowerline driver so I know what I'm getting.  

I have a slow swing speed because I'm just learning, but I'm rather strong, about 6'0" 210lbs of muscle not fat.  Any suggestions? How about this:Burner 09 or this: Burner HT

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BubblerGolf

BubblerGolf

If only I could putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121403
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Do you like your trajectory? If its not too low or if you like it, I'd go with the Burner 09 or one of the used clubs  at the proshops. If you want to hit the ball higher i'd go with the Burner HT (High  Trajectory.) Hope this helps.

#3 phizzy30

phizzy30

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106656
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

I would definately recommend getting a used driver for now as your still a beginner, and you will need to switch to something else as your swing speed increases and your swing gets better.  I went this route starting from when I was 10 until now.  Went from R flex to X flex, from square face to 1.5 degree open and it's worked out great for me.  I would recommend an R7, Callaway FT-9, or Ping G10 in higher lofts.  All of them are square to slighty closed face and will help you square the face for more accurate tee shots.
Tour issue R1 v2 w/matrix hdz-70x
Tour issue Rzr Hawk 15* fuji-105x proto
Deep face TM proto 16*, 20*, mrc thump x
Vega VDC-01 Recoil proto 125 F5
Scratch 54*/Miura 58* c-taper S+
2008 Scotty Cameron Button Back

#4 ND Fan

ND Fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63580
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

I would highly recommend rockbottomgolf.com  Their stuff is new although last years models but good quality and name you'll recognize.  I have purchased many things from them and haven't been disappointed yet.  BTW I don't work for them or have any affiliation other than being  happy customer.

#5 Kento

Kento

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124609
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.  The '09 Burner that you mentioned is a great driver for the price.  From what you have described I think a used driver would work just fine.  That R7 draw sounds good for you depending on the flex.  I alway recommend just hitting a few in store if they will let you.  Everybody is different and likes different looking drivers.

#6 darkhelmet

darkhelmet

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128147
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

What I would do is talk to your instructor first and get a few basic guidelines from him on loft and shaft flex.

Then go to the store and hit a bunch of clubs in the $75 - $125 range -- find about 3-4 that you like the look and feel of, and that meet your instructor's recommendations.  Explain what you are trying to do, and ask if you can check out the clubs to demo -- most places take credit card imprints (or do something similar) and let you check out demo/used clubs.

Finally, take them to your lesson and work with your instructor to find one that you hit consistently with good results.

Don't worry too much about which heads are "better" than others -- every single one of the drivers you are going to look at will be pretty forgiving, and they are all maxed out in terms of ball speed.  What matters right now is simply finding one that works for you, and that you feel comfortable with (comfort --> confidence, and confidence is more important than any other factor in a golf club).

#7 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130281
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

If you can even find an old Ping G2 driver, you will be really happy.
I've ordered from here and been happy with what I got. http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com

Edited by Agent Jim, 10 June 2011 - 11:11 AM.

Ping I25 8.5 PWR75 45.25"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5
Adams Super LS 17 & 22
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Cleveland 588 RTX CB/SC Cali Fastback
Callaway Chrome Yellow
WITB Link

#8 midweston

midweston

With my cast, I should have taken up fishing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125258
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

A lot of people think the 07 burner is a bomber as well if you want a little cheaper still...

#9 one9reasons

one9reasons

Shanksalot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93003
  • Ebay ID:one9reasons
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! I would consider jumping on a launch monitor when you have some time to gather some basic numbers like swing speed, etc. That being said, the '09 Burner sounds like a definite bargain! Heck, if you have time to search, the '07 Burner is a great driver for probably even cheaper! GL in your search and with your game!

#10 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

callaway preowned has one http://www.callawayg...default,pd.html

TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5
Adams Super LS 17 & 22
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Callaway Chrome Yellow
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 WilCox

WilCox

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27591
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

A beginner is better off getting a good 3-wood and learning to hit it well first.  Pick up a decent driver later when you've figured out what kind of driver you need and like.  I think learning golf from the fairways is much more fun than learning from the rough.
TM SLDR Mini
TM V-Steel 18*
PING S56 4-P
PING 54* & 58*
TM Imola 8 TP / SS2.0

#12 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

View Postblhoff, on 10 June 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

A beginner is better off getting a good 3-wood and learning to hit it well first.  Pick up a decent driver later when you've figured out what kind of driver you need and like.  I think learning golf from the fairways is much more fun than learning from the rough.

Hey sometimes you get lucky and land on another fairway Posted Image

Edited by Agent Jim, 10 June 2011 - 12:06 PM.

TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5
Adams Super LS 17 & 22
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Callaway Chrome Yellow
WITB Link

#13 OGJordan

OGJordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.  I'm definitely taking it all into account.    I'm not really your typical golfer.....I build custom cars, have a shaved head, fully tattooed sleeves......I'm more Jesse James than Phil Mickelson; so when I go into a golf shop they're not sure if I'm there to rob them or what so I don't tend to get much help.  The preppy, uppity crowd tends to be a little scared of me lol.  

-Thanks for the advice on the terminology from the first response....sometimes I get lost in all the acronyms on here.  When people don't mention a Brand or how old clubs are I'm lost.
-I'd love to shop at one of the online retailers, but I think something like this I need to get it in my hands and hit it to try it out.
-I HAVE been using my 3 wood with now issues, but I'd like to try a decent driver sometime also.

Thanks for all the club recommendations also.  And the plan is to eventually get on the launch monitor, but if I'm all over the place with consistency, I don't know that I want to necessarily do it just yet and get it "stuck" in my head that I do a certain thing when in actuality it was just that day.

And as far hitting other fairways, well, it IS in the fairway isn't it?:D

#14 Badmeat

Badmeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129589

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

I think I saw the 09 Burner drivers are on sale at Dick's for $130 right now

#15 Smoothduffer

Smoothduffer

Fantastico

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114680
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Wilson Staff Smooth is a great beginner driver,i have been playing golf for a year and a half now and have been gaming my 9* smooth for right at a year. It goes straight,finds the fairway and you can get one super cheap,they are almost giving them away and its a shame more people have not tried it cause its really good.

#16 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

If you're going to an instructor I'd ask his thoughts. He knows your swing better than any of us here.

As an aside, I rarely ever buy new equipment. Our BST here seems to always have what I want or am looking for.

#17 skinny99

skinny99

Skinny99

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29610
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostRookieBlue7, on 10 June 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

If you're going to an instructor I'd ask his thoughts. He knows your swing better than any of us here.

As an aside, I rarely ever buy new equipment. Our BST here seems to always have what I want or am looking for.
Talk to your instructer and get some baselines in what he thinks you should buy. Loft,length and how stiff of a shaft.

Get on the BST here. You can buy so much more driver there. There are lots of very nice drivers with upgraded shafts there for $150.
Ping G10's, Taylormade R9's, Ton's of Adams stuff and many more.

#18 rellik

rellik

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77005

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Find a Tour Edge Exotics XLD. New or used. The thing just goes straight.  It can be had cheap on the bay and rockbottomgolf.com

#19 DeadYank

DeadYank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129413

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Lol, I'm right there with ya OP. I have many tattoo's from my days of playing bass in a cheezy heavy metal band back in the 80's (still guest appear for a little cover band for kicks every now and then). I have athletic build. Still have somewhat long hair (poney tailed out the back of golf hat) , arms almost covered, 2 on my calfs, 1 on neck. When I play at my buddies member/guest course rotation at different clubs,most people look at me and think I'm there to clean the pool or weed the gardens. Even had one guy walk up to me, hand me 5 bucks, point to his bag and point to his cart. So i just walked over, loaded his bag and walked away 5 dollars richer, lol. Little do they know that I have been playing for 15 years and now carry  a 8 hcp. The look on there faces is comedy gold when they watch me step up on the first tee and pipe a drive down the middle 270-280 with my smooth balanced swing.

Welcome aboard and glad your enjoying the game!

On your driver quest, If it were me just starting out with todays technology , i would avoid a "draw" club. you will eventually progress in your swing and may regret it. Instead I would look around for a 09 R9 with MFT & AWT. I have seen them used for $100 or so. that way you could experiment with closeing/opening the face for now to avoid your push right. Also, when your swing speed increases, just go out replace the shaft of your choice with an sleeve, grip, crank down the head and your good to go.

Good luck!

#20 OGJordan

OGJordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

View PostDeadYank, on 10 June 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

Lol, I'm right there with ya OP. I have many tattoo's from my days of playing bass in a cheezy heavy metal band back in the 80's (still guest appear for a little cover band for kicks every now and then). I have athletic build. Still have somewhat long hair (poney tailed out the back of golf hat) , arms almost covered, 2 on my calfs, 1 on neck. When I play at my buddies member/guest course rotation at different clubs,most people look at me and think I'm there to clean the pool or weed the gardens. Even had one guy walk up to me, hand me 5 bucks, point to his bag and point to his cart. So i just walked over, loaded his bag and walked away 5 dollars richer, lol. Little do they know that I have been playing for 15 years and now carry  a 8 hcp. The look on there faces is comedy gold when they watch me step up on the first tee and pipe a drive down the middle 270-280 with my smooth balanced swing.

Welcome aboard and glad your enjoying the game!

On your driver quest, If it were me just starting out with todays technology , i would avoid a "draw" club. you will eventually progress in your swing and may regret it. Instead I would look around for a 09 R9 with MFT & AWT. I have seen them used for $100 or so. that way you could experiment with closeing/opening the face for now to avoid your push right. Also, when your swing speed increases, just go out replace the shaft of your choice with an sleeve, grip, crank down the head and your good to go.

Good luck!

Ahhhh, another person who plays golf, but isn't a "golfer"  lol

Well, I stopped by one of the shops today and picked up an R7, then hit the range.  It was a brand new driver, just stuck in the used club bad because it was so old.  Got it for $79.  In the back of my mind, I was assuming that there really wasn't anything wrong with my old driver, I just needed some more practice.  I'm not a person who is easily impressed or surprised, but when I hit the first ball I literally said Holy s*** out loud.  I gained at least 25% distance.  I usually pick up 2 buckets of balls and work my way through each club on the first bucket, then hit the 2 or 3 I did worst on with the second bucket.  Well, today I hit the entire first bucket off the driver to make sure I didn't just get lucky.   I pushed 3 balls out of the whole bucket.   I was REALLY impressed.  Now it's got me thinking about replacing all my other clubs lol.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Jimbud

Jimbud

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67683
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

View PostBadmeat, on 10 June 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

I think I saw the 09 Burner drivers are on sale at Dick's for $130 right now

They're normally all over ebay for around $100.00.
TM RBZ Stage 2, Matrix Ozik Xcon 10.5
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5 Fairway
Adams Idea Tech V4 19 & 22 Hybrid
Mizuno MP53 & MP63 combo iron set
Vokey 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Camron Kombi S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors