Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Whats a Good Iron Shaft for someone between 75-80mph Swing Speed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36005
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:48 AM

Looking to change either the shafts I currently have or purchase a new set of clubs entirely. Recently had my swing checked on a Trackman and with my Irons I'm swinging anywhere between 75-80mph, averaging about 77mph.

I'm currently playing KBS Stiff Shafts, Softstepped once, but wonder if there is something out there thats more suitable for me. What I'm looking for is something thats easier and more consistant for me to hit well that might also produce a tighter dispersion then what I see with the KBS.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tbowles411

tbowles411

Sandra Gal is German from the nose up...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1251

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

Either the Rifle or Project X shafts, flighted or unflighted in regular flex.  Both will weigh in in the 110-115g range.  Flighted will give you a more penetrating flight than the unflighted ones.  Both have very good dispersion.

#3 rkangrah

rkangrah

A real Forged Hybrid baby!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

View Postbigstunnerdude, on 03 June 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Looking to change either the shafts I currently have or purchase a new set of clubs entirely. Recently had my swing checked on a Trackman and with my Irons I'm swinging anywhere between 75-80mph, averaging about 77mph.

I'm currently playing KBS Stiff Shafts, Softstepped once, but wonder if there is something out there thats more suitable for me. What I'm looking for is something thats easier and more consistant for me to hit well that might also produce a tighter dispersion then what I see with the KBS.

Considering your swing speed,  a 70g range Graphite shaft might fit you.   A steel shaft might be too heavy for your swing speed.  

I have used UST IROD iron shaft, the shaft perform very well and have a tight dipersion.

#4 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

Don't think Graphite really is an option, as I'm still far too young and still physically strong. I've tried Graphite Irons in the past out of the shop more to have a laugh with on the range. The things just go anywhere. So still would prefer the consistency of steel.

#5 rkangrah

rkangrah

A real Forged Hybrid baby!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

View Postbigstunnerdude, on 03 June 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Don't think Graphite really is an option, as I'm still far too young and still physically strong. I've tried Graphite Irons in the past out of the shop more to have a laugh with on the range. The things just go anywhere. So still would prefer the consistency of steel.

I wouldn't worry so much about the consistency of graphite shaft today.  The latest iron graphite shafts are as good as steel.   What you said is true if it was 5 years ago.

This is based on my own experience.  I used graphite then switched to steel for 2 years.   Then switched back to graphite.  I don't see any difference on the performance.  

Also I have similar swing speed as yours, around 78-80 Mph with a 5 iron.   Also I have a fast tempo.

#6 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 17,012 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

View Postrkangrah, on 03 June 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

View Postbigstunnerdude, on 03 June 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

I wouldn't worry so much about the consistency of graphite shaft today.  The latest iron graphite shafts are as good as steel.   What you said is true if it was 5 years ago.

This is based on my own experience.  I used graphite then switched to steel for 2 years.   Then switched back to graphite.  I don't see any difference on the performance.  

Also I have similar swing speed as yours, around 78-80 Mph with a 5 iron.   Also I have a fast tempo.
Definately agree with this.  Graphite has come a very long way and has much tigher tolerances than they used to.  I use them now and haven't looked back.  I use 90g Fujikura graphite shafts in stiff flex and I'm throwing darts.  I have an 85-90MPH SS with a 5 iron when I swing smooth, but there is plenty left if I need to step on the gas a bit.  A number of pros are are now using graphite as well such as Matt Kuchar and his Aerotech Steelfibers that maybe cost $50 per shaft.  Matrix, Fujikura and Aldila makes shafts that you would swear your hitting steel shafts.

Using graphite shafted irons is a misconception. It's for old men who need distance.  Well I don't see many old men using 115g graphite shafts.  It's something to consider.  Since your SS is on the 80MPH range, you're a great candidate for graphite.  Don't knock it.  Try a 6 iron and see if you like it.

Edited by tbowles411, 03 June 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#7 Grobster

Grobster

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50512
  • Ebay ID:the_grobs
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

View Postbigstunnerdude, on 03 June 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Dynamic Gold R300SL or perhaps even an S300SL might be worth a try.

#8 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 17,012 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

How heavy are you looking at swinging?

#9 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'd like to stay somewhere between 110 and 130 grams in terms of shaft weight. Keeps my clubs overalls and swingweights constant then.

I've tried most of the clubs in my shop with Graphite Shafts at some point. Doesn't matter whether its Ping, Callaway, Taylormade or another brand. I just don't like the feel of Graphite shafts. Think I'm too strong and a bit too handsy to make them work for me and I find them too light.

I'm sure I can swing faster then my recently measured swing speed, (Not to be confused with Clubhead Speed) which I think some people may mistake. I just like to make really smooth and lazy swings to try and get more control over my shot direction. I've always tried to control the golf club and the golf ball rather then let them control me.

#10 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Would switching from standard KBS shafts to the new KBS C Tapers give me a better dispersion as I see they are supposed to be lower spinning.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 sm_watts

sm_watts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89539
  • Ebay ID:shawnthepeman
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

My swing speed is very similar to yours.  That said, I have put Royal Precision (not Project X) rifle 5.0's in every set of irons that have stayed for more than a month.  I can feel the kick on full swings, get good ball-flight, and a pretty good dispersion, but that latter is  more operator error than anything else.  I had to search pretty hard this spring for an old set of rifles for my new Mizuno MX-23's, but several GolfWRX'ers offered me a set for $60-80.  I had my Mizuno's bent pretty weak (PW=48*) and didn't lose any distance from the Callaway's I was trying out.

#12 bogeyk

bogeyk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1764
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

I swing the six iron at 84MPH and recently got fitted for JPX 800 pro's and decided to go with ProjectX graphite in 5.0 flex as recommended.  I haven't noticed any sort of inconsistent or irregular ball flight from anything but pilot error.  I get a nice high ball flight that seems to just keep going on a nice plane.
Driver: Vacant
FW: Vacant
Hybrid: May replace with 7wood
Irons: PING G15 4-LW
Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth 37"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors