Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

End of Golf Lesson: Do You Tip the Pro?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Stuy Pegleg

Stuy Pegleg

Hmmm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4887
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

I got at 5-30 min private instruction package.  The last 30-min session is tomorrow.  I plan to sign up for another set of instructions.  

So do I tip the instructor since it's the last of 5 lessons?

Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 acrazygolfer

acrazygolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3354

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:46 PM

stuartlee, on Aug 10 2005, 07:11 PM, said:

I got at 5-30 min private instruction package.  The last 30-min session is tomorrow.  I plan to sign up for another set of instructions. 

Thanks.

No! You paid them to teach you and not to carry the bag or to clean the clubs.  However, if you truly appreciate a job well done, give he or she a gift certificate instead ... cost more but than you're a player with class   :vava:

#3 kenfuji

kenfuji

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1456
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:50 AM

if you really want to tip him/her sign up for lessons and send your instructor a christmas card when the holiday season comes around. imho they will appreicate that more then a Tip :vava:

#4 Lord Thomas

Lord Thomas

Resident Royal

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4861

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:30 AM

I don't tip a golf pro, although I tend to pay cash with a larger "cut" going in his pocket.

The Christmas Card idea is interesting.

-Thomas

#5 Stuy Pegleg

Stuy Pegleg

Hmmm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4887

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

Thanks, guys.  He's a senior pro so the lessons are expensive as they are...so no tip.  But I will sign up for another session of five.  I'm sure that he'll like that.

#6 phillypete

phillypete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2261
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:02 PM

For some reason I think tipping a pro demeans their service.

#7 JHR

JHR

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1089

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

I offered to tip our former head pro after a lesson and he was insulted, he said that was part of the fees .I don't think I would ever offer another pro a tip if I ever get another lesson.

#8 Golfdog

Golfdog

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2350

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

You never tip a head pro, but should always tip an assistant.

#9 longball

longball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3154

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:55 PM

Maui19, on Aug 11 2005, 01:41 PM, said:

You never tip a head pro, but should always tip an assistant.

No tip to either.  They set their prices accordingly.  We are a tip happy world.  What is next...tipping a Doctor? :vava:

#10 RSchaffer29

RSchaffer29

Los Angeles, CA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2807
  • Ebay ID:ryantechseller
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

I assume he has tremendously helped your game or you would not be contemplating tipping him :vava:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4749

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:50 AM

acrazygolfer, on Aug 10 2005, 11:46 PM, said:

I got at 5-30 min private instruction package.  The last 30-min session is tomorrow.  I plan to sign up for another set of instructions. 

Thanks.

No! You paid them to teach you and not to carry the bag or to clean the clubs.  However, if you truly appreciate a job well done, give he or she a gift certificate instead ... cost more but than you're a player with class   :vava:

A gift certificate wouldn't do a pro anygood.  Really it wouldn't.  They can order things and get a Personal Use Discount or have it comped....No point in giving them a gift certificate.

#12 kkcheo

kkcheo

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:23 AM

Why not just buy the Pro lunch.  I take my pro out to lunch, dinner or just drinks, that way, he's happy and I get to pick him brains even more ... hehehehe....  :vava:

-K.

#13 rhinogolfer

rhinogolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4859
  • Ebay ID:rhinosailor

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

I did after my second lesson, when a few things really clicked, and plan to prolly one more time. He is the assistant at the course. Why do I? Mostly because each lesson he has gone beyond the time, and he's always happy to answer questions for me between lessons too.

#14 cpa49707

cpa49707

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2008

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:51 AM

I don't tip my pro either, However i may be in a little different circumstance than most.  He and I are best friends, we do alot together off the course and most of his tips and lessons come to me on the golf course as we are playing.  

I do believe that the world has become to tip crazy, I'm a CPA and save people money all the time and no one has given me a tip.  I've never heard of tipping any type of professional for thier services

#15 Gallery_Roaringdonkey_*

Gallery_Roaringdonkey_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

I think it is just that most people in the golf business get tipped.  Think about it A list of people who get tipped (sorry if I forgot anyone) Caddies, Bag room personel, Cart girls, Waitresses in the grille/restraunt, Club cleaners, THe list goes on and on.  So since golf seems to have anyone get tipped why not the pro, but just like it was already said it seems to be demeaning

#16 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1859
  • Ebay ID:tpariff
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

GehenHerzog, on Aug 12 2005, 06:50 AM, said:

acrazygolfer, on Aug 10 2005, 11:46 PM, said:

Thanks.

No! You paid them to teach you and not to carry the bag or to clean the clubs.  However, if you truly appreciate a job well done, give he or she a gift certificate instead ... cost more but than you're a player with class   :clapping:

A gift certificate wouldn't do a pro anygood.  Really it wouldn't.  They can order things and get a Personal Use Discount or have it comped....No point in giving them a gift certificate.

What about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant?  We all know a golf gift certificate is useless, but if the pro can take his/her spouse or signficant other to dinner and have all or part of it paid for, then he/she will be very appreciative.

#17 HipCheck

HipCheck

All treats.

• Marshals
  • 5,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1164

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

I have never tipped my pro and after seeing this thread, I'm glad I haven't. :clapping:

#18 nearfall152

nearfall152

Death to all Canadian Geese

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118
  • Ebay ID:nearfall152

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:38 AM

kkcheo, on Aug 12 2005, 05:23 AM, said:

Why not just buy the Pro lunch.  I take my pro out to lunch, dinner or just drinks, that way, he's happy and I get to pick him brains even more ... hehehehe....  :clapping:

-K.

Bingo!  Buy him lunch / Beer = free or longer lessons and the all important knowledge they convey to you.  You'll learn a lot by hanging out with players that are better than you and talking golf
510TP 10.5 Mitsubishi X
Wishon 949 16.5*
Wishon 775 18*
TM 300 PX 6.5
Scratch 8620 53/60
Edel Custom Putter

#19 TNSooner

TNSooner

Sooner Born & Sooner Bred

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7131
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:41 PM

nearfall152, on Aug 26 2005, 03:38 AM, said:

kkcheo, on Aug 12 2005, 05:23 AM, said:

Why not just buy the Pro lunch.  I take my pro out to lunch, dinner or just drinks, that way, he's happy and I get to pick him brains even more ... hehehehe....  :pimp:

-K.

Bingo!  Buy him lunch / Beer = free or longer lessons and the all important knowledge they convey to you.  You'll learn a lot by hanging out with players that are better than you and talking golf

As a former club pro, I always felt awkward when someone tried to give me a tip for anything.  I just considered it part of my job to go out of my way to make sure that a member of the club got more than they bargained for.

If they wanted to give me a tip, I usually suggested that they just give a donation to our Junior Golf Fund that we had set up in the business office at the club.  

Offering to buy lunch or giving a gift card to a restaurant is a great idea...

#20 Bombn

Bombn

Tour Winner

• 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5004
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

A Golf Pro is considered by themselves (and the golf industry) as a legitimate "professional", much like an account, lawyer or dentist.  Would you tip either of these people?  No, but maybe buy them a beer.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 TigerStrong

TigerStrong

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6928
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

You are paying for a series of lessons and when there up there up no tip needed. If the pro does a great job send him a thank you card saying your golf game improved and here is something for the effort. If you don't click with the pro and your game doesen't get any better move on. Its all personal prefrence, hey if your taking money off the boys because your game improves a thank you card with a little something in it is a nice gesture. The pro also would take pride knowing that the way he teaches is working. Thats my take.
Adams XTD 10.5* Fubuki K  70x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-GW Dynamic Gold S300
Nike VR Forged 55* 60*
Odyssey Versa #7 33 Inch

#22 Gub

Gub

• Lady Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2162
  • Ebay ID:debo8

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

wow, a great topic... I have tipped an assistant in the past and he didn't hesitate one bit.  :cheesy:

what about if you have a gift certificate? I have one for a head pro at a local private course (where I'm not a member).  same thing, no tip?

Deb.

#23 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

Perhaps I'm different here, but I feel obiligated to tip my pro once in a while.  

He charges a flat hourly rate, but we usually start our lessons early and end them late.  They usually total anywhere from an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half (if I'm struggling).  Usually while I'm practicing he'll come by and see how I'm doing and give me a quick 5-10 minute tune up.  He's also completely comped an hour lesson before.  To me, that's money out of his pocket he used to help me when he could have charged someone else.  For that reason I tip to at least makeup that amount to him, professional or not.

To his credit, he resisted me every step of the way and it took some serious trickery with the folks in the pro shop to finally get it to him.

Edited by taylormadefan, 12 March 2006 - 11:34 PM.

#24 thesmurf

thesmurf

mmmm spaghetti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1905

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

Being a club pro, I don't ever expect to get tipped for giving a lesson.  However I keep all my lesson revenue.  The only time I would suggest tipping an instructor is when he/she gets paid to teach by the facility and doesn't see any of the revenue from giving the lessons.

#25 AR8007

AR8007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9580

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

No!!

#26 Ducky

Ducky

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15254
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

How about a non-financial tip?

"You dress well, but get a new haircut!"

:cheesy:

#27 Gub

Gub

• Lady Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2162
  • Ebay ID:debo8

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:24 PM

Been meaning to check out this thread again... I recently took a lesson from the head pro (not an assistant) at a private course which was paid for by a gift certificate purchased for me last year... when it was over, I reached in my pocket to get the folded up bill and said something to him about how I hear it's not customary to tip pros after a lesson... he couldn't have had his hand out any faster and practically grabbed the money out of my hand... and it's not like it was an awful lesson - we worked on my short game and that came together rather quickly. (I need way more than 1 hour to work on my full swing  :cheesy: !)

Deb.

#28 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

Here's my opinion...

I will generally tell my student "That's not necessary", and then they will insist...

If we have taken more time than scheduled, I don't mind...However, I much rather drink a cold one!

It's a nice gesture, and would say it is strictly up to the student...I never expect it, however...

#29 Bulldogdoc

Bulldogdoc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24957
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

Not a bad idea! :blink:

Bulldogdoc