Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

FIRST FLIGHT 1 3 4 5 WOODS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zermatt7

zermatt7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128086
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi,
Newbie here :rolleyes:

I just found this  set of "First Flight Hand Crafted Woods"  in a box of clubs in the attic and cannot remember where / when I got them. Pretty sure I got them here in Atlanta and not Ohio where I moved from but ? ? ?

The steel shafts are "First Flight  'Hex Flex' regular flex" and are sort of like an octagonal barrel at the top. The three woods have really nice Avon Chamois brown grips and the drivers grip is a trashed different model.

I know Toney Penna was involved with First Flight golf designing clubs and then  Arnie got involved and then things sort of went downhill etc. etc. Do not know where these clubs fit in the timeline

There is no model designation but I was hoping some one could give me info on them. A little hard to tell if they are laminated or persimmon due to the stain, I'm pretty sure laminate.  But persimmon, maple, ash, redwood, Ga. pine? :cheesy:

Wondering if these are  good / decent / lousy model First Flights as far as playability goes?

They look great in person.

Thanks for any input !

Eric / zermatt7

Hope the pics come up !  (took three tries but they did)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by zermatt7, 12 May 2011 - 06:09 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

View Postzermatt7, on 12 May 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Hi,
Newbie here :rolleyes:

I just found this  set of "First Flight Hand Crafted Woods"  in a box of clubs in the attic and cannot remeber where / when I got them. Pretty sure I got them here in Atlanta and not Ohio where I moved from but ? ? ?

The steel shafts are "First Flight  'Hex Flex' regular flex" and are sort of like an octagonal barrel at the top. The three woods have really nice Avon Chamois brown grips and the drivers grip is a trashed different model.

I Know Toney Penna was involved with First Flight golf designing clubs and then  Arnie got involved and then things sort of went downhill etc. etc. Do not know where these clubs fit in the timeline

There is no model designation but I was hoping some one could give me info on them. A little hard to tell if they are laminated or persimmon due to the stain, I'm pretty sure laminate.  But persimmon, maple, ash, redwood, Ga. pine? :cheesy:

Wondering if these are  good / decent / lousy model First Flights as far as playability goes?

They look great in person.

Thanks for any input !

Eric / zermatt7

Hope the pics come up !  (took three tries but they did)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
These are laminated maple, as far as play ,it is all in the shaft, its up to you, if they feel good and go where you aim, who cares what the name says!Posted Image

#3 Ol_Pardner

Ol_Pardner

Grand Champion (Sumo, not Golf)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124317
  • Ebay ID:loneeagle11john
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:38 AM

Nice woods.  In 40+ years I have owned or played First Flight, Arnold Palmer, and (PG) Professional Golf Co. of Chattanooga TN, many times. I always found them to be very 'playable.'  Just as so many prefer forged over cast irons, for the softer 'feel,' I actually preferred laminated woods for the same reason. Softer feel, better control. In my younger days, distance was really not a probem for me, so sacrificing a couple yards by foregoing persimmon was not always an issue.

In fact, last January I picked up a set of First Flight FTD laminated woods for a friend, to go with a set of FF 'Standard' Irons in his collection.  1-3-4-5 same hex shaft as yours, but different (light yellow insert), $1-a-stick thrift store, grips dry and flaking.  On the way home, stopped at a school playground to hit a few mid' and short irons, figured 'what-the-heck,' dropped 3 golfballs and pulled out the FF 5-W: Temp in the mid 30s, crosswind, 1st shot chunked, 2d & 3d: 212 and 213 yds, straight, abouit 10 feet apart. Are they (your''s) playable? Yep, in fact, I have a similar set with lightweight steel shafts in my collection that occaisionally find their way into my vintage bag. Don't think that they are worth much $-wise, but the 'feel' whether on the range or the course is incredible. REALLY a nice break from clinking awtay with today's Coors-can-on-a-stick jumbo drivers.  So, tak'em out, hit a few, and enjoy them.

#4 drstroud

drstroud

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6994
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

First set of persimmon woods I remember my dad playing were first flight.  Brass weight at the back.  His were from the mid 1970s.  Keep those and play them.
Adams Fast 12 LS Aldila DVS
Callaway Steelhead 3 ProLite
Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro Apex 4
MacGregor MT Don White 50, 54, 58
PING Anser BeNi

#5 hpl

hpl

Lefty

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130190
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

I have a couple of sets of first flight woods.  One set is beautiful persimmon.  However, I have a set of 1968 first flight golden eagle irons including the monster sand wedge.  I just sent them to the Iron Factory to have new shafts put in.  I can't wait to get them back.  I wish I could find another set as backups.  However, they need to be Left Handed.

View Postdrstroud, on 11 June 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

First set of persimmon woods I remember my dad playing were first flight.  Brass weight at the back.  His were from the mid 1970s.  Keep those and play them.

#6 moehogan

moehogan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

I've got a set of FF "The Instrument" irons, 1i-SW ... sweet little forged muscle backs.  Anybody know anything about them?

#7 chrisbellaire

chrisbellaire

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47686
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

The Instrument lines were a private-label club made only for Pro Golf Distributors, in some areas known as Pro Golf Discount.  I don't know if there are any Pro Golf stores around anymore; they started in the Detroit area in the early 70's and then franchised nationwide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors