Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mizuno JPX-800.... can you be too good for GI clubs?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 00bolt

00bolt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Im about an 18 handicap and been playing 3+ years. Im still a beginner and currently taking lessons and practicing at range everyday during week on my lunch break. Im determined to get better and my ultimate goal (realize i wont get there right away) is to carry a single digit handicap.

That being said, Im on my 2nd set of clubs. When I first took up golf about 3 years ago, i didnt know anything about equipment or the game really. I bought a set of Nike Slingshot OS with graphite shafts. I played with that set for about a season. Back then i didnt have a real swing in place, so hard to say whether they were any good or not. But looking back, I know the shafts were not for me at all. But I do remember not like the huge shovel heads.

So after that I got a set of Adams A3 irons with dynalite stiff shafts. Iv used this set of irons for about 2 years now and like them, but want something new. Again, I dont think these shafts are for me. I want some regular S3000 shafts and no more graphite/light shafts.

So I have been looking around and see lots of clubs I "LIKE", but not sure whats best for me. I "like" the way blades look and really would love a set of those, but on other hand I know i could still use a little help on my missed shots, so why make myself suffer using a set of clubs that look pretty?

So I was looking at a set like R9, Ap2, MP53, and other players irons. But I got to thinking, should I go even more game improvement than that?

I have seen and heard alot of good things about the JPX800 irons and wonder if a set like this would be good for me? I want something that I can grow into and not have to buy a new set in a year. But at same time, I dont want to hate what I have either with huge heads like the Slingshots had...

btw, i know you will say go to store and hit and see what you like, but i have done that and its so hard. stores are on mats, indoor and very small areas... its tough for me to tell. at the store, i seemed to hit mp68 and jpx800 the same, but i know that wouldnt be the same result in a round of 18 on the course.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

ask Lee Westwood.......:rolleyes:
Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#3 00bolt

00bolt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

i thought he played ping or something...

anyway, whats big different in the JPX800 and the pro version? im not saying im too good for these or any GI clubs right now, but i dont have the money (or permission from wife) to get a new set ever year... so i want what i get next, to last me for a couple of years. And I sure hope that i wont be a 18 handicap anymore by then...

#4 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1859
  • Ebay ID:tpariff
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

There are MANY low single digit handicappers here playing GI irons.  And then there's a number of PGA Tour pros doing it too.  I don't think you'll ever be too "good" for GI irons.  It really boils down to what you're looking for in terms of ball flight and feel.  Some argue that GI irons don't allow you to work the ball as well as "players" irons.  I guess that can be good or bad, depending on your ability and desire to work it.

For reference I'm a 5 handicap and play Nike Full Cavity irons.  I've been there, done that with the blades and can't see myself ever going back as long as there are irons that look good, feel good and have GI features.

Good luck!
Kevin

#5 RJ1670

RJ1670

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24308
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm a 2.4 and I play Callaway X-22's.  None of us are good enough to hit the sweet spot every time so, why wouldn't you get the most forgiveness you can?  I understand you're eager to become a single digit but, the reality is, there are few single digits that play blades anymore.  There's a reason for that.  I know you read on here that guys are gaming blades but, I think this an anomaly compared to the whole golfing community.  Get fit for the most forgiving clubs you can and you'll be good for a long time.

#6 BriGTi

BriGTi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93961
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

I had the MP68s because i grew up hitting blades and muscle backs and i knew I could make myself play into them if I tried.
The problem was consistency. I could pure some shots and they felt great but I could just as easily miss it slightly and lose
distance and the line of the shot and get into trouble.
It became difficult for me to know which club to hit because I wasnt confident enough that I would make perfect contact which
blades tend to require.
I know many feel the 68's are quite forgiving for blades which may be the case. Im a lefty so finding many to try doesnt happen
but I knew for the amount I play and can practice they werent for me anymore.
I am now in the JPX-800's which on the Mizuno website they say they are for handicaps of I think 6-26 so take that for what its worth.
I like them so far in my limited amount of range sessions. They are taking some getting used to but even shots that feel horrible
seem to go a longer distance and straighter because of that bigger more forgiving head.
And for what its worth I have been playing golf for about 27 years about and play to a 12

Edited by BriGTi, 12 May 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#7 Colum

Colum

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127872
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

a good player could get used to using any clubs, and I don't think anyone would be "too good", but there are many better ball-strikers who simply don't like that GI style of clubs, there a those who prefer bladed irons as they control the ball better with it, they don't want or need game improvement features. And there are many improving golfers who don't like the GI club either as it just doesn't suit everyones style or taste.

The only way to know is to play with the GI clubs. The JPX, Ping G15 and Burner 2.0 are good GI clubs that are forgiving and very easy to get the ball airborne.

I bought a set of clubs recently and like you wanted to see the ball flight in the open rather than on the mat indoors. What I do when I go to the range is I look into the various bags of other range users and ask to try a club if they interest me, you could try that approach, I have found everyone I asked to be very obliging and most are enthusiastic to talk about their own sets.

#8 seis

seis

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15608
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

I was talking a new guy in my league the other night during a rain stoppage, (damn lightning detectors), and had heard that he was a decent golfer and has a single digit handicap. While I was talking to him I stole a look in his bag.  Driver, five hybrid, and a new full set of JPX 800 irons.  Good enough argument on the state of this set for me.  I am in my late fifties and late in the season I start to feel two many rounds in the hands.  A set of these in graphite shaft might fit the bill.

#9 ateupwithgolf

ateupwithgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8250
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

00bolt,
I'm a single digit handicap playing JPX 800's. Here's the deal though. I haven't had the chance to play much over the last year, so I thought I'd buy a new set of irons that were more GI than I've played in the past. I demoed the JPX 800 and liked them. My on course experience though was a bit different. The JPX 800 are the hottest faced irons I've ever hit (never hit the burners though). The ball will really shoot off the face of these. I like the looks, they certainly don't look like a shovel G15, not that there's anything wrong with that--- but for me these are too long in the short irons, too much variation in distance control. I was having to recalibrate all my iron distances too much and was airmailing too many greens.  So I decided to go with the JPX 800 pros in the short irons and do a combo set. So, I've got the 5 and 6 irons in the JPX 800 and the rest  are JPX 800 Pros. The pros don't have so much spring effect in the face and to me are more consistent. Also, Charles Howell III plays the PRO's, so if they were inconsistent as far as distance control, he certainly wouldn't be playing them.

As a beginner and a 18 handicap, I see no reason you wouldn't do well in the JPX 800 non pros. It will likely be a couple of years before you are able to get your handicap down to your immediate goal and by that time there will probably be another great model out that suits you better, once you have had more time to play and see what works for you. In the meantime, you will hit your irons further and have the most forgiveness that Mizuno offers in a club that doesn't have a huge wide sole. It just makes the game more fun, which is one requirement for you to keep your motivation up.  I'd also recommend you get fit on the Mizuno optimizer to see what iron shaft suits you best. Definitely do that. I'd also recommend steel shafts unless you have some arthritis issues, you can get sub 100 gram steel shafts without issue now. I just think they are more consistent for someone really wanting to get better. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

#10 Buddyjay

Buddyjay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84720

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:19 AM

View Posttpariff, on 12 May 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

There are MANY low single digit handicappers here playing GI irons.  And then there's a number of PGA Tour pros doing it too.  I don't think you'll ever be too "good" for GI irons.  It really boils down to what you're looking for in terms of ball flight and feel.  Some argue that GI irons don't allow you to work the ball as well as "players" irons.  I guess that can be good or bad, depending on your ability and desire to work it.

For reference I'm a 5 handicap and play Nike Full Cavity irons.  I've been there, done that with the blades and can't see myself ever going back as long as there are irons that look good, feel good and have GI features.

Good luck!
Kevin

+1.
Here is a post I just did on another thread.

Last year, I was playing with Ping G-10's. I got my HC down to a 6. I figured it was time to step up to better irons. I didn't want to invest in good blades for fear of not playing well so I bought I set of Maltby forged irons from Golf Works.
Very nice blades and I really liked the feel. However, even though I felt that I was hitting them well, my scores were rising. Many shots of mine do go high/left, but I noticed that my GIR was decreasing.

For the hell of it, I went back to my Pings two days ago and I hit almost every GIR. Could have been a fluke, but for me, I just felt like I got through the ball better. Granted it could have been "one of those days" where I could have used a broom stick and hit all the greens... but I believe the GI irons helped.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 leoh923

leoh923

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71328
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

Can you be too good for GI clubs?

NO

#12 lukkyseven

lukkyseven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128246

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Not trying to hi-jack here, but I feel it's on topic.  How about Wedges?  Could the same be said for these?  Or is there a point where you are too good for GI wedges b/c you have to make the ball bite a bit harder?  Sorry if this deserves to be in a completely different catagory, but I'm newer to golf and trying to gain some insight!

Thanks

#13 caller

caller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70411
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

You can play GI and be scratch.

I'm a 5.2 and play JPX-800 since last November.

This is the one solid club and I love it.

Being a huge putter and iron ho, I am particular about my irons.

It looks good from the top, Mizuno have done a great job masking the iron size looking smaller than actual size, very forgiving and most of all... accurate and long!

I don't care what people say about shoevel but this can get you next level.

I have been taking lessons and practice this iron and my average GIR is about 70% now.

If you have swing, you can play anything, don't have swing.... nothing will save you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors