Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Short driver shaft

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 golferag

golferag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87031
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Anybody have any experience using a driver shaft less than 45".  I am 6'2" with long arms.  I think a shorter driver shaft around 43" might help my accuracy.  

Does naybody know how to determine what your driver shaft length should be?  

Interested in hearing any pro's and con's on this.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Vintage1976

Vintage1976

2014 Bag is finally...d'oh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119640
  • Ebay ID:justgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

View Postgolferag, on 09 May 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

Anybody have any experience using a driver shaft less than 45".  I am 6'2" with long arms.  I think a shorter driver shaft around 43" might help my accuracy.  

A general rule is, you should be hitting as long a shaft as you can control. I'm about 5'10" and I go 44.5", but honestly if I could hit a 45" more consistently I would be playing it that long. The stuff about wrist to floor measurements and the like is really not reliable after you have developed your own golf swing.
BioCell+ / Phenom60
S9-1Pro / OzikXFW7
D100 / PXBlack6.0
S2Forged / C-Taper
Tricept / ProWhite
SS385

#3 fbang

fbang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128182
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Tiger was using a 43 1/2 inch shaft for a long time.  I'm not sure if he still us. I'm fairly confident that the average on tour is around 44 1/2.  

Nowadays everyone wants to max their carry and lower their spin rate etc.  I'll sacrifice some distance for more accuracy any day of the week.

#4 8orBetter

8orBetter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125027
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Absolutely I think you should. I'm 5'11 with longish arms and I'm playing 43.75 in my R9 Superdeep and will hit it past 95+ % of anybody reading this.

#5 golferag

golferag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

View Post8orBetter, on 09 May 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Absolutely I think you should. I'm 5'11 with longish arms and I'm playing 43.75 in my R9 Superdeep and will hit it past 95+ % of anybody reading this.

Do you play a shorter shaft in your 3 wood also?  If so, what length?

#6 bdigital22

bdigital22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61089

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

I game a 44" R7 driver and last season had my 3 wood trimmed 3/4" to play 42.5"    It has helped me hit the center of the face on both clubs more consistently.  Haven't looked back

#7 FAIRWAYFOUND!

FAIRWAYFOUND!

The relentless pursuit of the one putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83976
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

I think it depends on the head and how forgiving it is. I played an original R9 for a while and liked playing it at 44.5". Now with my SF long hosel I'm back to playing it at 45" (I was going to shorten it after the initial try). I'm hitting it as well or better than the shorter combo because of the forgiveness of the SF.

#8 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

Here is a "Ghetto" method to find the right club length and swing weight, without seeing a shop.

Get a whiteboard pen, some graffa tape, and a few coins.
- Mark the ball with a dot, facing sweet spot at address
- Hit a ball and look for impact mark.

- Against the heel side - Shaft is too long
- All over the face - Shaft is too long
- Out against the toe mostly - Shaft is to short
- Sweet spots more than 70 %, about maximum club length (within 3/4 of an inch large circle)

- To simulate different club lengths, put a 1/2 inch wide piece of tape on top of your grip, as you "chopped" that part of.
- Take your grip lower than the tape, and hit another ball - Look for impact marks.

- If your club head becomes to light (no control), put a peace of tape  on the butt of your club head (to protect it from scratches), then put a  coin on the tape, and seal it with some tape on top of it.
- A dime is a "dust" more than 2 grams, who equals to 1 Swing weight point
- Gripping down 0.5 will give the feeling of loosing 3 Swing weight points / 6 grams  / 3 x a dime from the club head.

But don't "trust" the standard value of the Club to be right for you.  Don't be afraid to try both higher and lower swing weight than standard  to find YOURS.

Its not precise, but you can also imitate another shaft weight, by adding weight 14" down from the butt.
- Swing weight and balance feel will be the same, but over all weight gains.

- Grip size, a bit larger might give your hands more comfort, relaxing  better for a better and more free release, that might gain some club  speed. -  Try that.
- Remember when you grip down, grip size goes down, and your grip might become to "tight".

Good luck!

Edited by Howard Jones, 10 May 2011 - 02:15 AM.

#9 360_CS

360_CS

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83083
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

View PostHoward Jones, on 10 May 2011 - 02:14 AM, said:

Here is a "Ghetto" method to find the right club length and swing weight, without seeing a shop.

- Sweet spots more than 70 %, about maximum club length (within 3/4 of an inch large circle)

- To simulate different club lengths, put a 1/2 inch wide piece of tape on top of your grip, as you "chopped" that part of.
- Take your grip lower than the tape, and hit another ball - Look for impact marks.

- If your club head becomes to light (no control), put a peace of tape  on the butt of your club head (to protect it from scratches), then put a  coin on the tape, and seal it with some tape on top of it.
- Gripping down 0.5 will give the feeling of loosing 3 Swing weight points / 6 grams  / 3 x a dime from the club head.

But don't "trust" the standard value of the Club to be right for you.  Don't be afraid to try both higher and lower swing weight than standard  to find YOURS.

Its not precise, but you can also imitate another shaft weight, by adding weight 14" down from the butt.

- Grip size, a bit larger might give your hands more comfort, relaxing  better for a better and more free release, that might gain some club  speed. -  Try that.
- Remember when you grip down, grip size goes down, and your grip might become to "tight".

Good luck!

Now that is a good post. Especially about the swing weights and coins. I have always wanted to cut down my driver but was worried about affecting the weight, now there is no excuses. Again Thanks.

#10 jewofgolf

jewofgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20264
  • Ebay ID:tourgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

One way to handle the changing grip size is to do the exercise with a reduced taper grip, such as the Lamkin performance plus.

Great post Howard!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 PinHunter

PinHunter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124737
  • Ebay ID:KHar5176
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

View Post8orBetter, on 09 May 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

lol. thats a pretty confident statement, pal....I would be willing to bet you are wrong

As for the question- I play a 44.5, down from a 45.5 and hit the ball consistantly further.  Do you find yourself choking down on your driver at all?  An easy way to check this is at the range, choke down on your driver and see where you are getting what you are looking for.  Or- if you have access to a fitter (trackman is great for this...), you can alwayshave him/her take a look at your swing/ball flight, etc.   Good luck!  

-I have always found it interesting that stock drivers have 45, 46, 46.5 shafts for "more distance"...pros can't hit 46.5 drivers consistantly in the fairway so how hell is a 12hc going to?
913 D2, ad di7x
rbz 3w, ad dj8x
mp68 3-pw, ti x100
Vokey 52* (x100), 56*,60* (s400)
Scotty Mid Slant/ ProV1x
Game Golf ID:  PinHunter

#12 GooseHook

GooseHook

Do you not?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1903

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

Absolutely.  I've played my driver at 44" or 44.25" for a year, and since doing so I've hit the ball farther than ever.
SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR Rescue 19, hM3 Black Tie
SLDR Rescue 24, Speeder 9.8 HB
JPX 825 Pro/ MP- T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#13 golferag

golferag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostHoward Jones, on 10 May 2011 - 02:14 AM, said:

Good luck!

Great Summary.  Thanks for the explanation.  
I have a Titleist 905R with a proforce V2 that I am thinking about reshafting with a shorter shaft.  Considering either a prolaunch blue or YS6+.

#14 mikeyun1992

mikeyun1992

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53858
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

I play 43.75" - 44" (I'm 5'8"), much better control than 45"+ drivers and my swing is more balanced. I think tour average is under 45"

#15 Cameron proz

Cameron proz

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122592
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

I play a 44" and i hit it super straight and far, honestly you will get better consistency with a shorter driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors