Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting with a seven iron

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarcellusW

MarcellusW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73090
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

One of my friends got angry at his putter and started using his 7-iron to putt.  When someone suggested it was a rules violation, I told him it was not, but the management might get angry if they saw him doing it because he could accidentally damage the green.

Overly picky or no?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BirdieMac

BirdieMac

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127904
  • Ebay ID:blickjr
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

You can putt with any club, although a 7 iron would not be a good choice.

#3 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

You can use whatever club you like to putt with. Just ask Ben Crenshaw or Paul Azinger. If you are causing undue damage to the green in the process, the course would be justified in asking you to leave.

#4 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

I would think the only effective way to putt with a 7-iron is to try to contact the ball with the leading edge of the club which would not affect the green in any way...  For the 7-iron to contact the green he would have had to be "chipping" the ball which would not only be bad etiquette, but a not very accurate way to get the ball in the hole.

#5 Augster

Augster

Mr. Fairway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Ebay ID:augster..8
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Tell him to putt with his sand wedge or a 2-hybrid next time.  WAY more accurate than a 7-iron.

#6 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1000

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

View PostMarcellusW, on 03 May 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

One of my friends got angry at his putter and started using his 7-iron to putt.  When someone suggested it was a rules violation, I told him it was not, but the management might get angry if they saw him doing it because he could accidentally damage the green.

Overly picky or no?

NO, it's not a rules violation.  Touring pros use wedges or hybrids and woods if something happens to their putter.  Often I opt for using my LW leading edge to putt over 18 holes, as it helps to insure my putting accuracy and tempo.  You can use any club.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#7 jim2722

jim2722

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67017
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Why not.....Tin Cup did it.................................Sorry had to....Posted Image

#8 crtssxc

crtssxc

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88078
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

As others have said, it is not agaisnt the rules and IMO not poor etiquette. After a good chip I routinely "blade" the ball into the hole using the leading edge of my wedge.  Now obviously your friend was using his iron from a considerable distance, but I believe the same logic applies.  I have seen people damage greens with putters (albeit not on purpose, but it happens I guess), so as long as it wasnt malicious... no harm, no foul.

#9 Pweb44

Pweb44

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67268
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

No rules were violated and IMO not poor etiquette either. There are been times where I've chipped out of a green side bunker and decided to use my wedge to putt the ball vs grabbing my putter. I've also have used a hybrid when just off the green in some longer cuts with a putter type stroke and just walked upto my ball after and used my hybrid to finish the ball into the hole if I was only a foot or so away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors