Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Maximum Strokes per hole

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 idiotkkid

idiotkkid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17960
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

I was wondering your thoughts on this.  

Usually when I play golf, I usually only take a maximum of double par on holes.  This is incase I blow up on a hole, I keep the speed of play decent.  I don't like to be the person who takes forever on the golf course.

I am a casual golfer, and only keep score sometimes and just to see where I am as a golfer.  I do not have a handicap, and don't really understand handicaps all that well.  

Is there a certain number of strokes I should play to?  Also where is a good site to start to keep track of handicaps, and information on them so that I can understand it better?

Thanks for your help

-Pete

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Charlie_Foxtrot

Charlie_Foxtrot

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17687
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

View Postidiotkkid, on Aug 16 2006, 10:25 AM, said:

Also where is a good site to start to keep track of handicaps, and information on them so that I can understand it better?

Thanks for your help

-Pete

Pete-

I'm in the same boat as you - don't really understand how handicaps are calculated or where to have it done.

I started this thread:  http://www.golfwrx.c...h...c=46776&hl=
and got a few answers that might be helpful to you.  

I'm going to try the My Topflite site that was suggested until I need an "official" handicap.

And maybe you can make more sense out of the USGA web site re handicaps than I did:
http://www.usga.org/.../handicaps.html

It gives a lot of peripheral information, but I still don't understand exactly how it works.  Maybe they want to keep it that way so that the local clubs can collect some revenue for calculating your official handicap.

Edited by Charlie_Foxtrot, 16 August 2006 - 01:24 PM.

#3 retep

retep

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17640
  • Ebay ID:junk4saledog

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

howdy,
i'm going to agree with you, and as i got a bit better i stopped at 3 over par.  remember, i am not a good golfer, and i used the yahoo handicap tracker for the past 2 years and it says i'm a 24 handicap.  Basically it has no been rare i did a 4 over on a hole, and so it seems to have evened out and i haven't had a 10 on a par 5 in a long time, so i guess i'm doing it right....   you should put in all your 18 hole rounds honestly and see what it spits out for you...

good luck!!! peter

#4 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

View Postidiotkkid, on Aug 16 2006, 12:25 PM, said:

I was wondering your thoughts on this.  

Usually when I play golf, I usually only take a maximum of double par on holes.  This is incase I blow up on a hole, I keep the speed of play decent.  I don't like to be the person who takes forever on the golf course.

I am a casual golfer, and only keep score sometimes and just to see where I am as a golfer.  I do not have a handicap, and don't really understand handicaps all that well.  

Is there a certain number of strokes I should play to?  Also where is a good site to start to keep track of handicaps, and information on them so that I can understand it better?

Thanks for your help

-Pete

Technically, you should finish out every hole according to the USGA (kudos to you for thinking about pace of play though! :help: ) .  However, at the end, you apply something called Equitable Stroke Control which is based on your Course Handicap.

Equitable Stroke Control Chart

Course Handicap Maximum Score
0-9 ............................Double Bogey
10-19 ............................7
20-29 ............................8
30-39 ............................9
40 or more.......................10

So you need to know your official handicap in order to obtain your course handicap.  

About.com has a great handicap faq which should answer most of your qeustions in plain english unlike USGA.  

GolfQ.com provides a free handicap service that always comes within +/- .1 within my USGA handicap.  It's free and it allows you to keep track of stats like up and down, fairways, greens, putts, etc.  Great service and lots of coupons to great courses around the country.  

Hope that helps.

#5 themouth1

themouth1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8185
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

The problem with waiting until you need a handicap to get one is that it is not that quick.  You need 10 scores to get a trend.  A trend is an estimate and most tourneys won't accept it.  You need 20 scores to get an official handicap.  If you play at all, you should just pay the 10.00 dollars and get an official one.

#6 idiotkkid

idiotkkid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17960

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

Thanks guys.  

Usually I'll finish out the hole as long as I'm keeping pace, or no one is behind me or my group.  

I usually play double par when the course is crowded, or if the group behind me or my group is on my heels.  Most of the time I play under double par, so its not like it is every hole.  It just when you have that hole that blows up in your face, and you can't seem to find your stroke.

-Pete

Edited by idiotkkid, 16 August 2006 - 04:10 PM.

#7 Charlie_Foxtrot

Charlie_Foxtrot

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17687
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

View Postthemouth1, on Aug 16 2006, 02:07 PM, said:

The problem with waiting until you need a handicap to get one is that it is not that quick.  You need 10 scores to get a trend.  A trend is an estimate and most tourneys won't accept it.  You need 20 scores to get an official handicap.  If you play at all, you should just pay the 10.00 dollars and get an official one.

Is there any reason you can't take the ones you have been entering into your unofficial handicap calculator and use them for a USGA approved handicap, as long as they otherwise comply with USGA rules?

For example, Let's say I have entered 50 rounds into the My Top Flite handicap calculator.  And to my surprise, I have actually gotten good enough that I would feel comfortable playing in a tournament.  Could I take the most recent 20 scores and put them toward my USGA approved handicap?

#8 shook23

shook23

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1121

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:17 PM

Not that I know of... I used some old scores when I was first starting keeping my handicap.

#9 themouth1

themouth1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:02 AM

If it is a larger amateur tourny, they will check and probably not take the handicap.  You also would have to wait until the system updates which is usually once a month.  Your club will probably also have rules against it.  Like I said before, it is better to bite the bullet and start a new one now.

#10 themouth1

themouth1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

If it is a larger amateur tourny, they will check and probably not take the handicap.  You also would have to wait until the system updates which is usually once a month.  Your club will probably also have rules against it.  Like I said before, it is better to bite the bullet and start a new one now.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors