Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 5 votes

2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT REVIEW

RAZR X MB RAZR X Tour RAZR X Callaway Irons TheGreekGrind

322 replies to this topic

#1 The GreekGrind

The GreekGrind

Invictus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4403
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT
RAZR X Forged v. RAZR X Tour v. Diablo Forged Irons Review

By Pete Pappas (TheGreekGrind)
On twitter
@TheGreekGrind
And on blogspot at http://www.thegreekgrind.blogspot.com

INTRODUCTION

***UPDATE: Comparison pictures of the RAZR X Muscleback and RAZR X Forged Irons are on page 8***

1.jpg
9352218637a12928816579l.jpg

With Callaway's new 2011 RAZR X line of irons out in full force and going strong, it's time to put them all to challenge: a long term, full season, comparative review, testing the RAZR X Forged, RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged irons (the Diablo Forged were introduced in the 2010 line).

And so I bring you the 2011 - 2012 CALLAWAY GOLF IRONS SHOOTOUT: RAZR X FORGED v. RAZR X TOUR v. DIABLO FORGED IRONS!

NOTE: There are 5 threads in this SHOOTOUT review.

Thread 1 is the INTRODUCTION Section
Thread 2 is the APPEARANCE Section
Thread 3 is the FEEL Section
Thread 4 is the PERFORMANCE Section
Thread 5 is the SUMMARIES & ULTIMATE CONCLUSIONS Section

1.jpg

Before I begin, I need to mention that this INTRODUCTION is an important read.  In particular, it gives the reader a general roadmap to the whole review, and maybe most importantly, helps them understand what went into the methodology that underlies the comparative conclusions.

As just alluded to, focus throughout this review will be on relative comparisons emphasizing similarities and differences among and between these irons.  Objective details and aspects are weighed the heaviest, and used to support these relative comparisons as much as possible.  (However subjective opinions are unavoidable, and are also given when appropriate).

So for example, when I discuss offset and top lines, I'll mention that the RAZR X Forged irons have less offset than both the RAZR X Tour and Diablo Forged irons.  And that the Diablo Forged irons have a thinner top line than the RAZR X Tour irons, but not as thin as the RAZR X Forged irons.

I won't say a particular set of irons has a lot or a little offset.  Or that another set of irons has thin top lines or wide top lines.  Reasonable people will disagree what constitutes more or less offset, thin or wide top lines.

2.jpg

Similarly, when I discuss performance (initially) I won't talk about something such as which irons are the longest, since different swing speeds and angles of attack will result in varying differences in distance for different people.

Instead I'll discuss things such as relative comparative launch angles and trajectories (based on some underlying objective standard or aspect).  For example I'll talk about how the RAZR X Forged short irons launch higher than the RAZR X Tour irons, but lower than the Diablo Forged irons (with club design as the underlying objective aspect supporting these results).  

In addition, the RAZR X Forged, RAZR X Tour, and Diablo Forged irons (as well as the FT irons, which will receive brief mention), all have the same identical shafts, the Nippon N.S PRO 990GH.  Using identical shafts in all the irons is beneficial in distinguishing performance differences and similarities between these clubs, as they relate primarily to the iron head designs themselves.  And when comparisons are based predominantly on the iron heads and designs themselves (with the shaft held constant), the relative results are more likely to be applicable to all varieties of swing types (diggers and sweepers), swing planes (steeper and flatter), and even swing speeds (faster and slower).

3.jpg

It should also be pointed out, that certain assumptions will be made at times in different categories.  For example in the performance section, I make the assumption when discussing turf interaction in the playability category, that narrower soles are better out of the rough than wider soles.  Some might believe that wider soles are better because they glide through the rough easier, while others might believe thinner soles are better because cut through the rough better.

4.jpg

However it shouldn't matter if you believe thinner soles are more playable or wider soles are more playable, because the various irons will be described, and then ranked for playability, relative to one another, based on objective details and aspects of club design like sole width, face profile, and other elements.  So even if you believe wider soles are better out of the rough, you'll be able to form your own conclusions and relative rankings regarding playability out of the rough, based on those same objective factors.

The results and comparisons will come from four main sources.  Some information co