Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Dissapointed with Ping Warranty Policy

74 replies to this topic

#1 mikec222

mikec222

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64084
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

So yesterday I was out playing my second round of the year and I noticed  two cracks towards the upper half of my g5 3  wood.   Didn't think much of it, because I ahve heard time and time again of Ping's excellent customer service and warranty coverage, and was sure they would take care of it and send me some sort of replacement.

I went to my local Golftown, where I used to work and one of the staff called Ping to let them know and work on a replacement.   However Ping only offered 50% off a new model.  This gets me absolutly no where as I work at a golf course and get most of my gear at this price anyway.  This is actually worse, because if I didnt have to return the club I could sell the shaft for a few bucks.

I called Ping myself this morning and received the same answer. Needless to say, I am quite dissapointed. Yes the club is a few years old, but that doesn't mean the face should cave in already.  I worked at a cheap custom club store where the manufacturers gave lifetime warranties on everythign.  I expected much more from Ping.

Does anyone have any suggestions? and has this happened to any of you with Ping or other OEM's

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tomg1969

tomg1969

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37110
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

View Postmikec222, on 26 April 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

So yesterday I was out playing my second round of the year and I noticed  two cracks towards the upper half of my g5 3  wood.   Didn't think much of it, because I ahve heard time and time again of Ping's excellent customer service and warranty coverage, and was sure they would take care of it and send me some sort of replacement.

I went to my local Golftown, where I used to work and one of the staff called Ping to let them know and work on a replacement.   However Ping only offered 50% off a new model.  This gets me absolutly no where as I work at a golf course and get most of my gear at this price anyway.  This is actually worse, because if I didnt have to return the club I could sell the shaft for a few bucks.

I called Ping myself this morning and received the same answer. Needless to say, I am quite dissapointed. Yes the club is a few years old, but that doesn't mean the face should cave in already.  I worked at a cheap custom club store where the manufacturers gave lifetime warranties on everythign.  I expected much more from Ping.

Does anyone have any suggestions? and has this happened to any of you with Ping or other OEM's

Hey I understand, but honestly, how long do you expect PING to warranty the club? The G5 is now almost 3 generations old (4-5 years I believe which is significantly longer than most new automobiles)
When is it no longer their responsibility? They offered half off.....more than they probably needed to do. I think that's pretty good customer service. What was your expectation? A brand new G15, K15 or I15 3 wood? Thats not reasonable.
It sucks that the face caved in but its just time for you to buy a new club in my opinion.

#3 Travis_can't_golf

Travis_can't_golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125936

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

That sucks man.

#4 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1278

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

I think the G5 is like 5-6 years old right?  I can understand your frustration but Ping cannot exactly have a 5 year warranty policy on clubs you know.

#5 ping rat

ping rat

Tour Winner

• 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116718
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:herpitat
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

View Posttomg1969, on 26 April 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

Hey I understand, but honestly, how long do you expect PING to warranty the club? The G5 is now almost 3 generations old (4-5 years I believe which is significantly longer than most new automobiles)
When is it no longer their responsibility? They offered half off.....more than they probably needed to do. I think that's pretty good customer service. What was your expectation? A brand new G15, K15 or I15 3 wood? Thats not reasonable.
It sucks that the face caved in but its just time for you to buy a new club in my opinion.

Hell yeah its like getting 50% trade in on a new club, it amazes me how much we can b***h about OEM's customer service because we want their latest offering when there is a problem with a (lets face it) out dated club that they no longer make, try this the next time your car breaks down outside of warranty, oh wait that would be crazy, well whats the diffrence

G30, Miyazaki JDL 6 stiff
Exotics XCG6 3w, AD DI 6 S
Exotics XCG6 22* AD DI 8 S
Mizuno JPX 850 Pro C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 54:10 & 58:07
too many putters
WITB Link

#6 rl4673

rl4673

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31989
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

I think 50% is pretty fair, too.

#7 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80461
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

So why don't you put in a factory ping 3 wood shaft, sell the one in it currently, get 50% off a new one and put the money u make on the shaft towards the new one. Seems like your getting a decent bargain. Your club is older and I don't think they should have to replace it for free, given its age. I am however sorry your club cracked as that does stink.

#8 dalehead

dalehead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33032
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 26 April 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

I think the G5 is like 5-6 years old right?  I can understand your frustration but Ping cannot exactly have a 5 year warranty policy on clubs you know.

Agree on the no 5 year warranty statement. Your club cannot be repaired, so you would be made whole if Ping sent you a used G5. Since they can't do this, 50% off a new club sounds fair. The fact that you say you can already get this deal is irrelevant.

What is the policy of other manufacturers? Thats what you have to compare Ping's policy to before you say theirs sucks.

#9 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Perfectly fair since they probably can't offer you another g5 wood

#10 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

Were you expecting a lifetime warranty on a golf club?

How does Ping know how you treated those clubs over the past 6 seasons?  They may have been left outside or in the trunk of a car where temperature fluctuations are extreme increasing the aging process exponentially.  These are tools that you are smashing into a hard object as well as the turf tens of thousands of times over that period, eventually they are going to fail.  Be glad you got 6 seasons out of it.

I know there have been numerous threads about Cally and their customer service but they replace older models because the joint between the composite and metal did break down quicker than they thought it would.  

I think Ping offering you 50% off is a great deal and shows class and respect towards their consumers on their part.  If you don't want it, sell me the broken club and I'll take that deal!

If you really want the G5 again, buy the G15 with your discount, sell it, take funds and buy another, keep profit.  They are offering you a cherry deal.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 JinxyJ08

JinxyJ08

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80392
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

Taylormade does it........(and I can't stand that company) but they warranty r5 and r7 clubs and those are just as old if not older.....lol and WAY more generations than the g5 haha.

#12 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

View Postminhjn, on 26 April 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Perfectly fair since they probably can't offer you another g5 wood

Agreed. How many used G5's could you buy with your new half price club if you sold it? A rack full I'm guessing.

Edited by jaskanski, 26 April 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#13 Kamen

Kamen

Kamen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115233
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Agreed with the rest of the posters. Ping was more than fair, it's unfortunate but time to buy a new club.
Epon Zero
S-Yard XV 15 Fairway
Epon AF 902
Epon AF 302 4-PW
Miura KM350 Putter
Miura 51 Proto, 56K, 60Y Wedges

#14 Section ThirtyOne

Section ThirtyOne

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5872
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

50% off is completely reasonable IMHO.

The G5 series was introduced in 2005, which means your club could potentially be 6 years old. Do you not feel you derived 50% of the value of the club over that time? Lets say you paid $199 for that fairway wood... if that is the case, you essentially paid $16.66/year for the club. Good deal in my books!  :lol:

#15 preacher

preacher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18647
  • Ebay ID:oldschoolbug
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

I stand by Ping on this one. Very nice of them to offer that kind of a discount on a current model. The face of the modern day driver will not last forever. The G5 was a nice driver in its day but that has long passed. Time to pony up for a new club.

--jason

#16 jaydub1228

jaydub1228

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97393
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Geez, i guess we should all just buy one set of golf clubs for the rest of our lives and get them warranty replaced when they break.

#17 ping rat

ping rat

Tour Winner

• 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116718
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:herpitat
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

View PostJinxyJ08, on 26 April 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

Taylormade does it........(and I can't stand that company) but they warranty r5 and r7 clubs and those are just as old if not older.....lol and WAY more generations than the g5 haha.

And if this trend is followed up by other OEM's, and i can assure you it won't and the OEM's that are doing it will eventually stop as it is going to be exploited, the ending result in the not to distant future is $700-$900 price tags on woods.
G30, Miyazaki JDL 6 stiff
Exotics XCG6 3w, AD DI 6 S
Exotics XCG6 22* AD DI 8 S
Mizuno JPX 850 Pro C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 54:10 & 58:07
too many putters
WITB Link

#18 Shankopottamus

Shankopottamus

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85980
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

View Post_MS22_, on 26 April 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

Were you expecting a lifetime warranty on a golf club?

How does Ping know how you treated those clubs over the past 6 seasons?  They may have been left outside or in the trunk of a car where temperature fluctuations are extreme increasing the aging process exponentially.  These are tools that you are smashing into a hard object as well as the turf tens of thousands of times over that period, eventually they are going to fail.  Be glad you got 6 seasons out of it.

I know there have been numerous threads about Cally and their customer service but they replace older models because the joint between the composite and metal did break down quicker than they thought it would.  

I think Ping offering you 50% off is a great deal and shows class and respect towards their consumers on their part.  If you don't want it, sell me the broken club and I'll take that deal!

If you really want the G5 again, buy the G15 with your discount, sell it, take funds and buy another, keep profit.  They are offering you a cherry deal.

I play around 40 to 50 rounds per year. My normal use of a 3w in a round is around 5 strokes. That's 250 strokes in live play on average. Say I hit the range once per week and hit my 3w 10 more times. That's an additional 300 impacts on the 3w in a 30 week season. Add another 100 strokes for good measure and we're up to 650 x 6 years = 3900 strokes. I think 3900 is an awful lot for a 3w. So, I'm saying your example of tens of thousands of times is greatly exaggerated. I also have never seen anything credible about temperature fluctuations increasing the aging process exponentially. Curious where you got that information...

The discount Ping offered him is more than fair and completely unnecessary. The OP is fortunate to get a dime out of them. And he's still here complaining. Ridiculous.

#19 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostShankopottamus, on 26 April 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

I play around 40 to 50 rounds per year. My normal use of a 3w in a round is around 5 strokes. That's 250 strokes in live play on average. Say I hit the range once per week and hit my 3w 10 more times. That's an additional 300 impacts on the 3w in a 30 week season. Add another 100 strokes for good measure and we're up to 650 x 6 years = 3900 strokes. I think 3900 is an awful lot for a 3w. So, I'm saying your example of tens of thousands of times is greatly exaggerated. I also have never seen anything credible about temperature fluctuations increasing the aging process exponentially. Curious where you got that information...

The discount Ping offered him is more than fair and completely unnecessary. The OP is fortunate to get a dime out of them. And he's still here complaining. Ridiculous.

Last year I got in 125 or so rounds at I'd guess 7 strokes per between tee and turf, and another 5 (being modest) warming up on the range before hand, 12 x 125 x 6 = 9000 . . . and I didn't include practice sessions on the range yet.  So over 10000 for me, yep.  And I know guys who play more and less than I do . . .

So I'll back it off to half that, I was making a point saying 10000+ in my first post, but still 5000 is not only fair but also many many strikes.

And if you think extreme temperature fluctuations (like exist in a car trunk or in direct sunlight) do not cause an increase in terms of failure on thin metal and welds I really don't think I want to push the issue further.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#20 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1859
  • Ebay ID:tpariff
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

Golf equipment blue book lists the trade in value of a G5 fairway wood at $25.18 on the high end.  Resale value is listed at $50.35 on the high end.  So Ping offering about $100 off a new fairway wood is more than fair for a club that is 5-6 years old.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1309

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

I think Ping is being generous.  Were I in their shoes, I'd laugh at the thought that you want a replacement on a 5 year old club.  I'd also make you pay shipping both ways if you wanted it back.

I just broke a persimmon 5 wood.  Should I get a replacement on a 25 year old club?
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#22 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1859
  • Ebay ID:tpariff
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

View Poststage1350, on 26 April 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

I think Ping is being generous.  Were I in their shoes, I'd laugh at the thought that you want a replacement on a 5 year old club.  I'd also make you pay shipping both ways if you wanted it back.

I just broke a persimmon 5 wood.  Should I get a replacement on a 25 year old club?

Ummm, no.  You should sue Terminix because they failed to treat said 5 wood for termites, and therefore it broke.

#23 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

it wouldn't have crossed my mind to even ask about a replacement on a club that old. Ping was being generous with their offer.
Taylormade R1 BLACK Driver
RBZ Tour 13* 3 wood - my 2 wood
Adams F10 15* and 18* FW woods
Adams A12 Idea 21* Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons 5-gw
Clev 588 56* s/w & Classic #2 putter

#24 deep18

deep18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8767
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Most OEM's warranties are good for 2 years.  Most of them after that won't give you anything if something happens after the two years so the fact that Ping is offering what they are is pretty solid.  Kudos to you for playing the club for that long though, there are some on this forum that have switched 3 woods two or three times since I started typing. :)
915D3
RBZ Tour
RBZ Stage 2 Tour Proto
AP2 712
Vokey
DH89

#25 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

View Postdeep18, on 26 April 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Most OEM's warranties are good for 2 years.  Most of them after that won't give you anything if something happens after the two years so the fact that Ping is offering what they are is pretty solid.  Kudos to you for playing the club for that long though, there are some on this forum that have switched 3 woods two or three times since I started typing. :)

Haha! So true!

#26 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Let's see...

• Club is WELL out of warranty.
  • Club is 3 generations old.
  • They offer you half off a new (presumably improved) model.

What a bunch of scoundrels.  

Hope your goal wasn't for Ping to come out of this looking bad... if that is their practice, they've gone up a few notches in my book.

#27 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I laughed when I read G5 and warranty in the same sentence. 50% is really good, I'm replacing a 5 year old Cleveland launcher and the last thing I'd think about doing is calling cleveland and asking for a replacement because the club doesn't have the 'pop' it use to. Ping is going to the moon and back on this one

View Post_MS22_, on 26 April 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostShankopottamus, on 26 April 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

Last year I got in 125 or so rounds at I'd guess 7 strokes per between tee and turf, and another 5 (being modest) warming up on the range before hand, 12 x 125 x 6 = 9000 . . . and I didn't include practice sessions on the range yet.  So over 10000 for me, yep.  And I know guys who play more and less than I do . . .

So I'll back it off to half that, I was making a point saying 10000+ in my first post, but still 5000 is not only fair but also many many strikes.

And if you think extreme temperature fluctuations (like exist in a car trunk or in direct sunlight) do not cause an increase in terms of failure on thin metal and welds I really don't think I want to push the issue further.

Not to sound like a jerk but that's not an argument. Steel and metal don't fail when its exposed to 120* heat. If that is the case then why don't the pots and pans I cook with melt when I put them in the 400* oven? Why don't steel buildings collapse on a hot day? Your argument just doesn't make sense to me without any evidence.

Edited by italianstallion, 26 April 2011 - 04:31 PM.

http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#28 Polo-D

Polo-D

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13074
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Really? Do you expect Ping to replace a club 4-5 years old and that I'm sure you got it on second hand? LOL

Edited by Polo-D, 26 April 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#29 Ram02v8

Ram02v8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126258
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Sorry to hear that. Ping has always been pretty good about that stuff.

#30 sebabmw

sebabmw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76163

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Wow 50% is more than fair, take that and run!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors