Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Least favorite design feature on a golf hole.


373 replies to this topic

#361 Strömsborg

Strömsborg

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139955
  • Joined: 09/26/2011
  • Location:Stockholm
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 18 June 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

View PostStrömsborg, on 18 June 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

View PostHighSpeedScene, on 16 June 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Postknock it close, on 15 June 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostPepperturbo, on 15 June 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

I don't understand why would that bother anyone.   So you can't go for the green.  Just hit the appropriate club to the red landing area and iron into green.  I doubt the designer thought about driver to green.

The other day I watched a guy ignore the target landing area on nearly every hole, in lieu of picking a line that wasn't considered by the designer of the course we were on... I know that because most courses its somewhat easy to identify where the designer wants the golfer to hit to.  From elevated tee on on hole, I faded 2i around trees and had 145yd leave and pared it.  He when over trees not knowing what was up there.  Turned out he took double, all because driver was his club du jour on most long holes.
You realize that if you hit into the red landing area you are completely blocked out by the trees right? That very well may be the worst hole I have ever seen.

I can't think of one worse

Played there again yesterday. The group in front of us were in trouble and when it was time for us to hit we were six guys on the tee and we decided to play it all at once. Out of six tee shots there were two in the rough over the bunker, two in the fairway to the right, one in the rough just short of the green (315 yards, that guy's got some speed) and myself I ended up in the red area after hitting a the pine tree just in front of the tee box. My stock shape is a push draw and I was stupid and teed it up on the right edge of the tee box. Anyway, I had the the last oak tree directly in line with the flag and my only option was to hit a hooked and punched three quarter six iron to the right edge and try to chip it close.
Remarkably all three in the group that caught up with us made a birdie (hcp's between 2.5 and 0.5) and in my group there were two pars and my bogey (hcp's ~3.5). It's not a hard hole, if you have 260 carry or more with your driver.

Apologies if these ideas have been discussed, I didn't see them.

1. If your stock shot is a push draw, can't you just go over the trees to the right? (So you draw it into the area behind the shaded red area, drawing it over the trees to the right of the tee box).  Those trees look much closer to you than the ones in front,so  you can probably get a hybrid/3w over them and then hit a long club to the green.  Its shorter distance so you can clear them easily it looks like and get far enough right.  You'll be pretty far back (directly behind the red shaded area) but in play.

2.  What's left of the tee box?  On our #6 I play it up #1 (its a similar hole thats super tight).  Can you go anywhere left?

1. You mean here?
Posted Image
That means hitting an area 20 yards deep 220 yards away, it's completely blind from the tee and sloping away. Hitting over the trees to the right is easy but the target is microscopic. A slice will be lost. A hook and short will be blocked by trees. Long and you are likely blocked by trees and you will be in the rough with the ball below your feet.

2. To the left is a large open area shared with the 17 (also red on the map), hitting it there is pure guesswork. The carry is almost as long as if aming at the fairway and provided you find your ball (and didn't kill someone on the 17th) you have a about a 10% chance of having a shot at the green.

Edited by Strömsborg, 18 June 2017 - 03:29 PM.

Titleist 910 9°
Ping G5 15°
Titleist 585h 19°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 24°
MacGregor MT Pro CM 5-pw
MacGregor MT Pro DW 52, 56, 60­°
Ping Redwood Piper S

On the bench:
Titleist 910 10° (and a longer shaft)
TM SLDR S 17°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18°
Titleist 585h 21°

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#362 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Joined: 08/02/2016
  • Location:Louisiana
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostStrömsborg, on 18 June 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

That means hitting an area 20 yards deep 220 yards away, it's completely blind from the tee and sloping away. Hitting over the trees to the right is easy but the target is microscopic. A slice will be lost. A hook and short will be blocked by trees. Long and you are likely blocked by trees and you will be in the rough with the ball below your feet.

2. To the left is a large open area shared with the 17 (also red on the map), hitting it there is pure guesswork. The carry is almost as long as if aming at the fairway and provided you find your ball (and didn't kill someone on the 17th) you have a about a 10% chance of having a shot at the green.

Number 2 doesn't work because of that stupid single tree in between the other trees.  Yeah, this hole is dumb.

How far is the red shaded area you just added from the tee box (the one I suggested)?  20 yard target isn't *that* bad if its a short enough club, and it looks like one redeeming feature is being able bounce a shot into the green complex, so 220 out while tough isn't the end of the world if isn't a carry.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 18 June 2017 - 06:45 PM.

Ping G30 10.5*, Graffolloy Blue X
Cally Xhot Deep 13*, Graffolloy Blue X
Adams dhy Pro 18* 21*, Tour Blue X
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW, Ozik Matrix HD 7.0
TaylorMade RAC 52/12 57/13, Rifle Flighted 6.0

Custom Edel
Maxfli u6 Tour Soft

2

#363 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

I'd probably go left. Hit hybrid or 3i. What would that leave you in? The second might even be shorter than playing the actual hole. Link for Google earth or maps?

3

#364 mshills

mshills

    Consistently inconsistent.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
  • Location:Morris County, NJ
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 893

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

In course O.B. is the one thing that irks me. Out of bounds is just that -- off the property, not on the golf course.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg, Fubuki ZT60
TEE CB2 15 deg, Motore
Ping Rapture 18 deg hybrid
Ping G10 4i-UW
Scor 53 and 57 deg
Cleveland Almost Belly putter

4

#365 Strömsborg

Strömsborg

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139955
  • Joined: 09/26/2011
  • Location:Stockholm
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostMudguard, on 19 June 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

I'd probably go left. Hit hybrid or 3i. What would that leave you in? The second might even be shorter than playing the actual hole. Link for Google earth or maps?

https://www.google.s...7.6326618?hl=en

Titleist 910 9°
Ping G5 15°
Titleist 585h 19°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 24°
MacGregor MT Pro CM 5-pw
MacGregor MT Pro DW 52, 56, 60­°
Ping Redwood Piper S

On the bench:
Titleist 910 10° (and a longer shaft)
TM SLDR S 17°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18°
Titleist 585h 21°

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

5

#366 warfelg

warfelg

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208607
  • Joined: 10/25/2012
  • Location:Central, Pa
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postmshills, on 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

In course O.B. is the one thing that irks me. Out of bounds is just that -- off the property, not on the golf course.

Aerial OB is even worse than on course.

6

#367 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6.4
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 25 April 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Played a course with a couple of golfwrx's yesterday at Metamora CC, and something came to my attention.  As a comparative short knocker (my good ones go 240), one of my least favorite holes is a long par 4 with a forced layup off the tee.  I don't want to hit a 200 yard tee ball and leave myself with 200+ in.  And it was even worse than that, because it was a dogleg left, with the tee ball over a lake.  The big hitters can cut the corner, but to be safe I can't do that.  So any amount I push it right leaves me with an even longer approach shot.

Another type of hole I don't like is one whose design overly punishes a tee ball which is barely offline.  A course called Greystone which we played Saturday has the final two holes like this.  They're ridiculous designs.  Hit a tee ball 1 foot too far right and it's as bad as hitting it 50 yards too far right.

Yeah #6 is a b!tch
Cobra LTD 11.5D w/ Elements Chrome 6F4
TM M2 16.5* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 19* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 5-PW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist 714 AP2 GW w/ Nippon Modus3 120s
Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB2

7

#368 PooN

PooN

    poor little ball...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125767
  • Joined: 04/02/2011
  • Location:Wisco
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:hydrogenalized
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

Bunkers with vegetation growing in or down into them.  These abound at Whistling Straits where if you hit a ball and it rolls into a small but deep bunker it may hang on the vertical grassy/fescue-y edge.  No stance, no swing, no shot.  You basically have to just knock it free down into the sand and then play your regular bunker shot.  Either make it a sand bunker or make it a grassy pot bunker, but not both.

Posted Image
Example of pin high shot that rolled into the "bunker" but hung on the lip.  Picture doesn't do justice to the severity of the slope of the grassy area.

8

#369 noahdavis_7

noahdavis_7

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456240
  • Joined: 02/22/2017
  • Location:Bristol, FL
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Par 3s longer than 220. A 250 yard par 3 is just ridiculous, and I say that as a pretty decent player!
TM M1 430 with a Fukijura speeder 661 X flex
TM RBZ 3 Wood 15* with the stock stiff shaft
Nike VR blade 3 iron with S flex stock
Mizuno MP-68 4-PW
Nike SV 56*

Vokey SM6 F Grind  52* GW
TM Tour Spider Black 35"
TM TP5x ball

9

#370 duffer987

duffer987

    I'm not laughing. I'm just befuddled.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 4139

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostPooN, on 21 June 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Bunkers with vegetation growing in or down into them.  These abound at Whistling Straits where if you hit a ball and it rolls into a small but deep bunker it may hang on the vertical grassy/fescue-y edge.  No stance, no swing, no shot.  You basically have to just knock it free down into the sand and then play your regular bunker shot.  Either make it a sand bunker or make it a grassy pot bunker, but not both.

Posted Image
Example of pin high shot that rolled into the "bunker" but hung on the lip.  Picture doesn't do justice to the severity of the slope of the grassy area.

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

Taylormade M1 12*: Set to 11*
Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*, 24*
Callaway Legacy Black 5-PW
Mizuno T4 54*, 58* | Odyssey MXM #7
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

Apparently wearing trousers makes me elitist.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#371 PooN

PooN

    poor little ball...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125767
  • Joined: 04/02/2011
  • Location:Wisco
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:hydrogenalized
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

View Postduffer987, on 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker.  I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to.  That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.

Posted Image

Edited by PooN, 21 June 2017 - 10:00 PM.


11

#372 Yzmerf

Yzmerf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152219
  • Joined: 12/25/2011
  • Location:Lake Elsinore, CA
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:54 PM

Blind tee shots.
TaylorMade M2 10.5 Mitsubishi Tensei X
Epic Sub Zero 15 degree Fujikura Pro 72 Green X
Ping G25 20 degree
TaylorMade 770 4-P KBS Tour FLT
TaylorMade MG 50-09
TaylorMade MG 54-11
TaylorMade MG 58-11
Evnroll ER2
2016 Chrome Soft

12

#373 duffer987

duffer987

    I'm not laughing. I'm just befuddled.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 4139

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostPooN, on 21 June 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker.  I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to.  That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.


I'm just messing. I liked the mitigation of the pin high is all.
I don't mind the shaggy faces if the ball can sit up - which it seems to be there. Then it's just a matter of finding a stance and popping it up, like any other extreme uphill in the rough shot you face on a links/faux links course. If they have shaggy backsides and you end up with a downhiller instead of it sitting in the bunker, that would annoy me.
Taylormade M1 12*: Set to 11*
Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*, 24*
Callaway Legacy Black 5-PW
Mizuno T4 54*, 58* | Odyssey MXM #7
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

Apparently wearing trousers makes me elitist.

13

#374 umassgolfer

umassgolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58186
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Hoboken, NJ
  • Ebay ID:frstbaseman18
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

View Postduffer987, on 22 June 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

View PostPooN, on 21 June 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker.  I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to.  That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.


I'm just messing. I liked the mitigation of the pin high is all.
I don't mind the shaggy faces if the ball can sit up - which it seems to be there. Then it's just a matter of finding a stance and popping it up, like any other extreme uphill in the rough shot you face on a links/faux links course. If they have shaggy backsides and you end up with a downhiller instead of it sitting in the bunker, that would annoy me.

Agreed. I can't stand shaggy backsides. Wait...what are we talking about here?

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors