Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Least favorite design feature on a golf hole.

381 replies to this topic

#361 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1441

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostStrömsborg, on 18 June 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

That means hitting an area 20 yards deep 220 yards away, it's completely blind from the tee and sloping away. Hitting over the trees to the right is easy but the target is microscopic. A slice will be lost. A hook and short will be blocked by trees. Long and you are likely blocked by trees and you will be in the rough with the ball below your feet.

2. To the left is a large open area shared with the 17 (also red on the map), hitting it there is pure guesswork. The carry is almost as long as if aming at the fairway and provided you find your ball (and didn't kill someone on the 17th) you have a about a 10% chance of having a shot at the green.

Number 2 doesn't work because of that stupid single tree in between the other trees.  Yeah, this hole is dumb.

How far is the red shaded area you just added from the tee box (the one I suggested)?  20 yard target isn't *that* bad if its a short enough club, and it looks like one redeeming feature is being able bounce a shot into the green complex, so 220 out while tough isn't the end of the world if isn't a carry.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 18 June 2017 - 06:45 PM.

aeroburner tp 9.5*, pxv 6.5
xr 15*, pxv 6.5
og burner rescue tour 18* 23*, s300
j40 dpc 5-9, s300
j40 dpc pw, x100
j15 51* 56*, spinner
fitted edel

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#362 Mudguard

Mudguard

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

I'd probably go left. Hit hybrid or 3i. What would that leave you in? The second might even be shorter than playing the actual hole. Link for Google earth or maps?

#363 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 957

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

In course O.B. is the one thing that irks me. Out of bounds is just that -- off the property, not on the golf course.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Ping ISI BeCu 4i - S2
OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu LW
Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

#364 Strömsborg

Strömsborg

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139955
  • Handicap:2.9
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostMudguard, on 19 June 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

I'd probably go left. Hit hybrid or 3i. What would that leave you in? The second might even be shorter than playing the actual hole. Link for Google earth or maps?

https://www.google.s...7.6326618?hl=en
Titleist 910 8.5°
TM SLDR S 17°
Titleist 585h 19°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 24°
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
MacGregor MT Pro DW 52, 56, 60­°
Ping Redwood Piper S

On the bench:
Titleist 910 9.5° (and a longer shaft)
Ping G5 15°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18°
Titleist 585h 21°

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

#365 warfelg

warfelg

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208607
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postmshills, on 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

In course O.B. is the one thing that irks me. Out of bounds is just that -- off the property, not on the golf course.

Aerial OB is even worse than on course.

#366 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• 1,611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:4.0
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 899

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 25 April 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Played a course with a couple of golfwrx's yesterday at Metamora CC, and something came to my attention.  As a comparative short knocker (my good ones go 240), one of my least favorite holes is a long par 4 with a forced layup off the tee.  I don't want to hit a 200 yard tee ball and leave myself with 200+ in.  And it was even worse than that, because it was a dogleg left, with the tee ball over a lake.  The big hitters can cut the corner, but to be safe I can't do that.  So any amount I push it right leaves me with an even longer approach shot.

Another type of hole I don't like is one whose design overly punishes a tee ball which is barely offline.  A course called Greystone which we played Saturday has the final two holes like this.  They're ridiculous designs.  Hit a tee ball 1 foot too far right and it's as bad as hitting it 50 yards too far right.

Yeah #6 is a b!tch
Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Cobra F7 19* w/Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85s
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB8 tour flowneck/TP Mills Trad II roundneck/SC Del Mar Cali

#367 PooN

PooN

poor little ball...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125767
  • Ebay ID:hydrogenalized
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

Bunkers with vegetation growing in or down into them.  These abound at Whistling Straits where if you hit a ball and it rolls into a small but deep bunker it may hang on the vertical grassy/fescue-y edge.  No stance, no swing, no shot.  You basically have to just knock it free down into the sand and then play your regular bunker shot.  Either make it a sand bunker or make it a grassy pot bunker, but not both.

Posted Image
Example of pin high shot that rolled into the "bunker" but hung on the lip.  Picture doesn't do justice to the severity of the slope of the grassy area.

#368 noahdavis_7

noahdavis_7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456240
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Par 3s longer than 220. A 250 yard par 3 is just ridiculous, and I say that as a pretty decent player!
TM M2 16' with a Fukijura speeder 661 X flex
TM RBZ 3 Wood 15* with the stock stiff shaft
Titleist 716 MB 3 Iron
Mizuno MP-68 4-PW
Nike SV 56*

Vokey SM6 F Grind  52* GW
TM Tour Spider Black 35"
TM TP5x ball

#369 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 5239

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostPooN, on 21 June 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Bunkers with vegetation growing in or down into them.  These abound at Whistling Straits where if you hit a ball and it rolls into a small but deep bunker it may hang on the vertical grassy/fescue-y edge.  No stance, no swing, no shot.  You basically have to just knock it free down into the sand and then play your regular bunker shot.  Either make it a sand bunker or make it a grassy pot bunker, but not both.

Posted Image
Example of pin high shot that rolled into the "bunker" but hung on the lip.  Picture doesn't do justice to the severity of the slope of the grassy area.

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)
WITB | Courses Played list | How to leave feedback

"I don't agree 100% with your analysis.  Yes, it's nice to hole out, which I did twice during last weeks game, but didn't need either to win those holes or the match.   All that was needed was a tap in to win each hole.  Of course, I was aiming from 20yds and 15yds with the intent to put the ball in the hole, but the expectation was tap-ins." PT

#370 PooN

PooN

poor little ball...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125767
  • Ebay ID:hydrogenalized
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

View Postduffer987, on 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker.  I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to.  That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.

Posted Image

Edited by PooN, 21 June 2017 - 10:00 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#371 Yzmerf

Yzmerf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152219
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:54 PM

Blind tee shots.
TaylorMade M1 10.5 Diamana 60 S+
TaylorMade M1 17 degree White Tie
TayorMade 790 3 iron
TaylorMade 770 4-P KBS Tour FLT
TaylorMade MG 50-09
TaylorMade MG 54-11
TaylorMade MG 58-11
2018 SC Squareback 1/500
TP5
Prosoft inserts

#372 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostPooN, on 21 June 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker.  I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to.  That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.

I'm just messing. I liked the mitigation of the pin high is all.
I don't mind the shaggy faces if the ball can sit up - which it seems to be there. Then it's just a matter of finding a stance and popping it up, like any other extreme uphill in the rough shot you face on a links/faux links course. If they have shaggy backsides and you end up with a downhiller instead of it sitting in the bunker, that would annoy me.

"I don't agree 100% with your analysis.  Yes, it's nice to hole out, which I did twice during last weeks game, but didn't need either to win those holes or the match.   All that was needed was a tap in to win each hole.  Of course, I was aiming from 20yds and 15yds with the intent to put the ball in the hole, but the expectation was tap-ins." PT

#373 umassgolfer

umassgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58186
  • Ebay ID:frstbaseman18
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

View Postduffer987, on 22 June 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

View PostPooN, on 21 June 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

I'm just messing. I liked the mitigation of the pin high is all.
I don't mind the shaggy faces if the ball can sit up - which it seems to be there. Then it's just a matter of finding a stance and popping it up, like any other extreme uphill in the rough shot you face on a links/faux links course. If they have shaggy backsides and you end up with a downhiller instead of it sitting in the bunker, that would annoy me.

Agreed. I can't stand shaggy backsides. Wait...what are we talking about here?

#374 pappaf2

pappaf2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

Here is a dumb hole on a local course that is the epitome of "hit a good shot or else".
This is #14 at Canyon Lakes Golf Club in San Ramon CA.
I realize the topography limited what they could do but I really wish this hole was designed better.

This hole is a par 5 that doglegs to the left and plays 500 yards from the white tees. I've marked the tee boxes with an R, W, and B to denote the tees. The tee box is slightly elevated above the level of the fairway and requires a forced carry of 150 yards from the whites to reach the fairway. On the right side of the fairway is an steep hill with native grass and trees. If you miss right of the cart path there is a 90% chance your ball is gone. On the left side of the fairway there is heavy rough and a steep slope to a creek approximately 16' below the level of the fairway. Miss too far left there is a good chance your ball is gone. It the rough stops before it goes in the creek you have a awkward recovery shot just to get it back to the fairway.

I've put 3 lines on this image to show fairway width at different spots on the fairway.
- At 200 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 17 yards wide.
- At 250 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 22 yards wide.
-At 125 yards from the center of the green the fairway is 26 yards wide.

What is someone playing the white tees supposed to hit on a fairway that's narrower than an average US open fairway with all that trouble on both sides? Laying up to 200y gives you just as much chance to find the trouble as hitting driver to 230-270.

Once you get past the tee shot you need to setup the approach shot. You don't get an unobstructed view of the green until you get 150 yards from the center of the green. The fairway is still relatively narrow at only 26 Yards wide from the center of the tee. When you are hitting from that 100-150 yard range the green is elevated approximately 16ft above the level of the fairway. Anything that comes up short of the green (and not in the bunkers) rolls down into the creek bed about 30ft-40ft below the level of the green. If you go to long you are pitching off a steep down slope in a native area to a green that runs away (down towards that creek bed).

This hole just seems overly penal imo. Not really sure how to rework it given the land area short of turning it into a par 4. (edit- actually I think turning this into a par 4 by putting the teebox closer to where the fairway starts could turn this into a good hole. It would put the landing area for driver up by those bunkers thus allowing you to miss right and be playable, but having to contend with the bunkers.)

14_Canyon_Lakes.jpg

Edited by pappaf2, 15 February 2018 - 04:17 PM.

We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

#375 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Bunkers.... Designed by Beelzebub.

Any bunker, any WHERE !

#376 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

A hole where a poor shot double penalizes you. For example, a fairway bunker with a tree in the line of  play.

#377 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1855

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

I don't like green complexes that don't allow for options. I like greens that allow for low, running shots as well as playing high shots.

#378 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

View Postpappaf2, on 15 February 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

Here is a dumb hole on a local course that is the epitome of "hit a good shot or else".
I realize the topography limited what they could do but I really wish this hole was designed better.

This hole is a par 5 that doglegs to the left and plays 500 yards from the white tees. I've marked the tee boxes with an R, W, and B to denote the tees. The tee box is slightly elevated above the level of the fairway and requires a forced carry of 150 yards from the whites to reach the fairway. On the right side of the fairway is an steep hill with native grass and trees. If you miss right of the cart path there is a 90% chance your ball is gone. On the left side of the fairway there is heavy rough and a steep slope to a creek approximately 16' below the level of the fairway. Miss too far left there is a good chance your ball is gone. It the rough stops before it goes in the creek you have a awkward recovery shot just to get it back to the fairway.

I've put 3 lines on this image to show fairway width at different spots on the fairway.
- At 200 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 17 yards wide.
- At 250 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 22 yards wide.

What is someone playing the white tees supposed to hit on a fairway that's narrower than an average US open fairway with all that trouble on both sides? Laying up to 200y gives you just as much chance to find the trouble as hitting driver to 230-270.

Once you get past the tee shot you need to setup the approach shot. You don't get an unobstructed view of the green until you get 150 yards from the center of the green. The fairway is still relatively narrow at only 26 Yards wide from the center of the tee. When you are hitting from that 100-150 yard range the green is elevated approximately 16ft above the level of the fairway. Anything that comes up short of the green (and not in the bunkers) rolls down into the creek bed about 30ft-40ft below the level of the green. If you go to long you are pitching off a steep down slope in a native area to a green that runs away (down towards that creek bed).

This hole just seems overly penal imo. Not really sure how to rework it given the land area short of turning it into a par 4. (edit- actually I think turning this into a par 4 by putting the teebox closer to where the fairway starts could turn this into a good hole. It would put the landing area for driver up by those bunkers thus allowing you to miss right and be playable, but having to contend with the bunkers.)

Attachment 14_Canyon_Lakes.jpg

I played Bridges now and again, but never Canyon Lakes. Is it largely on the same terrain? Google maps seems to show the same kind of shoehorning in between houses and stuff.
In that neck of the woods it's pretty impossible to not have stupid holes.

#379 pappaf2

pappaf2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

View Postduffer987, on 15 February 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

Attachment 14_Canyon_Lakes.jpg

I played Bridges now and again, but never Canyon Lakes. Is it largely on the same terrain? Google maps seems to show the same kind of shoehorning in between houses and stuff.
In that neck of the woods it's pretty impossible to not have stupid holes.

Yeah it's largely the same terrain. You can see the hole I'm complaining about from #2 green and #3 teebox at Bridges. Yeah as you said the topography for these courses makes it very tough to not have some stupid holes. I just happen to think this particular hole is more stupid than most because it doesn't give you a place to miss off the tee. Probably doesn't help that this hole always kicks my butt and takes my lunch money. :black eye:
My strategy for the next time I play it is take 6 or 7 iron off the tee and then hit a 5 iron or hybrid to get to the 140s range for the approach shot.

The plus side is the course opened a brewery on site so I can drown my sorrows. :alcoholic:

Edited by pappaf2, 15 February 2018 - 05:50 PM.

We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

#380 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 9,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 5777

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

This hole just seems overly penal imo. Not really sure how to rework it given the land area short of turning it into a par 4. (edit- actually I think turning this into a par 4 by putting the teebox closer to where the fairway starts could turn this into a good hole. It would put the landing area for driver up by those bunkers thus allowing you to miss right and be playable, but having to contend with the bunkers

That looks and sounds like a hard hole. Better hit quality shots m

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#381 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12383

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:57 PM

My Ross course has a bunch of features that kerfuffle me. I'm trying to count now.....3 of the greens have these confounded mounds right in front. They look like zits. You hit a nice approach to a middle pin and it hits on the front of the mound and rolls back off the green. Or it lands on the back side of the mound and skips forward like a chunk of greased bacon. Then there are his split level greens. He was the architect of split level long before they became a blueprint for suburban homes. You're on the wrong level, and 3 putt is not too bad.

Another course feature that irks me is fescue 2 yds off the fairway.  I understand 'well just put it on the fairway' but when you are 3 yds right and can't find your ball, that = 5 hr rounds.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#382 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:38 AM

Posted Image

Wow I hate this hole, talk about unfair.  Either open up right fairway more, level it off, or take out some trees from crying out loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors