Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What are the effects of tipping a high launch driver shaft?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

As I am always caught between flexes with my high 90s swing speed, I wonder what the effects of tipping are for low kickpoint shafts like the Fubuki or the XCon6. When tipping such a shaft (in R-flex) by 1/2 or 1 inch, does it just become a little stiffer and more stable, or does it also turn into a lower launch shaft?

Edited by avrag, 21 April 2011 - 03:02 PM.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SFC1

SFC1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70385
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

My driver SS is about 94mph.  I recently tipped a fubuki 63 X5ct Reg flex 1/2 inch in an R9 460 at 44 1/2 inches long.   No discernable change in launch angle but definately tightened it up a bit for me.  YMMV.

#3 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

View PostSFC1, on 21 April 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

My driver SS is about 94mph.  I recently tipped a fubuki 63 X5ct Reg flex 1/2 inch in an R9 460 at 44 1/2 inches long.   No discernable change in launch angle but definately tightened it up a bit for me.  YMMV.

Thank you. This is one of the options I am thinking about for a 910D2.
I know from experience that I can play Mitsubishi shafts in the 60gr range in S-Flex, but I can feel that a touch more speed would be needed to really load them completely. And since my swing has become more predictable, I can also control the R-flex versions better. But when I hit both, I always think that I would like something just in between.
With the XCon6, a firm flex would be perfect, but Titleist do not offer this (at least not in Europe). So, again, I would need to order a R-flex version, tipped somewhat. And of course, it is impossible to try that before buying.

Edited by avrag, 22 April 2011 - 03:01 AM.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

#4 fairwayallday

fairwayallday

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119340
  • Ebay ID:carycat71
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

Being in this position sucks basically!

I usually have my shafts installed about an inch over and that way I have some room to play with. As stated above, usually the LA stays the same but the stiffness comes up a bit.

Doing this today actually as I am finally getting my g15 with AD DI in stiff/reg. Probably be ok as is but if needed I can trim up to an inch off and it will still play at 44.75

#5 rkangrah

rkangrah

What are you looking for???!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

View Postavrag, on 21 April 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

As I am always caught between flexes with my high 90s swing speed, I wonder what the effects of tipping are for low kickpoint shafts like the Fubuki or the XCon6. When tipping such a shaft (in R-flex) by 1/2 or 1 inch, does it just become a little stiffer and more stable, or does it also turn into a lower launch shaft?

Tipping a shaft 1/2 inch will make the shaft half-flex stiffer.   If it is a Regular flex, it will be in the Firm flex after tipping.

#6 jewofgolf

jewofgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20264
  • Ebay ID:tourgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Tipping the shaft will not make it a certain amount stiffer.  It will make the tip stiffer, reducing launch and spin, but it will not impact the flex of the entire shaft.

Tipping a stiff 2" will not make it an extra stiff.  Graphite shafts have mroe complex bend profiles than this, since the midsection and even butt can change from flex to flex.

In the past I have tipped NVS shafts because I like the profile, and it certainly brought the flight down a little bit.

#7 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

View Postrkangrah, on 22 April 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

Tipping a shaft 1/2 inch will make the shaft half-flex stiffer.   If it is a Regular flex, it will be in the Firm flex after tipping.

This is what i was wondering so thanks for the info. I am between a S and X on the AxivCore Green swing speed chart for the 75g shaft.  i've always heard if you're between flexes to go with the softer flex, but i think i'm going to tip the driver a 1/2" when getting this shaft and play between the S and X. As for the 4wd, if the recommended tipping is 1.5", should i tip the S 2" or tip the X 1"?
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#8 rkangrah

rkangrah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

View Postjewofgolf, on 22 April 2011 - 08:22 AM, said:

Tipping the shaft will not make it a certain amount stiffer.  It will make the tip stiffer, reducing launch and spin, but it will not impact the flex of the entire shaft.

Tipping a stiff 2" will not make it an extra stiff.  Graphite shafts have mroe complex bend profiles than this, since the midsection and even butt can change from flex to flex.

In the past I have tipped NVS shafts because I like the profile, and it certainly brought the flight down a little bit.

Disagree...

Cutting the shaft on the tip and on the butt to make it shorter than standard length DOES make the shaft stiffer.  
Even my Professional clubmaker does this by using his more accurate Frequency Analyzer device.   Cutting the shaft a certain amount will change the Frequency of the shaft thus changing the stiffness of the shaft.    

I still remember I went to a Shaft Demo Conference and the talker is an engineer from Aldila.  He said it's not recommended
to tip a Driver shaft because it will change the Stiffness of a shaft.  Everyshaft has an intended kickpoint bend somewhere along the shaft.  By cutting the tip, the kickpoint bend will move and thus changing the stiffness of the entire shaft.  Not only the tip.

Edited by rkangrah, 22 April 2011 - 09:24 AM.

#9 rkangrah

rkangrah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

View Postadstout, on 22 April 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

View Postrkangrah, on 22 April 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

This is what i was wondering so thanks for the info. I am between a S and X on the AxivCore Green swing speed chart for the 75g shaft.  i've always heard if you're between flexes to go with the softer flex, but i think i'm going to tip the driver a 1/2" when getting this shaft and play between the S and X. As for the 4wd, if the recommended tipping is 1.5", should i tip the S 2" or tip the X 1"?

1/2 inch more than the recommended tipping (2").  I have done this many many times on my iron shaft to make it Firm Flex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors