Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hat Off?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 Pnuke

Pnuke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104383
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 19 April 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

For those who who think taking off your hat (indoors or outdoors) is an "antiquated custom", do you shake hands?  Isn't it also an antiquated custom of respect and good sportsmanship?  After all, these days hardly anyone needs to evidence that they don't have a weapon in their hand (although from some recent threads, some of you are carrying guns, if not a sword or dagger anymore).  And, after all, shaking hands could transmit germs!

I guess, better would be the classic, "Yo dude, whasup?" OK, like, what...ever.  Awesome.

Shaking hands goes back to 5th century BC. I think its a little more ingrained in us then taking a hat off.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

View PostPnuke, on 19 April 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

For those who who think taking off your hat (indoors or outdoors) is an "antiquated custom", do you shake hands?  Isn't it also an antiquated custom of respect and good sportsmanship?  After all, these days hardly anyone needs to evidence that they don't have a weapon in their hand (although from some recent threads, some of you are carrying guns, if not a sword or dagger anymore).  And, after all, shaking hands could transmit germs!

I guess, better would be the classic, "Yo dude, whasup?" OK, like, what...ever.  Awesome.

Shaking hands goes back to 5th century BC. I think its a little more ingrained in us then taking a hat off.

They didn't have indoors to have to take their hats off back then.  Caves don't count.

#33 minitour

minitour

Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

I don't see why you WOULDN'T take your hat off inside...

I guess I was just raised differently.

-mini

#34 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Impressive,, but not fair, someone has been Googling and going to Wikipedia.  But now I understand, removing one's cap originated relatively recently...the middle ages.  How old must a custom be to be considered "ingrained" and good manners (but, of course, still not "antiquated" or old fashioned)?

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 19 April 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#35 swbyps

swbyps

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54354
  • Ebay ID:bkammons
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Ha...yea...back in the day...
As a basic custom of life in general, taking your hat completely off, or tipping, has been a sign of respect or a courtesy for many many many years. Who knows why or how those traditions started, but they are older than all of us on this board combined. Its only been recently that this custom has not been as rigidly observed. I see kids, and grown men, in restaurants with hats on. Heck I see kids in church with hats on! It use to be that a man would NEVER be indoors with a hat on. Men would tip the cap to ladies on the street at times.

If someone doesnt take their hat off to shake hands after a round these days it probably has nothing to do with whether or not they respect their playing partner. Its more of just a sign of the times if anything. I know this, at some point it was deemed customary to do so because removing the hat was just a common courtesy within society all around. It does not bother me, but I certainly understand where it could others.

#36 coloradosprout

coloradosprout

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4673
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

[/quote]

Back in the day........
people usually identified the social ettiquette and how to deport themselves in public. The same "I don't see a problem" ethic of today is usually why we have threads such as "I don't see a problem with tiger spitting on the green" or "I don't see a problem wearing jeans on the course" or "I don't see a problem using a cell phone on the course".
The main problem IS you don't see. Todays society is so wrapped up in their own personal bubble that they have no clue or respect for their surroundings or the people that come within it. They have no idea of what they may or may not be doing my cause harm or upset the feelings of others.
So the next time you park you car sideways between two parking spaces, kick the seat of the person in front of you on the plane, break wind in a restaurant, vomit over a waitress in a bar or just shoot somebody for cash, spare thought for the other people who may not share your opinion of "I don't see a problem with it". Are we clear - or do we really need to dumb it down further?
It's a mark of respect and etiquette - similar to not walking on a players line, talking during someones swing, not raking a bunker, not repairing your pitchmark, not replacing your divots. You get the picture. Problem?
[/quote]

I don't SEE... that's funny...

That litany of infractions you listed involve 'victims'. Those actions have an effect on someone else's end result

I understand etiquette and I am quite considerate. However, I don't see how not removing one's cap somehow 'hurts' someone else. Besides making someone [size="4"]I[/size] don't know think [size="4"]I'm[/size] classless.[/quote]

I guess that sentence just about sums it up for me.

Edited by coloradosprout, 19 April 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#37 Pnuke

Pnuke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104383

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 19 April 2011 - 03:43 PM, said:

Impressive,, but not fair, someone has been Googling and going to Wikipedia.  But now I understand, removing one's cap originated relatively recently...the middle ages.  How old must a custom be to be considered "ingrained" and good manners (but, of course, still not "antiquated" or old fashioned)?

Google is the new library. You didn't get the memo? :)

#38 GaijinGolfer

GaijinGolfer

Makeruna Nippon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60085
  • Ebay ID:Titleistwi
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

After a round I always take my hat off when I shake hands and say, "nice round".  To me, its a show of respect.  Not everyone does it, but then again Ive never tried to be like everyone else.

#39 gmangolf

gmangolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45391
  • Ebay ID:gmcman22golf
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I do take my hat off after the round when shaking hands after the round.  I don't care much if someone else does, but I'm always impressed by a young golfer who shows respect by doing this. In my opinion it is a simple gesture of respect for your playing partners.

That said, I don't look down on someone who doesn't do this at all.

#40 jyamat

jyamat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4462
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I take my hat off when shaking hands after the round so that I can look the person in the eyes when shaking their hand.  My golf hats sit lower on my head so I take it off.  I could careless if the other person takes off their hat.... just as long as they look me in my eyes....and I always take my hat of when indoors.

Edited by jyamat, 19 April 2011 - 04:22 PM.

SLDR 430 TP- GD AD DI 7x
15* Cobra s-9 pro Matrix x
NIKE VRS Pro Blades KBS Tour x
54* & 58* SM4 M grinds
GoLo s5...it has come to this....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Tylanthus

Tylanthus

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63903

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

I take off my sunglasses before shaking your hand at the 18th green.  A good handshake requires eye contact.

I also rake my bunkers as to leave the course in better shape than how I found it.  Ditto for pitch marks and divots.

I do not talk in people's preshot routine let alone their backswing.  I appreciate the concentration you are putting forth.

I do not walk in your line on the green.  I try not to walk in your line if you're pitching from off the green.  The game is hard enough without me interfering with your sight lines and roll on the green.

I leave my bag on the proper side of the green and completely out of anybody's line of play.  I'm mindful of our pace of play and do my best to set a good example.

Taking off my hat to shake your hand though... I do not get it.  Sorry.  It's not that I'm protesting a simple gesture.  It simply does not occur to me that my hat needs to come off.

Edited by Tylanthus, 19 April 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#42 mizuno player

mizuno player

Mizuno player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119445
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

I always remove my hat and sunglasses when I shake hands after a round. Most of the people I play with when they see me do it they do the same. However it doesn't bother me if they don't.

#43 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• 4,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Good humor here.  My "hats off" to all that contributed to brightening my day after a horrid opening round.Posted Image

And yes I do for the most part, especially if I don't know them.

Edited by Socrates, 19 April 2011 - 05:29 PM.

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg (on the way)
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
RH Vokey 52º, 56º 60º Spin Milled 2

#44 bigmacmdm

bigmacmdm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100065
  • Ebay ID:mmacdonaldbigmac
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

In all the college tournaments I play in almost all the guys do. I think it's a good tradition and keeps the game classy

#45 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

View PostPnuke, on 19 April 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 19 April 2011 - 03:43 PM, said:

Google is the new library. You didn't get the memo? :)
Some of us received an education in a library, pre-Google and learned to spell, speak and write in a pre-spell-check world-- handy when in a meeting or at a cocktail party when using a Blackberry or i-Pad to surf is a bit awkward.  Despite what Wikipedia says, I'll bet manners have more to do with parents than DNA.

#46 oneunderbogey

oneunderbogey

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126088
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

I take my hat off, when shaking and inside.  It is what my grandparents and parents taught me.  It is really not very hard to take your hat off, so I will continue to do it, if it earns me even a little more respect from one person it was worth it, and if it doesn’t consider it a tribute to my grandfathers memory.  That said if other people don’t  take their hate off it doesn’t bother me at all.

#47 budeagle

budeagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61494

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

I take off my hat when I shake hands at the end of the round. Why do you all have a problem with taking your hat off? I have more of a problem with shaking hands with guys that have just pi--ed in the woods 500 times in the last 4 hours :cheesy:

#48 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Definitely depends, if I am playing with my buds we will shake hands but hats most of the time stay on. If its a tournament or with older members the hat comes off, its just respect and the way i was taught when i started playing.

Hats off in the clubhouse is pretty standard at all private golf courses, same as no jeans.

#49 philsRHman

philsRHman

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100923
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

It's just a case of having manners. Same way you should wait for everyone's meal to arrive before digging into yours. Believe it or not, your actions tell a story about how you behave in social settings, professionally and personally. Being able to carry yourself in a polite way will go a long way in building relationships.

#50 GatorNate11

GatorNate11

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117979
  • Ebay ID:gatornate5
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

After a round yes. Inside? No. I'm sorry, I have to agree with some other posters, I do not see the massive issue with it. And no, I was not raised to just do whatever I wanted, respect has always been a big part of my upbringing. Times I do take a hat off? After the round, during the national anthem, church, etc. Now, if a couse says that I cannot wear my hat inside, fine I'll take it off, fair enough. But if it is not required, I'm leaving it on. You may now flame away.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 ctengler

ctengler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122306
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

you do it because its just flat out the right thing to do, i dont understand why people have to make fun of it or say its stupid and weird, and this is coming from a 22 year old kid who learned the game from his father, you do it out of respect for the people you play with and the game itself, nuff said

#52 Go_Blue!

Go_Blue!

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47259
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm 26...been playing since I was 10. Always take hat/visor off after every round with the sun goggles.(as someone already mentioned a proper handshake requires eye contact.)

Just like I always play with a hat or visor...I always properly end the round the way it has been done
8.5* TM Supertri w/ F1 Motore 85X
15* TM R9 w/ F1 Motore 75X
19* Bridgestone J36
Titleist 690.mb
Rife Aruba w/ SuperStoke Mid
54*/58* TM Z-Tp

#53 scifisicko

scifisicko

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

View PostSHIVAN, on 19 April 2011 - 01:54 PM, said:

Etiquette and respect say I should remove my hat to shake hands at the end of a round.  They also say that I should not relieve myself, when indoors, in the kitchen sink, or dining room corner.  They also say that I should open and hold the door for a lady.  Etc, etc, etc.

On a not so serious note, some say the mark of  a gentleman is taking the dishes out of the kitchen sink before pissing in it.

The world would be a lot better if we all played golf. Great post about the kids noticing it and doing likewise, i've seen this too. We've got some great kids at our club and its terrific to see them being molded by the game and the positive influence of the older guys.

Edited by scifisicko, 19 April 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#54 SLB_Golfer

SLB_Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62494

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

I take my hat off for the national anthem and that's about it.  I wear a hat as a piece of clothing and for protection from the sun.  I'm not going to take it off after a round any more than I would my shirt or my socks.  If someone wants to judge my character based on this fact alone so be it.

#55 blaird

blaird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

If I am playing with someone I dont know or its a tournament I always take my hat/sunglasses off.   At my course we are pretty casual and just say enjoyed it...but always for tournaments or something I will take off glasses or hat or both

#56 hef63303

hef63303

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9365
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

You do it because that is what gentlemen do. There is no reason. If you prefer that people think that you are not a gentleman, leave your hat on. You do not have to have a logical reason for doing everything.

#57 BNich0622

BNich0622

Major Winner

• 3,944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87233
  • Ebay ID:BNich0622
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

I do from time to time. I think most people that do maybe do it because it's what they've seen on tv ever since they started following golf?  I wouldn't know to do it, or that people did it if I didn't see it on tv.
Big Bertha Alpha 9* w Speeder VC 6.0
X2 Hot 15* 3w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65s
X2 Hot 18* Hy/Aldila Tour Green 75s
Apex 3-PW UST Recoil 110 F5
Mack Daddy 2 52* & 58* C Grind
Metal X Milled 330 Mallet 34"

#58 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Always.  The words Sir and Ma'am come out of my mouth daily.  I also offer a smile/nod and a salutation to virtually every person I cross paths with.
Alpha/X2Hot w/ Motore Speeders
Legacy Blacks w/ Steelfiber i110 Stiff
MD2s w/ Recoil 125 X (7 iron shafts)
Bobby Grace NYC Proto

#59 ZimBag

ZimBag

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126401

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

it shows you have etiquette and your a gentleman. im 16  and always take my hat off after a round to shake hands. its a class act. you dont go to a really nice restaurant with jeans on its stupid. show you have class for your self and you competitors

#60 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
  • Ebay ID:mauione69
GolfWRX Likes : 964

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostPreppySlapCut, on 19 April 2011 - 09:22 PM, said:

Always.  The words Sir and Ma'am come out of my mouth daily.  I also offer a smile/nod and a salutation to virtually every person I cross paths with.

Agreed..

Find myself doing the exact same thing on a daily basis as well...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors