Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hat Off?

121 replies to this topic

#1 JLTD63

JLTD63

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70526
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

Anybody still do this?  I pretty much always do, pretty much always have...not sure why.  If I'm playing a casual round, I'd say it's about 1 outta 10 guys that will also take their hat off to shake hands.  I've played a lot of competitive golf, and in those cases it's higher but still probably no more that half of guys doing it, and it seems like fewer and fewer all the time.  I should say that it doesn't bother me in the least if someone doesn't take thier hat off...and I'm not all about tradition or anything like that either.  I'm pretty young, 28.

Dumb topic I know, just wondering if I'm the crazy one that keeps taking my hat off!! :D

Edited by JLTD63, 19 April 2011 - 01:49 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 poops

poops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121309
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

I don't... traditional relic if you ask me.
I'm sure some will respond that it's a gentlemen's game; and you're showing the game some respect by taking off your chapeau... Is there a golf god somewhere keeping score on who does and does not remove their cap/hat after a round...? gimme a break.

I don't understand the idea of taking your hat off indoors either... Who or what does this offend?

#3 caller

caller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70411

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

I do as a respecting gesture to other player.

Whether other people do or not, that doesn't concern me at all.

I just do it because I feel that I can learn something from each and every player

#4 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

I do it......   trust me, people notice the gesture.  Especially the old guys.  Younger guys could care less usually, but I can see the look in their eye when I do it and they don't (it says....crap, this guy has class.....and about 70% of the time they reach for their own hat before we shake hands).

I think it is a good topic and one worth posting on.....thanks.
Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#5 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

View Postpoops, on 19 April 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

I'm sure some will respond that it's a gentlemen's game; and you're showing the game some respect by taking off your chapeau... Is there a golf god somewhere keeping score on who does and does not remove their cap/hat after a round...? gimme a break.

I don't understand the idea of taking your hat off indoors either... Who or what does this offend?

If you have to ask, you will never understand.

#6 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 702

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostBody_Visions, on 19 April 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

+1

#7 poops

poops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Then, please school me. I'm always up for the consideration of good logic.

#8 poops

poops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 19 April 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

+1

Why do you agree? Don't gimme some silly "back in the day" story either.

#9 beereye

beereye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26145
  • Ebay ID:pdnsdb
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

i always take my cap (and sunglasses) off after a round to shake hands. whether or not my playing partners do is up to them, it doesnt bother me either way. i think it is more respect to my fellow competitors than it is respect for the game. i have noticed that more experienced golfers take their hat off while most casusal golfers dont. no science to this odservation, just an observation.

#10 poops

poops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

I do shake my playing partners' hands after a round. Just as I do after meeting someone pleasant in any other setting/situation. You shake hands upon departure...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 2,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 391

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

Etiquette and respect say I should remove my hat to shake hands at the end of a round.  They also say that I should not relieve myself, when indoors, in the kitchen sink, or dining room corner.  They also say that I should open and hold the door for a lady.  Etc, etc, etc.

#12 The Duck

The Duck

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34420
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

You take your hat off indoors due to respect of the owner and a good gentleman always untucks a ladies dress from her undies.

#13 Pnuke

Pnuke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104383
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

Do you still tip your hat to passing ladies as well?

#14 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 2,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 391

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostPnuke, on 19 April 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Hard to identify these days....:cheesy:

#15 T-Bone84

T-Bone84

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116438
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

Taking your hat off inside, after a round, etc... is a sign of respect and I was always told that if "you show respect then you will receive respect."

Edited by T-Bone84, 19 April 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#16 Pnuke

Pnuke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostSHIVAN, on 19 April 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostPnuke, on 19 April 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Hard to identify these days....:cheesy:

How so very true!

#17 alexthegrrr8

alexthegrrr8

Aim high....score low!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4338
  • Ebay ID:cobragolffan
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

I do it.. it just sort of comes as second nature. It's a sign of respect and as far as taking off a hat indoors and especially in a dining area.. for some (like me) the military ingrains this.

Alex

#18 HenryBall

HenryBall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64390
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

I take my hat off due to the tradition of it, I don't think any less if someone doesn't do it.

#19 caller

caller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70411

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

I do see your point but at the same time we deal with social norm.

If I don't remove my hat inside of club house, someone will come to me and ask to remove the hat.

Some people are fine with eating off of paper plate and some just won't. Just matter of where you came from and what you are accustome to.

No right or wrong answer for this in my opinion.

#20 rbgolfer

rbgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50843
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

I always take my hat off and shake hands with the group after a competitive round, but when I'm with my regular golf buddies we usually just go straight to the club house and relax for a while. I think its too formal to do with my friends, but I always do it to an apponent.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

View Postpoops, on 19 April 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

+1

Back in the day........
people usually identified the social ettiquette and how to deport themselves in public. The same "I don't see a problem" ethic of today is usually why we have threads such as "I don't see a problem with tiger spitting on the green" or "I don't see a problem wearing jeans on the course" or "I don't see a problem using a cell phone on the course".
The main problem IS you don't see. Todays society is so wrapped up in their own personal bubble that they have no clue or respect for their surroundings or the people that come within it. They have no idea of what they may or may not be doing my cause harm or upset the feelings of others.
So the next time you park you car sideways between two parking spaces, kick the seat of the person in front of you on the plane, break wind in a restaurant, vomit over a waitress in a bar or just shoot somebody for cash, spare thought for the other people who may not share your opinion of "I don't see a problem with it". Are we clear - or do we really need to dumb it down further?
It's a mark of respect and etiquette - similar to not walking on a players line, talking during someones swing, not raking a bunker, not repairing your pitchmark, not replacing your divots. You get the picture. Problem?

#22 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• 17,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1794

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 19 April 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

+1

Back in the day........
people usually identified the social ettiquette and how to deport themselves in public. The same "I don't see a problem" ethic of today is usually why we have threads such as "I don't see a problem with tiger spitting on the green" or "I don't see a problem wearing jeans on the course" or "I don't see a problem using a cell phone on the course".
The main problem IS you don't see. Todays society is so wrapped up in their own personal bubble that they have no clue or respect for their surroundings or the people that come within it. They have no idea of what they may or may not be doing my cause harm or upset the feelings of others.
So the next time you park you car sideways between two parking spaces, kick the seat of the person in front of you on the plane, break wind in a restaurant, vomit over a waitress in a bar or just shoot somebody for cash, spare thought for the other people who may not share your opinion of "I don't see a problem with it". Are we clear - or do we really need to dumb it down further?
It's a mark of respect and etiquette - similar to not walking on a players line, talking during someones swing, not raking a bunker, not repairing your pitchmark, not replacing your divots. You get the picture. Problem?

Jaska, you are awesome!
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#23 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Posttembolo1284, on 19 April 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

Jaska, you are awesome!

...and maybe just a teensy bit sarcastic tonight. I don't see a problem with it...........

#24 poops

poops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

+1

Back in the day........

I don't SEE... that's funny...

That litany of infractions you listed involve 'victims'. Those actions have an effect on someone else's end result

I understand etiquette and I am quite considerate. However, I don't see how not removing one's cap somehow 'hurts' someone else. Besides making someone I don't know think I'm classless.

#25 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

+1

Back in the day........

For those that wanted my explanation, just read the highlighted portion above.

Edited by Body_Visions, 19 April 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#26 Pingfitz

Pingfitz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104483
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 19 April 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

View Posttembolo1284, on 19 April 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

Jaska, you are awesome!

...and maybe just a teensy bit sarcastic tonight. I don't see a problem with it...........

I don't either, totally agree

#27 Pnuke

Pnuke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

+1

Back in the day........

So if I don't start taking my hat off I'll eventually shoot someone? J/K :cheesy:

#28 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

I shake hands after the round, but I don't take off my hat.

When and how did this start, it seems to me to be a relatively new thing started by the pros on television. I don't remember Jack taking his hat off after a round, but maybe he (and the others) did and I'm just not remembering.
Titleist 910D2 8.5* Diamana D+
Titleist 910F 15* GD YSQ
Titleist 910H 17* Diamana Kai'li 80
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
Putter changes constantly
Mizuno MP-R12 53 & 58

#29 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

For those who who think taking off your hat (indoors or outdoors) is an "antiquated custom", do you shake hands?  Isn't it also an antiquated custom of respect and good sportsmanship?  After all, these days hardly anyone needs to evidence that they don't have a weapon in their hand (although from some recent threads, some of you are carrying guns, if not a sword or dagger anymore).  And, after all, shaking hands could transmit germs!

I guess, better would be the classic, "Yo dude, whasup?" OK, like, what...ever.  Awesome.

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 19 April 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#30 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 19 April 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

For those who who think taking off your hat (indoors or outdoors) is an "antiquated custom", do you shake hands?  Isn't it also an antiquated custom of respect and good sportsmanship?  After all, these days hardly anyone needs to evidence that they don't have a weapon in their hand (although from some recent threads, some of you are carrying guns, if not a sword or dagger anymore).  And, after all, shaking hands could transmit germs!

I guess, better would be the classic, "Yo dude, whasup?" OK, like, what...ever.  Awesome.

:cheesy:  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors