Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do you prefer a light or heavy driver?

36 replies to this topic

#1 madmichael888

madmichael888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118318
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi,

I just come back from GolfSmith and tried the new R11. It feels very heavy and immediately I lose control of my swing. I confirmed with the sales guy that R11 is indeed heavier than normal drivers. My question is if TaylorMade says its R11 can hit the ball further, why don't they make it lighter to increase the speed? Where is the extra distance coming from for a heavy driver? Any opinions?

Also, my swing speed is 95-100, can anyone recommend a driver that's long and not so heavy?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108885
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

Medium-heavy weight is easiest to control with a decent shaft. Too light and it becomes whippy (i.e. original superfast with that 46" shaft). It was hard to control with a swing speed of 115+. Lagged too much. I got a Titleist 910D3 with a 72g ahina and it's nice and heavy, much easier to control with a faster swing speed.

Check out the superfast 2.0 or superfast 2.0 TP. My father has a swing speed similar to yours and he loves his superfast.

Edited by superman912, 18 April 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#3 Golfdoctor

Golfdoctor

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73113
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

I like a driver in the D4 range, it's easy to feel the head when taking it back in my backswing.

#4 Jeph62

Jeph62

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102148
  • Ebay ID:Shewbox0123
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

I too like my driver a little bit heavier. I've always played mine closer to D4-D5

#5 zzy

zzy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3881
  • Ebay ID:coke33
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

HEAVY!  D5 SW @ 310g+ total weight. I really prefer a driver that I can feel on the downswing.  Heavy drivers have down wonders for my tempo, as my miss is usually a pull from getting too quick in transition.

#6 j.b.newton

j.b.newton

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108620
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

Theoretically, if you increase the distal mass (and radius of gyration (k)) of a club while maintaining a similar swing speed (w) you will increase the angular momentum of the club (H = Iw, I = mk2).  By increasing the H, you will mathematically have the potential to increase the exit velocity of the ball based on a consistent COR.  Conversely if you take away mass, while maintaining a relatively constant k, you will potentially increase the swing speed. - both with the same end results.  That's why you have options and why one feels better than the other....

#7 dansrixon

dansrixon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10162
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

i used to be a heavy guy, usually with shafts in the 70 gram range.  BUt I currently have the C.Kua 39 in a XL Tour and its an absolute monster.  

Here is a little story.  I played in a scramble with guy i played a lot with last year.  Last year I was playing the same exact head with a heavier Kusala Blue 72s.  This guy i play with hits it a lot longer then i do.  After about 15 holes he grabs my driver on the tee and ask, "what are you hitting? your tee shots are a lot closer to mine then whatever you were hitting last year."  The only thing different from last year was the 39g shaft.  Its easily a good 10-15 yards longer in the same driver head...and i have not had any dispersion issues with the lighter, longer shaft.
Driver: 9.5 Srixon Z745 w/ ADBB7x
Fairway: Srixon F45 w/Kusala Blue 72s
Hybrid: 588 18* with Miyazaki C.Kua 83
Irons: Srixon 545 4-PW X100 TI
RTX 2.0 CB 50, Tour Rack 55 &60
Putter:  Cleveland Smart Square

#8 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

I used to use a 44.5 inch R7 460 which was very light and i swung the heck out of it.
I do prefer the lighter drivers because i had so much control of the R7.

Ive recently starting playing the Titleist 910D2 and am picking up the RIP 60 shaft which is pretty light.

Driver you should try:

Taylormade Burner 2.0 TP - Its the best lightest driver i have tried.

Cleveland also has a new line of lighter drivers that just came out.

As far as the R11 is concerned.  I dont think it feels heavy.  I thought the R9 SuperTri was a little heavier.
My guess is the extra lenght of the shaft could attribute to it feeling heavier.

#9 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

View Postj.b.newton, on 18 April 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

Theoretically, if you increase the distal mass (and radius of gyration (k)) of a club while maintaining a similar swing speed (w) you will increase the angular momentum of the club (H = Iw, I = mk2).  By increasing the H, you will mathematically have the potential to increase the exit velocity of the ball based on a consistent COR.  Conversely if you take away mass, while maintaining a relatively constant k, you will potentially increase the swing speed. - both with the same end results.  That's why you have options and why one feels better than the other....

You mean try a shorter shaft or shorten the R11.

#10 GaijinGolfer

GaijinGolfer

Makeruna Nippon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60085
  • Ebay ID:Titleistwi
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

I prefer a lighter driver because to me it feels easier to control and I feel like I can swing it harder without feeling like Im trying to.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 DWCobraJR

DWCobraJR

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85835
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

Heavy drivers help to smooth out my swing a little bit, simply due to the weight I can't jerk them around at much

also makes the shot dispersion a little tighter.

#12 mizuno player

mizuno player

Mizuno player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119445
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

I like the lightest shaft I can control. Being a high spin player I have not found a ton of options. But the miyazaki is good. There are a few others id like to try. Need to play with length to get desired d4 swing weight.

#13 Ballhound

Ballhound

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106100
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Since I switched from a 68 gram shaft to a 78 gram, I'm hitting way more fairways.  Dispersion is down and it feels great.  My problem was getting too quick with the back swing with the light shafts.  It just smooths the tempo down and also keeps the ball flight down and rolls out further.  I guess its all in personal preference but I think there is a reason why most pros play heavier shafts in the 83 gram or higher range.

#14 jbrunone

jbrunone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109380
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

I like sa heavish, around d4

#15 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.3
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1451

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

Light shaft , heavy head IMO.

It's always a trade off.

Lighter overall can be swung faster yet 'heavier' is usually easier to keep online/on path.

The best overall package is the one you can swing the fastest and still keep reasonably on line (in the sweetspot).

Thats going to be different for a lot of people.

FYI , swingweight and overall club weight are not parallel relationships. It's more about overall balance.

Edited by RRFireblade, 18 April 2011 - 08:28 PM.

RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#16 decconspec

decconspec

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37228
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

If you will check out my signature you will see I definitely believe in the light weight versions..  EVERY club in my bag coupled w/ winn lite firm grips are 40-50 grams lighter than the typical weights the manufacturers are putting out. I have had zero negative issues and have added swing speed & distance.  All my clubs are in the D7 range so they retain a great feel and because they don't require heavy headweights to attain the heavy swingweights, the shafts are not over flexed and perform very well. As far as the Driver, 3 Wood, & Hybrids: the Miyazakis are the lightest shafts I've ever used and at the same time the tightest dispersion and most controllable. Couple the accuracy w/ the light weight/ higher swing speeds and there is downside. I love the Adams' heads I'm using, but do yourself a favor and demo the Miyazaki(s) in the new Cleveland line. I prefer the flex profile on the 43S as opposed to the 39S, but your mileage may vary.  I've added 3-5 mph to my swingspeeds since I've went lightweight, it has been a move in the right direction for me....

Edited by decconspec, 18 April 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#17 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

Well, if D4 is heavy, then I like heavy.
I find I keep my tempo better with 65-68 gram shafts.
I've never played a 70+ gm shaft in my driver, but I'd like to try it sometime.
Cobra BioCell+ Matrix Red Tie
XHot 15*3wd & 19* 5wd stock PX
Idea Pro Black 23* w/ Altus
Apex/ Apex pro combo Recoil 95
SM4 54/11 & 58/9 KBS Tour
Odyssey MXM Versa #1 SS flatso

#18 jokerusn

jokerusn

Mr. J

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447
  • Ebay ID:jokerusn
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Heavy total weight and heavy sw.  I release too soon with a light sw and I lose my rhythm with a lighter total weight.  I haven't had much success with a driver with less than a 75g shaft and d4 sw.
290 / 3Deep / RBZ Tour / Idea Pro
07 X Forged / Scratch / Odyssey

#19 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

View Postmadmichael888, on 18 April 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Hi,

I just come back from GolfSmith and tried the new R11. It feels very heavy and immediately I lose control of my swing. I confirmed with the sales guy that R11 is indeed heavier than normal drivers. My question is if TaylorMade says its R11 can hit the ball further, why don't they make it lighter to increase the speed? Where is the extra distance coming from for a heavy driver? Any opinions?

Also, my swing speed is 95-100, can anyone recommend a driver that's long and not so heavy?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

All that adjustablility adds weight.  That's why they have the lightweight SuperFast line.

#20 Justin_Ellis

Justin_Ellis

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5307
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

I go heavy throughout the set and the driver is no exception. D5 for pretty much everything except putter and wedges. I like to feel where the clubhead is during the swing and with too light of a swingweight you loose that.

Bio Cell Pro ATX Tour Blue 75X
SLDR Mini 14* GD D03
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
bridgestone J38 4-pw KBS Tour X
XFT 54/58/64
Manta 38" counterbalanced

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 chipkashman

chipkashman

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93090
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

I like a heavier driver now. I started out playing an R7 CGB with a 45 gram Fujikura in R flex and as a beginner my speed was 90-95, as I thought the ball had to absolutely die every time I teed one up. Then after I figured out the ball was already dead (never actually saw it move on its on or breath for that matter) I eased up on the tension and started to average 105mph with a stiffer flex and had to get rid of the 45gr Reg as it was super whippy. As the experimenting went on, lighter shafts made it easier for me to get relaxed or try to step on it and cause blunders. The heavier shafts definitely smooth out my tempo and seem to get more distance as I have to maintain balance and smooth tempo to get anywhere near decent speed.
913 D2 10.5 Motore F3 Stiff
910F 15* Diamana ilima Stiff
910H 21* Motore F3 Stiff
AP2 710 3-PW S300
Scratch 1018 53* DD & 58*SS
SC Fastback 1.5

#22 TM.Taylor

TM.Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125463

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

I think like it heavy. my gamer is D2 but I played with my 07 Burner TP today (which is swingweighted to D7 at 325g total) and just hit some of the biggest, straightest bombs...I think i'm going to try some extra weight in my gamer and see what happens.

#23 Ghost_Orchid

Ghost_Orchid

Golf Junkie

• 1,792 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37491
  • Handicap:17

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

60g shafts for me, tried a 70g Saga but I felt it was too heavy.  Tried a 43g C.Kua and like it, not sure if I want to spend the money to get it though.  Currently have a 60g RIP Beta in my driver.

#24 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

Major Winner

• 3,878 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Ive wasted a lot of money on light weight drivers over the past few years.  The best drivers I owned SW to D6-D8 and had 80+ gram shafts.  You should go with the R11 if it feels that way.  The extra distance is adjustment and tuning of launch conditions and spin rates.  Overall weight is just as important as swingweight.  I bet the R11 will be your money club.

#25 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

Count me in the camp of heavier drivers as well.  There are two components to energy generation -- mass and velocity -- so a change in either is going to have an impact.  The light weight driver concept, I believe, revolves around overcoming a reduction in mass with an increase in velocity to generate more energy to be transfered to the ball.  This may work well on an Iron Byron, but it doesn't always work with humans imparting the force on the club.  As has been mentioned up-thread, heavier mass is easier to keep on plane due to inertia with momentum having a positive impact on velocity.  Because a club is lighter, we should be able to physically move it through the swing plane quicker, but one has to ask how much of that increase in swing speed is due to mass reduction versus shaft length?

If you are a real smooth swinger, the lighter weight concept should be beneficial, at least theoretically, but if you're more of a hitter, it is just as likely to lead to problems IMO.

TM R7 425 11.5
Callaway Diablo Octane 4W/7W
Nickent 3DX DC 23/26
Ping i25 6-PW w/TFC 189
Nike SV+ 52, 58
Seemore PTM3/Guerin Rife 400 mid mallet

#26 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Mike

TM offers a lighter weight driver with the Burner Superfast 2.0. Lighter and a longer shaft doesn't automatically equal more distance.

#27 rightlefty

rightlefty

Just trying to be helpful

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64056
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Definitely heavier for me.

#28 Lindley89

Lindley89

• 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90806

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

Is an Adams 9015D playing 44.5" with an 86g V2 stiff shaft tipped 1/2" @ D4 heavy? If yes, then I prefer heavy drivers.

#29 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

Greatest Putter Ever

• 3,365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

I currently play a Superdeep with a heavier (75g) shaft and two of the heavier weights in the head.  As a faster swinger (115-120) I've always thought that heavier weight = more control.  However, I've seen a lot about the lighter drivers and have seen more guys on Tour going that route.  I recently found out that I would have the chance to test one of Cleveland's new drivers, so I'm interested to see how they compare.  I have a TL 310 on the way, and when I get it, I'm going to put it up against my Superdeep and do a head-to-head comparison to test whether my perception that heavier is better (for me) is correct.

Edited by Tiger Jr., 19 April 2011 - 01:13 PM.

Ping G25 8.5*, 44.5" AD BB 6x
Ping G25 15* AD BB 7x, 913F 19* D83X
913 Hd 23*, Diamana D+ White 102x
4-PW - Ping S55 Green dot, DG X100
Vokey SM5 54M & 58K
Byron Morgan 612/007/DH89
WITB Link

#30 lui_boy

lui_boy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85923
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Similar swing speed as the OP.  I prefer a driver in the D3 range @ 44" for heavier shaft ~70g+ (R flex) or 45" for lighter shaft ~59g or less (S flex).  Easy to change the shafts and head weight with all the adjustable driver option these days.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors