Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Titleist Scotty Cameron Detour

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Titleist Scotty Cameron Detour (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Your Opinion Count!

1. 5 (Best) (22 votes [34.92%])

Percentage of vote: 34.92%

2. 4 (12 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. 3 (10 votes [15.87%])

Percentage of vote: 15.87%

4. 2 (6 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

5. 1 (13 votes [20.63%])

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • 14,350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

Detour.jpg

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 w7n23j

w7n23j

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9230
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:02 AM

I just purchased one tonight.  It is the Detour 1, 34 inches, heel shafted with a 30 gram weight.  Grip is the SC Black T.  I spent close to an hour putting with it on the artificial green of the local golf store.  It took me a few minutes to get used to the arched curved body of this putter and made me pull the first few putts. My lag putts from a distance of about 25 feet are ending up anywhere from 5 to 10 inches short of the hole; some making it in.  My short putts from 3 to 5 feet all made it to the hole!  It produces a crisp click sound and a true roll in my opinion.  The headcover is a like a bright burnt orange color close to the Texas Longhorns colors (I am from TX, btw) but SC I believe, calls it the Accident Orange.      
So far, a winner in my opinion.  We will see how I do with it on the course. Thank you.

Edited by w7n23j, 19 August 2006 - 12:15 AM.

#3 JHR

JHR

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1089

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

I had a 33" / 350g Proto and did not really care for it.

I agree that for lag putts there may not be a better putter i have used, i will second that you can snug 25'ers inches from the whole, i had problems with it from 6-8', just did not line up well for me.

Great putter, just not one that i could use and feel confident with.

#4 w7n23j

w7n23j

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9230

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hello again.  Well after practicing with the putter for almost half a day, I can relate to some of JHR's comments on the putter.  I did lag and lots of short putts of 3 to 8 feet from the hole.  I find that I have to work a little hard on aligning my short putts with this putter as the curved line on the body distracted me the longer I used it.  The lag putt results I still will rate excellent but I had a change of mind on the short putts.  Hope this helps everyone out looking at this putter but I still say demo it to determine if it works for you.

Thanks y'all!

#5 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14457
  • Ebay ID:choeppner99
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

Well, I have a 1 of 500 detour and a 1 of 500 detour 2 coming in tomorrow morning.  You'll know if I don't like it as one of them will end up here for sale and the other on my rack. LOL

Chris

Posted Image

Please feel free to contact me at:
Choeppner@Doglegright.com

#6 winston99

winston99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9565

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

Have tried this putter about 5-6 times now both on grass and arti turf and I still can not get a feel for it at all. This putter is supposed to fit my type of putter swing and I just can not get the ball where I need to be consistantly. Lag putting is harder as well as and short putts like some others have experianced is harder because of the curved back piece. I do however like the weight of the putter and it does look nice to my eye it just isnt my cup of tee.

#7 ben III

ben III

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8670

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

My problems with the detour:

Not facebalanced
curved line (I don't understand it, how do you aim)
The topline of the T (the noncurved line) is too short.

Not my cup of tea!

#8 pat6969

pat6969

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11982
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

I found that if I draw a line on the ball I love this putter. Hated it before I did that but now you'll only pry it out of my cold dead hands!!

The roll it puts on the ball is unreal. I have tried over 12 putters this winter and none roll the ball as smooth as this one.

Try a line on your ball before you give up on this design, makes it easier to line up your putts.

Pat

Edited by pat6969, 08 January 2007 - 11:32 PM.

#9 dtgolder

dtgolder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12167
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

This is not for me. Worst putter I've ever tried (and I like 'weird' designs, so I really wanted to like this thing).

But--it's got to work for some folks...can't believe they'd bring something this bad to market unless it solved a problem for some folks...

Just not me.

#10 badstrick

badstrick

I'd Hit That! It's Tour Issued!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1774
  • Ebay ID:badstrick

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

By far the best putter I've ever had however mine is a circle t and the first of 100 out for production whether this makes a difference?  It will be in my bag for quite some time to come.  Good luck to all those who experiment with this one.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 RedGripGuy

RedGripGuy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37439

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

I didn't understand this one.   I couldn't get anything even close to the hole and I was puzzled until I realized that the face wasn't square to the grip!  Huh?  I tried using the curved line thing but it didn't help.

#12 El Crab

El Crab

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40465
  • Ebay ID:el_crab

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

Love this putter!  I have the Newport 2.5 Detour, and having an open to closed stroke, it looks so good to me.  That, and I'm a big believer in having weight directly behind the ball on a putter, and a heavier putterhead.  This club suits both my preferences there.  And did I mention I just love the way it looks?  And the roll it puts on the ball is so good.  

I putt cross-handed, and my backswing is shorter than my followthrough.  And this thing is just money for my stroke.  And did I mention I love its appearance?  Probably as important as any aspect of a putter.

#13 big daddy arch

big daddy arch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58858
  • Ebay ID:gundog362fet

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

I have owned this putter for about a year. It took probably 2-3 week's for me to actually figure out the feel. I now feel like Im throwing dart's!! It is Great!

But,To each his own!!!

#14 kingdaddysports

kingdaddysports

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35711

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

not my favorite putter.  in fact, probably on the bottom of all the putters I have owned.  The feel was just off

#15 PGAPankey

PGAPankey

PGA Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56059
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

I really like this putter for someone with an open to close stroke. Its kind of tough to aim with the bar sticking out the back being slightly curverd though.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* - Matrix F6M2 Std
906F4 - Matrix Matte Blue Altus
910H 17* - Matrix Matte Blue Altus
AP2 714 - Steelfiber i110cw
Vokey TVD - 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Sonoma/SS Newport 2

#16 natecall1979

natecall1979

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49907

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

After screwing around with the Detour in my local golf store, I ended up purchasing one last week for a steal $100 (I know the manager). Fortunately, winter hasn't come yet where I live and I was able to put in a couple of rounds with the Detour. This putter has to be the greatest one I've ever played with. I was holing puts from all over. I felt like Tiger Woods. I truly think that this is the best putter ever created. I've played a Yes! Callie the last couple of years and although that putter had incredible feel, I couldn't hole puts the way I do with this one. I found myself laughing with disbelief with how I was putting with the Detour. I have played with other Scotty Cameron putters before and those don't hold a candle to this one. Its too bad that there are so many nay sayers that hate this putter. I've heard that it isn't traditional enough from some of the posts that I've read here and All I got to say to those people is: Screw it, so what if it looks a little unconventional and isn't true to Scotty Cameron's past club making efforts. I'll take those guys’ money all day long and laugh all the way to the bank as they sit there scratching their heads as to why their classic Scotty Cameron didn't do as good of a job as the Detour. What royally pisses me off is that those nay sayers have probably discouraged Scotty to be more innovative. If you want classic looks go buy yourself a persimmon wood and tear drop putter and stick them you know where.

Edited by natecall1979, 07 December 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#17 titleistforged

titleistforged

Club Ho in Denial

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89331
  • Ebay ID:wjli123
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

i just bought one for an amazing 90 dollars new

looking forward to gaming it. i like weird looking stuff, so hopefully this will be a keeper. i demo'd it before and it felt pretty solid, so i'll let y'all know!
Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme 9.5 | DI-6x
Callaway RAZR Fit 15 | DI-6s
Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 | DI-85s
Wilson Staff Tour Blade 4-PW
Callaway Forged 56
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

#18 Udonthve2betall2golong

Udonthve2betall2golong

Ging

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114449
  • Ebay ID:jgingerich10

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Great putter for someone who's trying to get the open to close stroke down. Feel is good, don't buy this putter if you don't keep the natural shaft angle at a address as this will ruin this putter for you. I think the traditional Camerons are definitely better for the better player, but as I said, get this putter if you've never really been able to get the open to release style down.

#19 upnort

upnort

upnort

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119469
  • Ebay ID:deltechgolf

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

I have to agree with some of the earlier posts. I played the Detour for a couple of months. The lag putting was great. The closer I got to the hole, the more distracting the putter angles got. Very nice feel, but I could'nt can the money putts.

#20 nomore3putts

nomore3putts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22233
  • Ebay ID:mhchung72

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

I was hanging out at a local proshop yesterday and picked up a pretty banged up Detour 2 for $69.  I have used mostly Anser type putters in the past but I had most success with T shaped putters (NC Voodoo, 2 Ball Blade).  I've fighting my natural tendency to take the putter outside during my backstoke.  I figured Detour will encourage more inside or at least more straight putting stroke.

While trying out the putter on the practice green, I noticed couple things.  With Detour, right to left breaking putts were easiest to make but I had more difficulty with left to right putts.  It takes more concentration on focusing only the blade part of the putter for left to right putts.  For the short putts, I agree that the curved shape is distracting.

Overall, I think it's a great putter if you can get over the ugliness.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 danfido

danfido

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126589

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I recently picked up a well-used original Detour for $35 on Craigslist.  I didn't think the curved shape on the back would distract me, but boy was I wrong!  I find myself trying to block out the back half of the putter.  That said, I putt better with the Detour than I did my White Hot XG which I had gamed for seven years!  The feel and sound are absolutely magical.  I plan to strip and re-apply the paint fill here pretty soon.  Until I can find someone that actually wants to buy an original Detour so that I can replace it with a less gaudy Scotty, this putter will be in my bag!

#22 BigJae

BigJae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132824
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

I've really grown to LOVE my detour. So much so that I bought another one. I removed the black paint fill and it's so much less distracting.

#23 BigJae

BigJae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132824
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Forgot to mention the models. I now have a detour 1 and 2. WooHoo!

#24 endy

endy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166935
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Got this putter as a gift, so I had to make myself like it. It definitely grew on me, the thing I could not get over is that I would catch myself trying to follow the arched line on the putter by adjusting my putter stroke and that created problems. I eventually sold it, but if you can get used to the curved line, it's a winner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors